Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

IM Canada Resources - Race Execution Notes & 99 FAQs

Hiya IM Canada racers. I prepared these two resources a few years ago and thought you may find them helpful as we get into RR2 and more detailed thinking about race execution. 

Note that the swim format has since changed (and shoes can no longer be mounted on bikes), but most other details are up to date. 

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/18847/im-canada-execution-notes#latest

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/18846/im-canada-faqs#latest

Comments

• Options
    I noted a couple of things I'm wondering about...
    1. The swim start isn't a mass start anymore, is it? I believe it is a rolling start now.
    2. You noted that the bike course is two loops....the map looks like a one-way point-to-point ride. Can you clarify? 
    3. T1 and T2 are two separate areas, right? So when you start, your bike is in T1, but when you finish, your bike is in T2. Correct? Or am I wrong? 
    Thanks for this! It's hugely helpful.
  • Options
    Thanks Kori.  That's right - the swim format has changed since these posts and its now a rolling start.  

And t1 and t2 are separate areas.   But they will shuttle your t1 bags back for pickup in one spot at the end of the race.
  • Options
    Oh - the two loops on the bike thing is probably an edit from and earlier/different race that I forgot to edit out.   Good catch.  The race is one loop.   
  • Options
    @Dave Tallo thanks for the post. This is great information, specially for first timers like me.

I have been constantly debating on equipment for this race. Being my first IM and considering the elevation, I am not sure on what bike to ride: road or tri? they have the same gearing ratio.

Thanks for any imput
  • Options
    Tri.  No question. 
  • Options
    transportation from Vancouver to Whistler... we rented a car so we can drive the course....  dumb idea?  or good idea?
    @Dave Tallo @Jenn Edwards @Laura Becker
  • Options
    Good idea for the intended purpose ... the course definitely deserves a full recon.  However, if you instead went by coach from YVR to whistler and didn't have a car, you can hop on a regional bus that goes along the northern part of the course - and the most considerable clinb - to pemberton.