Home General Training Discussions
Options

Short course warmup routine

Hey everyone,

did my first Olympic distance triathlon in June. I did pretty good, but got out of the swim and onto the bike and the legs felt a little sluggish at first. This was probably not due to a proper warmup. Do any of you short course guys have a good warmup for race day?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    The shorter the race, the longer the warm-up, is my belief. For sprints and Olympics, I usually warm-up in reverse order: run, bike, swim. For an Oly, I run maybe 1/2 mile, then do 4-6 30-40" strides. Bike, about 5 minutes building to race pace, then a few guests either up a hill or slamming the flats. Pre-swim, I try to go out about 100 meters @ race pace, come back with a few 30" harder efforts, and finish back to shore easier than race pace. 
  • Options

I agree with Al (as usual ;) )  The shorter the event you typically have higher intensity right off the start. HR jumps right up and poor peripheral (leg/arm) circulation which leads to badness (panic/CO2-Lactate 'washout' in swim, cramps later and possible injury/strain.)  I Like Als' reverse W/U....If I can I'll jump on Treadmill (another good option is some Kettle bell swings (I use a lighter 35# and do 2-3 sets of 30-40 reps as: first 10reps 2-hand then the the rest as alternating 1 hand Swings... spikes HR, activates the posterior chain and core and takes minimal time)....then portable Bike trainer or Indoor (hotel)spin bike. Just 5-10 min each building to race pace with a few pick ups (including some standing on bike) to briefly hit Z4-5 HR. You want some intensity to "Turn on" all your metabolic systems. Research suggests that it takes 10 min of moderate running to get full perfusion to calves [I guess my HS Coach was on to something with his 1 mile/10min pre WKO WU]... I then get some band work in ....then off to race site.... There I will set up (rare ride any) get a lill running in with short pickups to 5k pace focusing on form and tempo....some general full body dynamic WU such as lunge steeping w/twist and shoulder/bands {I have old shoulder injuries so I give them extra work}....If I can I'll then do some swim WU focus: smooth relaxed stroke after a few accelerations to get HR up and swim muscles activated. then 10-15min to just relax before start. [I have found w/o a good WU It takes 400m before I find a rhythm and I can also get BAD Bronchospasms w/o pre-activating my lungs with some pre-Z4+ HR WU]     Its similar to My long course WU but much more important. -particularly the bits of High intensity pre Sprint/Oly.    

Ive had a few Poor Warm ups for HIM/IM and cant say I noticed other than a rough first 1/2 gto swi

Good Luck!

???*** ORRIGINAL MESSAGE DIDNT GO OUT in '17 LOL***