Home General Training Discussions
Options

Which bike do I ride?

This thought came to me while listening to the podcast on my way home from the pool this morning. I have 2 road bikes same model etc (Canondale Synapse). Ones an aluminum with a triple chain ring. Ones a carbon fiber compact. I'm riding Augusta 70.3 in 3 weeks and at 258 lbs. I'm told it's quite hilly. In the spirit of Rich's comments about gearing would I be wise to ride the triple, saving my legs for the run?  Or is that cheating? "A" race is IM Fl. In about 8 weeks which is flat. Will ride the carbon for that. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I think that the lighter bike would be best for hilly courses. What is the gearing for the carbon bike?

I rode Augusta last year and the hills, while there, didn't jump up on you.  I was able to keep my cadence up around 80-90 for all of the climbs. For reference my FTP was ~260.   I rode with a compact up front and an 11-28 in the back.  

I don't have experience on a three ring bike so I can't comment fully.  
  • Options
    Compact is 11 23 I believe. While I don't have a power meter, I think trainer road gives me an FTP of about 205
  • Options
    I would use the carbon bike and get a different cassette. You will have more cadence gaps; however, you will have a much higher cadence on the climbs. 
  • Options
    @Chris that's what Rich was promoting in the podcast. Maybe the best solution after all. Thanks for your help.