Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Matt Limbert IM 70.3 Canada Race Plan 2017

edited July 17, 2017 10:41PM in Racing Forum 🏎

Hey Team, this will be my first race plan with Endurance Nation, so I really appreciate any and all input.

Ironman Canada 70.3

Personal Stats: 44yo, 5’9”, 165 lbs., 1:34/100m, 283 FTP, 225 NP race rehearsal = 0.80 IF & 168 TSS,  60 vDOT.

Goals:  Focus on the execution. All business, but keep a sense of fun.

Back Story:

I have followed the EN training format and discussions for about a year and half. I picked IM 70.3 Canada, because my wife and I have never been to Whistler. It seemed like an interesting location and a good venue for a mid-summer race. I didn’t quite know the that much about the course, but I heard that IM Canada was more challenging. So, I have a lot to learn about the course. The Ironman and 70.3 races are on the same course on the same day. The IM swim is two loops and 70.3 just one. The bike course is the same for the IM and 70.3 for the first 40 miles. The 70.3 bike course turns around before the long flat Pemberton section.

I have enjoyed learning as part of the EN and felt my fitness improve. I attended Al Truscott’s Bad Ass Camp and appreciated meeting some to the people behind the posts. I quickly learned I need to focus on my execution and find my own major and marginal gains. So, for this race I am prioritizing rule #1 –Execution, not fitness.

This my first shot at a detailed race plan and post, so I really appreciate any and all input.

Pre-Race: 

Sat: High-carb / low fiber breakfast. Pack T1 & T2 bags. Drive bike course. Ride the downhill to Pemberton. Check-in bike and drop off T1 bag. Walk the swim exit and note where to turn, change tents, relative position of the bike in transition. Practice swim. Get a feel for the water clarity, temperature and sight lines. Light lunch. Drop off T2 bag. Read or watch movie. Dinner. Pack race day bag.

Sun: Wake: 4:30. Breakfast – Powerbar, GU, and sip bottle of Gatorade endurance. Sunscreen, lube, chip, EN tri-suit.  Race day bag. Catch the 5:15 shuttle to T1.

Once at TA, body mark, top off tires, attach/turn on/Garmin 510 and synch with Power meter. Sunglasses, 6X GU on bike, 2 bottles – aero bottle (GE) and seat tube (water). Double-check placement of transitions bags, make sure they’re closed, but not knotted.

(I feel like this is going to be a long morning. The IM starts at 6:50 and the 70.3 starts at 8:45, with transition closing at 7:00. This will leaves some time to wait for the 70.3 start. I’ll use this time to watch the first waves of IM athletes for any insight on the swim, sit, warm-up, stretch and try to relax. I also expect some initial traffic on the opening 40 miles with both IM and 70.3 athletes on the same course.)

Race Execution:

Swim:    Goal:  Find rhythm early. ~31ish I had mixed results in previous swims. Mostly from starting too fast or navigation.

Execution: Get a good warm-up. Either in the water or on land. Raise the body temperature and heart rate. Take final no-caf GU w/ water by 8:15. Seed myself behind the 30 min group. The sub 30 group will start fast and want to swim away from every other athlete and establish an early gap. This group will separate quickly and the true swimmers will lead. I only need to focus on finding a good draft and early rhythm with a relaxed breathing pattern. Anticipate contact. Stay relaxed. Establish a position. Plan to increase effort by the first turn. I expect some sun in the eyes with a swim to the east then, north as I breathe to the right – will consider wearing tinted googles if the water is clear enough. If I have somewhat clean water and the conditions are good, I can take long, smooth strokes.  If crowded or challenging conditions, shorten the stroke, increase turnover. With 200 to go, mental focus shifts 100% to T1 (“zipper, suit off, T1 process).

Swim thoughts:

1. Count strokes to keep tempo.

2. Hand entry aligned with the shoulder (I have a tendency to cross my centerline when tired).

3. Pull to the hip and keep opposite arm extended to maximize the glide before starting next stroke (I have another tendency in increase stroke rate and shorten the stroked as I get tired.) 

T1:   Keep it simple. Wetsuit stripped, run to TA, yell out my number to get my bag – if volunteers are helping with this -otherwise, find my own taped bag. Enter the tent, retrieve and put on my helmet and buckle it, remove shoes and socks from bag, hand wetsuit and bag to a volunteer and politely ask to pack and stow it for me. Tell them about the gift card.  Roll socks onto feet. Run with shoes in hand.  Put shoes on the ground, step into them. Grab bike and jog to the mount line. Clear the mount line. Sunglasses and GU already on the bike. Get settled, safe and down to business.  

Bike:    Goals: Be smart, fuel early & properly. Heart rate rules. Sub-2:40. (Best bike splits has me at 2:38, 168 TSS, 0.80 IF based on 225 NP and 283 FTP).

Execution: To quote Mike Roberts “The best use of power is the non-use of power.” From the long course bike execution tables - I want to get my heart rate under control early and then ride the remainder of the bike at 145-148 HR. I will use the power meter to limit my effort to 215 (Goal Watts – 5%) early in order to get control of my heart rate. The course is net downhill for the first 15 miles, with a turn around at Callaghan/Brandywine base facility. Then it will be time to go to work –as we go back uphill for 15 miles.

A key element of the 70.3 bike course is the 11 mile decent to Pemberton at 40 miles then turn around and ascend the same hill (11 mile climb, 1400 ascent varying between 1-6% grade). Keeping the power down on this climb, late in the race will pay dividends on the run. It doesn’t matter how fast I am going my effort on the bike will be driven by HR not to exceed 150 and with sustained NP climbing limit of goal watts + 10% (225 +12 = 245). If it is hotter than 85 degrees then I will ride by heart rate keeping just below 150. Bike tech: I have trained and will race with a 50/34 and 12/28. My Garmin auto-lap is 5 miles and my watch set with a count-down timer for 12 minutes as a reminder to drink and eat.

Bike Thoughts: Constantly balance HR, power, RPE and nutrition – Is what I am doing now setting up the run? If I run into a problem, think Chrissie Wellington not Norman Stadler.

Nutrition:  It is important for me to get on the nutrition schedule and hydrating as soon has as possible. Drink every watch interval beep, feed every other one. Target 1 bottle of GE (24 oz., 22g of carbs, 270 calories, 900mg of sodium, 420 potassium) and 1 bottle of water every hour.  3x GU packets also every hour (22g, 100 calories, 60mg sodium, 40 potassium each for a total of 570 calories, 1080 mg sodium, 540mg per hour).  If the weather is cool <75 degrees, I only drink one bottle of GE per hour and some water. If the weather is hot will go to 1 bottle of GE + 1.5 or 2 bottles of water. Each bottle is marked for 8 oz servings to ensure I sip often rather than gulp. Gulping and sodium above 1600 mg per hour is problematic.

T2:    Goal: Keep it simple. Dismount. Clear the entry area. Rack my bike. Remove shoes. (I have not yet mastered the pedaling and removing my shoes.) Jog with a purpose. Retrieve my bag. Drop my cycling shoes. Remove my helmet. Remove my running shoes and visor/hat clipped to race belt from T2 bag. Have a volunteer stow my helmet and cycling shoes. Remind them of the gift card. Leave with visor/hat and racebelt in hand. Put race belt and visor/hat (if expected to be above 80) on while moving.  

Run:   Goal: I want to be competitive on the run.  

Execution:  From Dave Tallo’s IM Canada 2016 race report: “There is no flat – you’re mostly going up or down at various pitches.  So, GPS is (mostly) noise, and be prepared to run by HR or perceived effort. Know what you want to do wrt HR or efforts on hills.  Great chances for running tangents.  The course is serpentine. If there was ever an “run insanely easy for the first miles” course, this is it.” It is uphill for the first 2 miles, followed by 4 miles downhill. Then rolling for the next 6 miles, with a final uphill mile to finish.

Based on his advice, I want to break this run up into 3x 30 minute segments. The first 4 miles are about finding my running rhythm and lowering my heart rate, as necessary. Running as relaxed and easy as possible. I need to relax and not worry about pace in for the first 25-28 minutes, which covers the first two miles uphill, followed by 10 miles downhill.  The next 30 minutes I want to build my effort to 145-150. The third 30 minutes I would like to compete and run hard. I know I can sustain a HR 155-160+ for about an hour so that gives me a bit of a reserve.

Nutrition: I typically alternate GE and water at aid stations with a GU every 20 minutes. I will go to Coke and stop GE / water / GU if I experience any GI trouble. When I go to the Coke, I stay on the Coke. Ice in my hat, jersey, elsewhere if it is exceptionally hot.

Run Thoughts: Get control of my heart rate and find a rhythm early. Run based on RPE and HR.

Final Thoughts: The first 5 minutes of the swim, 20-30 minutes on the bike, 20-30 minutes on the run are is the most important 65 of the race – where I need to be the most present and focused on what I am doing in order to set up the run.

Thanks for reading. If you made it this far I would appreciate your thoughts.

Matt

Comments

• Options
    Matt, you wrote a great plan.  My only comment is if you up your water intake due to heat make sure you up your sodium so your body can process it. Lots of  Water on its own tends to sit in the belly, not help with hydration and get sloshy.  Me thinks you will kill it!  :smile:
  • Options
    Thanks Trish. I'll have to work on the right amount of sodium. >1700 mg sodium gives me trouble too.  I saw your bike is ready. You have put in the work. I hope you get the weather you are looking for. Good luck at LP.
  • Options
    Great plan - hard to shoot holes in much of this. 
    but here goes - 
    bike setup, when is race? do you have a week? I'd rather see you on a 52/36 with an 11 as your smallest in the back, on a hilly course, that should allow you to not spin out around 37/38MPH vs what is likley a 32MPH spinout currently. 
    if not for this race, change it when you start training again. 

Looking forward to seeing what you do! (especially given that I've run behind you (wayyy behind you) and know what you are capable of after a long bike!)

• Options
    Matt - You've absorbed your research and honed in on the level of detail to be thinking about at this point. My comments, first a couple of minor points:
    • Swim - if your T pace is 1:35/100 m, you are a 30 minute HIM swimmer when tapered, in a group, drafting. Get on the feet (or the hip - an equally good draft) of one of those guys, and keep attached as long as you feel you have your stroke under control. You have sufficient bike and run training and strength to withstand a big effort on the first leg, as long as it feels manageable.
    • Bike - I agree with Scott. I looked at the elevation profile for this course, and don't see anything steeper than 7-8%. I would be spinning in my 50/34 11/32, and I KNOW you can handle the 52/36 up front just fine without any risk. As Scott notes, this will let you take advantage of your power on the downhills.
    • T2 - Attaching visor to race belt is probably a good plan, as long as you are confident things won't get jumbled or disconnected when pulling it out or trying to put stuff on. What I've done for years is use a one gallon Ziplock bag (GO bag), and put in everything I will be putting on as I start the run: race belt, visor, some gel, a wrist band for wiping my nose. Fiddling with it as I start the run is a good way to remind me to take it a bit easy coming out of the chute.
    On to higher order thoughts:
    • Given your capabilities, training, knowledge, experience and level-headedness, there is no way you should not be a podium finisher, which means you have to approach this as a racer. A racer knows it's the final time that counts, not any little battles along the way.
    • So, on the swim, don't get into any "half-wheeling" situations. If you find yourself next to someone who is swimming your same speed, and pulling ahead starts to mess your form, don't race him. If you've got open water in front of you, take a short breather and get on HIS feet - same speed, less work. Your job on the swim: go as fast as you can, without losing form.
    • On the bike, there are no KOM points. DON'T get into any races to the top of unnamed hills out there. Don't look at calf ages. Your job is to FLATTEN the hills - stay within 200-250 watts at all times, as close to 220 as you can. Up, down, tail-, head-wind, it's all the same. Your job on the bike: use the power and HR as a rein at the start, then as a whip in the last 60-80 minutes. Your bike/run is an Overwhelming Force - don't unleash it too soon.
    • I don't know what you use to inform yourself of your RPE. I pay close attention to my breathing, both frequency and depth. In the first 3-4 miles, if I can hear my breathing, I'm probably starting to work too hard. In the next 4 miles, I'm working into: Left/Right/Breath in; Left/Right/Breath out. Even in, even out. Gradually increase the depth to the 8-9 miles mark. Miles 8-12, when I'm going up hill, it's in with the left foot, out with the right (or vice versa), back to 2/4 when going down. Final mile: I'm racing a mile on the track, even if I'm not going as fast as that implies. Long strides, arms pumping, large breaths, strong legs.
    • During the run, you may find yourself in a situation where racing somebody becomes an option. There is no hard and fast rule about how to handle that. Take some time to assess how the competitor is doing - their speed, body position and form, breathing, etc. Also your own status. Make an informed decision about how to handle things. Are you slowly gaining on someone? Is somebody slowly overtaking you early in the race? How much do you have left, how long can you hold an uptick in gear. Unless somebody is like 30 sec/mile faster than you, I'm pretty confident you have the run strength and speed to handle that. Especially if its in the last half of the run, then if you want to win, you may have to pull out the big guns and be willing to unload all the rounds.

• Options
    Scott, I do spin out at about 34-35 mph now. Although, I will need to channel some of your descending skills. Thanks for insight on the gearing and the encouragement for the run. Thanks for the feedback. Good luck at LP. 

Al, Thanks the vote of confidence, the insight onthe swim and the reinforcement of Scott's recommendation of the gearing change. I have 52/38 and can make the change. I had it that way before Colorado, but changed both the TT and road bike for climbing. I'll make the change and see how it feels. Thanks for the thoughts on the little battles swim, bike and run battles - "A racer knows it's the final time that counts, not any little battles along the way." Thanks for the feedback. Gold as always.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott - GOLD in those comments on racing.. .think we need @Coach Patrick to start a wiki on "how to race when you really are ready for the podium"
  • Options
    Wow, Matt.  Really great plan.   I think you'll have a terrific day.
  • Options
    And on the cassette ... I would be just fine to see you on a 50-11.  You will spin out, yes, but adding the extra gear probably is t going to find you much time.   On the courses' descents, you tend to hit, and then sustain, high speeds for long stretches.
  • Options

Matt - That's a good looking plan. If you are able to race with that level of focus and can adapt to the conditions as they happen you'll do great.

Only thing I have is the 570 calories/hour seems like a lot. If you have practiced this in your race rehearsals & its working for you then don't change anything. In my experience its much easier to fix too few calories then too many.

Have fun out there.

• Options
    Mark,
    Thanks for the comments. 570 calories/hour does seem high..... But, I have practiced with it and it does seem to work. Knowing that, I could error on the short side if I need to. I will have to experiment more when I move up to the Full IM distance. But, that is for later.... Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Dave,
    Thanks for reading. I hoping you would read and reply. Thanks and the vote of confidence on the 50-11. I double checked and I do have an 11-28 cassette. Not the 12-28 I put in my post. Your past Canada reports were great. Thanks for the insight. I hope to see you there. Good luck, too!