Home General Training Discussions
Options

Training in "excessive heat"

The Seattle area has an "excessive heat" warning starting this afternoon and going through the weekend. My favorite running trail will be seeing triple digit temperatures - 20 to 30 degrees F higher than the usual temperatures when I'm running. I have some long runs to complete (a 11 mile TRP/Z3 run Thursday and an 18 mile BQP/TRP split run on Saturday) and am curious how others handle running when it's significantly warmer than usual. Here I my ideas in order of preference:

- Run in the morning when it's cooler. Unfortunately, my work schedule makes this difficult on Thursday and a split run (Sat) requires one of the runs to be later in the day.
- Run by heart rate instead of pace. I know my TRP, BQP, and Z3 heart rates, so I could reduce my pace enough to hit those heart rates.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I'm not the smartest guy around.  But I live in the south and its been brutal hot and humid all summer.  As it is every summer.  The Dew point more so than temp is whats important to check on.  Pretty much anything 70 and above and throw zones and pace goals out the window and just run as best you can.  For me that ends up being between Z1 and TRP in those temps/dew points.  All my runs other than the Thursday morning split run portion are in the early evening after work.  I have to do the swims in the AM before work so can't run when its cool.  And a good TRP run when its 95 is like a Z4/Z5 run when its 60. 

I rarely if ever run by HR.  Usually I don't even pay attention to it.  But I do know what my max HR is that I can sustain for a long time.  If I start hitting or passing that number due to heat conditions, I back down and get it under that number by a few beats and that's my pace, regardless of what that pace is. 

• Options
    I live in the hot Sacramento CA area. For me the ticket is to stay wet. I don't like carrying a hand held bottle but when it's hot it works. Plan a route with water fountains or plant water on your route. On the split run day it's critical that you rehydrate with OSMO, Skratch,, NUUN Performance or any low sugar high electrolyte drink that you like. You have to start the the second run hydrated! You'll get it done :)
  • Options
    Scott - yeah, I'm making changes this week to my running program to account for the 95-100 F temps anticipated here. First off, I will run in the early morning whenever possible. Saturday will be my long run day. I will bag the split run, and just do a 2 hour run in the morning, on a shaded Rail Trail - actually doing a half marathon with warm-up and cool-down in Orting, when the temps should "only" be in the mid 70s-low 80s.

A few weeks ago, during the similar heat wave, I did a split run early in the morning, and then again between 8:15-9:15 PM, when it was mid-upper 80s. I didn't die, but I did go slower - maybe 1 min/mile slower than I would if it were 65F.

I do ALL my running basically by RPE these days, and have discovered that it correlates pretty well with HR. After the fact, I observe what my pace was, which will vary depending on hills, temp, dew point, length of the run, fatigue status, etc. Don't force yourself to do something your body isn't ready for; using Perceived Exertion will help you manage the long run OK.

Specifically - Thursday, can you run @ lunch and/or in the shade - makes a difference, as the highs don't really escalate until after 2 PM, and the absence of radiant solar energy makes a big difference, at least in how it feels.

Keep in the shade, drink more than you want, enjoy the sweat, and re-hydrate liberally afterwards for the next 24 hours.
  • Options
    The only thing I can add is to remember you cant "catch up" if you are already dehydrated pre run. Down some electrolyts an hr before your run if you can. 
  • Options
    Agree with all! Living in South Carolina this is the daily from May through September. My key is always staying on top my hydration - pre, during and post. Insulated bottles on hot days to keep liquids cooler for longer rides and runs are a nice touch too!
  • Options
    I live in Dallas TX, and while it's not been a particularly hot summer for us here, the humidity has been insane.

For me, even as a bigger dood, I can run in somewhat high temps, but the direct sunlight will destroy me. I used to do my long runs starting at 3am just to avoid the sun by the time I was done.

Freeze a hand bottle overnight, take it with you. If you don't know where the water stops are, or don't know if you can last between them, this frozen bottle will keep the hands cool and that's a lot of nerve endings. Unfortunately, they melt fast, but every little bit helps. 

Pre-run planted bottles help too. I used to do that, until the people's yards I used to stash the bottles in started taking them and doing who-knows-what with. point is, only place them where you believe they won't be messed with.

And, of course, I used to do a ton of treadmill running. Taking a long lunch break and hitting the ol dreadmill for a few hours. Yes, 2-3 hour long runs on a treadmill. Repeatedly. I can do that every week, but cannot stand to spend more than 75 minutes on a stationary trainer. Weird. 
  • Options
    I live in Satan's anteroom.  Running in the summer is hell and each year I seem to lose a little more heat adaptation...a common fact of aging.  As Tropical Storm Emily rolled by this week, we had a one day reprieve with 'relatively drier' air swinging around from the north.  I jumped on it yesterday morning to get in some hill repeats.  And despite the relatively great weather, just 55 mins later I was on the scale...6 pounds lighter.  Here's my approach:
    - Summer volume is lower than winter volume.  I may do 25-35 in the summer compared to 34-45 in the winter.
    - Long runs.  Ain't happening in July or August.  I try for split long runs assuming I can recover from one to the next.  And I try to target those with vacation which we always take to the north.  E.g., I ran a lot in England in early Jun, in New Hampshire in early July, and hope to get a long one in Monday in Boone, NC.
    - Morning runs are good, but only until the sun comes out. Early morning humidity is the worst and once the sun is up, there is a short period of time until you are doing the death march.  Evening is best, but takes greater motivation to get out there.
    - I watch the weather like a hawk.  The leading or trailing edge of thunderstorms is best for running if you can catch before/after any lightning.  If it's just gray and raining then go out and run!  Even in the winter I have to watch the weather to look for those few cool days when I can really go long.  If it's cool and the plan calls for a split long run, I'm going to do it all at once to take advantage.  Split long runs are for hot days only.
    - I know where every water stop is and prefer to hit those for medium length runs.  My 3.5 mile out and back (7 total) gives me 5 water stops enroute with the longest gap at 1.5 miles.  I chug water at everyone.
    - I do best if I am FULLY hydrated before a run start.  If I'm the least bit dehydrated then I better not be trying for anything over 4 miles.
    - When I run trails I carry a small towel to swat the horseflies off my heat and back since I'm typically wearing a visor and no shirt.

YMMV!  :)

• Options
    Thanks Everyone!

Brian - "throw paces and zones out the window" sounds like a good plan. 

Sheila - My route also has water fountains every couple of miles, so I can keep my hat and shirt wet. I also don't like to run with a bottle, but may make an exception this week. 

Al - Doing a lunch run on Thursday and combining the split runs on Saturday are good ideas. I think I'll be able to run at lunch on Thursday. I'm moving my split long run to Sunday, when it will be a little cooler, and will start the second before noon (perhaps combine them).

Al, Josh, Jeff, ... - Yes, definitely need to hydrate!

Scott - I like the idea of pre-run planted bottles. I'll try to find a couple hiding places were they won't be discovered. Alternately, I might just do shorter loops and stop at the car each loop.

The latest issue is air quality. The wind has shifted, bringing smoke from British Columbia forest fires into our area. We don't have any "Unhealthy" air quality alerts yet, but it's pretty thick.

Thanks again, you've all be been very helpful!