Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

ITB

I am currently in week 8 of IM beginner getting ready for Lake placid. About 10 days ago, I injured my R knee. No trauma, just stated hurt on the run, now it hirts most of the time. just finished camp week, but was only able to complete about 75 minutes of the run. I have dx this as ITB syndrome. My questions are , do I plow through it and keep running? do I rest it and hope I will be fit for the IMLP? biking and swimming have no effect. currently, I am doing all the treatment and PT for it. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    @paul Reynolds - nicely done with the week, but hell no don't push that on the run. I'd be curious to know if you can do the elliptical without issues. If so, I would immediately have your transition there for the short time. Otherwise, let's get all those run volume is down to a distance which doesn't bother you as much. That could be anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes and we take the intensity in the distance out of all the sessions keeping you at  nicely done with the week, but hell no don't push that on the run.

I'd be curious to know if you can do the elliptical without issues. If so, I would immediately have your transition there for the short time. Otherwise, let's get all those run volume is down to a distance which doesn't bother you as much. That could be anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes and we take the intensity in the distance out of all the sessions keeping you at TRP effort
    for now. 

Let me know about alternate training options, and keep up the PT work. Lots of good stuff you can do that. 
  • Options
    Got my partner to inject some steroid in it. Feels better, but gonna hold the run for a few more days. Thanks for the answer.
  • Options
    @paul Reynolds -  wow! That's not usually one of my "options" for our athletes.   :D  I would suggest you give it until the weekend before you start testing it, using the swim and the bike as a means of getting loose. You will likely need to do some kind of a warm-up before you get into your actual runs. This can go along way to make you a better runner in general. Here's an easy one to do pre - run: https://youtu.be/YdenOdoz-MI

I also want you to explore some of the other training modalities that might work for you, so let me know about the elliptical too! 
  • Options
    Shot worked, able to run the 3 hour without pain. A little slower than last year, but still doable. Week 10 starts in 2 days, so hope to hit all runs. 
  • Options
    @paul Reynolds - that is fantastic news! I still encourage you to do the dynamic warm-up in the video above. All of those little steps still matter as the problem isn't necessarily gone, just the pain. Let's continue to be smart and cautious… Keep me posted!