Home General Training Discussions
Options

Smart Trainer Recos - 2017 version

Similar to Dawn's thread of last May (but updated with any new products & feedback since then), I'm interested in a smart trainer.  Been riding my Cycleops Fluid forever, but now with Zwift, increasing danger on roads especially riding solo, need for hills, and time efficiency of a trainer, I'm researching smart trainers.  What do you all ride, would you recommend, and why?  Anyone have a Wahoo Kickr Snap?  I've read good things about it on a Zwift Ladies forum and it's certainly cost-effective.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Here are DC Rainmaker's recommendations for different price levels

$1600+ : Tacx  Neo

$1200-1300: Wahoo Kickr 2

$899: Tacx Flux

$479-650: Tacx Vortex, Cyclops Magnus or Kickr Snap (can't go wrong with any of these)

• Options
    To me, the key thing about a smart trainer is the "smart" part, not the "trainer" part. Having purchased and used two Tacx versions, and the Kickr, I've gotta say there is a world of difference in terms of ease of use and understanding between the two companies. The Kickr, for me, was basically plug and play - it took me all of five minutes to have it out of the box and functioning in a way that I could understand, and that communicated among all the pieces I needed, like head unit, on bike power meter, Kickr power meter.

The Tacx models, on the other hand, I never did get the hang of. It might be just me - I'm an Apple guy since 1984, and think that software should work for me, not the other way around. Or it might be that all the instructions seem to be (a) translations from whatever Language Tacx uses natively, (b) sparse and (c) not focused on what I actually want to do with the machine.

Kickr links smoothly with all the software and hardware I use, e.g., Wahoo cadence sensor, Timex HR monitor, PowerTap pedal power meter, Stages power meter, Garmin Fenix 3 watch, Joule head unit, Trainer Road, iPad monitor (same as iPhone, I suppose). Given there are at least seven different ecosystems there, and they all seem to be able to work together just fine, I'd bet that no matter what you use, you'll find that Wahoo plays nicely with it.

I never could figure out how to use the Tacx software effectively, and thus was stymied in trying to link it up with other systems. Others may have had more success, but given the difference in ease of use for me, it never seemed worth my time to slog through it. Maybe they've improved things in the past two years, but...
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle
    while not the highest recommended, but a good trainer, I have a cyclops powerbeam pro. 
    it is used, for about 6 months & in perfect shape. I have the original box, so shipping is not easy. 

I am not even sure how much $ to ask for it, but I'd like to sell it if interested. seems to be out there for $500, so clearly mine is really low in value now $ask 300? shipped (shipping is probably $50 on this thing)

https://www.cycleops.com/product/powerbeam
  • Options
    Great stuff all! 
    @Brian Hagan - I did not see that post; looks like fantastic info on there... thx so much for pointing it out to me!
    @Derrek Sanks - DC Rainmaker is such a wealth of info; I need to review his write up!
    @Al Truscott - well, I am a Wahoo (UVA grad) so am partial to Wahoo products.
  • Options
    @Julie Pfeifle  - please report back on what you decide and how you like it.  I have and continue to use a Cyclops Powerbeam Pro that just will NOT die.  I've had it for at least 5 years, use it several times a week year round, and I'm ready for an upgrade.  I want a newer model that is much quieter (just about any of the current generation, especially direct drive, are quieter), and I want erg mode in discrete units of 1 watt (mine is only adjustable in 10 watt increments).  

• Options
    Unless you are buying used, DON'T buy a trainer at this time of year.  All of the new models come out later in the year, in time for "trainer season" and that's also when the best deals happen.

I have a tacx vortex smart and had no issues with software / connectivity.  I've no need for the tacx app (iPhone) other than to check my calibration once every month or so.  I've used it with Zwift as well.  I did have some issues there, but those were due to my out-dated PC not being capable of running Zwift, not anything to do with the trainer.