Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Anna Stanbaugh - IMMT 2017 - RR

My goals were as usual: finish, have fun and I was hoping for an improvement compared to the IMMT 2015 (my first one). 

Finished 14:04:02 PR by ca. 6 min (on the same course)

During the training season I followed the plan as much as possible but I tried to listen to my body and not overdo it. Previous year I felt like I did too much and my power on the bike went down. I participated in the Blue Ridge bike camp and Al’s Aspen camp. I didn’t swim much – started in June and most swims were open water. 

Wednesday: rode part of the bike course (Monte Ryan) 

Saturday: went to bed around 10:00 pm but couldn’t sleep much

Sunday morning
Wake-up 4:00 am., got ready, breakfast, off to transition with Rich: set up bike, added drinks to transition bags, team photo, walked to swim start.

Swim: 1:31:49 (PR by ca. 4 min on the same course)
Seeded myself in the 1:30 group. Started to the right. Swim smooth and consistent. Not much contact. It got a little choppy in half way through, but not too bad. For me a good swim esp. considering how little I swam this year. 

T1: 09:55:
jogged/walked to the tent, dried off a little, shoved bubble wrap under my jersey, grabbed my shoes and socks and off to get bike. Put on my shoes by the bike and off I went… 

Bike: 7:10:19 (PR by ca. 10 min on the same course)
Based on my planned power and the training rides and best bike split about what expected. 
Target NP was 113 for the first 30-60 min, 119-120 after that. I got on the bike and noticed that my Garmin was off even though I left it on before race start. I turned it on and it worked for about 2 minutes (dead! Even though I charged the hell out of it the days before). I thought OK, plan B: my watch… I look at it and it is not showing power! Great! I spend about 15 min trying to connect it to my power meter without success. I guessed I might have to stop the recording to do so but wasn’t sure and decided not to do it (in retrospect probably should have). Plan C: ride by heart rate… After about 20 min it started showing me a heart rate of 35 – right! Plan D: ride by feel (I had time and speed measurements at least to have an idea how I was doing). That’s what I did. So I don’t know exactly how I did. There were moments where I thought I was losing focus and going too easy, but who knows. Second loop on the bike got windy (mostly head wind, some from the side) on the way out but I thought: OK, it will be better on the way back… I turn around and: what the…???? Head wind again! How is it possible? That slowed me down. Second time on the climb was hard, but that was expected. At least it was not super hot and it didn’t rain. 

Nutrition: I had a feeder bottle with Roctane (250 cal. each). I tried to drink as much as possible, but probably had a little less than planned (it’s hard for me to keep track during the race). I had also some bonk breakers and a gel. Plan was to have about 350 cal. / hour. I didn’t quite get it all down though (I had leftover food when I was done). I had hard time eating: made me feel nauseous and I noticed that it felt like the food and liquid was sitting in my stomach without being absorbed. I had the glorious idea to take some salt after 4-5 h of riding (probably should have done it earlier). That made it a little better. I peed only 1.5 times – not much – I thought I drank enough, but I have hard time keeping track. I was taking some Tylenol and Ibuprofen when my knees were hurting… 
I stopped once at the penalty tent because I thought I might have gotten a penalty and wanted to make sure I will not get disqualified. I was OK, but it cost me time… 

T2: 04:34: (PR) 
Cleaned off a little with a wet towel, changed shorts and socks, put on shoes, grabbed bag with the rest, off… 

Run: 5:07:25 (slower on the same course by about 7.5 min)
Plan was to run by HR... 

Since I dind’t have accurate HR readings, I had to run by feel. Walked up the steep hills and at some aid stations to get water refill for the bottle I carried with me (I had Scratch powder with me and mixed it with water). I grabbed some ice for the plastic bag and showed it in my sports bra. I drank and ate about as planned but didn’t have it in me to run faster. One pit-stop on the second loop. Mostly steady pace (slower on hills). Negative split the run again (by about 6 min). 

Nutrition: 500 ml. Scratch (3 total), 2x goo, some water, coke on the second loop, some oranges, 1 salt tab.  

Overall good race execution considering I had to go by feel the entire race.  

Tagged:

Comments