Homeโ€บ Announcements ๐ŸŽ™
Options

AltRed-Beet extract (betalains) as a performance supplement

Hi,

Has anyone tried "AltRed" or looked at the "research" they claim to have? I have seen beet juice referenced in a lot of places as being a popular (and supposedly data-driven) recovery "neutraceutical." I also need to look into the data on that, but I've seen it in enough places (and beets do feel great when I eat them) and beets are so rich in color, I'm sure they have some interesting bioactive molecules. I am a total believer that colorful fruits and vegetables have interesting health-promoting molecules you cannot get anywhere else. I want to read more about that sometime. The product manager (Travis Johnson, travis@sur.co ) at the Steelhead 70.3 asked about our team and if we'd be interested in a team discount or sponsorship @Brenda Ross and @Mariah Bridges .ย 

Would that interest anyone? I'd like to read more about the product and I would potentially be interested in a team discount.

https://sur.co/altred/

They actually have a link on their website to a peer-reviewed double blind clinical trial!
http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/4/3/40

It sounds legit. The abstract is pasted below:

"This study aimed to determine the effects of a betalain-rich concentrate (BRC) of red beets, containing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, on performance and exercise-related muscle damage. Thirteen (25.3 ยฑ 5.4 years) competitive male runners completed two double-blind, cross-over, randomized trials (BRC and control) separated by seven days. Each trial was preceded by six days of supplementation with 100 mg of BRC or control. On the seventh day, exercise trials commenced 150 min after supplementation with 50 mg BRC or control and consisted of 30 min of treadmill running (77 ยฑ 4% VO2max) followed by a 5-km time trial (TT). During exercise at the same intensity, BRC resulted in a 3% lower heart rate, a 15% lower rate of perceived exertion (RPE) and a 14% lower blood lactate concentration compared to the control (pย = 0.05). Five-kilometer TT duration (23.0 ยฑ 4.2 versus 23.6 ยฑ 4.0 min) was faster in 10 of the 13 subjects, and RPE was lower (pย < 0.05) with the BRC treatment compared to the control. Lactate dehydrogenase, a marker of muscle damage, increased less from baseline to immediately and 30 min after the 5-km TT with the BRC treatment, despite no differences in subjective measures of muscle soreness and fatigue"ย (Justin S. Van Hoorebeke et al. 2016)

Thanks!
-(Larry) Rob

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Larry Peters - Mariah is our sponsor gal, but if I recall we already have Beet Performer on board as one of our sponsors. ย 
  • Options
    Thanks @Brenda Ross , I'll check out "Beet Performer!"

-Rob
  • Options

Hi Larry! I use ALTED religously...and notice the difference! message me if you'd like to pick my brain..

In short, less lactic build up, reduced recovery time, and most notably, I feel like I have 'more oxygen'....

Also, it is not like simply ingesting beets, Altred separates the Betalain from the eet, which is the effective 'ingredient'

Msg me for any other ques! Liz

• Options

I also introduced the ALTRED team to EN, they are interesetd in a team sponsorhip..in the meantine, I cam give my my ambaassador code :) ( thats how much I dig the stuff! )

• Options

I use ALT Red and have notice a big difference in my training. Improved times in my swim, bike and run.

• Options

Thats cool Keith! last year I only took it on long days, this year I take everyday...I became an ambassador (a) because i sincerely believe in it and (b) it AINT cheap! so I get a discount :) Hit me up and I can give you a code.... peace :)