Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Peter Greagg 2017/18 Season Micro Thread

Hi Coach Patrick

My longer term goal — IM @ Bussleton on 2 December 2018.

This season's goals — two 70.3s @ Huskisson on 18 February 2018, and 70.3 @ Port Macquarie on 6 May 2018.

These two 70.3s are going to be low key affairs, as I put a lot of pressure on myself to perform at Chattanooga, and I would be happy to trade-off some performance at them, if I could start my preparation for IM Bussleton with a higher FTP (see my next point).

My FTP is around 195 watts at the moment, which is as high as it has been since before I was injured. It used to be around 220 watts, and I would like to get back close to that again.

I haven't done an OS for three years due to the injury, and then preparation for the Worlds @ Chattanooga.

When the 70.3 @ Port Macquarie (6 May 2018) is done and dusted, there is about 30 weeks until the IM @ Bussleton (2 December 2018) — after a suitable period of rest, I intend to prepare for the IM — subject to your thoughts.

How best do you think we should proceed?

Btw, I will get back to you with some run-specific thoughts and questions, but most important to me is what we do now.

Cheers
Peter
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    This is on my list to hit next week!
  • Options
    @Peter Greagg - okay, thanks for giving me sometime! Before I commit to a full season, I wanted to clarify some thoughts. So...

• I agree on the OutSeason® after Port Macquarie, and that's a great target to get you healthy and boost the FTP.
    • I want to put you into a Half Plan, but feel like you need recovery post CHOO...how much downtime do you need?
    • We could go Run Durability Program (RDP) now as you transition...stay fit...then into EN*Half plan by 11/20-ish...or we could go a bit more "aggressive" (I prefer the RDP).
    • IF we do RDP, we might be able to do a bit more (on the bike) between the two races...let me know what you are thinking!
    ~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick great thoughts.

I very much want to start a Run Durability Program. Your Thread on starting RD in the fall lead me to review my running since I have been in EN - my best running was in the second half of 2014 and the first half of 2015. I started RD in May 2014 and was running 6 days a week by October 2014, which continued to March 2015. 2014 was the highest run volume year, averaging just over 30 km a week for the whole year. My diary notes from that RDP say that this style of running appeared to really suit me (volume vs intensity) and was quite similar to the training I used to do when I was a stand alone runner following an Arthur Lydiard style training approach (ie lots of TRP volume with a small amount of Zone 4 work) in the 1980s.

In addition to these thoughts, I find the intensity of the running in EN plans a bit much, particularly in the last three weeks of a plan before the taper starts. So, I am very happy with starting RDP now. Also I was thinking that my best running off the bike was during a year where I averaged 30 km a week - which has me thinking about trading off some EN running intensity for more volume @ TRP?

In terms of the bike, I was thinking I might do a couple of sessions a week with a focus on WKO4 ilevels in the 30 sec to 2.5 mins range? With a view to loading 70.3 plan as you suggest in November.

Cheers
    Peter
  • Options
    @Peter Greagg - you rock for (A) having a log and (B) reading it!  I love it. 

• So yes to RDP, no intensity for the FTP day in the first month at least. 
    • No pressure to get to 30k in the first few weeks..I'll take 5 x 2 miles in week 1 even!  :smile:
    • We can replace run intensity with the bike, keep it to two sessions of 45' each (so eventually you can brick off of them or it won't affect your run). Say Wed / Sat for example. 

A progression could be:
    • Wk 1: 10' of work on each day.
    • Wk 2: 12' of work on each day. 
    • Wk 3: 14' of work on each day. 
    • Wk 4: 12' of work on each day. 
    What say you?!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick looks great to me.

B) 
  • Options
    Sounds good...I look forward to hearing from you about the progress!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2017 9:13PM
    @PatrickMcCrann Hi Coach, just an update.

As you suggested, I started running every day, just 3 kms @ TRP. Then every week, added just 2 minutes of running to each day. Last week I did 38 kms. The run streak is longer than 8 weeks now, and I feel very good with my form.

While this was going on, I did 3 bike sessions a week of 30, 30s, comprising 8 intervals @ IF = 1.4 

This isn't quite what you suggested, but I though it was close enough.

I am now completely refreshed, both mentally and physically.
    So thanks for your wise counsel.

Just starting intermediate 70.3 plan.

Despite my last zone 4 interval being in August (OMG!), my FTP is 180 watts, just down 10 watts from when I raced at Chattanooga in September. The 30, 30s appear to have slowed the decline in my FTP.

I will keep you posted.

• Options
    I can’t think of a better return than what you have executed! On the computer screen, it looks like the perfect balance of bike intensity and run discipline. That’s paragraph continue to be cautious as you add intensity to the run, but you are definitely ready for the build. Nicely done!
  • Options

@Peter Greagg I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Standing by to help you on the bike...you let me know what your goals are and we can go from there. I know we are "inverted" with the climate!

~ Coach P

Peter Edward Greagg Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the Other Plan / DIY Training.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Bike

Extra help request: Nothing

• Options

Hey Coach

I had huge knee surgery in May, and at 68 years old, I am taking some time to recover.

Just started some Z2 on the bike, no running or swimming yet.

Just letting you know, I am in a good place despite the recovery challenges I am facing.

Just focusing on rehab, and gentle spin on the bike.

It may take 2-3 more months before I can load up plan.

BTW, Just missed my first race (a duathlon) last week. Very strange times.

I will reach out to you when I can start jogging.

Cheers

Peter

• Options

@Peter Greagg thank you for the update. I hope the surgery went well. I also hope that you have access to good physical therapy. Whatever they are telling you to do, do double the amount of work as it will speed you back up again. Remember, you are an athlete and not their "typical" case. I would also recommend that water therapy is really helpful… That means doing some kind of range of motion stuff in a pool but you can easily get into.

Being weightless allows you to move in ways that you otherwise wouldn't be able to on dry land due to gravity. Please feel free to share out anything that you think that Team could benefit from. If you aren't there already, I recommend checking into our chat application as people are much more responsive there: https://app.genevachat.com/home/96cc4d81-1de0-48c5-b232-d76a1a7b9ab5/room/a3a782ac-1414-4d99-b9c3-8bbc252b56b1

That said I am not sure it works with International numbers just yet, but let me know! 🤞

~ Coach Patrick