Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Michele Cellai Syracuse 70.3 Race report

What a day it was. High winds. High temps. High hills.

My results are not showing on the official site, just my total time 6:55:24. These splits are from my watch.
Synopsis:
Swim 37:03
Winds caused waves that almost rivaled IM St. George 2012. OK, not quite, but still more than you woul expect. Thanks to our Master's coach. Those breath holding exercises came in handy when there was nothing but water as I turned to breathe. This swim time was about my usual, so since I was shooting for faster, this was really good in those conditions.
T1 7:58
It was a long run to T1 and I took my time. I get seasick easily and my head was spinning while my stomach churned. I wore a shortie wetsuit so I didn't need help, but I had to walk to transition. 
Bike 3:40
In the line for the bathroom, I learned that the hills are steep, there are a lot in the beginning and more after Mile 40. That the bike is longer than 56 miles. And that I would feel like a badass when I completed the bike. Pretty much all true.
I started the bike VERY slowly, which turned out well. After a gentle 1.5 mile downhill, it began a series of steep climbs. Now I am not a fast biker to begin, but 45 minutes for 8 miles?!?! The entire first half of the bike was either uphill or into a head wind. My stomach hurt but I kept taking in nutrition, I figured I was sitting up more than aero, so it would all work out. I was right. By the 2nd half of the bike, I felt great, had more tailwinds than head winds, a few hills to climb, but a lot more descending. To the EN Chicas Nemo Helen BrauchGina HamelLinda PatchKris Ellis VanceTracy Wood- I though of all of you. Remember, sometimes you just have to stand up to climb that hill.

The other thing- I forgot half my solid nutrition. You know that "nothing new" rule, out the window! I had citrus gels (for me, citrus usually causes nausea in the heat), and SPEARMINT flavored clif shots. When I grabbed them, I though "YUCK!" I don't even like spearmint gum! Both were not an issue. LUCKY!
T2 3:50
I had no desire to jog with my bike, so I walked to the rack. This was otherwise a quick and easy change up.
Run 2:25
I knew this would be a hot slog. At 90+ degrees, there was no way to try and reach for "race pace". Although the run profile looked intimidating, the run itself was no big deal. I live on a longer and steeper hill than anything on the run course. I set up my tortoise pace and never waivered other than walking the aid stations because I am incapable of getting water in my mouth while running. I was disappointed that some aid stations did NOT have ice and only had WARM water. The heat really hurt the big guys. Many started off running past me, only to be walking on loop 2 when I passed them. I ran through every sprinkler, was squirted with a hose by an old man living on the run course. Nice guy! 
I really appreciated the spectators that shouted my name since I was there alone.
Good day.

Overall. I would recommend this race if you are looking for a hilly challenge.

Comments