Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum 🏎

Alicia Chase's LP 70.3 Race Plan

Between 9/4-9/9--Clean bike and drive train. Review packing and to-do list. Driving up morning of race, so need to tweak the list esp re: wake up, pre-race nutrition, etc. Not going to obsess about weather, only in terms of making sure I have appropriate gear for conditions.
Race day--Once body marked and transition set up, leave time to warm up before swim--maybe short run before putting on wetsuit, and since water likely to be colder than what I'm used to, get in, get my face wet, stay in until I can swim comfortably.
Swim--Lining up in the 3rd wave (36-45 min. Most training swims in 41-43 min range, so will try to line up somewhere in back half of group.) Goal is to stay inside my box, swim calmly and steadily, pick a spot where contact will be minimal, then not worry about it. Plan to wear bra and tri shorts. If water colder than 65 deg. may wear sleeveless top to be taken off and left in T1. Will use wetsuit strippers and do the run as quickly as possible.
T1--Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Dry jersey, arm warmers, bandana already tied for hair, helmet, glasses, shoes, and go. Any other clothes weather dependent, but unless it's raining or below 50 deg, probably won't add more than maybe a vest and gloves.
Bike--Watch power, goal is not higher than .83 IF for total bike. Need to keep it around .78 IF in first 7-8 miles for climb to top of Cascades. PowerBar cut into chunks and gels in top tube bag. Start eating w/gel first 5-10 min on bike, then PB chunk every 20-25 min, then switch to gels for last 45-60 min of bike. Carry 3 bottles of Skratch, goal is at least 1 bottle per hour. Base Salt in feed bag if weather is hot, or if I grab water at aid stations. Pee at least once on bike, 2xs better if I can time 2nd one to shortly before end of bike.Β 
T2--Once bike racked, take off helmet, any extra clothes not needed for run (weather dependent) sit down, put on socks and shoes, grab cap and belt and go. Put cap Β and belt on while running.Β 
Run--Try not to overcook run out of town and downhill, HR same as last hour on bike for 1st 30 min (prob around 140-142 bpm). Depending on when last gel was on bike, hit 1st or 2nd aid station for gel. Take gel at start of every 3rd aid station after that, grab water at end and take with Base Salt (in race belt). Do a water break at the end of next aid station after a gel station. Do salt with all water. Run through next station if not hot. Next hour, try to keep HR under 150-152 bpm. Try to keep effort steady without worrying about pace on hills. After Lisa G's just run last hill into town any way I can, without blowing up and having to walk. Let it fly on out and back on Mirror Lake Drive. Give it all I have left, don't stop at last 2 aid stations unless I absolutely have to.Β 
Enjoy the finish chute, don't screw up someone else's finisher pic.
Tagged:

Comments

• Race Plan Update: Didn't get about half the taper training done this week due to work, work fatigue and weather. No training Friday and Saturday before the race, which is probably not good, but I really needed to get rested. Plus, the weather is cold and rainy, and I can't see the benefit of suffering through a miserable workout--happier this way. Also, stressing over family in FL. They weren't able to evacuate and are basically going to take a direct hit. Anyway, bike is racked. Will be wearing booties and a neoprene cap on the swim. Water should be above 60 deg, but not much above. Last week's OWS in 65 deg water, I was 3 minutes slower than I've been--so going out at the back of the 3rd wave, expected finish, 45 min. Going to take my time getting in, getting my face wet and breathing under control, then just focus of swimming steadily, and remembering to kick a bit to ward off cold water leg cramps.

T1--will use wetsuit strippers, but leaving booties on to run in. Wearing long sleeve UnderArmor for swim that I will strip off, towel off upper body and hair as best I can--short sleeved team jersey, arm warmers, vest (or possibly jacket with zip-off sleeves), gloves, bandana for hair, towel around waist to strip off wet shorts and put on dry, knee warmers, socks, bike shoes with toe warmers, helmet, glasses, and go. Timed myself today--it will take 3 min just to get dressed. So, T1 will not be fast--expecting around 7-8 min.

Prob will have to stop to pee-can't see peeing on the bike when it's that cold and when I have that many clothes on. (Temp range for bike: 45-55 deg from start to finish). Decided that this race will be about having a good run. I haven't done a good tri run since late 2015. So, will prob keep the first 1.5 hrs around 75%, then go for 80-81% for rest--finish in around 3:15-3:20.Β 

T2--It will now be warm enough to strip down to shorts and jersey--may leave arm warmers on, depending on how cold it feels. Will be faster to take things off, but still slower than typical T2--3 to 4 min.

Would like to do the run in under 2 hrs. Plan to keep HR around 145 for first 3 mi, then push it up to 150-155 until mile 10-ish. After passing aid station at Lisa G's, that's when I start the push for the finish.Β