Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2017 IM Florida- Week 10- Chime in! It's run time!

Greeting EN IM Florida athletes! Who's ready to chime in and get ready? Let's get our group going! Remember the importance of posting here in the forums...the forums are what make this team unique! TONS of knowledge right at your fingertips. Let’s keep it up!

Coach has developed some great plans and there is a TON of great content in the coach videos and podcasts.  This week Coach P. talks about run durability….its SO important so please watch!

Quick recap…..There were big changes to the OutSeason training plans, adding a significant "run durability" component by adding running frequency. So now as you head into the IM Full plan you will notice the following…….

• Split Long Run: in weeks 9 through 12, the long run is split into two Thursday sessions. The coaches experimented with this in 2015 and found they were able to run both runs a faster average pace and put up higher single day mileage, with less recovery cost vs a traditional one-session long run. Then then enables...

• Additional Friday Run: the ability to put in a run the day after the long run allows us to significantly boost the run volume, and therefore the run durability component, of the long course training plans.

• Saturday Pre-Ride Brick Run: this run, added to the plans years ago, remains a running staple.

• Sunday Post-Ride Brick Run: an extremely valuable session for helping our athletes dial in the critical first 4-6 miles of their running race execution strategy

So this week- let’s focus on that split long run and report back on how we do!  Check out the wiki page for more info! http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Understanding+the+Endurance+Nation+Split+Long+Run

Remember…..your race day run should be:

• Consistent

• Smart

• Effective

• Sustained Pace

PACING:

No one run will make or break your race but how you look at pacing will.  

Focus on sustainable pace.

RECOVERY:

Set yourself up like a rock star---

• Eat and Hydrate during your workout

• Recovery Shake immediately after

• Compression socks or resting in the first half hour window after.  Aim for at least one minute elevated resting legs per mile. i.e. 10 mile run, 10 minutes legs elevated, compression socks and resting.

****** Remember we are all one big endurance racing family! If you need ANYTHING from your trusty Race Captain…...I'm here! ******

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Laura! I am doing Florida for the third time.  Some other folks and I have been discussing the race on another thread, but I posted your link there to hopefully lead them here.
  • Options
    Hi Virginia,
    Wow you have raced FL 3 times. Would love to hear about your experiences of the course. I'm planning a recon trip in a few weeks. Do you know any of the local TRI clubs to meet with and for their work out spots?

Jose Carpio
  • Options

Hi Jose,

I really enjoy the Florida course.  The bike is flat, the run is two loops going through neighborhoods and a local park.  The swim is in the gulf so it can be a mixed bag.  I have done it twice, this will be my third time.  My first time the swim was cancelled but wetsuit legal, we had a time trial start for the bike.  The bike was very windy and the run was cold (45 ish).  Second time around the conditions were perfect.  A little warm so no wetsuit, but the bike and run were great. 

I don't know any local groups, but if you are on Strava, there iis an IMFL group and I think some of those folks are from PCB and might be able to suggest rides. 

How is your training going?  Are you in week 12?

• Options
    Hi Virginia, thank you for the details on IMFL. I'm on week 12 and the training is going great. I'm doing a HIM here in VA this weekend. It should be perfect weather. Let's hope it holds for FL (and wet suit legal). Stay healthy,
  • Options
    I'll be doing my fourth IM FL this November.  I've seen different condition down there except the non-wetsuit swim and I volunteered the year it was 40 degrees at the start (2010).  The swim format with seeded rolling start currently is much better than the first two times I did it as a mass start.  Not as much kung fu or salt water intake.  It's interesting that some years, the shore breakers are bad, while the swells further out are calm;  but I've had it reverse too last year where the swells seemed ridiculous.  The more recent bike course refresh is nice too with the subtraction of the bumpy out and back special needs section.  I really enjoy the single loop bike and the energy out on the run course (at least the first few miles along the beach) are great.  It does get dark in the state park if you are out that late.  I had a clip on visor light that came in handy a year or two.  
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,
    look forward to meeting you. Thanks for the input. I'm a newbie at this so here's hoping for a great day! In the mean time here is to a safe few final weeks of preparation.
  • Options
    I finished my final RR today!  All went well and surprisingly, the 6 hour bike went fast.  Feeling good about the race.  What does everyone say...Work, works!!
  • Options
    Great job @Virginia Edmonds.  Finished last long run today and its first time in a while that I don't have achy legs.  Could have kept going which is a good sign.   My long bike is Saturday, gonna go to Atlanta to ride the Silver Comet trail.  
  • Options
    Did my final RR this weekend.  There was a metric ride in a town about 15 miles from me.  So I rode there, rode the metric  and rode back.  Almost exactly 6 hours.  Big wind out of the east and hilly between here and there, so nothing to brag about except that I did it and its over.  Forecast for race day is a high of 72 low of 52 and winds out of the northeast at 6 - 8 mph.  0 rain chance.  About as good as it gets.  There northeast wind while small will have a calming effect on the sea and will be a tail wind for about the last 30 - 40 miles.  Im about 85 miles north of PC so I'll be going down Thurs.  If you need anything just Im me on Facebook or call me at 334-797-2422

Bib is 3038 old bald and comparatively fat at 239 and 65.

Any meet ups planned at this point?  
  • Options
    Checked out and made notes of the times to meet the intermediate cutoffs.  Feel good about everything except maybe the run.  However, if I meet my planned bike time, then I should have more than enough time to get there. First race I've done with special needs.  You vets have anything you would recommend for a special needs bag?  Also, do you change between bike and run?
  • Options
    For bike special needs, I put an extra tube and CO2 (in case first 56 miles was a disaster and used up first two).  I also put my second half nutrition bottles in there.  Also nice to put something fun in that bike like a small snickers or something to look forward to.  Ill also put some extra chamois cream in there in case the friction has been bad.

Run special needs I don't put a whole lot in, unless I think its going to get dark and cold (long sleeve shirt / and or a clip on headlight).  Only real place it gets dark dark on this course is in St Andrews Park, and coming back through some of the neighborhoods with the speed bumps.  Other than that I don't use run bag much.  

Just don't put anything expensive in these bags, as you won't get them back at the end of the race.