Home General Training Discussions
Options

What works best to keep goggles from fogging?

Sometimes my goggles fog up in open water, other times they don't.  What's your sure-fire way to keep them from fogging on race day?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I've used Johnson's Baby Shampoo and it works but if a little water leaks in it irritates my eyes. I've been using plain old spit, which works great. I think the key is once you put them over your eyes, don't take them off. The fog is caused from the temperature differences, I think.
  • Options
    Johnson’s Baby Shampoo. I rub the tiniest bit on the inside of the lenses, then give them a quick dip in the water. 
  • Options
    Thanks Alicia and Derrek!  I'll try the shampoo on today's swim
  • Options
    Long time swimmer here.  Spit worked in 1973, still works for me.  One thing I do is buy a new pair of goggles to race in.  Each year, I buy a new pair, race only!!  Take last years race goggles and make them my training goggles.  I find the new ones have an anti fog already on them that wears off after a few swims.  Then its spit.  Also, agree with Derrek that put them on, don't take them off.  If I put them on dry, they tend to stay anti fog longer.  Give it a try.
  • Options
    I agree with the baby shampoo!  I've tried spit; didn't work.  In a pinch a drop of soap from the dispensers in the bathroom work well too. 
  • Options
    The Roka folks say that their anti-fog is activated by water.  They also say don't touch the inside of your goggles.  And of course they say after a season the stuff wears off and you need to buy a new pair.  Luckily we have a great EN discount.
  • Options
    Dave / Edrika / Robert - thank you!  I love the Roka R1 goggles; if it's cloudy I'll use my older pair with baby shampoo; if it's sunny I'll use the new ones that arrived last Saturday
  • Options
    good old toothpaste works!  rince it out before you swim!
  • Options
    So I'm late to this thread but figured I would throw out my two cents. I have been swimming my whole life basically and still do the same things I did when I first started.  I take my googles and dip them in the water where I am going to swim.  I swirl it around and then dump it out.  I put them on and go.  Do they still fog? To an extent.  I don't think there is a true anti fog system unless you are going to drop your body temp to match the water temp (not possible last time I checked).  I figure I don't need to be able to read a seeing eye chart, just be able to pick out buoys, which thankfully, are really big and either red, orange or yellow typically.  Just my two.
  • Options
    I use the old fashioned method... spit in the goggles, spread it around with my fingers, rinse... 
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin I mix J&J Baby Shampoo with water in a spray bottle.
  • Options
    Speaking as one who is hopelessly myopic, I've come to believe vision is highly over-rated in swimming. I say, just tune your inner sense to the earth's magnetic fields, and you'll do just fine. ;)
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan -- that shampoo bottle worked on this morning's swim, thanks!

@Al Truscott -- love it!  A sonar+GPS device that fits under the swim cap could be a cool invention
  • Options
    Agree with baby shampoo. I've tried spit and commercial anti-fog but none have worked as well and baby shampoo. I'll rub it onto the lenses, then a quick dip in the water before putting them on. Don't touch the lenses once rinsed, just put on the goggles and enjoy the swim. I first learned that from a scuba instructor, and now I keep a small bottle of baby shampoo with my goggles at all times.
  • Options
    Good old spit
  • Options
    I have used a product called Sea Quick for a couple years without fail.  Comes in a smaller size which is great to bring along to swim start.
  • Options
    I use a solution called "Saliva de Jason".  However being able to see still doesn't help me swim straight.  I think I need to try Al's method and just stop looking, and let my inner-self take me where it wants to go!