Home General Training Discussions
Options

Swapping weekend sessions with weekday sessions

Hi all,

I joined back in September and I've been lurking as everyone wraps up 2017 racing. It's been fun to watch and I'm impressed with the community support and camaraderie.

Question

What's the accepted wisdom on swapping weekend workouts with some weekday workouts? 

I'm registered for IM-Texas and will be joining the Oct/Nov OutSeason group. Right now I'm working through the RDP and having fun with it.

I will be hiking around the mountains on most weekends thru November, weather permitting, so I will be getting in some aerobic work on the weekends.  Since I have a flexible work schedule, I feel like I can swap some less critical workouts between the weekdays and weekends.

In my mind, I would keep the existing weekly pattern, but change the "start day" so that the existing Sat/Sun appear mid-week.

For example the standard RDP week is something like this:

Mo:off - Tu:run/track - We:run/trp - Th:run/hills - Fr:swim - Sa:bike/run - Su:run/long

I was thinking just shifting the schedule so the Sat/Sun workouts ended up Wed/Thu. I then swapped run/track and run/hills, since I see the track workouts as more important (and because hiking is more like run/hills).  FWIW, It's likely that my Sunday hikes will be more chill than my Saturday hikes.

Fr:off - Sa: HIKE (or run/hills) - Su: HIKE (run/trp) - Mo:run/track - Tu:swim - We:bike/run - Th:run/long

A secondary question would be what to do about Monday 2x 1mi repeats if I'm too tired from weekend (possible, but not likely). Swap track with Tue/swim? or just cancel? In my mind, either is fine as long as I err on the side of not burning out.

Lastly, it's unclear to me how much different the OutSeason/Run focus will be from RDP, I'm assuming not terribly for the first month.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 17, 2017 8:55PM
    IMO, the OutSeason/Run focus plan's 3 most important wkos are:

1) Long run
    2) 2X1 mile repeat intensity wko
    3) Bike wko

Everything else should be prioritized around that  and managed up or down based on your needs/fatigue level.

The plan suggests proper spacing of those wkos in order to give adequate recovery for maximum effectiveness but it is a guide.  Switching those wkos around can be just as effective and honestly, most of us have to modify the schedule one way or another given our different life schedules.

One thing I do see that you might consider is that, if you move the 2X1 mile repeats to the day before your only quality bike wko, (swap track with Tue/swim) you might compromise the bike wko.   If you are a strong biker and focused primarily on improving run performance this may not be an issue.  If you are fatigued, I would not drop the 2X1s as this is one of the 3 key wkos for the week, instead I would select less important wko(s) to drop.

SS
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, makes good sense to me .... looking forward to see what the OS plan looks like.