Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Tom’s IM Santa Cruz 70.3 Race Report - Off to South Africa for 70.3 World Championship next year.

2nd AG 55-59

Sometimes opportunity just shows up at your doorstep. All the fast peeps were at the World Championships in Chattanooga. Then you find out at the swim start that it's all fogged in and they decide to cut the distance to 900 yards or so. Everyone was sent out on about one-second intervals so no congestion or panic attacks for me. 15 minutes later I was in my happy place hammering away on the bike passing everyone. 2nd off the bike. Second off the run. Not the day I planned on or expected but pretty happy! As to the World Championships in South Africa next year, the guy who won my AG didn't show for the awards and the only slot in my AG rolled down to me. Lucky but pretty cool.

I actually signed up for Santa Cruz for general race experience as I don’t race that much and to practice my nutrition plan for my upcoming IM Florida race.  My earlier IM Texas race ended badly in a nutrition melt down.

I’m a terrible swimmer and do reasonably well at 70.3s but can never get to the podium because I give away so much time on the swim and just can’t make it back.  Last year I finished AG 8th with a strong bike and run.

This year I was out of the water in about 14.5 minutes.  Thrilled knowing the pros came out in about 10 minutes so for the first time in 15+ years of racing, I was still in contention after the swim.

The bike was a roller out and back along the freeway.  Tucked in aero except for the uphill parts.  I averaged 215 watts, going about 10 watts faster for the first half over the second half.  A 2:29 time was 13 minutes faster than last year. (The course was modified with a large hill and treacherous descent removed.)

The run was just a cruise control run.  Overall 1:41, with a 7:42 pace.  7:41 first half, 7:44 last half.  I had hoped to run the last 3 downhill miles a little faster but didn’t have the energy.

A little sore this morning but not so bad.

Some quick thoughts on stuff I learned along the way:

·     Powdered Gatorade tastes way different than the pre-mix on course stuff.  I’ve been working with the Core Diet group and was planning on fueling mostly off the course for my next IM.  May need to rethink that.

·     My expensive tri suit (LG M2), hardly ever used, was thread bare on the backside.  I didn’t notice until race day :).  Check swimsuits, cycling shorts and swimsuits for wear and tear more often!

·     Kids love handing out water and Gatorade at the bike aid stations.  Solid food and gels, not so much.  I had planned to eat off the course as practice.  When I rolled into the 3 aid stations and hollered for the PowerBar, kids went scrambling to find them as I rode by at 20 mph.  Next time I carry my own food!

·     My Stryd Power Meter didn’t work on my Garmin 920XT in triathlon mode.  Note sure why.

·     I decided to try shoe laces again to get a snugger fit with my Hokas.  I’m switching back to speed laces for the next race.  Much more convenient and faster change times.

·     I've started 1-1 swimming lessons a few weeks ago.  It's time to fix my swim!

On to IM Florida.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    Nice work and good lessons learned.  Congratulations!
  • Options
    Great confidence booster...I can just see you hearing about the short swim... B)
  • Options
    A big congratulations! That is awesome.  Must have been a great feeling coming out of the water.  Outstanding bike and run!
  • Options
    Tom - congrats on a 'crack-a-lackin' performance!   A top performance plus luck wins the day.  I've got Augusta 70.3 in another week and would love to get a slot, but yeah, I'm going to need a top 5 placing and a LOT of luck to get the one slot for M60.  Be sure to put Addo Elephant Park on your to-do list for South Africa.  The tour company I went with earlier this year was great.