Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2017 IM Arizona- Reflect on Camp!

Week 16 Rest/Run Focus/ Swim up a storm!

Hey ya’ll!! How did the weekend go? Let’s get the mojo flowing in here!! WE ARE GETTING CLOSE!!!

1. Mandatory for Camp Week Completers!  If you did a camp of some sort…… You must rest to consolidate the work you have done. If you did NOT complete camp week, you may do the workouts listed beginning on MONDAY.

2. It also is a Run Focus Week! If possible, aim for 6 to 10 miles more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do. BUT this is entirely optional, it simply plays into the coaches separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

This week you will also have a swim race rehearsal.  

Remember:  4400 yard swim - Anything that takes your mind off of your form is counter productive

Your primary pacing tool is counting your strokes allows you to focus on technique and you will be in a pace where you can maintain

Set yourself up for the artificiality of the chaos the swim start will have on race day — rather than warm up (since you most likely won’t have that on race day) dive in and swim faster to replicate how it will be on race day then drop into your race pace- however pay attention that you aren’t dropping into a pace that is slower than your goal race pace

You will never be able to fully replicate the “washing machine effect” like race day but work on your mental focus for that effect. Focus on your legs and try not to kick too much.

Only swim as fast as your ability to maintain form.

Practice siting : 50 meter pool site 2x per 50

25 meter pool site 1x per 25

OWS use judgement  

Only site with your eyes so you don’t drop no chin out of the water

Think at the start of this week.

• What do I need this weekend to get ready. Get your equipment dialed in.

• Remember zones and pacing

• Fueling plan

LETS CRUSH THIS WEEK TEAM!!!Let’s hear you!! How’s everyone doing???

** Alternative **

You COULD just do this--- Train like you Race

Comments

• Options
    Hi team,

Two thirds of camp in the books. Still working through injuries so had to modify the plan.

Saturday started with a 2.4 mile swim in 90 mins followed by an 80 mile ride in 4:20:00 and a 5k run. Today another 80 mile ride in 4:19:00 and another 5k run.

Looking for a 10 mile run tomorrow.

It seems that it will be a slow race for me but I feel confident that I can go all the way. Recovery continues to go slower than expected (Achilles) and still can't ride a tri-bike so it's going to be another race on the road bike which will slow me down but it's easier on the legs.

Looking forward to see you all at IMAZ
  • Options
    camp is in the books. 20 hrs including 12:45 ON THE TRAINER!!!
    I crushed myself on day 1, then just kept grinding as best I could. Today was pretty much a rest day with just an hour easy spin to try and work some of the soreness out of my legs from thursday and friday. Looking forward to a more normal week next week. I feel pretty good about the work I am getting done. I worry about the long injury and work related "off season" that only really gave me 12 or 14 weeks to ramp up for this race. My run time are still 15 or so sec per mile slower than a year ago. Oh well. I knew the this build would be a stepping stone to a better season next year. Gotta keep reminding my self of that.
    Hope everyone rests well.
  • Options
    wow 12:45 on the trainer - impressive.  I thought I was a stud with 615!  Well done.  I did a local 1/2 marathon today - with a neg. split so was very happy.

• Options
    Day  3 of camp is over. Was going for a 10 mile run but had to cut it short to 7 due to cramping and a small pain in the Achilles. Last time I did camp (IMCA) I didn't pay attention to my body and pushed through the training making sure to cover the required distance. As a result I sprained my Achilles, was immobilized in a boot for 40 days and wasn't able to run until race day.

Lesson learned: listen to your body. I will try for a longer distance over the week and see what happens. Worst case it would be a run/walk on race day.
  • Options
    Jorge- smart move. I was out for months over this past winter with an Achilles injury. It has pretty much sank my entire year.

i was supposed to swim today but couldn't make it. Now my brain is telling me that my race a month from now has been compromised.
    yes, I am a crazy person.
  • Options
    @jimmy augustine there has to be some crazy in all of us to go through this punishment with a smile on our faces.

I'm fairly new to all of this but one of the few things I have learned is that missing a session here and there is part of the deal. We are not professional athletes, and the balancing act between work, kids, friends, family and training is not easy. 

At times I think that just showing up to the starting line is a victory in itself. 
  • Options
    I apologize for not posting as I usually print a few weeks of training and don’t check the EN site.

RECAP: I took Friday off and got my 2.4 mile swim in (about 1:20:00) drove home and jumped on my Tacx Neo IMAZ film and did three loops for the 112 miles. If you have never seen it, their course films are pretty cool because it takes place while we are swimming in Tempe Town Lake and so you can actually adjust your hydration with the aid stations and special needs bags when you pedal by. That took 6:10:00, put my Hoka’s on and proceeded to run 50 minutes in 95 degree heat. 

Saturday, the saddle area was a little tender, but did another 112 on the trainer for 6:12:00 and a decent three mile run.

Felt pretty good on Sunday and finished the two hour run with 12.5 miles covered. Treated myself to a nice glass of Scotch that night!

Monday - sore quads, but feel pretty good with my “camp”. My biggest worry is that I’ve never bike trained indoors before and I don’t know how that translates to the “real world”. 

Take care!
  • Options
    Sounds like everyone is getting dinged up.  Don't push it you still have plenty of time to continue to build fitness.  Last year, I had kidney stone surgery twice around this time.  I had to take complete weeks off to recover and still managed to have a good (for me) race.  

@Michael Kichler  I wish I new that Tacx had films to go with thier trainer.  I just bought an Elite Direto and would have gone with the Tacx.  Is it possible to watch the videos stand alone even though it isn't controlling the trainer?

Let me know if you need anything local.  I am going to be the Super Sherpa for the race.  I'm local and here to help.
  • Options
    @Gary Lewis I'm pretty sure you have to actually pedal on the trainer to advance the film, unless you hooked the Tacx to a motorized bike :wink: What part of the Valley to do live in? I'm in Chandler about Ray Rd and east of the 101.
  • Options
    @Michael Kichler I'm in Goodyear at the I-10 and the 303.  I would love to come see the trainer setup.  I just looked on their website and it looks like you can purchase a version that works with any ant+ controllable trainer but I might be misinterpreting that.  I will email them to find out.  It would be awesome for me to practice for IMLP next year. 

@Betsy Kantor and I did some IMAZ practice rides together last year on the Beeline.  I think she will want to do a RR there again.  If you are interested, we can all ride together, with me providing support (I'm out of IM shape).  Let me know if that is something you are interested in.
  • Options
    I don't know about you guys...but today was a struggle bus training day.  I am on the Intermediate plan...yesterday 210 bike intervals - and today 210 @ pretty much the same watts -ABP ride.  It was rough getting my legs to wake up.  lots of reasons - but got it done.  on to the next week.