Home General Training Discussions

Coach P's Plan to Refocus on Kona 2017: T-Minus 8 Weeks [Input Requested]

2017 Kona Training & Race Plan

Constraints: Some “rules” I have on my radar.

• My personal history re Qualify & Race In Kona within a 12-week window or less means the best you can hope for is to replicate your effort. IOW, there is very little opportunity to gain new fitness.

• The run remains a limiter for me, and Kona rewards those who run well...especially in the heat.

• Volume isn’t the answer for Kona speed. I must...resist...the urge, especially on the run.

Previous Lessons Learned:  What I have learned in past races in Kona.

• The Swim is tough and largely dependent on conditions. Difference between a 1:06 (my best) and 1:16 (my worst) had little to do with my swim fitness.  Swimming non-wetsuit means you have to swim with others, and be ready to stay strong on the second half when the current typically pick up.

• The Bike can be fast on the right day. If historical conditions prevail, I can ride sub-5 to get re-integrated with the race. But winds could derail all of that. There is a freight train heading out of town early, and it’s critical to get in there. The faster you get to the Hawi turn the better your chances of beating the headwinds and heat on the return...and you might have company there instead of fighting solo.

• The Run is a sufferfest. My best run there was on a cloudy day, but recently my good runs have just been steady runs. No goals...just run an HR and watch it in a few strategic areas. Best outcome is to hope for is not slowing down over the final 10k from the Energy Lab. Aid station execution is paramount as this is where I slow down most of all.

• Other Lessons:

• Getting to the Island early matters for acclimation, and I do travel early with the Team for training (8 days pre race).

• Being light matters re heat accumulation on the run (here)...I normally race Kona at 86 kgs (188), but raced Tremblant at 81 (178). Not sure I'll get back there...but if I can, then I aim for 175 so see if that's possible. 

2017 Overall Goal: Use Swim to Set Up an Aggressive Bike Strategy Then Run Steady.

Swim Training:

• I have already checked out Mike Roberts' Swim Faster eBook...so much goodness. 
  • Add in Core Work to get stronger there and not let my hips flop around / legs separate (form).
  • Work on getting cadence up for my hour swims from 40-ish to 50-ish+ by race day...without breaking my wrists (bad form).
  • Continue big swim yardage (5x week) on Vasa as it’s easy and helps across the board.
  • One OWS a week as able to work on cadence and transfer of fitness to open water.

Bike Training:

• 2 x FTP rides / ZWIFT races during the week

• 2 x ABP rides...one on Sundays with the Team, other as I am able.

• Save long rides until two weeks out.

Run Training:

• Ease back into the first week of running (9/4).

• Frequent short runs at TRP pace are key.

• Run on the small hills in my town as much as possible.

• 1 Fast VO2 run a week.

Training Milestones By Week:

• 8/21: Recovery Week 1; a few light sessions.

• 8/28: Recovery Week 2; consistent bike and swim. Longer easy bike on weekend + ABP ride.

• 9/04: Restart the Run with Frequency, 20 miles

• 9/11: Regular Week

• 9/18: Regular Week

• 9/25: 2 x Race Simulation Ride + Long Run

• 10/2: Final Long Run, Acclimation ride in Kona.

• 10/9: Race Week

Basic Week:

Mon - Swim Long

Tue - FTP Ride + TPR Brick, Swim Intervals w/ Cadence

Wed - Swim Long / VO2 Run

Thu - FTP Ride + TRP Brick, Swim Intervals w/ Cadence

Fri - Swim Long / ABP Ride

Sat - Long Run

Sun - ABP Ride, Optional TRP Brick

Questions:

I would love your input in general. Need ideas for a good 15’ to 20’ core session I can do at night. 

Thanks Team!

Comments

• Coach P - I've been giving a lot of thought to heat myself. 104º and darned humid! I plan to use Bikram yoga to pre-acclimatize. I experimented with this last year and learned a few things:
    1. About 3 weeks with 3 sessions per week makes a huge difference. I make a trip to Miami in July while doing Bikram and was able to run easily from the first day. In the past, I suffered ≈2:00/mile decrease in pace until I was used to it.
    2. You have to watch your hydration when doing Bikram and Ironman training... I had some miserable training sessions after Bikram.
    3. The Bikram helped my running. The poses are very good rehab from the IM training sessions.
    Good luck!
  • edited August 28, 2017 2:34AM
    Revised:
    • 8/21: Recovery Week 1; a few light sessions.

• 8/28: Recovery Week 2; consistent bike and swim. Longer easy bike on weekend + ABP ride.

• 9/04: Restart the Run with Frequency, 20 miles

• 9/11: 2 x Race Sim Ride

• 9/18: Regular Week, with Long Run

• 9/25: Regular Week, Final Long Run

• 10/2: Acclimation rides in Kona.

• 10/9: Race Week

Notes on My edits:
    -You'll not make improvements to your race outcomes with additional volume and/intensity after 4-5 weeks out. 
    -But you can in those weeks
    -the bigger the guy and the bigger the fitness, the more taper needed
    -week of 9/25, start your taper and begin to  bring down volume.   I disagree with the '17 plans where this can / should be a big week: it's too close and this won't even add sharpening.   And I don't think you need a final long run - maybe 2 x 1.5 at mostly HMP?    Let those long ride re-teach your body how to use glycogen instead.   O 
    Running: a Strong no to v02 runs.  They might make you feel sharp, but this period is the time for specificity ... s  HMP work instead.  Or those "cruise intervals" we talked about a few weeks ago.    If you REALLY need to stress your v02 (and again, I don't know why) just hammer up hills that occur in your run. 
    -Why nightly core?  Maybe 2/3 week after the pool, yes, but you've got the core strength and stability to cover off what you need to ride in aero long, and to run long.  Unless you're planning to wear a Kenny Sousa crop-top on ali'i?  
     -do whatever you can do in your long rides to give specific prep for staying low and not coming off the gas in the last ~30 m of the bike.  
    -If you don't have enough going on already, make 9/25 a 4 x quality swim week. 

• Oh - and learn to draft on the swim.  Seriously.  This is 4 minutes to you  and puts you closer to the right group (for you) to be riding out to Hawi.   
  • Core - My Chiropractor who is a very strong cyclist, believes in KISS for everything. He believes in Planks, side planks and if lacking a 45 degree back extension board, "supermans" & hip lifts
    #s 1 & 3 on this page - I actually just started tracking my weekly time on this as I work up to daily given my back issues, I've been negligent on this piece for a while. 

@Rich Stanbaugh - you may have just convinced me to do yoga
  • I agree with Dave on the Long Run...great time to do split runs at HMP....rather than single long runs...

to quote a smart guy "Volume isn’t the answer for Kona speed. I must...resist...the urge, especially on the run" :)

• I can almost refer you to my own micro thread ! same boat as you but not for Kona =) - will be following.

As for the core, I always do a 20' after swim, its convenient. Its all different kind of planks - 
  • ... also, Patrick, will you be posting a request for Mental Prep for Kona in a separate thread?   This deserves a discussion of its own, and there are lotsa skills that deserve training (and merit as much practice as s b r)!
  • Great stuff here.  My quick thoughts:

Your greatest threat right now is re-injuring yourself.  And the best way to do that, coming off a hard IM run, is intensity.  Personally, I would (and am) avoid VO2 work like the plague.  High-risk/low-reward proposition.

I've found that I race far better when I dial back the Wk 18 big weekend.  I still ride longish, but not that crazy three days of back-to-back 250+ TSS riding.  Again, though, that's just me, especially this year when I don't have the big CTL to even attempt to absorb that.

The only modifications I'm making to my swim training are to account for the no-wetsuit and the currents.  I'm doing kicks sets and avoiding the buoy/sim shorts.  And, for the currents, I'm doing sets that include higher-intensity and higher-turnover work.  Those who can keep their foot on the gas thrive in currents, whereas gliders get chewed up.

P.S.  I've already signed up for the Ho'ala swim on the 7th.  Good time to practice drafting.
  • All...please keep it rolling..I check again tonight to get smarter with your input...thanks folks!!!
  • edited August 28, 2017 6:50PM
    Only the last few weeks have I now gotten over the hump form Placid and feel back on track minus volume.  I've found that easy long runs (10miles) and some VO2 max short runs (really hard) have done wonders for getting my legs back and feeling good running.  I actually feel stronger then before Placid (running).  Right now it's a big swim focus for me - have to get stronger for that swim.  Totally agree  @Mike Roberts about turnover.
    Don't have a clue what to do regrading the bike (how long, how often?) other then the 1 FTP session per week and some medium rides on the weekends...  

The big wrench in the works for me is Chattanooga.  Not sure how to incorporate that into everything??

Interested in hearing as much feedback/advice as I can get!  

• P - you have the most important thing going into Kona....experience.   You've raced on the Island more than most people have raced period.   @dave mentions mental prep which is so different for each person...you've been to this party enough to know what works for you.   What I love about this (but also makes it so damn hard) is that there is no right or wrong.   Dave and I are nearly polar opposites but both make it work.  For me, I don't think or worry much about the race in the few days leading up to the big day.  I try to disconnect from triathlon and have confidence that I have validated my fitness via training and race day is just putting that to work.   I don't need to worry or stress about anything else.  

Here are my thoughts based on a sample of 1 Kona experience.

Preparing to race in the heat is best done by training in the heat.   Getting their as early as possible will help, but I didn't attempt any sauna sessions, hot yoga, etc leading up to Kona and managed the heat well.  It simply becomes a matter of hydration/nutrition and pacing just like any other race.   Note that I also saw this at PR70.3 where I raced in Kona-esque conditions literally 3 days after leaving snow and 20's in Wisconsin with zero heat training.   

I'd be uber careful about both volume and intensity given your come from state.  I'd focus on building back some volume slowly and intelligently with very targeted long rides and long runs as @Dave Tallo mentioned.  You clearly have the fitness.

And the most important thing to remember...the key to solid race day execution is the ability to red face run.   :)

• ALL, many thanks...super appreciated...just as an update here's where I am at with my head: 

Basic Week:

• Mon - Swim Long
    • Tue - FTP Ride + TPR Brick, 30’ Swim Intervals w/ High Turnover
    • Wed - Swim Long / HMP Run
    • Thu - FTP Ride + TRP Brick, 30’ Swim Intervals w/ High Turnover
    • Fri - Bike Long @ Race Pace, solid last 30’
    • Sat - Swim Long / HMP Run
    • Sun - ABP Ride, Optional TRP Brick
    General Schedule: Note the bikes are generally 4 a week...that's not so clear. 

I'd like to do the Bikram, but not sure I have enough time to keep my job and do all of this. :smile:

Yes to the mental side @Dave Tallo But not for a few days....

Again, thanks all!!

Ps - @peter lautenslager You are in a great place to build and get 70.3 fast for CHOO. Runs shouldn't be longer than Half training, and the rides can get longer in that next week...you can do 2 longer rides (only those rides) the week after CHOO to get that back in your system...otherwise I think you will be set as we have discussed.
  • edited September 18, 2017 4:44PM
    All, I have updated the "Two Ironman / Revenge Protocol" page in the Wiki with a Coach Video and Worksheet Download thanks to your input. You can find it here.

You rock!!!
  • @Coach Patrick ... this should have been my first question, but ... what is your objective for Kona?   I'm guessing that you see a 9:30 goal?  Or better? 
  • @Coach Patrick You dropped this on the day I was out racing in Penticton, so I'm a little late to the party, but my thoughts:

• Your general approach is smart
    • You CAN get to/stay @ 175-7 for this race (80kg), it will be your #1 asset for so many reasons.
    • Reminder of the value to run durability of sitting in an 80C dry sauna for 20 minutes immediately after a run 3x/week if you can arrange it. I run from the gym, sauna, then do some light lifting after.
    • Reminder that the core extends from the mid-thigh to the lower edge of the rib cage. Meaning, continued work on strengthening those small muscles in your hips and glutes is going to keep your pelvis ready for the Queen K and Energy Lab.
    • One I've found very effective for upper hamstring/Piriformis is one-legged hip thrusts. And for the small hip muscles themselves, side legs raises, both straight legged and knee bent, and clam shells.

• @Dave Tallo - no goals there, it's only process. If I have learned anything racing there, it's that goals don't mean a damn thing when (not if) it gets hard. 

My job now is to create an optimal physical state heading into the race. Going to be interesting to see if the discipline remains intact. :)

@Al Truscott I did drop this when you were racing....I had to do SOMETHNG inbetween those laps!! I like the idea of run/sauna/lift. We have a place the next town over at an old school Y I can check it out. Thanks!!
  • @Coach Patrick --- you got me. I was planning to get your goal in order to hack all of your Passwords and change the site name to endurancenation.ca.   Busted! 

Talk to me more about that "optimal physical state."  If it means leaving 5-8 lbs on the mainland, I could use some of that. 
  • I have read all.  Today it was close to 100 here...you could wear extra clothes when you train, instead of the normal summer attire...