Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLakePlacid RACE WEEK! 2017

RACE WEEK! 

Everyone started this journey for different reasons, at different times and here we are, coming together to execute and CRUSH the Ironman LP course. It may be your first or another one of many but each time we have to dig into ourselves and find out "WHY DO WE DO THIS CRAZY THING?"

You're welcome to share your "One Thing" or keep it to yourself but remember, practice this now. Look yourself in the mirror and say it out loud. Your body hears what your mind says. Tell yourself WHY however many reasons and one things it takes.

Remember to focus on the mental game. Do not underestimate this 5th Ironman discipline, it might be one of the most important ones.

When you are in doubt remember this….YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED!  You've put in the hard work, the learning, the training, the tank is full, you have all the tools. Put it all together on race day and be proud with whatever outcome you see. Smile and enjoy this day. Remember to be kind to your family, friends, volunteers. Represent EN well. Take time to thank the ones that have gotten you here. Love on those friends, spouses.

-----------------------------------------------------

Doing everything right for 20 weeks, executing perfectly on the swim and bike is only going to get you to the The Line as discussed previously, but make no mistake, it will come and when it does, have those One Things ready at the forefront!

Summary: During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 132 miles. This is really starting to get old and very painful. If I see another Strawberry Banana Gel I might throw up. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!" If you don't have an answer ready, your day could be over right here.

Advice: Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" In other words, you need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 4:10? .

1. Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. Practice makes perfect and this is a critical thing to have ready for when your body starts to push back.

2. Be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand.

Now team, do me a favor, take a deep breathe.... yes I mean it.... in through the nose, out through the mouth and SMILE. Are you doing it? Still not joking, DO IT!!!

It has been an honor to be your Race Captain. I am here all week if you need to vent, have any questions etc. 

EN SCHEDULE: 

Thursday: Team Dinner - Crowne Plaza 

Friday: Team Swim - Mirror Lake 

Four Keys ... Mandatory - Movie Theater 

GroupME will start Wednesday and we will remind you of all the above times etc. MAKE SURE YOURE ON THE GROUP.... Its easier to download the APP then you can mute it and return when you wish. 

Please TEXT me if you need me instead of asking here, as I may not see it traveling! 

Mushy part over.... GO CRUSH THIS COURSE!

**** Go over the admin notes from race captain thread and the random thoughts from race captain thread to make sure you've done all your admin duties, social media stuff etc*****

Comments

• Options
    I just have to say that I really enjoyed my bike workout today.  Even though we have goals and challenges, this is all about having fun.  Sometimes painful, but still fun.  Now fun is one of my 1 things.  Gratitude to be able to do this fun stuff with great people(EN) and support of family is another 1 thing.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more....as I go into this week and consider race day...and the anxiousness associated with it ...and the goals I consider....I am stepping back and remembering that at the end...I want to enjoy the experience.
  • Options
    @Robert SaboPeople always ask me why I'm out there doing this, because it's fun.  It's not always good or easy but when you put in this much time you have got to like it.

• Options
    For her college application, my daughter wrote this as her essay.  I thought I would share it with everyone.
    My daughter will be attending Siena College this fall where she will be swimming for the Saints.

Once again I was texting my friend for a ride to practice. My parents were both exercising, probably on their bikes, leaving me to find a ride. Again.

In July 2014 my parents signed up for their first Ironman triathlon. I was so excited to go to Lake Placid and cheer them on. Little did I know, that year would include many hours of my brother and I being home alone while my parents were training. After a long year, on July 23, 2015, we packed the car and headed to Lake Placid. 

Like most athletes, my parents were concerned with their pre-race meals. The first three days we were there consisted of chicken and rice for dinner. Every night. We were sick of chicken and rice by race day! At 3:30 am on Ironman morning my mom came into my room extremely nervous. I just wanted to go back to bed, so I said “you’ll be fine, good luck” and went back to sleep. Two hours later I walked down to where the swim would start.  I’ve been a swimmer for nearly 10 years.  The swim is my favorite part so I got there early to find a good spot to watch. By 6 am AC/DC was booming from the speakers and everyone was getting ready to start. Before I knew it they were off. As the first few people emerged from the water, I noted their times to compare them to mine. I thought to myself  “when I do an Ironman, I want to be one of the first persons out of the water.” 

The house we rented was right on the bike and run course, so we set up a spot with signs, cow bells, and noise makers. My favorite memory of the bike course was when my mom came around for the first loop. She stopped, got off her bike, and gave me a huge hug. At that moment I was so proud to call her my mom. I am who I am today because of the many accomplishments that she has achieved and shared with me. She has taught me how to work hard and how to set goals, but most importantly, she has taught me not to take anything for granted and to cherish both the big and the small moments in life. 

When my dad finished it was filled with many emotions. All of his hard work and determination had paid off. “You are an Ironman!”, the words many athletes dream of hearing from the famous Ironman announcer Mike Reilly, rang over the PA system. Hearing those words is something I will always remember. It is the day that inspired me to someday do an Ironman.  Watching my parents set a huge goal, work hard all year, and then being there to see them accomplish it has showed me how to not be afraid to think big!

The official cut-off for the race is midnight and as that time nears thousands of people line the Olympic Oval cheering on every finisher.  The atmosphere is filled with amazing energy as everyone comes out to celebrate the race and the day. Ironman isn’t about winning, it’s about achieving.  Every athlete regardless of when they finish has their name called out with “You are an Ironman”, it’s the moment they achieved their goal.  It’s inspiring.

This approach to life that my parents have taken; setting challenging goals and working hard to achieve them, is now part of who I am. Whether it’s during a swim workout trying to make a difficult time interval or setting goals in school, I know that hard work and perseverance will always pay off.

In late July, the 2017 Ironman Lake Placid registration opened.  Guess what?  Mom and Dad signed up.  Good thing I like chicken.

• Options
    This is amazing - I love it when people share these moments keep it coming team! 
  • Options
    SO AWESOME!!! I cannot WAIT to get up there to see you all!! 
    Thinking of all of my amazing EN teammates getting ready.
    Listen to this song. :-)
    You WILL be a champion. The world WILL know your name.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtgoDXEOxTM
  • Options
    OK - a taper bike ride like today IS FUN... what I have been doing the last month eh lets just say it was fun afterwards....

@PL- great essay thanks for sharing

All packed up, bike is clean , new tires/tubes installed, new PM battery, Di2 is charged, fast haircut, nails clipped, shaved, dropped the dogs off at summer camp... Lil swim in the am and then drive to LP tomorrow!
  • Options
    @peter lautenslager - priceless! is she a rising senior? or is she off to school in august? if so, where to? I probably couldn't have paid my daughter to write her essay about the one ironman she felt forced to watch.. 

Bike is being dropped off by LBS after doing my 2nd full on drive train cleaning in 2 weeks, new car hitch & rack installed, hair cut, new tires & tubes in the last two weeks. Run this evening, short run in the AM and you can find me in mirror lake tomorrow afternoon if all goes well 

• Options
    Hard to believe that all those months of training are history and we are about to face our internal self esteem.  Could not agree more with Dr Sabo that at some point during the race you must smile and enjoy the effort, feel privileged to be here and are having fun.  I always manage the angst by reminding myself that "it's only a day."  See you all soon. Rest well
  • Options
    @Rick Goullaud  - saw your name on the list last night and was thinking of that moment we shared on the inbound in the sun on river road last year. Glad to see you are back. Look forward to reconnecting in LP!
  • Options
    Jumped into the bay for a morning OWS...1 mile and now packing for LP....nerves, butterflies, excitement....
  • Options
    My "one thing" this year has been a little ephemeral. Two years ago, I did this race with a bunch of friends. This time around, I'm solo, and while a couple of friends who are/were training for other races have occasionally trained with me, it's been tough. The physical training got done; the mental training has been tough to maintain. Last week, one of those friends developed SIPE after an open water swim, and two days ago, he had triple bypass surgery. His season is over, and he's convinced his Ironman days are over. Maybe, maybe not, but on Sunday, I'll be racing for him.
  • Options
    holy shizz, glad your friend is ok! I am assuming the 3x bypass is not a result of sipe, but that sipe was a result of an unknown cardiac condition? 
    even though I was misdiagnosed with a cardiac ailment when i went for a screening and upturned my life for a year, ^^This^^ stresses why we all should get screened for such things. 
  • Options
    Yes, @Scott Dinhofer the SIPE was a result of the stress on his heart caused by the blockages, which he wasn't aware of. He had a stress test about a year ago which showed nothing. He even had an echocardiogram at the ER after the SIPE episode which showed nothing. The cardiologist is convinced there's no such thing as SIPE and insisted they run more tests. The contrast calcium scan lit up like a Christmas tree, which led to a catheterization, which showed the blockages. Quite a shock for him and his family and all of his friends. He's thin, he's very active, and he was incredibly lucky. 
  • Options
    Yikes that is scary ,.... best wishes to your friend; does anyone know anything about bike course road closures is it possible to move around the area on race day? I.e. Staying in Wilmington and able to watch bike but then drive into LP in afternoon? Thanks
  • Options
    @Joseph Lombardi - one side of the road is always open on race day.  Your wife will have to go the long way around and park on the outside of LP. Maybe see if there is something on the IM website that can provide some info.

• Options
    @Joseph Lombardi - in your race bag is a guide for spectators with all parking shuttle info..