Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT Training Wk June 13 - June 19

Another "Big Day"

Hello rockin peeps! How did last week’s training go?? Any good learning points? Something you care to share? Let’s hear it!! We are so fortunate to have such an awesome team with a TON of knowledge and most importantly MOJO!!! Who else is out there???

So this week…... “Big Day” - This is a day to swim, bike and run to practice stacking up the day! Just a steady day.  Coach P does a fantastic video during this week that explains exactly what your goals should be during this day. Check it out!

Things to pay attention to

• Again….. Nutrition- keep experimenting and figuring out what works.

• Watching your pacing (are you making mistakes early on?)

Don’t “rest” in-between but no need to go full fledge tri geek and set up transitions where you sprint from event to event

What coaches want to see this week is us talking about how we are going to prepare. Post your “big day” check list here, a chance to even practice your “race plan” and “race report”

Let’s not wait until after the big day to start discussing what we did or didn’t do. Lets plan it out, write it out and discuss it now so we can help each other. Then debrief with this awesome Crew after the big day on what worked and what didn’t.

This will set you up for your race rehearsals closer to race day.

****There is still time to find a friend who is racing IMMT or your other IM events and give them the best gift you could give someone— no not a power meter, a free 30 days of Endurance Nation. Sharing is caring! (and you get a TriSports GiftCard)**** give them friend@endurancenation.us email and we take care of the rest!

Ya’ll are EN rock stars…. soooo what’s on your mind?

*** SPONSOR OF THE WEEK:  INSIDETRACKER

InsideTracker is a personalized health analytics company founded by leading scientists, physicians, nutritionists and exercise physiologists from MIT, Harvard and Tufts University.

The InsideTracker platform tracks and analyzes key biochemical and physiological markers and applies sophisticated algorithms and large scientific databases to determine personalized optimal zones for each marker.

Inside Tracker

Discount: 20% to TeamEN Members

Code: ENDURANCENATION

*** EN GEAR:  Make sure to check out our AMAZING store at Trisports! http://www.trisports.com/endurance-nation.html

Comments

• Options
    Yo !

First big training day, will do it on Friday on the trainer since weather is not looking good here for both days. Will try to squeeze the long run on Saturday even if its raining for a final push of the 70.3

So far this week I did a 70.3 RR on Monday with a friend
    An eazy swim last night
    Will do the trehshold bike wkout tonight
    A swim tomorrow

I am racing MT 70.3 on 6/25 so next week will be a taper week for me

Its getting harder to run outside with the heat that we are finally having, I really see the difference, at least I am use to run with my fluids so I dont really have to adapt on that side
  • Options
    Fine work @Francis Picard
    Thanks for opening up the thread @Mariah Bridges !

I did the BIG day in week one, then a BBW (with a Ragnar Team Relay overnight at the end of the BBW) last week and am trying to recover and get back on the horse this week.

I can walk normal as of this morning but still fatigued when doing 6 X 5' Z3 work on the trainer early.

I encourage all to read the Big Day protocol in the wiki first and remind yourself of a few things:

First, if at all possible, try to do the swim up front before the bike vs. the day before.  If logistically you can't swing it, the day before is fine BUT, putting that swim up front will change a lot of things that help simulate racing.

Second, swimming up front impacts nutrition.....stay on top of that.  It is a lot different just hopping on the bike for a 4 hour ride vs. swimming for an hour then hopping on the bike......

Third, try to hit the intensity protocol in the plan for the bike and try to negative split the power profile.  week before last when I did mine this is what it looked like:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1016549349/analysis

If you are on the trainer, there is no issue stopping for a minute or two to stretch, go to the bathroom and replenish bottles but don't linger.......

4th, no need to kill yourself on the run....you just swam and biked for 5 hours.  Stretch off the bike, get some caffeine in there and follow the protocol......The run is where you will know if you got the nutrition right or not.....

My plan is to do what I can Saturday with no promises given I just came off of a ~30 hour bike/run week.

SS

• Options
    I know its early but not surprised this cause a big drama on facebook and ST:

The yellow section is where they was multiple crashed in the previous years.. its a big downhill where you enter a turn with shades.. imagine now with big rain like we had last year. As such they decided to put a no passing zones

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/No_pass_zones_at_IMMT_P6336393/

• Options
    Good morning peeps!

Part 1 of 2 split run this morning: https://www.strava.com/activities/1037625807

Warm, humid and slow...... <sigh>  Part 2 will be on the TM given we will be close to 100 degrees today....

Ran 5 miles at Z2/Z3 yesterday afternoon.....

What is everyone's status?

SS
  • Options
    Nice work @Shaughn Simmons

got my morning run in. Took my dog out for the second one and she didn't appreciate the heat so cut it 10 minutes short. Otherwise felt great.

Observations about double run days:
    -more time in the shower
    -more laundry
    -more difficult to explain the second run

• Options
    @Stephen Cogger you can mix laundry and shower together, thats how I do, all the soap falls on my clothes and it gets clean that way :) way to save time.

did the first big training day tomorrow, the swim went well, did the 4h bike on zwift while managing emails in the 5' rest and the run was good too.

doing a long run this afternoon and will start the HIM taper, next week is race week !!

how was everyone's big training day ?
  • Options
    Good work all the way around peeps.  I'm kinda in a hybrid EN plan/ Trent Hack plan coming off injury.  I hit it hard for the first time since surgery and rein jury this week with Tuesday's run before Zwift bike race with Ian, P, and gang and put myself into a hurt I haven't felt in awhile.  Wednesday I didn't let up with 8-800's at 6:00 pace, then Thursday did a VO2 bike followed by a run.  That all put me feeling in a hole I would get out of so I just swam long on Friday.  Today comes and I thought I might as well go for a century and brick to follow to see how it goes.  It ended up an interesting ride with 2 flats and getting a nice little dog bite in the upper thigh/A$$ area but finished strong under 5 hrs for 102 miles and followed it up with a 4 mile brick in the heat in sub 7:30's but it hurt.

Tomorrow I'll go long run and see how the legs feel. 
  • Options
    Good morning IMMT peeps!

Saw @Trent Prough @Coach Patrick @Scott Giljum out on Zwift this morning participating in the KISS race....great idea for early morning Tuesday bike intensity!

For those that did the BIG Day over the weekend, how'd it go?

Mine was fair.  3,200 yd swim, 4 hour bike on Zwift at ~.74 IF but had wifi interference in the last hour given 2 boys were downloading on 2 PS4s a game packet..... <sigh>   Had to defer the run because it was 103 degrees upon dismount and ran Sunday for 7 miles instead at ~90 degree heat index at 7:30 a.m......not ideal.

Swam yesterday.
    The longer biking and last week's BBW meant that I needed to reset my FTP from the OS/GF FTP

Did the test this morning: https://www.strava.com/activities/1045502474

Lost about 10% from the OS/GF FTP as a result of these long bike wkos and a switch from fast twitch to a slow twitch muscle base.......not sure if that is ideal but it is what it is at this point.

Have a great week all!

SS

• Options
    edited June 21, 2017 2:49PM
    Happy Summer Solstice all!

Happy Hump day as well!

Unusual break in the dew point for us this morning....we've been 73 - 75, just nasty dew point / humidity.  Saw 63 dew point this morning and ~73 degrees so took advantage of it and ran a 5K early.....6 miles on the TM yesterday...

Main wko today is a long swim.....with short repeats.....

No one bit on my previous question about how the long bike/big dat went so, here's another question:

What is your biggest challenge, limiter or focus area currently?  Time, scheduling, long bike watts, running durability, swimming?  etc?
  • Options
    Not sure where this came from but just PR'd my long distance swim time at lunch today:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1047605741

Who is doing split runs tomorrow?
  • Options
    Hey ho!

in taper mode for MT70.3 this week.

my 2 big challenges are :smile:

1) understand why I cant swim in an OWS
    2) Leaving 2 weeks familly vacation in July, will have to do BBW the week before + camp week at the same.. need to plan this next week.

@Shaughn Simmons nice swim !!! thats a good sign for the summer
  • Options
     Way to crush that swim over lunch, SS! 
    Enjoy the taper FP...you're gonna crush 70.3!
    my two biggest challenges:
    1) extreme heat in AZ ...record breaking as a matter of fact
    2) left knee soreness when pedaling on my bike....been resting/Icing it and praying for no pain Saturday.
    keep up the great work IMMT gang!