Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

2018 IM Canada Roll Call - Who's In

Yes, your legs are sore; you have blisters and rashes in places that only a post race shower can discover; and your statement of “I’m never doing another one of these again” are all becoming a distant memory.

Don’t act like you’re not thinking about it. Who’s in for 2018, now that we know that they have renewed the contract?

And for those of you lurking at home...and were inspired by your teammates...did you pull the trigger?!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Still early days, but I'm a 'probably.'  I'll be watching for the new bike course with equal parts fear and excitement!
  • Options
    Haven't heard about that...yikes!
  • Options
    It's a great course and such a wonderful venue ... it's just that they'll be removing the flat part in Pemberton Valley, and finding it somewhere else, which is tbd.  The thing is ... I can't think of anywhere else in that area (aside from Pemberton) that isn't going up or down a hill!  

• Options
    Is Pemberton out for sure? Last I heard there was still discussion. That was a great compliment to that overall course. 
  • Options
    yep.  out for sure. 
  • Options
    I'm registered. Will be my first Iron!
  • Options

... and I stand corrected.  Pemberton WAS out, and confirmed out by a vote by their town council, and confirmed out by Ironman. 

But in the time since, the event has reappeared as branded 'IM Canada whistler - pemberton,' and there has been updated text on the site to thank the fine people of pemberton for support.  So, I believe someone made nice, built bridges with the community, maybe redirected the flow of money to pemberton's favour, and all is well in the world again.     

Anyhow, I'll be racing it again, whatever the route is. 

• Options
    I'm in! This will be my second full, I guess Placid wasn't hilly enough for me! :D So glad to see there will be some EN jerseys out on the course!
  • Options
    Canada bike course is up on Ironman.com

Hmm, a 3 loop course with almost 8,500 ft climbing.  :#
  • Options

Beautiful!   3x Callaghan ... this will be a course that rewards the patient racer. 

• Options
    Wow! I can’t tell how far down the hill it goes north of the village. I was waiting to sign up until I saw the course. I’m not sure what to think. I guess not much more climbing than before. 
  • Options
    It’s about 2,000 feet more. Plus it’s about triple the time in the high bear density area! Awesome! 
  • Options
    What the...I don't love the idea of U turns, and reading facebook comments about the course, the overlap with the 70.3 riders as well. Don't even get me started on 8500 feet of climbing... :D Would like much up and down make you think twice about riding your tri bike and go road bike instead???  There is like zero flat!
  • Options
    @Carole Harbison l I did it last year on my road bike with race wheels on and I don't regret that move. This year it will have an extra 2,000 ft and the long flat segment in Pemberton is gone, so it looks more and more as a aero road is the way to go.
  • Options
    I'm in....looking forward to seeing all of you.  Need to get accommodations figured out!
  • Options
    I’m in also, been out since IMLP 2017 with work load and nursing ankle injury from fall last summer.
  • Options
    Checking in--how is everyone's season going? I'm doing camp week this week and racing IMMT 70.3 next weekend. So far so good--just trying to find all the hills to ride every weekend. 

Also-What are people doing for gearing on their bikes?
  • Options
    @Carole Harbison Good luck at IMMT! I'm headed to The EN camp in Bend on Thursday. Looking for some good training with other EN folks. I plan on using a compact crank (50/34) with 11-28 cassette. I did Canada on the old course. The hills are not that steep, there is just a bunch them. Enjoy the rest of your training! 140.6 or 70.3?
  • Options
    @carole Harbison - 11-28 and a compact.   Another data point ... my brother (who is not EN, but is doing the 70.3) did the half last year on an 11-28, and with that experience, plans to run 11-32 /compact this year, thinking that mo gears is mo better.  
  • Options
    Thanks @Dave Tallo and @Sid Wavrin. I have a 52/36 super compact on the front and my bike shop is trying to get me all the way up to a 36 in the back (currently an 11/28) Probably don't need THAT many, but we'll see how it goes. The several spikes of 10-12% grades over the 112 miles are a bit daunting...

• Options
    Hey fellow Canada 2018 ENers!  As you all tapering I started training last week, this should be interesting. Does anyone have an extra BOCO EN visor I can borrow for race day? I promise to return it washed and smelling pretty. I’d even buy you a brand new one if someone could tell me where and how to order.

Also, I realize Canada is not on the list of team races, is there an update on new bike course?
    Other than reading old race reports, I’d like a little more intel. Although I could read Jenn Edwards 2015 report repeatedly for the humor alone.
    Thanks <
    Dana
  • Options
    I'd love more intel on the bike course too. Previous reports have said there's "nothing too steep" and that it wasn't a "decision heavy" course, but just looking at the elevation profile like there are several 11%+ grade segments (short ones, but still) and not a flat second on the whole thing.

The outcome of my gearing debate: I have a 52/36 on the front and now an 11/36 on the back. Granny gears galore. My LBS tried to just swap out my 36 chainring for a 34 and leave the 11/28 on the back, but that was an epic fail. Too big of a jump and the chain was rubbing everywhere. 

@Dana Burns  I don't have an "extra" but I do have one kicking around here that I was not planning on racing in that I could loan you. I'll try to remember to pack it!!
  • Options

"Alta Lake Road is kind of a sketch road as it is," Ward said. "But I'm sure they're going to do a good job. I'm sure they're going to time it out."

Even though features like the Suicide Hill climb between Whistler and Pemberton will no longer be part of the course, Gleeson expects the course to be more difficult this year.

"It's a bit deceiving, but the section between Whistler Village and the bottom of the Callaghan, coming back is a pretty difficult part of the course. There are a lot of rolling hills in there, so riding that three times and also doing all the climbs on Alta Lake Road, that's going to take it out of people's legs," he said, noting it contrasts with the consistent elevation changes near Pemberton. "I suspect it's going to be a slower bike course than it was before and it's also going to be harder to run well off the bike." 

I found this comment ^^in an article from last years AG winner. It sure seems like a bunch of the elevation is the three trips from Callaghan back to Whistler. This is all highway grade. Not so bad. Fact is there is a bunch of elevation in this ride. Patience will be the key. Flatten the course as much as possible. You are correct. There is not a flat spot on this course! Descents are not technical. I hope it doesn't get too crowded. Should be fun! @Carole Harbison @Dana Burns

• Options
    @Carole Harbison - posted course notes in a new thread.    
  • Options
    Did we all finish? I thought I saw an EN jersey down by the side of the road on 99 with medical, but maybe it was just a red and white canada jersey? Hope everyone is alright and recovering after a really tough day. 
  • Options
    @Carole Harbison that was Sid Wavrin. He did not finish.  Congrats @Dave Tallo on your Kona win!
  • Options
    Any word on how Sid is doing? Congrats to Dave Tallo on his KQ and also all those who raced in Canada. Looking foreword to reading the reports as have that race in the plans for 2020