Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

George Penn Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I have recently finished my long racing for the year. In fact, I completed the Lake Placid Half Ironman on 9/10 and I am now in a bit of a recovery mode.

I would like to focus now on getting ready for 5k races in the fall, specifically the Turkey trots that take place on Thanksgiving. My goal is to increase my speed in shorter races.  I also hope to add a 1/2 marathon in the spring and The Keys 50k in May.

The following is a list of races that I may take on:  Skyrunning race in July at Whiteface Mountain and Lake Placid Half Ironman

Your Races

• Fall 5ks 
  • Skyrunning Race
  • Placid 70.3

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/22/2017 
  • On 9/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/22/2017
  • On 10/23/2017 Load the Intermediate Run Focus Block to end on 12/3/2017
  • On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/31/2017
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the Intermediate Half Marathon (Balanced) 12 weeks to end on 7/9/2018
  • On 7/10/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 07/23/2018
  • On 5/28/2018 Load the -- EN*Half to end on 9/9/2018
  • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/23/2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/21/2018
  • On 10/22/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/18/2018

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/wsrrwbrgmi 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Patrick,
    Thanks for the work out plan for the next 12 months. EN has done a great job in getting me into shape and focused for each goal. I look forward to the journey.
  • Options
    In the morning, I run on a treadmill and would like to get some inclines. Should I integrate these into my shorter runs on M-F? 
  • Options
    @George Penn -  in general we recommend that you do your runs at 1.5 to 2% incline. If you want to go above that number, that is OK, but we need to do it gradually.

On a macro level, gradually means only doing it twice a week at the store for the first few weeks.. It’s paragraph, gradually means only increase the incline towards the end of each run once your safely warmed up.

My personal coaching Nightmare is that you get on the treadmill and set it at 8% and just start running. 

So think twice a week for four weeks, then you can move it up to maybe three times. After that second month, you can have a dedicated run for incline running.

Sidenote: as you do these “my pillow” runs, it’s important to remember to stretch your hamstrings out. They can get very tight on the treadmill at an incline if you are not careful!
  • Options
    Coach,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I want to provide a little clarification. I have been warming for 10' and then adding hills up to 6% a few intervals over the time on the treadmill. I am not constantly running on an incline.
    Talk to you soon.
  • Options
    @George Penn - ok that’s better...but for the record 6% Grade is LEGIT. :wink:
  • Options
    I am adding a 40 mile bike race on April 28, the Tour de Battenkill. Do I need to change any part of my training plan?
  • Options
    @George Penn  - ToB  is a blast if you haven’t done it before. The LCs and by “you are doing should have you more than prepared for a 40 mile ride with effort. I suggest that you make sure your Saturday ride isn’t a three hour range starting in the next week or so. Even if the first few of those need to just be steady after you finish the main set.

When you hit swim camp, we can keep those rides long on the weekend and in fact, maybe do back to back decent ride days there while you’re on the half marathon plan. Let me know what you think about modifying the rides in the short term we can go from there 
  • Options
    I think it’s a good idea to modify the long ride on the week ends. I believe that these rides are beneficial to my May ultra without putting too much stress on my legs. 
  • Options
     I agree 100%. You might even want to include some standing intervals in a bigger gear. You can start with two minutes at say, 65 rpm’s, followed by four minutes (twice the rest) easy spinning. That’s a nice way to break up the steady part of your rides and sounds different muscle groups. 
  • Options
    Coach - I have been following the plan as provided religiously and can definitely feel the changes. As i am getting ready to switch the plan in the next 2 weeks, I was wondering if this distance and training for a 1/2 marathon will get me through the Keys 50K on May 19.  Should it read marathon plan?
    Talk to you soon.
  • Options
    @George Penn -  my bad. I told him he wanted to transition you over from the half plan to the full marathon plan last week. The reason why I had you in a half plan was because I wanted you to get in some quality medium distance work since you are already so good at the lawn stuff.

So yes, please load the four plan our to end on the 50 K day. If you are intimidated by the long run distance, feel free to split it up on those days (a.m./p.m.) And take the next day off from running.

Check it out and let me know what you think!
  • Options

Thanks for all the help in achieving a PR at the Keys 100 50K!  This has renewed my enthusiasm for running, and as I approach 50 in September, I would like to mark that memorable birthday by getting under the 2-hour mark for a half marathon in.  I have given myself until the end of December to achieve this goal!

I have a trial half marathon planned for August 11 and my best chance to break the 2-hour mark is at the Hudson Mohawk Half on October 7 because it is all down hill.

I know you have taken a lot of time last year to plan a training schedule for a triathlon, and I apologize for making this last minute change.

Could you please adjust my training plan to meet this new goal? Or can I make the change? Thanks again!

Talk to you soon.

• Options
    No IMLP 70.3™ but would rather run now and then half marathon.

The Race: http://www.beastofburden100.com/the-course 

Your Training Log: https://www.strava.com/athletes/6520304/training/log?feature=sidebar-progress-goals-v2

Key Focus Points:
    • How to dial in the nutrition
    • Key run / run sessions
    • How to handle the first four weeks / what are mileage goals? 
    Training: 
    • Load the UltraRun Plan, 50 miler, to end on Sunday, August 5th. 
    • You are 9.5 weeks out right now, but just did an epic run and are recovering, so I am not too worried. 
    • This first weekend has long runs (4h, 3h) but I'd rather you do back to back 90' runs. Flat course, easy pace good fuel. Get back to work and see how it feels. 
    • I would urge you to consider adding an easy bike (one hour?) to Fridays, and to maybe replace the Strides on Wed with more of a bike session (could be zone 4 or zone 3 depending). 
    Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thanks for the updated plan. I'll start the work this weekend. Also, I love the idea of doing my bike on Wednesday and Friday. 
    I'll keep you posted on the progress!
  • Options

Coach, my season has ended. I have completed the following races this year: Tour of the Battenkill (40m), Keys 50K, UA Mountain Run (5K), Hyannis Sprint Tri, Mohawk Hudson River 1/2 Marathon. My "A" race for the year was the 50K and I was able to shave off about an 1.5 hours from last year. All the other races were for fun. 😀

My body and mind seem to be able to handle my professional work load along with my workouts early in the year (spring/early summer), but as the year moves forward I have many commitments and cannot dedicate the time needed for long races in the summer and fall.

I currently do not have any races planned for next year beyond April 2019. I hope to do: Tour of the Battenkill on May 11 (25m), a local 1/2 marathon sometime in April and/or the Zions Trail 1/2 marathon (4/12/19).

What do you suggest for my out season? How should I address racing commitments in the summer and fall?

Thanks for the insight and guidance.

• Options

Congratulations on an outstanding year ahead! That’s a lot of work. I am very impressed with your ability to improve by 1 1/2 hours in your race! I don’t think you need to raise for much in the fall to contain your self your success. Instead, I think the run durability program is a great way for you to stay fit without feeling the undue stress of mileage or time as related to your every day life.

You’ll see in our training plan section I wonder ability program specific for runners and I would use that program now. I would also like to know if you have the option to do some strength training as that’s a great addition to the winter to help you build resiliency you need to be successful for next year. I think the smart play is a good consistent program the keeps you engaged but doesn’t stress you very much. You’ve had a big year and part of what we need to do right now is to help you absorb it.

• Options

Coach,

Thanks!

I uploaded the Run Durability plan (7months out) and I am looking forward to keeping my gains.

Will I switch to the OS?

• Options

Yes, but that’s not until January 7! When you have a chance, please check out Gabe‘s post about cycling in the ultra forum. I would love to hear your input.

• Options

Coach -

Happy New Year!!

Again, thanks for all the help in making last year a success for me.

This year, will be busy for me professionally especially in the summer and fall, so I have decided to do some shorter races throughout the year. As RDs start posting their races, I will up-date my list.

Here are the first few goals:

April 13, 2019 - Helderberg to Hudson Half Marathon (I am still planning on sub 2 hours in 2019 😀)

May 11, 2019 -Tour of the Battenkill - 26 miles bike

July 20 - Whiteface Vertical K run

July 21 - Whiteface Sky Run - approximately 15 miles

August 24 - Under Armour Mountain Series, 10k run

2019 - I hope to log in 1000 miles of running. Trail Runner posted a challenge and I accepted.😀

If I don't get my sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon in April, I plan to look for race in the fall and I will update you.

Talk to you soon!

• Options

If you agree, I think the best option is to plan on your half marathon being that primary target for now. We can have you start with the January out season, which started yesterday!, And then tweak the running a little bit to make sure you are ready. Let me know if you agree with that. We can always modify things for the rest of your year as we go.

• Options

That sounds like a great plan!

• Options

@George Penn You can keep me updated here with regards to your race calendar changes! Great to talk today!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach,

It's been awhile since our phone call and me sending a note about my race schedule. It turns out that work has gotten busy, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to do all the long races I planned. I wish someone could add a few more hours in a day. Lol

I did the 1/2 Marathon in March, which we decided would be just a nice long run considering the February I had. I picked up the pace for the Tour of the Battenkill, and I feel like I crushed it. Now I plan on trying the Whiteface 8k Skyrun on 7/21. Can you adjust or recommend a plan that will allow me to crush a run up and around Whiteface Mountain? Thanks!!

• Options

I hear you I needed the extra time! I am happy to help you out. I will get back to you this week, but right now I hope the recovery is going well.

• Options

George, all of our plans are over in Final Surge now. You can upgrade to Final Surge for an additional $5/month...I say that as I can't really give you a new plan to follow as all the plans in the system you are using Are the older ones. If you want to make that upgrade, just email us here: ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com For our Team Inbox.

In terms of general parameters, durability will be your friend. So that run frequency piece is key...so get that goine...even a mile counts!

Then the next piece is specificity...there is so much snow out there right now that real hiking / climbing isn't an optoin. How do you think you can best prepare?

• Options

Coach,

Nice to hear from you! I think I can best way to prepare is by doing some hill repeats on the treadmill or find a nice hill in the area. I'll have to switch over to the Surge.

My main goal for the year is to run a 2 hour in 1/2 marathon. This is doable but I need to keep running.

• Options

Can you remind me what your last performance was on that one? If you had a race report from it, which I think you do, it will be good to get a link to that as well. I’d like to use your historical performance as a baseline to start planning.

• Options

In the meantime, I have loaded up our 10K intermediate level plan into your Final Surge account. I will be modifying it a little bit more during the day today if you have a chance to drop in some notes for me here in the forum thread that would be helpful.

• Options

Coach,

I just saw it! I’m truly digging the Surge.

On the horizon, I have an 8k Skyrun at Whiteface Mountain on July 21.

On October 13th, I plan on running a 1/2 marathon.

If I find something in between, I’ll keep you posted but it won’t be anything longer 13.1.

Talk to you later.