Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Continue diet or no?

4 weeks ago I was 267 and only going up. I broke down and bought 4 weeks of menues from Anne Rollins at core diet. She seems to build my menu around my training right down to the hour. I'm now 248. I put on Tri clothes tonight from 1995 and they fit. However, I'm 8 weeks out from IMFL my first Ironman. Should I keep dieting hoping to get to 220 by race time? Or is my restricted diet going to hamper my body's ability to handle the training. I'm sorry if I ask too many questions, but I'm getting a lot of feedback on the other forums that now is not the time to be losing weight.  Super happy but a little confused. 
Tagged:

Comments

• yes
    and call my husband so he can get on this plan!

• Hi David:
    I understand that the core diet is based on eating real whole foods with a balanced set of macro nutrients.  I think the answer to your question depends on your goals.  It is generally real hard to lose weight while training due to the calorie demands of the training when pushing for max watts and speed.  However, if your goal is to simply finish your first IM with a smile on your face, I would suggest continuing with the diet until race week. If you find you are ravenous during those last 4 weeks of intense training or find yourself battling to not give in when Ben & Jerry come calling in the middle of the night, then I'd suggest reaching out to Anne Rollins for a modification of the diet. During race week you may want to increase your carbohydrate intake with a slow bleed of clean burning carbs, like a sweet potato or white rice at dinner, in order to build up glycogen stores. Big picture wise, IMHO, I think you would have a greater chance of finishing with a smile if you were able to drop the weight vs. focusing on fueling for max watts, speed, etc.
  • ''This is my first IM and at 65 probably my last. All I Want to do is beat 16hrs and 59 minutes. I appreciate your input and felt this way myself but every thing I read says you can't diet during training, so I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot.  I think I'll probably increase in a week or two. 
    The diet is pretty darn tight. High carb low protein. About 2oz of meat per meal. No potatoes except sweet and no rice or other grains except oatmeal and quinoa. It hasn't been terrible but after 4 weeks I'd sure like a pizza and a big mac☺️  I can't argue with the results though. 
  • David,
    @Tony Ledden 's  advice is good. Your ROI for loosing another 15 pounds will reward you on race day. Do your best to go into each training session well fueled. If you come off a workout hungry you're going to overeat. Do all the tricks to not overeat, drink noncaloric fluids, lots of veggies and fiber! Controlling blood sugar is a must. Resistant starch from potatoes and pasta that are cooked then cooled can help with satiety.  http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-resistant-starch Instead of high calorie post workout drinks try to time it so your eating lunch or a meal.  Stick to your diet. You'll be rewarded. 

• David - one more thing. If you haven't already you should get some labs done and then repeat them after your IM. It would be interesting to see the changes and use it as motivation to continue this  lifestyle.

In your post (I missed it) you said the diet you're on is high carb low protein? I hope that is a typo. 
  • Nope. Not a typo. Meat runs about 2oz per meal. Lots of chicken and fish. The a drink of whey isolate before bed. Tons of veggies and fruit with a afew nuts and seeds and avocado plus quite a bit of yogurt
  • why should this be your last IM?  now is the best time to start doing IM races! (I'm 64 and plan on doing this till I'm 100!  my goal is to be out there longer than anyone else!)
  • BTW, I'm on high carb diet.  hardly any meat... all veggies and fruit...  no pasta really or bread...  occasional rice and a wrap made from spinach.  healthiest way to keep the cholesterol and blood pressure down.
  • David: I thought that was a typo as well. Not sure how you define high carb / low protein, but it sure seems the macro nutrient profile of your diet is keeping your insulin levels and therefore blood sugar from spiking thereby enhancing fat burning. Would agree with @Sheila Leard about the labs, and would wait a couple weeks after IM.  Would definitely stick with what is working and hopefully the diet and IM launches you onto a path of healthy eating and movement.
  • There really is no definitive definition of a "high carb" diet.  David - if you are eating 6 oz of meat a day, nuts, seeds, yogurt, and a scoop of whey isolate, I would not call that low protein. It doesn't matter, It's working for you. Stay the course.
  • @david Holmes -  I see nothing wrong with continuing to eat clean. They are helping you to restructure your food intake to complement the work you're doing with your training. The net result is some weight loss and at the end of the day every pound counts in an IM. 

My only caveat to you is that you are still fueling properly during your workouts. It's OK if your daily calories are lower as long as your exercise calories are on point. I'm very excited for you because this is a massive change (pun intended!).
  • Thanks Coach P.  Actually she has me eating almost double the calories I, but major change in what's eaten a prescribed by time and around workouts. Had fun putting on my 1995 triathlon speedo this weekend. 
  • @David Holmes” -   Pretty crazy how even more food, the proper interval, can actually be better for you. I’m not sure which is more impressive, being able to wear that speedo or actually still having it! Please do not post a picture to the team of you in that speedo.  :#

Keep up the good work!