Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

John Culberson's Renaissance

Coach P: I too recently assumed a significant increased responsibility in my profession... doing something that I love. An injury in late 2016 interfered with my annual goal setting exercise, and I have find that without a clear triathlon goal, my training is inconsistent, and I feel like the weeks and months pass without focus. Triathlon has given me a cyclical training and racing identity for the past 35 years... and that has been instrumental in my successes as a physician, husband, and father. My kids are now adults (my son went to the Olympic Trials in 50m Free = short course genes), so as I approach the big 60 age-up, its time to set a goal and start down the road toward the finish line. I've built to an average level of fitness on 7 hours/wk (70 mi bike, 13 mi run); and recent Aquabike at Buffalo Springs 70.3 in 35:00 (no wetsuit)/ 2:53 (well-paced); with an open run 10mi in 1:32 (neg split) on July 4. This all at a weight persistently >12lbs over typical race weight. (my wet suit doesn't fit!) I have a couple of fun short course races planned, and am not really looking to do an A race in 2017. I have a relatively strong short course background (2:09 Olympic in 1990), and tend to over-substitute intensity for volume... limiting my success in long course. That said, I had a 4:55 half in 2007 and seven IM finishes between 12:02 and 12:40 over the past 15 years. Last year, I finished 11th in M55-59 at ITU Long Distance Worlds (strong swim advantage that day). My top triathlon goal is a SUB-12 Ironman. That has been my goal each time that I have toed the line since 1991! Next year, I will be racing age-up 60-64 at USAT AG Nationals, and I'd like to go to Luscerne! I am confident that both of these goals are obtainable. My plan is briefly:

2017:
Aug 13: C Race Steamboat Springs Olympic
Sept 23: C Race "Swat Down the Kids at Texas Tech" Sprint :-)
Oct 1:  B Race Aquathon Nationals 3K/1K/3K (might provide more focus)
or
Oct 29: Austin 70.3 (meh)

Run Focus with lots of 5K - 13.1 mi open running races, maybe even a 10mi +6,000' at altitude trail run in May
(Run Durability/Jan OS)

2018:
Jun 25: Buffalo Springs 70.3 B Race (I live on the bike course)
7 weeks
Aug 11: AG Nationals A Race (2:30 - 2:40 with roll-down to Luscerne 2019)
14 weeks
Nov 18: IM Arizona (Sub-freakin' 12:00:00)

I put this all down on paper so that I could set the big picture. Much may happen along the way, but I have determined that a final AAA Goal will require plenty of milestones, and I need to start checking them off. I really like the 6 week short course focus to set-up a succesful final IM Prep. The days are long and hot in west Texas from June-Sept, and IMAZ is within easy driving distance. I've never done the race, and I am certain that at 6-1" and 185 optimal race weight, I am strongest on a flat course. I am driving accessible to Colorado and New Mexico, and can really put in some serious miles in the mountains prior to final weeks of specific IMAZ prep.  A Santa Fe/Taos EN Camp in late September might be pretty darn awesome! 

Comments

• Options
    Sprint race today yielded best power in nearly a decade (2.88w/kg)... hilly run not so much. Looks like Aquathon Nationals in 10 weeks is an opportunity to get back some running speed and starting reducing some of those kg's. My running base is low, so I'm wondering if a few weeks of run durability followed by a run-focus with some additional swimming might be a good finish to 2017. 
  • Options
    @John Culberson -  thank you for the update! And your performance in the race with power is encouraging. Your run will absolutely be limited by your body composition at this point, so that should be the top priority.

With 10 weeks to go until the next race, here is what I recommend:

*  Let's go with the run durability plan, second block. This is a four week plan and has lots of frequent running which will help frame what we're trying to achieve through consistency. You can add one swim a week to that plan as you see fit.

*  find the lowest hanging fruit with your body composition and let's go after it. For me it is traditionally after dinner eating. So I replace all of that sweet stuff with a scoop of good protein and water which is sweet but also filling. That really helps me cut things down. I also limit my breakfast to either a nature Valley granola bar or a mini fig newton pack. 

*  once we are through  run durability, we can make changes to spice up the bike and swim. But your baseline fitness will absolutely transfer and that's all that I'm concerned about at this point.

Let me know what you think! 
  • Options
    That seems like a great plan. My run has always been a limiter, but over the past two decades, its gotten worse. With optimal Body Comp, my current FTP will get me 3.1w/kg. With a strong swimming background, that seems good enough to get me into T2 at "Sub-12" pace at IMAZ 2018, assuming necessary muscle endurance and execution. A weak run wil be even more problematic at AG Nationals. I figure that I will need to run "sub 50" (arrrgh... sounds soooo slow) to qualify for M60-64 Worlds. Even with perfect Body Comp changes, I need to make 2017-2018 the year that I became a runner ;-)
  • Options
    @John Culberson - technically body comp is the low hanging fruit, and run frequency will really help you too. But it's all going to come from baby steps!!!
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2018 10:58PM
    @Coach Patrick: Sorry, please see my season plan.
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

@Coach Patrick: Your recovery from injury gives me hope. After a major back issue December 2016, I struggled to regain my form, and maintain an increasingly challenging work/life/triathlon balance. Finally, this past October, I got off the pity pot and started putting together some regular training frequency. Your achievements and “the men from EN” convinced me that I could, in fact, put together my best 140.6 ever, and I signed up for IMAZ 2018. Last year, an MRI showed a large disc herniation, however, things seemed to be going pretty well. I was very slow to ramp up my run milage and recently noted that my 2017 year average was a merel 8 mi/wk! I was plagued with a series of small injuries, perhaps due to some asymmetrical muscle weaknesses... and discouragement. Any discomfort in my back and leg seemed to improve with swimming, biking, and running... so I blew off stretching and core strength, and had a solid June/July Aquabike and sprint triathlon (with a slow run) here at Buffalo Springs. In October, I began a frequency-based focus on Run Durability while staying in the pool and on the trainer. I figured that with 5 runs/week, it was safe to jump right in at 15mi (mostly 5x3mi) per week. I stayed at TRP and completed a full 6 weeks without difficulty. A tough 2 week block at work gave me reason to take 2 easy weeks. I convinced myself, that the increasing sciatic-like pain in my Right Leg was due to excessive sitting at work, and not enough time training... returning to my prior levels through the Holiday Run Challenge, I noticed slow improvement. Weekly averages were 4500y swimming (my background) in 3 swims, three 45 min trainer rides (with typical in-season level intensity that I blame on competitive Zwifting, and perhaps a large part my problem), and 15 miles of running in 5 runs. I was at an all-time December fitness high... and all set for JOS Run Focus, when out of the blue, I woke up lame yesterday. I did a pretty cautious 45min bike and 2500yd swim (to try and “loosen up my Piriformis Syndrome”... both went pretty well), but pain and a limp kept me from even walking the dog, and although I’m better today, a quick review of the MRI (I’m a physician) brought me back to reality. While it might be Piriformis Syndrome, it might also be an exaccerbation of that old disk herniation. When I reviewed my MRI with a neurosurgeon last year, he was impressed with the huge disk herniation... and my rapid recovery. We have a surgical plan if necessary. I got back to running last year using Run/Walk. Biking and swimming went surprisingly well early-on. I know that a genuine effort to stretch, improve core strength, and (of course) improve body comp is mandatory and essential. I’m thinking a bike focused JOS with some controlled intensity, and essentially run jail (maybe with probation including the walk/run progression that I used last year). Honestly, running has seemed to improve symptoms recently, which may mean that this is more muscular than neurological, however, it remains clear that a significant limit on running is the best to start. Aging up to 60-64 after 35 years of long course triathlon, and 10 Ironman finishes between 12:02 and 12:35... may mean that its time to give up my life goal of “Sub-12 Ironman,” and retire from 140.6 to focus on 70.3 and/or Aquabike. I’m comfortable with focusing first on a solid Aquabike in late June at Buffalo Springs, and perhaps aiming toward a 70.3 at USAT Nationals in Miami or the (local) IM Waco. That gives me plenty of time to see how my running comes along... or simply take advantage of my strengths in Swimming and Biking to target what would likely be a near-podium finish in Aquabike. A primary issue is that my ego does not want to abandon my lifelong sport of triathlon... and Aquabike is for old people who can’t run any more. I used to be a pretty fast runner and balanced triathlete! I still enjoy a 3 mile run at a steady pace more than any other triathlon workout. My knees and feet are good, and I want to be able to keep running in my weekly exercise routine. Perhaps Aquabike will take some of the pressure off? 

Your Races

• 6/24/2018 Aquabike Buffalo Springs
    • 10/28/2018 - Ironman 70.3 Waco 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/09/2018
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, L1 to L2 Workouts, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the Aquabike to end on 06/17/2018
    • On 6/18/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/1/2018
    • Remainder of year is TBD

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/zttbybame8?embedType=iframe&seo=false&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=400

Basic OutSeason®  Week:

Mon - Strength / Core / Self Care

Tues - Bike Hard

Wed - Strength / Core / Self Care

Thu - Bike Hard

Fri - Strength / Core / Self Care

Sat - Bike Long-is

Sun - Alternate Activity...hike? Walk What?

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited February 17, 2018 10:47PM
    Long story short, I “recovered” from my “serious” running injury so quickly that I released myself from Run Jail, and proceeded to hurt myself again. Whether this is my old blown out L5 disk acting up or an inflammed piriformis, I finally got real with my Training Peaks data... and it is clear that this recurrent injury is simply related to a pattern of ego-driven aggressive run ramps. (One month after whining about becoming a Aquabike athlete, I ran a negative split 8 miler at HIM pace +). I’m not positive that Zwift (read ego) driven intensity on the trainer isn’t contributing, (I followed the 8 miler with a 3K swim and an in-season level 40K TT the next day)...so I am documenting the following.

Avg weekly run miles for past 365 days = 9 miles/week
    Avg weekly training for past 365 days = 4 hours

I am actually very fit for February right now. Swimming hard and consistently (origin sport) with a buddy 4500/wk (no flips)!

Dial down to a Zn 3 Indoor cycling intensity, follow FOS bike focus level 1 reduced to the Main set with an easy w/u... and no rides longer than 45 min... but stay consistent!

Walk/Run using return to running build for THE FULL 8 weeks, maxing at 9 miles/week

This gives me 4 hours/weeks initially... slow, steady build of swim/bike during the 8 weeks. I’ll start with swimming and add light biking this week... I’m already walking 10 min, but need to see how that progresses. My range is rapidly progressing. Interestingly, running has not caused much pain in the past, as I am going easy with a forefoot strike and cadence >170 for 2-3 miles initially... hence my tendency to advance too quickly. 

My first race remains Buffalo Springs Aquabike on June 24. With >10,000 hours of S/B/R behind me, and no expectations for that race (other than the fact that I live and train on the course), I’m confident that I can have fun and race pretty well. Only an egomaniac would force the running with two strikes in the count. Oh yeah... PT/strength/flexibility needs to become part of my daily routine (as you suggested).

I think that my main need from you is the confidence that these set-backs can make me a better athlete, and put me into a position to be more competitive triathlete next year when I age-up to M60-64. I think that I’ve identified the problem, and realize that I have a weak link in my back/hip/sciatic nerve. I am not ready to retire to Aquabike!

• Options
    I think you were training plan edits are perfect. Yes, the most common
    issue that we have is the “aggressive return to running” problem.

Think of it this way. If you were traveling from point a to point B and had
    to stop your car every second hour to fix it versus simply driving at a
    steady pace that your car could handle which one we get you to your desired
    destination faster? :-)

Ultimately training is really no different. You are more than ready to hit
    the training load it’s simply that your body can’t handle the aggressive
    dosing. Once we reconcile here you go with your current physical state
    you should be good. For step is simply a good program and I like what
    you’ve outlined… Keep me posted!
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2019 12:30AM

@John Culberson -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

So good to have you connected again on the Team! I think you'll find our training plans little different this time around, and hopefully a little more amenable to keeping you healthy on the run which is our top priority!

You can see the OutSeason Plan breakdown now online, But all I really want is for you to keep the basic progression of running. I see you are already running six miles...that should be your CAP until Week Five of the OS. Just run more often (After those bike for a mile or two is ok).

I hope you are in the January GroupMe for the OS, it's here: https://groupme.com/join_group/46887690/eA84FO

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Spring (2019-06-29) #70.3BuffaloSprings_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/07/2019
    • On1/7/2019Load theOutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On4/15/2019Load theIntermediateEN*Half to end on 06/30/2019On7/1/2019
    • Load the--Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)to end on 7/14/2019

Your Notes

Career Triathlete with Swim Background; developed strong bike and capable run (1:22 HM in 1992); short course USAT All-American 1990’s-2005. Ten Ironman finishes 12:02-12:35, last IMF with Team EN in 2013. Injury prone 2014-2015, solid race at ITU LD Worlds (Triple Olympic) in 2016. Injury limited 2017, steady 6-10 hours/week in 2018 (Aquabike and Olympic Racing) without significant injury. Llots of Swimming and regular Zwifting. Some low volume Run Durability.Past Six Weeks: Run Durability with OS style Biking (and lots of hard swimming). Excellent Health.

Swim: 2 hours = 7000yd

Bike: 2 hours = 40 mi

Run: 2 hours = 12 mi

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks, Coach P. Yes, five runs (1.5, 1.5, 3,3,6) max for the first five weeks, then I’ll slowly increase the two longer efforts at TRP. Half Marathon just after JOS. I’m going to see how the L3 biking goes... with a conservative FTP. I’ll test when indicated.

• Options

Perfect! Remember that experience is on your side as long as you listen to your body. Very excited to follow your progress this winter.

• Options

@John Culberson I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Initial build toward HIM Nov 1, tentative

Extra help request: Post Best Bike Camp. Likely focus on VO2 max and build run durability

I think you are on to something with the VO2 work...the key is training consistency. Member that regular steady volume will also help as well, so don't feel like you only have to be indoors on the trainer. Long aerobic out the rides are good, so we have plenty of options when you think about structuring a week. I really want to make sure that we get focused on run consistency even as you explore the bike. We don't need a lot of miles, but if we can get in for runs a week of any distance, I would be happy for August.