Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Larry Steinberg CdA 70.3 race plan

Hey all - I've been through this forum plus the site for race execution info. Execution has been a weakness of mine in the past and one of the main reasons for joining EN this year.  I've been racing tri's/multi-sport for ~26 years but mostly short course. Did a 70.3 19 years ago and IMCDA 8 years ago. Both were poorly executed and I suffered on the run. I'm bound to use 'patience and discipline' next weekend...

Swim: start slow/easy - move arms slowly I have to think. Use good technique and focus on using lats. Start pull with fingers; ladder drill.  Breath calmly, avoid swallowing air (problem at IM).

Bike: my FTP is 283 and I expect to ride around 3 hours. Target 80% power so 225 watts after 20 minutes of 200-210.  I pushed too hard on the 2nd race rehearsal (NP was 235; 83%) and struggled on the run. Need to back off this pace a bit - grateful I made the mistake practicing...  RR2 had 3900' of climbing and CdA has 3700' - will take the hills easier and plan on 'going backwards'.  Using infinit nutrition in 4 bottles plus a clif bar over the 3 hours. 

Run: I don't have a vdot as I didn't test. I have had some injuries and was focused on staying healthy during run training. @Coach Patrick put a plan together that worked out great - got my duration up to 4 hours a week, all zone 2, and no injuries... That said, pacing for the race is a little unknown. I did a couple of 8 milers at 9:45 pace, nervous that was my longest run but trust the process.

That said - keep the HR under 136 (upper Zone 2) and first 3 miles at 10mpm.  Walk 20 steps in each aide station. Sip water and take base salt. Clif blok every other mile until either low energy/blood sugar (take 1 every mile) or a stomach issue (stop eating).  Miles 3-8 - keep HR under 136 and pace should be 9:30+. Miles 8+: stay strong and keep moving.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Larry

Comments

• Options
    A few comments:
    • On the bike, emphasize staying aero as much as possible, even on those highway grade "hills" - they are less than 6% gradient, aero position is quite possible. 
    • Have you seen this chart, hidden deep within the wiki? It suggests for a 3 hour HIM bike split, an IF of 78% might be the best choice. The key to race execution success is to "underperform" just a touch on the bike, in order to give yourself sufficient reserve to keep increasing the effort throughout the run.

• On the run, pay primary attention to that Heart Rate. Let the pace take care of itself. Your goal is to keep running and not slow down. That means increasing the perceived effort throughout the run. Using HR to guide you - as a "rein" at the start, and a "whip" in the latter miles - is the best bet to accomplish that, especially if the temperature is higher than you have trained in.

• Options
    @Al Truscott  - I had not found that chart - thank you! Great advice for the run - I can identify with the 'rein' and 'whip'.
  • Options
    Just looking ahead, the Run shouldn't be too warm based on past weather. Leave the bike hydrated and nutritionally ahead of the game, you control this it's inside your box. 161m (568ft) of gain isn't very flat, to me anyways. Just keep that in mind with HR fluctuations and solid HR ceilings on hills. Take advantage of downhills with long strides, but no extra effort. 
    Just as @Al Truscott advised stay aero. It helps you not overpower by sitting up also. Use your gearing and be a ninja. Locking myself low in the bars paid off hugh for Me in Raleigh.  
    Keep your "One Thing" at the fore front when the suck starts sucking. 
  • Options
    @Josh Church  Thank you for the advice! Looking forward to getting started.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott - where is that chart hiding? needing the Full IM version!