Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Paul Curtin 2017 IMLOU Race Plan

Training Recap

At a macro level, this year’s build for IMLOU is just like last year: CTL peaked at about the same (~114); total weekly training time was roughly the same (~15.6 hours); and average weekly SBR distances are about the same

However, at a micro level there are differences from last year:

• Swimming is just plain easier; form feels better, video analysis and triathlon-swim lessons were huge; had consistent weeks above the “Roberts Line” of 10K yards/week; had 60% more sessions of 3000+ yards than last year
  • Bike power is higher; had 10 rides above 275 TSS; of those, 6 were above 300 TSS; optimized aero position
  • Run is much more durable; consistently banked 30+ miles per week; nothing flashy but incredibly steady; optimized stride rate using power meter

Race Strategy

It's been said that there are three approaches to doing an Ironman: completing, competing, and racing.  Last year I was competing.  This year I’m racing.

I’ll follow the EN approach of course.  But I plan to push it, and will hopefully beat all 5 times from last year (SBR, T1, T2)

I’m going to give it everything on race day and see what’s possible.  I’d like to get a Kona slot.

Race Week:

• Plan the week’s workouts targeting a race-morning TSB of around 30
  • Simplify the diet; cut back caffeine; transition to low-residue diet by Friday
  • Stay hydrated all week; increase sodium levels
  • Register early Thursday, then stay away from IM Village; avoid areas with high-anxiety athletes; don’t go anywhere near the Saturday swim practice
  • Hang with the EN gang; reach consensus on whether it should be IMLOU, IM Lou, IMKY, or IMLV; also determine if it’s pronounced Lou-ee-ville, or Lou-a vul
  • Saturday’s plan: set a new record for fewest steps taken

Swim:

• Get through transition-open and head to swim start by 5:30 or so; the new self-seeding format should make it easier but being there earlier won’t be bad
  • Have the wetsuit on and final prep by 7:10 or so; freezer pack to keep cool as needed; shuffle with the crowd as the line lurches forward
  • Be in the right-side line at the dock, regardless of how short the left-side line gets
  • Jump in and get to the right as soon as possible
  • Don’t be afraid to breast stroke if chilly water causes agita; get settled in and get relaxed
  • Don’t push the first 400 yards, IMLOU’s swim format eliminates the need for that tactic
  • Stay right up the channel; everyone else will go left
  • Channel Mike Roberts in the channel; use a shorter stoke; keep moving forward in a continuous motion
  • Keep head down and hopefully get into a bi-lateral breathing groove
  • Do not sight until close to the turn buoy; use the swimmers on left and boats on right to navigate the channel; it curves gradually to the left
  • Make game-time decision on how to approach turn buoy; totally based on traffic; stay wide if busy
  • Keep right on the downriver portion; navigate using swimmers on left and kayaks on right
  • Pull through the hips; keep the right arm in proper position on the recovery; don’t let the left arm drift across the power line
  • Finish strong: maintain power and stroke rate; pop balloons with each pull; check form and adjust as needed

T1:

• Use wetsuit strippers; sprint to bag pickup area; be careful on the steps down
  • Keep it simple and smooth
  • Sit down to put on socks and shoes; spray sunscreen
  • Stand up to load gel into back pocket; put on helmet
  • Run to bike; turn on Garmin; jog up to bike mount line
  • Find open space on left side to mount bike (right leg swings over bar so must keep eye on others)

Bike:

• Don’t look at Garmin initially; avoid  other riders
  • Don’t watch power in the early miles, there’s too much going on; play defense; start drinking and let heart rate dictate early pace; ignore the numbers that display after lap 1
  • Get into race mode towards the end of River Road; if it’s crowded don’t stress; don’t burn any matches; any congestion will ease once we turn left on Route 42
  • Ride like I know how to ride; channel Coach P
  • Focus on steady power and superb aero position; watch both AP and NP on Garmin; target 210 and 215
  • Contain power on the hills; 240 on modest climbs, 275 on bigger climbs
  • Push downhills at 200; coast when it makes sense
  • Take something at every aid station; expect to take 4 GE and 4 water; 1 gel; 1 blox
  • Expected calories by hour: 400, 480, 450, 400, 300; 60 calories after hour 5 if on pace
  • Assess performance at time checkpoints: mile 55 (just before KY-393 to start 2nd lap); and mile 79.5 (left turn on Route 42); adjust as needed
  • Keep the gas on during the last 30 miles; maintain aero form and consistent power; adjust if HR drifts too high
  • Keep riding until the right turn onto Witherspoon St; loosen shoes and get ready for transition
  • No need to impress the crowd with a flying dismount; play it safe and just step out of shoes at dismount line

T2:

• Take it easy on the long downhill run to the changing tent; no mistakes
  • Keep helmet on until in the tent; use hands to open bag while running in
  • Sit down; dump bag
  • Take off helmet and socks; place on top of bag
  • Put on socks; ensure they’re not bunched
  • Put on shoes; cinch up lace locks to comfortable position
  • Grab go-bag and head out

Run:

• Get through the go-bag items and get into running mode
  • Remember that it’s going to be unusually warm; smart-from-the-start as a mantra
  • Legs will feel like crap the first mile, maybe even the first three miles; no worries, they’ll come around
  • Assess the conditions: if it’s hot let HR be the primary metric to track
  • Check stride rate on Garmin; it will start low but should ramp up to 184 by mile 3
  • Smile a lot
  • Channel Tim Cronk
  • Eat and drink when feeling good; stay in control
  • Do not mess anything up before The Line; nothing matters before that point
  • Make smart choices after mile 6; if feeling good ensure all metrics are in synch (HR, cadence, RPE) before adjusting pace
  • Take it easy at the turn-around; the crowd makes you go faster; keep everything in check
  • Don’t think too much; just let the body do the talking; hopefully it knows what to do
  • Push through the pain; it’s temporary
  • Finish strong and with a smile; accept whatever the day has brought
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited October 9, 2017 5:08AM
    @Paul Curtin

What a great plan!  Really excited to see what you can do. I know you stood on the podium last year, I figured you could ride, then I learned first-hand how strong you are when we rode solo at BRC. Just not many guys who can match that. If the food gets heavy or stomach gets full on the bike, always fall back on the less-is-more approach. You have no chance of bonking. Likewise, if you find that 275w on the hills feels too much, back off to 260 or 250. You have to allow the gut to have some blood to process all those calories. The only people who care about your bike split are the runners who will pass you if you F it up.  It's easy to write "I'm going to bury myself the the last 6 on the run," far more difficult to actually do it. The body has very powerful self-preservation instincts, so purposefully hurting yourself takes serious committment. Hopefully you don't need it, but be fully invested if you do. 

If it's going to be really hot, see if you can get a couple of 20-30 minute sauna sessions before you leave. 10 days is better, but anything will help. I went three times last week - per "Al Truscott" - and the 87F and 75% humidity of HI isn't bothering me. Other than sweating like a fire hose. Let the race come to you, build throughout the day, follow EN guidance, avoid big mistakes and really race when it's time to race. I have high expectations/good feelings about Lou this year. Best of luck. 

MR
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - First off, if you live there, it's "Lou-a-vul"

Now, my response based on your stated commitment to racing:
    • Swim: all of your process points are well-taken. I would add a final suggestion. To me, my attitude about "racing" the swim is a variation on the following dictum, quoted from EN Wiki Master Race Execution Page (Rich Strauss' admonition): "#1 Goal: Swim only fast as your ability to maintain form". I think for those intending to race, they should re-phrase that as "Swim as hard as you can while still maintaining form." All those 10K+ weeks and 3000+ yard sessions have set you up to do just that.
    • Bike: I have nothing to add to your detailed process focus; I would underscore "Keep the gas on during the last 30 miles; maintain aero form and consistent power"
    • Run: "Bike for show, run for dough"; "It's not about who's the fastest, it's about who slows down the least"; "Pay attention to your nutrition and your pace; your time and place will take care of themselves." And to quote you: "Don't think too much; just let the body do the talking; hopefully it knows what to do." Three thoughts to add. First, a variation on the swim dictum: run at an effort level that you know you can hold until the end of the race. Second, that RPE will keep getting harder and harder as the miles clock over, but your history as a runner and your recent training all mean your body can handle it. And third, if you are either watching your competition, or getting updates from the sidelines, there may come a point in the run where you will want or need to dip into the bank account and work harder than you think you should. For me, that has come at spots as varied as miles 2, 6, 8, 20, 22, 23, 24, and 25. 8 of the 9 times I KQ'd, I had to figure out how to pass or stay ahead of someone I was fighting with for the spot. Each time I took a different approach, based on where I was and how the other guy looked. But in all instances, I had to make a decision to work harder than seemed prudent at the time. Dealing with that requires both a willingness to do the work, and an understanding deep within how to not overdo it. Trust your training and your experience to guide you here. But be aware that at this point in the day, you've only got one match left to burn. Use it wisely.

• Options
    @Paul Curtin
    Overall well thought out plan Paul.  I don't think there is much I can add as it looks like and overall solid plan.  Looking forward to meeting next week!

A few questions about your comments on the swim...you mention stay right, although everyone stays left.  Reason?  Similar speaking, staying right on the down river...is that just how you breathe/sight better?  Wonder if there are any lessons I can learn from this if you don't mind me asking!
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin, nothing to add that the WSM's didn't. Your great plan coupled with your consistent strong work will yield you great success! See you in a few days! 
  • Options
    Thanks @Dawn Cass -- staying right up the channel is critical for me to get into a groove; just can't do it in a huge crowd; and every photo I've seen has the majority of swimmers on the left side of the channel.  After the turn, my thought is that staying right would again be less crowded, and perhaps some stronger current than along the left shore

And @Al Truscott and @Mike Roberts -- great input, as always, thank you for the guidance.  And yes, I'm hoping to get an on-course update at the start of run lap 2; that should help tremendously
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin, Well laid out plan. I like how you used details of the course. From reading your plan, I can definitely tell you're ready to "race" IMLou! Your experience on this course with your solid fitness and racing mind-set will put you over your goals.
    Looking forward to sharing the course with you!
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin I do not have anything to add to the plan.  The swim approach to staying right sounds smart.  I saw that out portion yesterday, and was supriosed at how little room there is between the shore and the island.

I am looking forward to seeing you again later today.  We can reach consensus on whether it should be IMLOU, IM Lou, IMKY, or IMLV; also determine if it’s pronounced Lou-ee-ville, or Lou-a vul later today.  See you soon!
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin  I really like where you are at physically and mentally for this race.  Your prep on STRAVA and talking with you has been very impressive.  Remember that when applying Al's notes on the run about not slowing down its going to be all mental, DO NOT allow RPE to fall off no matter what , find that balanced/pace/RPE you can maintain and just do it , that place is a fine line but think of it as your 4hr run threshold (just above that and you will implode and just below that you can go all day)  use your second to last bullet post of pushing through the pain is temporary and just keep moving.... After the event we always look back and say it just wasn't as bad as we thought it was at the time... And as someone just reminded me, dont forget to smile, specially at mile 18... Good Skill :-)
  • Options
    Cant wait to follow along. Congrats on your build. This race will be a reflection of your build - and yours is excellent.

"Don’t watch power in the early mile" on the bike, scares me a little though. At least for me, I tend to ride super hot when not paying attention early on. Even after 4 years of drinking EN kool aid.  Happy I didn't drown I guess. 
  • Options
    great plan.. after BRC was surprised to find out what AG you are in. You have awesome fitness and I am looking forward to sharing the course with you. Seems as we will both need to get into the same mental space. Lots of great advice from some really smart people up there!
    see you tomorrow!
  • Options
    Thanks Tim/Doug/Scott.  Tim - that's a helpful image ... finding that threshold balance point and holding it

Doug - I guess I'll have to peek at it, but getting HR down is the first priority.  Once it's below 135 then ride by power + HR

Scott - thank you sir, and looking forward to racing with you!
  • Options
    Paul - you are in a great place as Tim mentions.   Your performance at 70.3 worlds was a validation of that.   

I really like what @Al Truscott had to say about the importance of flexibility/agility when you are going for a KQ.   Mike Tyson's famous quote "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" holds true here.   You will be punched in the face but you don't know when or how hard.  It's great to have a plan and execute it, but also have a bag of audibles to call if/when that plan goes awry.   You have raced this course and have enough experience to have that 6th sense on what you can/should do.

One other thought....if you have support on the course that could relay position information you may want to seed yourself later in the race where you have less chance of a someone being behind you that you don't know where they stand from a position standpoint (assuming that would be properly motivating).   A later start would also mean a later start (cooler) but you need to make the call one where you want to position yourself. 

Good luck...will be cheering along.  You have the tools to make it to Kona next year and have put in the work....now go claim your prize!
  • Options
    Thanks @Jeremy Behler -- I'm liking the idea of a slightly later seed ... maybe toward the back part of the 1:05 to 1:10 swim group