Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Derrek's IMLV Race Plan

I've been working on this the past several days and saw many great tips from other recently posted Plans and feedback. 

A couple questions/concerns: I'm hearing the weather will be cooler than expected for the day, any suggestions on wearing a disposable/throw away second layer for the first half of the bike? For the first time I'm using course provided hydration so I have no need to stop at BSN. Should I put something in my bag just so I can stop for a quick break and stretch?

All comments, advice are welcome.  Thanks!

Derrek’s Ironman Louisville Race Plan – 2017

This is my fourth IM, third since following EN training. I’m 51 years, 6’1”, 165 lbs; FTP 250 (last tested August); VDOT 51 (from a HM in March). When I decided to do this race, Coach P recommended I follow the Advanced Minimalist Plan due to the amount of bike volume I had in my legs, which was a huge jump from last year. Contrary to its name, this plan is legit with 3 bike workouts/week (FTP, VO2, long ride) and less overall bike volume than the regular plans. The swims and runs are basically the same just on different days. As a result, I’ve done fewer 5 hr+ rides and ABP rides, but I’m feeling fresher going into this IM compared to last year’s IM race, which I hope will show positive results on race day. 

I did three other triathlons this year. A local Oly in May where I was 2nd AG. In June I did Eagleman 70.3 and the heat and dehydration caused major muscle cramping throughout the run…I finished 17th AG. Then in September, I did a local half iron distance race and was 1st AG.

Thanks to Eagleman, one of the biggest changes I made this year was to my hydration plan and so far it’s working great. (Thanks @Paul Curtin!).

My “process goals” for this race are to bike my “should” bike split and to make darn sure I run the first 6 miles of the marathon at Z1+30”…NO MATTER HOW GOOD I FEEL in the first 6 miles. (I haven’t been disciplined enough to do this for 6 miles yet). My “results goal” is to finish in the top 10% overall. The times stated below are what I expect to do based on my race rehearsals and anything faster is icing. I don’t expect to get a FTP boost or higher running zones on race day. Race day is about execution, being steady and not slowing down. As I always do, I will race to my current potential…it’s me vs. me!

RACE WEEK

Monday – Wednesday: S/B/R workouts per training plan. Final shopping/packing

Thursday

-     6:00 - Depart for Louisville

-     4:00 – Arrive and ride one loop of the bike course

Friday -

-          Run 20’ @ Z1; Breakfast

-          TBD – 30-45’ Swim at YMCA

-          11:00 - Athlete briefing

-          12:00 - Athlete check-in, then Lunch

-          2:00 - EN Coffee

-          4:00 - BTA Meet and Greet

o   5:30 - Depart for Team Dinner

-          Organize Bags; In bed by 10:00

Saturday (Hydrate with NUNN)

o   Sleep in until 8:00

o   9:00 – EN Team Breakfast

o   Final Bike Check (check all bolts, brakes, oil chain); Double check T1 and T2 Bags

o   2:00-3:00 - Bike check in / drop off T1 and T2 Bags; Recon Transition area, swim exit to T1 Bag to changing tent to bike location to bike out/in, T2 Bag, tent to run out

o   4:00pm - Light Dinner

o   Lay out race clothes/morning clothes and decided if I need Special Needs Bags; Charge Garmin 910 and 520; Review race plan

o   9:00pm - Early to bed

Bags:

o   Morning Clothes Bag:  T1 Sleeveless Wetsuit, body glide, goggles (x2), race swim cap, 1-Gel, bottle of water, bottle of water with Skratch Hydration Recovery, 3 powerbar gels/3- 2nd Surge caffeinated gels for bike, spare tire/tube/CO2, 6 salt caps in dispenser for bike, 2 bottles of GE (1 for BTA/1 in throw away bottle), BTA bottle, and small towel.  Electrical Tape, toilet paper, arm warmers, Garmin 520

o   T1 Bag:  Helmet, bike shoes, towel, small Ziploc bag with Advil/Imodium/pepto; if cold temps need options for a disposable, aero second layer/jersey/pullover

o   T2 Bag:  running shoes, socks with Vaseline in toes/rolled, large Ziploc/Go Bag: EN trucker cap, race belt w/ bib and 8 Gels, salt caps, race saver bag

o   Bike Special Needs:  N/A (don’t know what I’d need, maybe a tube/CO2? I’ll have two tubes/CO2 in my saddle bag…should I plan to stop just for a quick break/stretch???)

o   Run Special Needs:  N/A (I’ve never stopped for RSN)

Sunday – RACE DAY!

o   4:00 - Wake up

o   4:15 -  Eat: oatmeal, banana, bread/honey, GE Lime; Prepare 2 bottles with GE (1 to fill BTA and one disposable)

o   Get Dressed:

o   EN Speed Suit; Chamois Cream; HRM (Snug); Timing Chip, pinned; Garmin 910

o   Warm long sleeve shirt and pants; shoes (morning temps, mid 50s)

o   5:00 - Leave for Transition (Opens at 5:15)

o   Set up bike – BTA and 1 bottle of GE, S!Caps dispenser on bike, rolled up arm warmers on aero bars, tape gels to bike (3 powerbar gels/3- 2nd Surge gels), check gearing, check tire pressure/94 psi, check brakes for rubbing

o   Turn on/sync/turn off Garmin 520

o   Body marking

o   No special needs bags??

o   5:45 – Walk to swim start

o   6:15 - Arrive at swim start; start drinking Skratch Hydration Recovery mix; stretch/warm up exercises

o   7:20 - Take 1 Gel with water

Swim: 1:10 – 1:15.  RR Swim was 1:13. ¾ of the swim is down river, wetsuit legal

-          7:30 AG start time; line up with the 1:15 group

-          No pre-swim warm up; therefore, start slow and easy, long strokes, catch up drill, head down, relaxed and find usual breathing rhythm.

o   Know that it takes 600-700 yds to warm-up and get comfortable; then increase cadence, extension, strong pull, count strokes, no gliding, focus on tautness/alignment

T1 (Under 5:30’)

o   Walk 10 steps to get oriented, get to wetsuit strippers, then run to TA and grab bike bag.  No sitting down. Helmet on, shoes in-hand. Find volunteer to put wetsuit in bag. Run with shoes to bike, to mount line.  Once past the mount line, lean bike on fence, step into shoes and mount bike.

Bike (5:45-6:00)

o   Target first 30 minutes as JRA and get HR below 125 bpm and keep NP under 165 (.66 IF)

o   ? Target 180 to 183 watts (.72 - .73 IF) through hour 5 with HR below 135. Since the last 30+ miles are net downhill, hours 5-6 at 180 watts. Keep HR below 143.

o   Auto lap every 4 miles monitoring 3 sec Power, Lap NP, HR, cadence and speed

o   DO NOT go over 187 NP (.75) for any lap

o   Hills: cap power at 115% = 210 watts

o   Nutrition:

o   Drink 3 bottles of GE and one gel in the first hour

o   Then, drink 2 bottles of GE and one gel per hour, drinking every 15 mins (Garmin alarm);

o   Drink water at every other aid station, if warm temps take 1 salt tab every 60’

o   TOTAL PER HOUR: 470 calories; 800 - 1,100 mg sodium

T2 (Under 4:00)

o   Take feet out of shoes in last ½ mile; hand off bike (shoes stay on bike)

o   Helmet off while running to TA; find chair near exit, socks on, shoes on

o   Grab Go Bag containing trucker hat, race belt with 8 Gels, run saver bag (if warm temps)

Run (3:35-3:40)

o   Miles 1-6: Z1+30” (8:45/mile) or HR at mid-130s/avg bike HR

o   RUN SLOWLY!!! Quick, baby steps. Be patient. If warm temps, only watch HR the first 6 miles; otherwise, absolutely must run Z1+30”

o   Take water, gel and GE at first 3 Aid Stations (fuel up while HR is low and feeling good)

o   Miles 6-18: Ease into TRP – Z1 pace

o   keep cadence up, run tall, on toes, focus on form

o   expect each mile to get harder, maintain TRP

o   HR will increase into the low 150s

o   Miles 18 – 26.2: Hang in there! Don’t slow down!

o   Maintain TRP

o   Welcome and embrace the suck, just keep smiling

o   Do not slow down!

o   Time to fish (reel in other runners) and smile to yourself as you pass them

o   Ignore HR

o   Check form: run tall, quick cadence

o   Walk aid stations as needed for 20 – 30 steps

o   Nutrition:

o   At each aid station alternate taking 2 cups of GE or water

o   1 PowerBar Gel at first 3 aid stations, then every 5 miles/40’-45’

o   1 S!Cap per hour starting at 30 minutes (if warm temps or have fear of cramps)

o   If needed drink Coke after mile 18

Smile, thank the volunteers, enjoy the atmosphere and have fun.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks looks solid and I look forward to meeting you. As for the cool start, I am going with throw away tube socks as arm warmers, having throw away gloves on hand (temp dependent), and plastic to shove in my race suit to cover my chest. You could alway opt for a throw away long sleeve shirt, the aero effects would be negligible in the first hour or so since you'll be just getting into your rhythm. See you next week!
  • Options
    @Jeff Kane, great idea on the plastic (or newspaper) in the race suit! I'll have arm warmers and was mainly concerned about my keeping my core body warm. Thanks. See you next week!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks - I do not think long strokes will be good at the start, because you will be against the current.  @Mike Roberts suggested "focus on each hand/arm constantly doing its part to keep the pressure on, foot on the "gas" at all times. Core engaged, shoulders back like Superman pose, almost like you're on a raft, one arm always pulling, zero gliding.  But head down, core very much engaged. The turnover is faster, less rotation. Against a current, it's just plain faster"

I do not mind donating a couple of tubes and C02 cartridges to BSN.  You never know.  Also, I like a pair of socks in RSN.  It looks like it may rain off and on.  If you do not need to stop, I would just keep going.

As far as the cold, I think comfort trumps aero.  Luckily for me, I love the cold!  I think @Jeff Kane has some excellent suggestions.

IMHO, you should are going to do awesome!  We did NOS together, and I've seen you get stronger and faster all year.

See you Friday!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks
    Overall solid plan....you are more than ready!  I would go with throw away socks that you could use as arm warmers if you think temps are going to get warmer.  If you think it's going to be cold throughout you may just want to plan to wear proper arm warmers.  Either way...just make sure you bring all options with you to Lou..you can then adjust on Friday/Saturday.

On special needs....I normally don't put much in it as you will not be able to get them back.  That said, a couple things so you know you have it is worth it.  I have put an extra tube before for peace of mind, along with CO2.  I also put nutrition...ie, one extra cliff bar or whatever you prefer.  Again, I have never used it however like to know that if I get in trouble, I have my own stash there.  

Safe travels and will see you next week.
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan, Thanks for the tips! I just saw Mike's comments. Great guidance. I'll see next week!

@Dawn Cass, I'm going with the old socks arm warmers and a tube/CO2 in BSN.  Thanks!

• Options
    edited October 7, 2017 11:08AM
    You can't call the weather more than 2 days out... don't even think about that.. the good news is the weather report will change multiple times between now and then. 

I've added a light rain jacket to my list. I do have one of those throwaway LG jackets with velcro, but it's not very aero. I am thinking of picking up an on sale rain jacket and marking it with my # on the inside, i have heard of people tossing at aid stations and asking a volunteer to get it back to transition and then finding it in their bag... 

if it's over 50 on the bike (and it should be) the chill will be as you get going in the 1st 10 miles, suck it up, it's ironman.. 

other than that, meticulously thought out plan! look forward to sharing the course with you
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer, Thanks. Looking forward to racing with you.
  • Options
    Derrick, solid, sensible plan which recognizes that, in the end, this is a race. To your questions: "A couple questions/concerns: I'm hearing the weather will be cooler than expected for the day, any suggestions on wearing a disposable/throw away second layer for the first half of the bike? For the first time I'm using course provided hydration so I have no need to stop at BSN. Should I put something in my bag just so I can stop for a quick break and stretch?"

It's hard to imagine it being cold enough @ 8 AM in Louisville mid-Oct (I grew up in Cincinnati) to require any additional clothing. The current Weather Underground forecast is for 63 >> 82, but as Scott notes, that *will* change, and any prediction earlier than 36 hours in advance is not worth looking at. Even at JRA effort in the first 30 minutes of the bike, your mind will be on other things, and you won't notice any discomfort from evaporating the water off your bike clothes, in my experience, if the temp is anywhere north of 50F.

Stopping @ BSN: even there's nothing in the bag, why risk any conflicts with other racers or volunteers (a year ago, Woody Frees ended his IM Maryland getting hit in such a situation. If you want to stop at some point for a brief mental break and physical change (something I've done in most of my IMs), consider hitting a porta potty at the aid station before or after the BSN. Just ride on by far to the left.
  • Options
    Looks great Derrek!  Your training has been strong, the Strava workouts indicate you're definitely ready for this race.

I agree with Brian Hagan on the BSN and RSN additions.  It may rain, so put the socks in a zip-lock baggie
  • Options
    @Al Truscott, Thanks for the suggestion on BSN; that's a great alternative that I'll plan to use.
    @Paul Curtin, Thanks. I'll see you in a couple days!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks   Liked this>>>>  I don’t expect to get a FTP boost or higher running zones on race day. Race day is about execution, being steady and not slowing down. As I always do, I will race to my current potential…it’s me vs. me!   Go get em with Good Skill !