Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

AT's ITU LC WC 2017 Penticton Race Plan: Background

I’ve been looking forward to this race for three years, ever since it was announced. Back in the 80s & 90s, there was a race in Nice, France, which Mark Allen won 10 times between 1982 and 1993. After that, it hosted the International triathlon Union’s Long Distance World Championships 5 times, but succumbed to the entry of Ironman in 2005.   This iconic race enshrined a unique distance: 3 km swim, 120 km (74.6 miles) bike, and 30 km (18.6 mi) run. Even after it left Nice, the ITU continued to use this distance for its "long course" world championship. After doing a few Ironman races, I longed to compete at what seemed like a saner “long” distance.

When I learned in 2014 ITU would hold its LC World AG Championship in Penticton, BC, less than six hours' drive from my home, I knew I had to race there this August. Qualifying for it was basically a matter of showing up and completing the Miami Man half iron in November, 2016 - USAT rules allow the first 18 finishers in EACH age group a chance to join Team USA for the world’s. So sure was I, that in August 2016, I reserved my B&B room along the finishing chute on Lakeshore Drive (where Ironman Canada held sway for 30 years). Then, in November, I garnered 4th at the USAT National Championship in Miami. At that point, all I needed to do was stay injury free - something I had not managed for the preceding two years. Sure enough, a month later, I snapped my sciatic nerve as it runs through the piriformis, sidelining me from running for over 2 months. I have since rebuilt my run to good form, but am reminded every time I sit down to eat or drive that the nerve is still tender.

My training has been on target since mid-February, when I went through a mini-OS. Since then (21 weeks), I have swum 100,000 meters in 46 sessions, biked 3000 miles over 85 days, and run 120 times for 530 miles. In the past two months, that’s 60,000m/23 sessions swimming, of which 10 have been 3000 meter OWS, about an hour each. 1000 miles/28 days biking, with at least one 4+ hour ride each week in the mountains. And 47 runs for 250 miles. The running has improved the most, with an average pace of 8:48/ mile, which is the same speed I was going in 2014, before I started sabotaging myself, slowing to 9:10 the subsequent two years. While I can’t run the same *top* speed anymore, I do seem to have regained my endurance and running strength.

The course is basically the same as old IM Canada for the swim, starting on the beach at The Peach, one loop. The bike is flatter than the old IM - no big climbs in the mountains southwest of town. It starts with about 25 miles (40 k) of flat along the two lakes at either end of town. Then it goes through 15 miles with two climbs, totaling 1000’ gain, before swinging along the southern lake back into town and repeating miles  20-45 - another two climbs and 10 miles of finishing flats. The run is 3 times around a 10k loop, which is a “Y” consisting of three out ‘n backs - very spectator friendly, and also enabling nearly constant checks on one’s competition. Because each age group starts in its own wave (maybe the 60 & over men will all go together), there’s never any question as to where your competition is.

One other note: I bought a new TT bike a month ago. This is a very big deal for me, as I’ve been riding my other one for 17 years. A Quintana Roo PR Six, Ultegra Di2 with compact crank, 11-32 in the rear. My previous bike had 650 wheels, which may play a major role, along with improved aerodynamics, in the primary difference I notice. It seems “easier” to hold speed along the flats (defined as -2 to +2 % grades) - I seem to be able to hold my momentum with less effort. Here’s some data to back that up: I just did an Oly bike ride, 0.921 IF for 40K, with an HR averaging 119. Seven years ago, when I was in super shape during a Kona build (and younger!), on the same course with my old bike, I went the same speed (1:11:52 compared to 1:11:53!), with an IF of 0.906, and an HR of 127. I don’t think I bought “free speed” with this bike, but I do think I bought “free fitness”. Sort of like how more swim volume in training, while not necessarily making one faster on race day, nonetheless makes the next two legs easier from improved swim fitness. What I need to do is convince myself that I can convert that free fitness into actual speed, by letting myself work a little harder. More on that in the race plan.

So that’s the set-up. I’ll return in Part Deux with my specific race plan.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hey Al- I bought some of the F2C nutrition stuff they will have on the bike course- the serving size for the powder only gives 100 cal/bottle.  Do you have any idea how they are going to mix it up for the race? 
  • Options
    Hey Al- I bought some of the F2C nutrition stuff they will have on the bike course- the serving size for the powder only gives 100 cal/bottle.  Do you have any idea how they are going to mix it up for the race? 
    My nutrition plan for the bike will be mainly on board, not off course. 420 calories Infinit in a 32 oz bottle; 210 calories gatorade in 26 oz bottle (sorry, I can't easily convert oz to ml), maybe 300 calories in EFS gel, 50 calories Perpetuem tablets. That's 900+ calories for a 3:44 bike ride, at a higher than IM intensity. I assume they'll have water when I need more fluid.
  • Options
    Al, That's great to hear that your run has progressed so well.  This is going to be a great experience in a great town (from what I hear).  I think a month with the new bike sounds like you would have worked out the kinks.  Are you used to the Di2 yet?  Is the fit pretty much the same dimensions?  I look forward to reading your specific race plan!
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2017 9:05PM
    Good stuff there Al...thanks.  This will be my 3rd ITU World Long Course and 3rd different swim length.   Scroll down on this link to see the venues and the distances and you'll find a lot of different course combinations.  If nothing changes, this will be the very first one with the 3K-120K-30K combo.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_Long_Distance_Triathlon_World_Championships

My training has gone as best as possible for the summer heat and I only want to finish with a strong performance.  After riding the Boone Gran Fondo last week (100 miles w 8720 ft gain) I'm ready for the LC bike.  Something new I've added is a once a month, long OWS in a spring fed river ... 3.6 miles downstream (~0.8mph current) in crystal clear, 72 degree water.  This will be my one and only Penticton experience and I'm looking forward to it.

I've been thinking about updating my travel bike next year...either the new BMC TM01 (2017) or the QR PR 6.  If you fly with it this year, I would love to hear about how hard it is to drop the base bar with the cables/Di2 wires attached.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about updating my travel bike next year...either the new BMC TM01 (2017) or the QR PR 6.  If you fly with it this year, I would love to hear about how hard it is to drop the base bar with the cables/Di2 wires attached.
    @Paul Hough I've already flown with the PR Six (this race will be a drive). The front end is not a big issue, as long as you remember which bolts came out of which holes! There is no need to disengage any brake cables, but I took out the Di2 plugs for convenience. Oh, and don't lose the various sealed bearings and spacers from the steering tube...Re-assembly is made easier as the stem has two bolts which automatically ensure that the fork/handlebar/wheel are are aligned properly. The biggest no-no is to be very careful removing the seat post. There is a loose stem bolt assembly which can fall into the frame if care is not take.
  • Options
    Here is Part Deux: The Race Week and Day Plan itself:

INTRODUCTION

See previous entry. Just a reminder: the race is 3000 m one loop swim, 120 km (74.6 mi) two loop bike, 30 k (18.6 mi) run. Race date: Sunday August 27, in Penticton, BC, Canada. This is the age group world championship “long distance” for the International Triathlon Union.

RACE WEEK

Monday - Eclipse Day! I will be in Madras, Oregon, underneath the path of totality, @ about 9 AM. Drive back home in the afternoon.

Tuesday - Prep day: Open water swim for an hour/3,000 meters in local lake in the morning. Pack all my gear via checklists, rack bike, prepare for drive on Wednesday.

Wednesday - Drive to Canada about 9 AM to 3 PM. Settle into B&B (less than a mile along the lakeshore from transition, start, finish). Gert any food needed for the week. Run 30 minutes along the lake shore and canal path. Parade of nations 5:30-6:30 PM

Thursday - Swim open from 6-7:30 AM. Main task today: drive/bike the bike course, in particular from miles 25-40 (which is also 55-70), the two hills on the course. Run 30’ after. Packet pickup is noon-4 PM, or also on Friday. 

Friday - Can’t swim, Aquathlon going on. Packet pick-up @ noon-4. Run 30’ after 4. Check all gear today. Team USA “social” @ 9:30 AM +/- attend. 10:30 AM - team photo, Both @ convention center.

Saturday - AM: Final bike ride/check. Pack any necessary bags. ITU briefing noon-1 @ the bandshell; bike check-in 12:30-4:30; Team USA briefing 3-4 PM @ convention center. Evening easy meal.

RACE DAY

If I wake up after midnight, drink one bottle of Ensure.

4 AM Wake up. Go through usual routine. Start breakfast of oatmeal, OJ, maybe another Ensure. War paint, race kit. 

Transition open 4:45 (sunrise 6:07) - 6:15. 

Leave @ 5.

5:20: Body mark (if necessary), drop off Special Needs

5:30-6:00: Prep bike: 1 x 32 oz frozen bottle of Infinit on down tube, 1 26 oz bottle of gatorade behind seat, Joule, Fenix - calibrate to bike, EFS, Perpetuem tabs to top tube holder, check tires; wrist band and possibly arm coolers to aerobars, shoes, sunglasses on bike, remove Hefty bag (if needed), confirm gearing is set to start out.

5:55:

6:00: start to don wet suit, drop off morning clothes. Gulp some gel.

6:15: Little warm-up swim until allowed to enter holding area. 

6:35: Race starts

Seed myself middle rear next to buoys

6:39: My wave (Men 50+)

EQUIPMENT

Morning clothes: Convertible pants, Team USA T shirt, EN podium jacket, warm top as needed, sandals, 2CLight Cap.

Race kit: Team USA tri suit Garmin HRM.

Swim: DeSoto First Wave wet suit unless temp > 73/4, in which case Xterra Vendetta,  Tyr transition goggles, ITU issue swim cap. Ear plugs; Body Glide.

Bike: New Quintana Roo PR Six,  EFS gel + Perpetuem tabs on top tube, tools in rear aero box. Two bottle cages, one on down tube, one behind seat.

Run: Saucony Type A8’s, ? no socks, EN visor, wrist band for my nose.

BAG CONTENTS

Morning tri bag: goggles, body glide, swim cap, wrist bands, arm coolers, bike nutrition - 32 oz frozen bottle of Infinit, 26 oz Gatorade bottle, flask with 4.5 oz of EFS gel, tab bottle, cut-up CLif Bar, Joule, Fenix, glasses (in case), run nutrition - one flask of EFS gel, travel pump, tire, tube, special needs bags (see below)

T1 Bag: Helmet, sunglasses, spare contacts, Fenix.

T2 Bag: Shoes, socks, spare glasses. Go Bag containing: wrist band, EFS flask, Visor, Sunscreen spray-on, number belt with # showing through, sunglasses.

Special Needs Bike: 32 oz, frozen bottle of Infinit, Special Needs Run: Wrist band

NUTRITION PLAN

In Transition before race: swig of gel, about 6 oz of water.

On bike: Infinit - 32 oz with 420 cal and 1.5 gms of Na, Gatorade 180 cal bottle, 360 mg Na . Water as needed based on temps, hydration status; 4 oz of EFS gel for about 350 cal, 700 mg Na., 3 Perpetuem solids for 100 cal, Clif Bar Minis, 3, 300 Cal, 150 mg Na. Totals:  1350 cal/345 cal available per hour for anticipated 6 hour ride;  2-3 grams of salt. Plan to take a drink every 20 minutes first hour, then every ten minutes. Clif Bar every 40 minutes first 4 hours, then finish EFS gel last 2 hours. One Solid each hour.

On Run: 6-10 oz of fluid each aid station depending on temps. Start with diluted GE, no more than 4 oz gatorade, plus 2-6 oz water per aid station. 1 oz EFS gel @ miles 2, 5, & 8. Coke, again diluted, whenever I need it.

PACING

Swim: anticipate 60 minutes in water time. Bilateral breathing in general  may use alternate side every 50-100 strokes, if sun or crowds are too intense on one side. I know how to swim, I’ve been doing it for 5 decades now, just lock in and ignore everyone else. No real sighting needed, just follow the crowd and keep the effort up. Process goals (since I have no metrics while swimming, these are of necessity subjective): Be prepared to work the whole way, up to but not past the point of stroke disruption. Points of emphasis: maintain stroke turnover, find and follow feet when at all possible.

T1: WALK out of water, removing top of wetsuit. RUN when stable to bag. Off with the suit. Put on helmet, sunglasses, put on and start Fenix, pee. Those are my only jobs until  I get to the bike.

Bike: Anticipate 3:45 ride time, but do not use this as a goal or metric. FTP is 216. The course starts flat for the first 25 miles, so a key will be to take regular standing stretching breaks, every ten minutes. This will be associated with a harder gear, slower cadence, and nutrition. Take only 5-10 minutes to get up to speed, assuming HR is in the ‘teens (110-115). I click the interval button on my Joule every twenty minutes, or at the base of a climb, whichever comes first. This forces me to keep my head in the game and pay attention to nutrition. I’ve found I don’t respond as well to chimes or alarms as I do to just looking at the interval time whenever I check my head unit. The ride will be a roundelay among RPE, HR, and Watts. I want to keep my HR between 112 and 116, rising to 118-20 only on hills or the last 20-25 minutes. 

This race has been difficult to predict from a power perspective. On the one hand, my two long course races last year were both flat, an IM @ 5:43 (2/23 bike splits in AG), and a half @ 2:41 (3/17). My NPs were 136 and 151 respectively. So one would think this race should be between those two. But my 3 hour power within the last two weeks is 153, and I just did an Oly @ 201. I expect my watts will be in the 160s, but I will use HR as both a whip and a rein, keeping it within that mid-teen window of 113-117. If this allows me an NP greater than 153, I’ll go with it up to the upper 160s, as long as my HR is not rising and my RPE feels OK. 

Push the downhills whenever possible, but don’t risk loss of control.

Display on my Joule: Two columns, four rows, left to right: HR, Watts; % grade, IF, cadence; interval time; bottom row can be toggled for other metrics. On Fenix: HR; Fenix is back-up Power Meter with other fields available.

Key thought: I have done MASSIVE amounts of biking this year. My 

T2: My tasks are: Get out of shoes 1/2 mile or so before Bike In. Hop off at dismount line. Bike to rack. Grab bag. Take off helmet. Switch glasses if desired. Put on socks?, shoes. Grab Go Bag. Pee if I feel like it. Switch Fenix to Run mode.

Run: Anticipate 2:48 +/- 3 min run time (9 min/mi), unless modified by temperature. But abgain, don;t use this as a metric to control or even monitor my race. Start out of transition fiddling with Go Bag; by second mile, should be every @ 9 min/mi unless temps are above 75, then go with HR. First 4 miles in the 115-119 range; stay in the low-mid 120’s (123 +/-) through the second 10K lap, then allow to rise up and over 130. After mile 12, start repeating endlessly the mantras of “You have strength, you are power”, “This is who I am, this is what I do,” “Slowing down is not an option”, “Race it to the end”, I’m running for those who can’t anymore”, etc all the way home. Trust my training (this is how I interpret “honor your training self”) and my taper.

Fenix will display on two screens: Lap time, Lap Pace, HR, Cadence; Total time, Total distance, HR, Current Pace.

RACING STRATEGY

My goals in this race are: Swim: Emphasize turnover. Build effort to the end. Don’t slow down. Bike: HR in the mid-teens,  Maintain nutrition plan with minimum of 1750 calories, 120 oz fluid. Don’t ease off after mile 65 as measured by HR, keep constant effort all the way. Run: Even or very slight negative split; HR building from 115 to 137 thruout the entire 18.7 miles. Final one thing: I have to demonstrate to myself that I am willing to actually race to the limits of my capabilities, whatever they may be at this time and at this age.

• Options

Al, That's great to hear that your run has progressed so well.  This is going to be a great experience in a great town (from what I hear).  I think a month with the new bike sounds like you would have worked out the kinks.  Are you used to the Di2 yet?  Is the fit pretty much the same dimensions?  I look forward to reading your specific race plan!

@Brian HaganI have had Di2 on my TT bike for about 4 years already, and on my road bike for the past 2 years. So no adjustment needed. When I got the new bike, I took my old one in and had them replicate the fit parameters. There are three differences, which have not been an issue so far: the handlebar assembly can not get as low as my previous one - it's about 3-4 mm higher. The aerobars themselves are about 1-2 cm closer together than my previous set-up. And the bull horn extensions do not reach out as far as my previous bike. In Oct, QR is coming out with a new stem which will allow a lower position; I'm think of just having my old front end (bullhorns/aerobars) put on the new bike with the new stem at that time. But if this race goes OK (from a comfort, power, and time perspective), I may just go with the new stem for the slightly lower stance.

I was pleasantly surprised with what I have described as the "free fitness" I got from finally buying a new bike. I don't go faster, but it's easier (from an HR perspective) to go the same speed/power. I am hoping that will pay dividends on the run.
  • Options
    Hello Al -- a few thoughts regarding the first section of your plan: Penticton is a beautiful place, I have fond memories from there racing IMC in late August 1998; Skaha Lake was crystal clear; it was killer hot that day; not overly humid though; I remember taking a nap in T2

Congrats on getting the run pace back - 8:48 is a very impressive pace.  It's interesting that at 55+, running fast results from being durable and entirely without doing the things we did in our younger days

The QR PR Six is a nice bike, very light and very aero.  It's a great feeling being aboard a fast bike, once you get it up to speed it's sheer bliss keeping it there
  • Options
     The biggest no-no is to be very careful removing the seat post. There is a loose stem bolt assembly which can fall into the frame if care is not take.
    having watched Al chase this for 3 hours in Lake Placid and experiencing it myself on my road bike, this should be highlighted. It also would make sense to travel with a spare in case it does get lost in the frame.. 
  • Options
    I can't even begin to try and pick apart your plan. Have a great race, stay smart and remember we are all watching you!
  • Options
    The BMC has the same issue.  I flip my bike up at a high angle when pulling the post to ensure the clamping mechanism does not fall into the seat tube.  And I have always traveled with a spare ever since I read about the problem on the ST BMC thread.
  • Options
    Nice plan, got nothing to say other than just learn from reading it.

Really wish you to achieve your goal - I am pretty sure you will do well! 
  • Options

Al,

Great, detailed race plan!  Seeing someone with 20...30+ (?) IMs detailed race plans, really reinforces it's importance.  I always pick up tips from reading your race plans.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and I'm looking forward to hearing about your race.  Have fun!

• Options
    Al,  I'm staggered after reading about you repatriating your run speed.   That deserves a thread on its own. 

Have a great race - and thanks for posting.   I learned a lot from reading your plan.
  • Options
    Al, enjoyed reading your plan.  I re-read it several times looking for gems I can take away for my own racing.  Good luck getting out of central Oregon after the eclipse!  I continue to hear about how bad everything will be during the apoc-eclipse.  If for some reason you can't make it to madras, you can watch from my house in Salem in the path of totality.  Latest forecast still has clear skies for Salem!

Nothing to say other than I usually pee in my wetsuit at the end of the swim so I don't have to stop in T1.  Also, I was thinking about the part on your new bike (the seat post clamp that can fall into the frame).  Of course I don't have that bike, but what if you superglue or tie a string to the part before disassembly.  Then if it falls in, it's easily retrievable. Just a thought.

Looking forward to following you on race day.  Will they have coverage on the usat website?
  • Options
    @Satish Punna
    From the ITU Athlete's guide (which I'm reading for the first time just now!): "-F2C Mango GlycoDurance in 750ml sport cap bottle – 200 calories per bottle" [emphasis added]
  • Options
    @Al Truscott
    Yes I saw that a couple of days ago- they must put in two scoops / bottle.  On the can the serving size is 1 scoop.  
  • Options
    Race day tracking here:

https://www.sportstats.ca/display-results.xhtml?raceid=45827

Bib #s that I'm aware of:
    • Al Truscott - 5499
    • Paul Hough - 5455
    • Satish Punna - 5234
    • Julie Pfeifle - 5842

• Options
    Hey @Al Truscott, nothing to check on - I heard from the team coach that If swim is not wetsuit-legal and IF you wear a swim skin, you must race in it, so it's pretty much race in the kit (if not wetsuit legal) or wetsuit. 

And @Satish Punna, I also heard that the run course electrolyte drink essentially has no calories, so I'm adjusting my nutrition plan as I did not come prepared to carry my own fluids on the run.