Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Maggie's Xmas 5k from 2012

A day in the life , told from Maggie .... RIP

Momma signed up the family for a local 5k in Laconia for today.  Daddy was still recovering from Ironman stuff and was gonna walk/race with me.  Yesterday the forecast was for just clouds.  When we got up this am , surprise , the forecast was for 100% rain. Leading up to the race I didn't do anything out of the ordinary , just my usual 2 mile daily walk, and kept my diet the same. I mean 5k is only a little further than that right?  

Race Day-  I got up at 6:30 am , Momma shared some of her english muffing with peanut butter on it , I had some water, and did my business outside.  All cleaned out and ready to go.  Its pouring out and we hadnt even left the house yet and I was shivering.  Good thing Dad is making me wear the Santa Vest that Mom bought for me althought I hate it and I think it looks stupid it will help keep me warm.  We get to the bike shop where the race starts , Mom and Dad leave me in the car to pick up our race packets, then they come back to get me. Back at the bike store everyone thinks my outfit is adorable so maybe its not that bad afterall. Everyone was really cool except this other dog named Dixon  who is very friendly but I still wanted nothing to do with him so I attacked him.  His dumb owners just wouldnt catch on and put a leash on him and keep him away from me for his own damn good.  Finally the race starts.  Mom is up front and Dad and I are lined up in back.  1 2 3 go and were off.  Yep still raining.  I make it about .25 miles and we hit some grass, oops gotta go, another pooh , second one today, maybe a little GI distress or ate too much?  Anyway Dad picks it up and were back on course in last place.   Then I gotta pee, and again, and again.... Uh oh maybe I over hydrated a little bit... I'll rethink this strategy later when I analyze my results. About a 1/2 mile in 2 women who were in front of us are quitting and turning around to go back.  We arent quitting keep moving Dad says even though I wanted to stop and smell the grass every 5 steps or so.  About 2 miles in we catch the 9 yr old little girl who is racing with Dixon, she is slowing and looking for the truck to pick her up.  We catch them so I attack Dixon.  Its a race right everything goes?  She moves ahead. WE catch and attack. Finally the truck picks them up.  Finally as we approach the finish a guy yells to Dad hey Heather is over there you can just cut thru , but Dad says the Dog thats me needs to finish the whole course.  Momma met us near the finish and we pushed it up a bit to finish with a 49min time.  Soaking, and shivering but fun.  

I enclosed a picture to document the event before I got dried off!

Enjoy Love Maggie,

Oh yeah I think Momma PR'ed with a 25:58.... her best 5k before was 26:02 ... I'm so proud of her!....
Attachments area
Tagged:

Comments