Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Annual Winter 2017-2018 Bike Trainer Recommendations

And just like that, it’s already fall.  The summer season is past us (well, unless you’re in Australia), and it’s time to pick out that trainer for your Outseason.  Sure, the weather in much of the US and Europe right now might feel warm, but that’ll change overnight.

Which means it’s time for the Annual Trainer Recommendations post, courtesy of DC Rainmaker.

Comments

• Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • Options
    My birthday present of a new Elite Direto has arrived.  Now its time to join Zwift and get t he pain cave ready.
  • Options
    @Gary Lewis Please let me know what you think.  Did you pick the Elite over the Wahoo or Tacx for a reason?  Besides price.... I am in the market but I cannot get the Elite from Competitive Cycle or Amazon right now because its on back order. 
  • Options
    @Jonathan Brown  so far I like it.  I have only been on it a couple of times.  I bought it based upon the review by DCRainmaker.  I used his link to Amazon that supports his site because I feel his information is always excellent.  I know he works closely with Clevertraining too.  I have purchased form them before - good company.  You might call them and see when they can get one shipped out. 

It looks like Wahoo is not as cooperative with other companies/apps.  I seriously considered the Tacx, but the accuracy of the Power meter for the same price was the main difference.

It comes with a one year subscription to Elite's site which has videos you can ride along with, which is a nice bonus and one month free to TrainerRoad.  You can also use the Elite app to record ride videos and share them so you can ride the course with the hills.  Now if I can just get someone to record the Lake Placid bike loop, I will be all set.  
  • Options
    Just purchased a "reconditioned" Wahoo Kicker from the wahoo web site (second version with the horizontal handle). It was under $1,000, which made the purchase easier to deal with, especially since I need to swap out the 11 speed cassette and replace with a 10 speed cassette.  Haven't been on it yet since I'm dealing with patella tendon pain and so resting the knees.  Will report back when I start Zwifting. Main reason for purchase is to seamlessly sync with my Elemnt and Better Bike Split.
  • Options
    Ended up with abrasions under arms due to wearing both swim skin and sleeveless wetsuit over sleeved Tri suit. can't do that again. What is the best way to tuck in sleeves of Tri suit? Under sports bra or into waist of Tri suit?
  • Options
    Key to avoid chafing for me is to very liberally apply Glide to pits (like
    applying deodorant) and extend to inside of arms, and down my side.

Haven't tried sleeveless wetsuit with sleeved Tri suit though (assumed
    sleeves would add unacceptable drag), but have used both Skin and Sleeved
    Wetsuit without issue using Glide as above.

Good luck Susan!
  • Options
    I agree with Rory, I use body glide crazy where the sleeveless tri top hits under my arms.  If you have already tried body glide, have you tried anything heavier?  i have tried DZnutz.  and that works also.
  • Options
    I’ll try the glide. I just used A&D cause it’s thick and I hoped a bit antiseptic. I’m going OWS this eve and will try tucking in sleeves. I’ve seen the pro’s J Frodeno coming out of Kona swim pulling up and putting on sleeves after swim in skin suit.
  • Options
    Thank you Rory. I do think I have to get the sleeves tucked in to take advantage of swim skin & reduce drag. It is adding to friction too. I really like the sleeved suit cause it takes pressure off my shoulders (during bike and run) and protects from sun. Can’t afford any kit changes in tent. I have 3 IM DNF’s and I just might be the oldest female contender at TX. I’ll add Glide to regimen. Hope, hope. All the best and thanks again for helping to think this through with me. Susan