Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

KARL BONNER FRANKFURT 2017 RACE PLAN

KARL BONNER   FRANKFURT 2017 RACE PLAN

CAVEATS :

1)    THIS IS PRACTICALLY A COPY PASTE OF Juan Vergara’s RACE PLAN LAYOUT (I really liked the clear & concise layout & make no apologies for copying it).

2)    IT IS LONG AND DETAILED. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK (AND TIME CONVENIENCE).

WHILE NO RACE IS EQUAL TO ANOTHER, THIS PLAN IS BASED ON THE POSITIVE EXPERIENCE FROM MY LAST IM RACE : VICHY 2016 + adding what I have learned since …. and AS ALWAYS, totally open to your critique and input!!!). 

TARGETS:

DISCIPLINE, EXECUTE, RACE THE RACE YOU SHOULD … WITH EN NINJA DISCIPLINE !!!! STAY IN THE BOX …. STAY IN THE MOMENT  

…. FOCUS IN THE PROCESS … FORGET THE OUTCOME.

DISCIPLINE

PROCESS

TIME TARGET

SWIM

SWIM SMOOTH - (I GO FASTER) maintain perfect form and direction.

01:20:00

T1

Minimize faff in T1 and proceed slow-smooth-fast. Only put what I NEED in bag, put on what I have to, sort everything else on the move or on the way to my bike.

00:05:00

BIKE

BIKE STEADY - 0.69 IF (“save watts” for best possible run execution); stay focused. – Eat drink as planned below. STAY FOCUSED, LISTEN FOR YOUR FEED ALARMS, DON’T SURGE.

06:00:00

T2

Minimize faff in T2 and proceed slow-smooth-fast. Only put what I NEED in bag, put on what I have to, sort everything else on the move (walking & sorting is better than sitting & sorting)

00:05:00

RUN

RUN STRONG & FOCUSED. Out of T1 run to HR 135/9:45 for as long as necessary. Once settled into a groove decide if HR can drift up 10-BPM (after 8mi) or stay in groove. Walk 20-30 steps every station.

04:20:00

TOTAL

ENJOY EVERY MINUTE BEFORE-DURING-AFTER WHILE FOCUSING ON DISCIPLINED EXECUTION THE EN WAY… ALL THE WAY!!!! LET THE OUTCOME BE A CONSEQUENCE!!!

11:50:00 

This is my 2nd full Ironman, although I know what to expect & I had a great race in my first at Vichy (I ran a neg split marathon after a very disciplined bike & my first non-wetsuit swim at any distance & to equal that achievement would be highly satisfying), I would however like to beat my time of 11:59:48 but all races are different & as long as I execute well, I’ll be happy.…... 

That said, the time targets above are just a pacing reference. Once the gun goes off FORGET THOSE TIME NUMBERS .. …. FOCUS 200% IN EXECUTING THIS PLAN WITH PATIENCE AND DISCIPLINE .., THINK FORM, WATTS, FLAT COURSE, NUTRITION, CADENCE, FORM AGAIN, PACE, HR, NUTRITION AGAIN … FORGET THE OUTCOME.

TRAVEL AND PRE-RACE WEEK:

Travel to Frankfurt on Thursday 6th July, flight is due to arrive at 4:30. Aim of the day is to get my wife, me & my bike to hotel, have dinner, that’s it… simple…!?!?!?.

Stay focused on the race throughout the week ... BUT, don’t obsess, you have your check lists, you’ve done the training, you belong! Don't be afraid to look around Frankfurt a bit and take in the atmosphere a bit as well (you may never come here again?). If I’ve forgotten anything, if anything broke or got lost in transit, no stress, there is one of the world’s best tri stores on your doorstep (the expo).

FRANKFURT WEEK SCHEDULE

WEEK DAY

EARLY A.M.

MORNING

LUNCH

AFTERNOON

EVENING

MONDAY

July 3rd

RUN (AS PER PLAN)

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CLEAN/WASHED 

TUESDAY

July 4th

SWIM (Masters but only 1hr)

START PACKING

WEDNESDAY

July 5th

1hr Bike (On roadie AS PER PLAN)

FINISH PACKING (if not already)

THURSDAY

July 6th

TRAVEL DAY

DROP TED @ PARENTS

ARRIVE IN FRANKFURT @ 16:30

PUT BIKE TOGETHER

Stretch & roll

FRIDAY

July 7th

Stretch & roll

REGISTER & EXPO. Visit most convenient supermarket for basic supplies.

SMALL BIKE & RUN (on run course if possible, maybe ride to lake)

Race briefing @ 4 pm, finish line grandstand.

Check ALL GEAR and Charge Garmin’s (bike and wrist). Check all connections after charging. PUT NEW BATTERIES ON HRM, FOOTPOD).

Prepare gear and bags

Stretch & roll

SATURDAY

July 8th

SWIM (if available, no sweat if not)

Tunes on, relax + Stretch & roll

Snooze if I can (I’ll sleep badly tonight so any extra is good)

CHECK IN AND RACE BRIEFING(3:30-7:00)

LEGS UP IN ROOM after breifing

5PM PREPARE MORNING GEAR AND NUTRITION (CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, TRIPLE CHECK)

6:30pm pre race dinner

Stretch & roll

lights off 9pm

(*)
I won’t get the opportunity to recon the bike course this year, it’s just the way it is & there is no point in a), trying to cram it in (I don’t even know if can), b), worrying about it. I’ve studied as best as I can all the videos of the course on YouTube, I know where the key Hills & cobbles are.

SATURDAY BEFORE RACE DAY:   If I can get a swim done at the race venue, great (it’s likely to be non-wetsuit), if not & it’s in a pool, also great, if I can’t get one in, it’s no big deal. Bike and bags check in at defined time of day … walk transition to locate bags/bike, study terrain from swim exit to bike bag pick up, to T1 to bike position, to mount area, to run bag pick up … and return to hotel. Take all the time needed to understand the set-up and ask volunteers all the questions I can think of. …. After race briefing, go back to hotel and stay inside my hotel, mostly in my room, legs up as much as possible ….triple check Garmin’s charge (wrist and bike), and prepare 2 bike bottles (refrigerate). Stretch a couple times during the day … Plenty of tunes loaded on Mac & iPod …. Visualize race during the afternoon and remember: “Be process oriented, but also enjoy your first time in this awesome race”. Eat pasta, pizza or steak, all tried & tested, all work just fine, after dinner FORGET about the race and attempt lights off 9pm.

NUTRITION:

I feed every 20 mins on the bike & have an alarm to remind me, Cliff bars, energy drink & gels + salt stick tablets @ 2 & 4hrs, this works for me in hot or cold conditions. Bars & caffeine gels will be in my Tri top, drinks & other gels will be on my bike. For the run I use gels every 20-40 mins, saltstick every hour & ill most likely hit the Cola at the halfway point (it’s something I actually look forward to & keeps me going) and keep sipping it until the end with whatever else I can stomach on the day.

GEAR & BAGS :

BIKE

Front:  1 small Saltstick dispenser on aero bars fully loaded / bottle of SIS energy BTA.

Frame: Bento box -  4x High 5 banana gels, 1x GU mocha gel/ bottle of SIS energy.

Under seat bag: SPARES KIT + 2 x C02 cartridges + CO2 adaptor + 2x tubes + mini-tool kit + quick link + emergency patch + gloves + 2x zip ties.

T1 BAG :

Endura D2Z tri top with cliff bars + 2x SIS caffeine gels in pockets, bike shoes with Garmin in left shoe (turn on as I make way to bike), helmet & glasses, race belt, chamois cream.

BIKE SPECIAL NEEDS (for emergency use only)

Antichaff and paracetamol "just in case"

T2 BAG :

Running shoes – Fresh socks (inside shoes), chewing gum in shoe (genius, it’s like brushing your teeth)

Sun visor, wristbands (with 3x salt tabs in “hidden” pocket), ZIP BAG WITH 8x High 5 Iso gels (for race belt, 3 in arm band already, 2 for top) + clean sun glasses + sum screen. Unfortunately, I just can’t stomach Powerbar gels so have to take my own.

RUN SPECIAL NEEDS (for emergency use only)

Dry socks

Salty snack "just in case"

Antichaff and paracetamol "just in case"

RACE DAY: 

03:30 am - Wake up and immediately have breakfast: Porridge with maple syrup & coffee

From there on, do everything slowly:

PUT ON:

Endura D2Z Tri shorts + timing chip.

Garmin 920 fully charged - turn on 20 minutes prior to start

Garmin HRM strap.

Timing Chip

TAKE WITH ME BAG:

wetsuit and swim skin + swim caps + goggles + earplugs

+ bottles of SIS energy (if not left on bike) + Extra Anti Chaff + track pump

Disposable socks & running shoes

Warm up elastic bands

Wear jacket and pants to stay warm  

04:30am Leave room/hotel. Walk 15’ to shuttle bus, ride bus to T1. 

15min walk to shuttle – shuttle 25mins to lake

05:15am - arrive at T1, Drop off special needs bags at place, Go to bike, check tyre presure + add nutrition that not already there. LEAVE TAKE WITH ME BAG, with my wife, go through transition process again. 

Exit T1 asap and relax close to swim entrance (stay off my feet as much as possible!!!).  

05:45 - eat banana or cereal Bar. 

06:20 - Lub on neck then wetsuit/swim skin on up to waist, land warm up.

06:30 - take one SIS/ISO gel with water then wetsuit upper body on and get in the water asap to warm up in water and seed (location tbd after practice swims).

06:40 - Race Start

THE SWIM: Start strong & try to find some feet, then settle into race pace, ideally behind “faster feet” all along, stay focused on FORM-FORM-FORM AND GOING STRAIGHT!!. Go only as fast as good form is maintained. Be prepared for heavy and AGGRESSIVE traffic …. Hitting-kicking-grabbing will happen, don’t allow it to get me out of my box … it is what it is!! Don't get frustrated in the last 200 mts when I can see the exit, but feel like going backwards. Just roll with it and keep heading for the exit. Prepare for the stairs coming out and DO NOT RUN CRAZY UPON EXIT … need to begin lowering HR.  Pull upper part of wetsuit over waist off while running.

T1:  THINK SLOW IS SMOOTH AND SMOOTH IS FAST but …., grab bag, enter tent, sit , pull suit off legs and empty bag, apply generous helping of chamois cream, put on top, race belt, helmet, glasses & shoes, turn on garmin, leave tent. At the bike, put garmin on mount, remove bike and cautiously run to mount line. DO NOT RUSH at the mount line, beware of those rushing around”.

THE BIKE: EXECUTION-EXECUTION-EXECUTION!!! FLATTEN THE COURSE!!! DRINK-EAT-DRINK-EAT ACCORDING TO PLAN. Begin nutrition when initial traffic clears. Ride @ 65% Easy Admin first few km or until HR back to “normal” then settle into 69% (smooth & steady). Pedal up & over the Hills, flatten the course. Skip first aid station (unless dropped anything) – As of second station grab water and Isoactive as needed at all stations. Eat per plan every 20 minutes (to alarm), 1x saltstick every 2 hours, generally when concentration starts to waver take sis double espresso caffeine gel.

PATIENCE-PATIENCE-PATIENCE!!! Stay aero and relaxed all the way (use small hills and turns to rest the butt!!! Without leaving watts target!!! DISCIPLINE-DISCIPLINE-DISCIPLINE).

Just before each of the aid stations take stock, plan what you need, get what you need. At the aid stations, grab an isoactive first, then grab water and stay cool. If warm+ be soaked as much of the day as possible. Don't squirt face as glasses will smudge. Down my back, my neck, etc. Stay aero.  

STAY IN THE BOX, paying attention to the road and other bikes but “ignoring” distractions.

Occasionally glance at the gorgeous Bavarian landscape and immediately go back to the box!!!

MANY people will be sitting up like a sail in the last 20 miles, remember this and smile … if neck is sore or lower back hurts, just stay aero and pedal (got plenty of time to go upright later). If need to stretch, do it immediately before or after an aid station (or on any hills) then get ass back down on those aerobars. "STAY AERO" keeping head DOWN, out of the wind. Important: staying aero is important. BUT, it's even more important to stay safe!!

Drink all liquid in the bottles during last mile of the bike.

When T2 visible slowly take feet out of my shoes and prepare to dismount VERY CALMLY (this is not an ITU race)

T2: THINK SLOW IS SMOOTH AND SMOOTH IS FAST but …. Grab T2 bag, Run to tent entrance, sit to empty bag, put helmet & glasses in bag, put on shoes, grab "zip bag", stand up, out RUNNING thru the tent.  Drink normally at T2 aid station!!! As I make my way to the run course, put on Visor, wrist band (to wipe nose), arm band, turn around race belt/number and “new” sunglasses, un zip top & open my zip bag. start to load nutrition into pockets. Save go-bag!!

THE RUN : EXECUTION-EXECUTION-EXECUTION!!! DRINK-EAT-DRINK-EAT ACCORDING TO PLAN. Run the EN way … out of T1 run 9:45m/mi for as long as necessary to lower HR to 135 (pay attention to HR early) and thereon never exceed 135bpm or 9:45 pace - while executing nutrition as planned. From the very start pay constant attention to Cadence (85-90) and form (forward, proud and relaxed). Increase cadence and slow down on hills. Walk 20-30 steps every station and use them to stay 100% within nutrition plan EAT-DRINK-EAT-DRINK. If hot, grab all ice possible to lower temperature. Stay focused on nutrition plan right before and during aid stations 1 gel every 30mins + saltstick every hour, hydrate!!!… do everything the EN way: DISCIPLINE-DISCIPLINE-DISCIPLINE!!!

IF HOT: use the sponges and water and ice (save zip-bag to “stock” ice at aid stations to use as cooling device between stations)., and whenever possible leave the aid station with a full go-bag of ice.. Hold the ice in hands and chew ice on the go./ zip up top during strong head winds to avoid parachute effect.

JW’s advice : In the last half of the marathon, take 5-10 seconds while running and get within sight of the aid station to mentally assess state of being. Do I need nutrition? Salt? Fluids? Am I hot? How is my HR? Can I see straight? This 10 seconds won't slow me, but it might save a meltdown. This forced self-assessment is great to bring back to reality .. after the aid station need to disconnect my brain from the pain and just run like I know how. Keep that brain disconnected until I can see the next aid station then take stock of myself again. Repeat this process every mile (especially the last 10 or so). Process, process, process. Focus on the moment and not on the outcome. When it comes to the run, treat it like 24 x1mi repeats at easy pace. Each mile is its own event. 

Focus on form each time it gets hard!

Remember “WHY” when it gets harder: BECAUSE YOU CAN & SO MANY OTHERS CAN’T, MAKE YOUR FAMILY PROUD, PROVE YOU ARE NOT ALL TALK & A ONE TIME WONDER. THINK OF TED!

And when it GETS EVEN HARDER THAN HARD its time to draw the reserves of mental strength and hear Patrick saying : Slowing down on the run is not an option … honor your training self.  And keep saying to myself: off course your legs hurt, you just biked 112mi, but this is exactly where I want to be, the pain will pass, I DON’T STOP WHEN IM TIRED, I STOP WHEN IM DONE & IM DONE WHEN I CROSS THE LINE!"

Be mentally strong for final 10k push!

Golf shot down the finish shoot & putt over the line !!!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2, 2017 6:20PM
    Hey Karl,

Solid plan. You know what you're doing. You picked a pretty spectacular race. Unbelievably well organized. I recall some aid stations going on forever, staffed by what seemed like hundreds. In some US IMs, I've seen some aid stations comprised of two tables and a dozen teenagers. Take the shuttle with your bike on Saturday and swim all you want in the lake. The water is crystal clear. Tons of athletes swimming, then changing on the shore, creating a very large nudist colony (for better or worse, men make up a huge majority of the racers). You can also warm-up swim race morning, just be done by 6:20. Unlike most US races, the swimmers are quite strong and straight. No breastroking. Just find some bubbles and get it done. Bike course is pretty stunning and fun. You visit downtown, countrysides and lots of little hamlets. Spectators are great. There are cobbles (which suck, especially if there's rain) and hills. Road conditons are otherwise perfect. Heartbreak Hill is easy the first loop, somewhat beastly the second. The run has to be the fastest out there. Pancake flat, on compacted gravel, 100% lined with spectators. The finish is nothing short of spectacular. It's only hard if it's hot, which it isn't going to be this year. The post-race athlete village has showers and changing tents, although most just changed out in the open, creating another nudist colony. And, of course, everyone has a big stein of beer in their hand while they stand around clothes-free. The awards banquet was a blast, especially if you like German beer. Which flowed constantly. Above all, enjoy the experience. 
  • Options
    Hey Mike

That's great info, especially about the swim, many thanks. Im looking forward to it even more now & yes, I've been to Germany a couple of times and they're not shy about getting naked :-)