Home General Training Discussions
Options

How Much "Weight" is Acceptable to Gain During Race Week?

Heading into race week next week and I am right on point for my body composition. But when I weight in, I am almost always 6 to 8 lbs heavier just before the race...I assume this is part of the carbo loading and lack of exercise, but I am wondering if there's a range that makes sense. Maybe a certain % of lean body mass? Thanks!!!!! 

Comments

• Options
    Do you really want me to chime in on this one?  :D

This is one that I believe is highly specific to the individual.    I have a pretty good taper and I see no discernable impact on my weight during race week.   But that said, my weight doesn't fluctuate all that much to begin with.   Others, however, I have heard can fluctuate wildly even during training.      Sounds like you have a pretty good feel for how it works for you and you've had success in the past so I'd go with that.    

Regarding carb loading....there isn't any value to carb loading more than a day or so out from the race....so one thing you may want to do is stick to more fats and proteins as a % of total intake (but obviously at lower total volume given the reduction in training)
  • Options
    Just reading this post makes me nervous. I can gain 10 by looking at food for too long.

I think a couple years ago a WSM dished out the skinny on carb loading, that we over do it most of the time. I am sure there is some science we could use to determine how much carb is needed to restore glycogen adequately

Agree with the fact that there is wide variation, but my plan going into MOO is to keep my gain to a minimum/none based on the premise that lighter is always better

• Options
    I call it the "incinerator" effect. It happens to me more and more as I build up to a big event. The taper is especially dangerous, as others have touched on, because your body still thinks it's in high-training/"peak" mode, so it needs the calories, but your caloric burn rate just isn't there like it's been for the last 2+ months (at least).

Step back from the cookie dough, but not TOO much! haha
  • Options
    Interesting question.  I've been curious about this for a while - so much so, that at a race last year, I actually bought a scale to have onsite for morning weigh ins for two weeks pre race.   And logged literally every calorie, in and out, in that period.  

Even with a slight daily calorie defecit - and a diet baseline that was about 2200cals/250CHO/120Protein, 
    70fat,30g fiber (with additional cals, mostly from CHO, on days with more work), I put on weight.   Not so much in the first week, but a fair amount between Tuesday and the Saturday race.   I believe it was a starting weight of 146, and went up to 152-153 (using my own scale ... the checkin scales they used in Kona on race morning said 158!!!!).

i came away with more questions than answers from that experience.   Was I underweight to begin with?   I think the IM build does ravage the body more than we think, and what we believe to be race composition might have an element of body dysmorphia when we get around other athletes (I know I'm in trouble when I see a pic of Chris Froome and think "looks good!").   Also, does fluid retention (or increased hydration) factor in?   Again, despite good efforts, I think a lot of us are chronically dehydrated during prep, and once we start to taper and pay attention to really getting fluids, we get to a more natural state.

just a few points to consider.    Also, I'll call on @altruscott to repost his article / piece on weight during taper ... I recall it capturing the experience nicely.
  • Options
    Step away from the OREO's! You don't get those till after.

There is no way you can gain 6-8 pounds of real body weight in a week. It's fluid retention caused by your bodies attempt to heal and adapt to the training. Welcome to being a girl. The body holds onto water like a savings account until it is happy. Then you get to pee ALL night. As long as your eating a sensible, clean diet. No worries. 

Have a fantastic race! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the valuable insight everyone!
  • Options
    ALL, thanks so much. I agree with @Dave Tallo On the "chronic" situation that IM training puts you in before the race....and I think @Jacklyn Moore gets it just right -- eat clean and be smart...then race fast!!!!
  • Options
    ...I gotta tell you IMLP was the first time I have had to weigh in at registrtation/pick up...I nearly died when I saw the scale...clothes yes...but I was in 6-8 lbs. + and my mojo sank a bit...LOL...but upon reflection that I had really not done anything extraordinary....I knew it was water and combination of Daves feedback...still...I think it would be better not to have it on.....
  • Options
    I'm not sure that you can gain "too much" water weight with optimized glycogen stores, assuming that you aren't loaded with salt and NSAID. IMHO, and with a little medical background, 6-8 lbs coming from a depleated state sounds just about right. It also should signal some awareness of the chronic depleated state that is common during the final build.