Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Lynsey Fugate Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• Ironman Florida 11/4/17
  • Ironman Boulder 6/10/18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/11/2017
  • Complete the Trial Testing Week, save your Bike and Run Zones to the My Zones Page.
  • On 8/14/2017 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 11/5/2017
  • On 11/6/2017 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/3/2017
  • On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/31/2017
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 3/5/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/9/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/8/2018

Coach Notes

Okay, your Roadmap has been officially updated...I know you have a Half shortly before refocusing on IMFL. 

Once you are through IMFL, we recover, do Run Durability and enjoy one light "free week" in early 2018 before the OS. 

You will do the first 8 weeks, then into the Bike Focus plan to get the bike stronger...and start building some bike volume. 

You'll do just 5 weeks (of the 6 in that plan) and then transition over to the IM plan into Boulder...it's going to be epic!

When you get a chance, let me know how your build to FL is going these days!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Just want to say thank you for the help with the training plans. I got on the podium for the first time ever in an Ironman at IMFL for my 6th one. Hopefully I will continue to creep my way up and make it to Kona one day. I didn't have a PR, but my run for the first time ever felt AMAZING. Crazy what taking it easy on the bike will do for you. 
  • Options
    @Lynsey Fugate - I was following you all day! You really have a drill on the bike after that great swim, and to see the Run performance just made me smile. That is the first and most important step in making the move towards colder.

You need to have some really solid confidence in your ability to run and not so down. You now have that in your back pocket! Enjoy your recovery and I look forward to helping you in 2018!
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2017 11:58PM

@Lynsey Fugate

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

So I've been following current plan and am on my last week for IM recovery plan and am about to change to the run durability program. I did want to add that I am planning on a half marathon Rock the Parkway on April 14 and thinking it is kind of for training so B or C race? Also for after Ironman boulder, I am planning on Vegas Marathon on Nov. 11th which would be a late season A race. I will be signing up for an IM in 2019, so I don't want to lose fitness either.

Also... I haven't signed up for a podcast because I am not sure I have much to say about what I did. I just finially followed all of your direction. :)

Thanks again for everything! 

Your Races

• half marathon Rock the Parkway on April 14 

• Ironman Boulder (2018-06-10) #IMBoulder_18

• 11/11/18 Las Vegas Marathon

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017

•  On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/31/2017

• On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018

• On 1/8/2018 Load the intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

• On 3/12/2018 Load the Beginner Swim Camp to end on 3/25/2018

• On 3/26/2018 Load the intermediate EN*Full to end on 6/10/2018

• On 6/11/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/8/2018

• On 7/9/2018 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 11/18/2018

• On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 12/2/2018     

Coach Notes

Okay, season plan updated!!! I don't care when you start the Run Durability Program (RDP) only that you are full on into it so that we can roll into the OutSeason®. Per our chats, I believe you are only just doing this now, so that's no rush. You'll likely exit the RDP early into the OutSeason Plan, so plan on that. Then it's Swim Camp and the EN*Full Plan for a max build into Boulder.  Recover and then marathon time!!!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thanks so much! Only one question...Was it an accident that you put Beginner Full plan? Should I be doing advanced or do you think that is too much?
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2017 11:59PM
    That totally was a mistake! I would like you to go intermediate both for the out season as well as for the full distance plan. Regarding the full distance plan, let’s see how the first four weeks of it go. If you’re hitting all the workouts and things are good we can transition you for the final push into your race up to the advanced plan.
  • Options
    Hi coach,

i have been reading some things for IMBO and am freaking myself out a little about the altitude. I’m getting there on the Wed. Before the race. Does the altitude matter that much? Help! Also I was going to change from ecaps to base salt they have on course because I had some cramping I’m  IMFL the last hour of my run. Do you think I should change or stay the same? Thanks for the input!!
  • Options
    Scaps not ecaps btw
  • Options
    @Lynsey Fugate -  before you go nuts reading about the effects of altitude, you might want to do some research here in the forms as well. I think I’m going to even put an article in the wiki, but @Al Truscott  has shared some great insights. Our general guidance is that we will back our power and effort down to accommodate for the additional stress and racing at altitude. The biggest impact is on your perceived effort in the swim, so it’s much more about better pacing than anything else.

Since you are a woman, you are significantly better pacer than most of the other competitors on race day! Mainly because guys are idiots, but I think you’ll be all right.

Cramping at the end of your run like that is more likely due to what you were taking in during the run itself. Possibly too much fluids in the early miles of the run. I am OK with your salt system of choice, but I suggest you take a good look at the sodium you are consuming on the bike and the early miles of the run as well. Lets not just have this be a Band-Aid solution.

I do recommend that everyone considers racing with gatorlytes, which are packets of sodium and other trace minerals which you can pour into a cup of Coke or Gatorade to quickly ramp up your sodium and settle your gut. 

I usually use one or two on the run. In fact, when you see me Racing with the Fuelbelt, I have a packet of those diluted in some water which I squirt into every cup from the aid station to “spike” the contents with some sodium. 
  • Options
    Thank you for the info. I am going to get some gatorlytes. Do you mix any for on the bike? I've been trying to take 1000mg/hr, but I did lose track on my run in FL, so that is most likely the issue. 
  • Options
     I always have some on my bike, usually taped to my handlebars just in case. Kind of like having a fire extinguisher for your stomach. But I never really use them.

Instead, I plan out my nutrition ahead of time so I know I’m pretty close to my salt requirements. That way I can always add some salt stick pills if I need to   .

But I do use them on the run as I described above. As long as you’re running easily at the start of the run, there is plenty of time for you to digest and get your stomach straight!
  • Options
    Thank you for all the great info. 

One last thing, was just looking at my plan...could you let me know how you want this to go? I think it was a mistake in the order and what to choose when and what to stop what when: 

• On 1/8/2018 Load the intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

• On 3/12/2018 Load the Intermediate Swim Camp to end on 3/25/2018

Thanks!

Lynsey

• Options
    also, this was in front of the 1/8. I am currently doing Run Durability, but looks like I should be doing Outseason?

• On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018

• Options
     Sorry for the confusion. Are usually write “transition early“ in the space. I only wanted you to do the first week or so of the run durability to plan and then move into the Outseason. So please jump in with the JANOS people this week! 
  • Options
    Hi Coach Patrick, 

I was looking forward to what I was supposed to do next week and I may be over looking something, but can't find this: 

• On 3/26/2018 Load the intermediate EN*Full to end on 6/10/2018

I can't find the 2018 EN full. It seems like all of them are run or bike focused? Do I need to pick one? Also 20 or 12 wk?

Thanks!
    Lynsey
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion. When I release the 2018 plans in January I changed the names. You want to do the run focused 2018 half plan. Inside the main set of each plan you will see different ability levels designations. This way you can choose on any given day. L1 corresponds to beginner, L2 to intermediate, L three to advanced! Good luck.
  • Options
    ok great thank you! I'm assuming you mean Full not half? Just making sure. Thank you so much for your help!!
  • Options
     Yes sorry I did not change your key race I promise! :-) 
  • Options
    :) Thank you, you are the best!
  • Options
    Hey there! Hope all is well!

Quick question about this week with the camp training. I am unable to do the Friday long workout just because of work and I would be up all night. How do you want me to finagle that? Do you want me to do long run Friday then the two long rides Saturday and Sunday or skip a long ride or do long run Thursday? 

Thanks in advance for the info!

Lynsey
  • Options
    Long run Friday then the two days (over the weekend) and Monday off. 

The back to back rides are where it’s at!!!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Hi Coach, 

I have been looking at the schedule for next year. After the Vegas Marathon Nov. 11th, 2018 I have planned to do two Ironman's in 2019: 
    Ironman Texas April 27, 2019
    Ironman Cozumel TBA - assuming Nov. 17th, 2019.

Just looking for a plan for after the marathon. No hurry, I can wait until later if you want. Just wanted to make sure you thought this was an ok plan. 

Thanks,

Lynsey
  • Options
     Yes, it is OK. The trick will be getting you enough rest after the marathon that you can build to Texas and still be OK. There is plenty of time to recover across the rest of your season and to Cozumel. That will be a nice “second season“ for you.

What are your goals for the marathon specifically? How do you train for it and how you race it will determine how it impacts your winter.
  • Options
    Well prior to thinking about doing IMTX, I thought about just holding the best pace possible, but thinking now that I should take it easy? I wouldn't mind going under 4hrs, but I have never been under 4 hours (only done two JUST marathons and 7 Ironmans and none of them have been under 4). I will happily do whatever pace you think. I have been following the balanced marathon training plan 24 weeks and have been following it faithfully. LMK what you think I need to do. I would rather have a better Ironman if I had to choose. 

Thanks so much for your input
  • Options
    I think you can still work on having a good race, so I don’t want to exclude that. The reason I asked is that for some people, targeting a fast Marathon means annihilating themselves for 2 to 3 months. That is very hard to recover from.

Sounds like you are in a good place. What has been the average pace for your longer runs? I know they are still short right now but it will give me a ballpark.
  • Options
    Well been taking the long runs as a “just as I feel pace” between 9:20-9:30. During the week I follow the actual paces. Z1: 9:36, Z2: 8:15, Z3: 7:42. Been feeling pretty good so far.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2018 3:39PM
    ok i signed up for final surge too fyi
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2018 1:27PM
    :)
  • Options
    Since I am officially signed up for IMTX 2019, do I need to incorporate longer bike rides and swimming near Nov or can I wait until I am done with the Marathon?