Home General Training Discussions
Options

Aero Helmets - How bad are the old long-tailed helmets?

Hi, last time I raced triathlons was 2010, when tear-dropped helmets with long tails were still the standard. So that is what I have to race in now. How much worse are these than the new aero helmets with shorter tails?

From what I understand, the helmet is a relatively cheap place to make yourself a lot more aero (since it is pretty wide & at the leading edge), relative to something like a new wheel set. I currently have an old Louis Garneau helmet with a long tail & the golf ball dimples on the front.

These links suggest that long aero helmets "perform" significantly worse than shorter tailed helmets:

http://www.triathlete.com/2014/02/gear-tech/tech-trend-compact-aero-helmets_94712

http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/what-happened-to-long-aero-helmets

Yet, Rudy Project does still have an aero helmet with a tail (granted, it does look shorter than those of the past):
https://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=3&cat_id=87&item_id=HL506961US

If you can tag me in your reply, that would be much appreciated. Sometimes it seems like I get no notification of replies and then cannot find my original comment in this discussion area.

Thanks!
-Larry Peters

Comments

• Options
    So here are my thoughts on aero helmets and the long tails: when your neck gets tired and you look downward, the tail goes up thereby defeating the "aero-ness" of the helmet.  Lot's more wind resistance with that tail sticking up.  Also, I'm all about trying to find the balance between aero and comfort during IM. You aren't going to go fast if you are in pain or overheating in a tight helmet with minimal ventilation no matter how aero you are.  I don't really know all the tech improvements since 2010, but I've got to think the newer aero helmets have more ventilation to help with the overheating.  And if your neck gets tired on a long day, I'd stay away from the longer tail.

• Options
    @Larry Peters -- tagging as requested: see my earlier reply to you above.
  • Options
    as @tim cronk will tell you, it's all about the user and what you test faster in. there is no "right" for everyone. 
    if you check out slowtwitch, the helmet du jour seems to be the Giro Aerohead
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2017 1:58PM
    https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/profile/Larry Peters .... They are still plenty fast.   To be honest (and this is coming from a guy who agonized over and tested helmet choices), it would probably be no different than a new gen shorter helmet. 

Is is it the LG rocket you have?  Or the Vortice?
  • Options
    I still use the Giro Advantage II I've had for years. I think as long as you keep your head down, as Tony indicated above, they're still just as good!
  • Options
    Thanks so much @Tony Ledden, @Scott Dinhofer, @Dave Tallo and @Scott Alexander!!

Sorry about my delayed reply, but I really appreciate it!

That makes sense @Tony Ledden. At this point, I'm only planning on a 70.3 (lots less time) and hoping to have a bike split under 2hr45min. I was able to keep my head in aero position pretty well during last week's race rehearsal, so I think based on that and the info from others in this thread, the helmet will probably work just fine. (Granted, my neck muscles were sore for a couple days, but it was a good muscle sore, and not a joint sore).

@Dave Tallo I am pretty sure I have the Louis Garneau Superleggera Helmet (with the optional wind shield). It is wider than some other helmets like the Giro Advantage II, but probably does add drag, but I was really happy with my bike split on last week's race rehearsal, so I think that is a good sign.

Sweet, thanks @Scott Alexander, I appreciate that vote of confidence!

I had a great bike split on my race rehearsal last week while wearing the long-tailed helmet, so that was very reassuring.

Now I can send back the newer helmet I bought during a 4th of July promotion & save myself some $$$$. :)

Thanks a ton!!!!
    -Rob