HR    PACE
Total  Run                 120   10:23
1st 7 Miles                134     8:38
1st 1/2                       129     9:12
2nd 1/2                      113    11:40

Bike power file - http://tpks.ws/GlNvv
run File - http://tpks.ws/zXSnl

Pre-start & Swim
The new Louisville line up which used to be first come first served was changed to line up in groups by predicted time. I had wanted to be near the front and predicted my swim to be a 1:05. After taking care of bike at transition, I walked to the start, found Dave Tallo, where we sat and chatted. Nerves started getting edgy as we put on wetsuits and they started to organize us to walk down to the docks. I was on the floating dock for the start, not far from the front. By coincidence, my friend Colin Martin’s sister was right in front of me, that helped calm the nerves. 

Gun goes off, line moves up, cross timing wires, start watch, jump in and start swimming. Pretty uneventful swimming up-current on the back side of the island, at least compared to Lake Placid’s fight for the cable. Once you clear the island, you still have a few hundred yards up current and I think it’s pretty clear there is more current here. I am the “weather guy” from my former sailing days and while sharing thoughts on the weather forecast, (very sharp front coming through during the race) I did not share that we would have wind against current (which means more chop) I think people were worried enough about thunderstorm potential. It was choppy and I got a mouthful of water on more than one occasion. During the swim, I continually channeled Mike Robert’s & John Withrow’s advice on my race plan thread. Swim hard with no gliding in the upstream portion and don’t get lazy on the downstream portion, swim hard the whole time, which I can say I did! I came out of the water and across the timing mat and saw a 1:04 on my watch. 1st sigh of relief as I had nailed the swim to the best of my potential. 

Got my wetsuit stripped and took off, (I had a Transition time bet to win against Withrow). Grabbed my bag, ran to the t tent, slowing down to negotiate the entrance on wet grass, dumped bag, called a volunteer to pack my bag, and took off. They changed the transition mount line since the last time I did this race in 2011. Instead of mounting at the bike out arch, they have you jog about 200 yards of concrete walk to the street, make a left turn, & then mount in the street.

Got off uneventfully on the bike and got to work. In a usual IM situation, I would have my target NP (185 in this case) a goal watts to create that NP that’s a lil higher, (190) and goal watts for hills (205) and a hard cap for steep short hills (220). For this race, I decided to load and follow a Best Bike Split power plan. I am not sure it had me riding harder, but I was always often over target… It just felt right. I’d come down a hill, into a climb, look at a target of 210, see 230 on my power meter and feel my RPE as barely pushing on the pedals.. I’d back off as the hill got steeper, and try to moderate the number, but I observed myself continually hitting higher numbers. It became evident as Paul Curtin passed me on mile 57 (just as I was taking a leak) that This was not sustainable. One of these IMs, I am going to have the discipline to truly stick to my numbers for the first 50 miles. Maybe I’ve finally learned my lesson? More on that later..

The only thing of note on this bike was the wind. Aside from the front moving across with a strong gradient between the incoming cold low and outgoing high, was the rain cells along the front. I never really saw anything more than a light drizzle for a few minutes, but as cells would open up, the already crazy winds (15-20 with gusts to 30) would alter direction and intensity. The last turn on the course leads you into a section that is rollers with a net downhill for 30 miles to the finish. This is usually the fastest part of the course where “your bike split is made.” On this day we would have torturous soul bashing headwinds. Staying aero was paramount. The only thing I did realize was that I was doing well because I saw very few people once I broke free of the turn for loop 2. I did well staying on nutrition, having 3 of the 4 gels I took with me, plus 3 mini clif bars and 1 bottle of Gatorade per aid station plus the one I started with for a total of 7.

Arriving back at transition, one dismounts, jogs the 200ish yards to the bike corrals(with bike), hands of bike, runs for bag, etc.. once again, moving purposefully and quickly. Exiting transition and starting the run. I filled my racesaver bag with ice at the first aid station (I needed it) and started to jog off. Legs weren’t feeling great, walked a 100 feet, started jogging. This part of the course weaves around a few downtown blocks which are under construction and with the heavy winds, this was like being in a dust storm. The dust seem to dissipate when one gets on to third street which is the beginning of a roughly 6.5 out and back that we run 2x for the marathon course. The first interesting thing to me was how empty it was. 

I ran the first mile in 8:51, not where I wanted to be, but I did walk a little to get sorted out near the beginning. I knew I wasn’t going to have the run I wanted, but also knew I needed to find a comfortable pace to run at and decided to just trot along and find a comfortable pace without looking at my watch. Mile 2 – 8:10, good start.., as I continued, the pace drifted to the mid 8s, frankly a number that I knew would produce a great result, but not a KQ, and I was fine with that. There are a couple of very slight hills on the course and the first one showed me how trashed my legs were as I walked it and quickly got going. Once making the turn back, the race becomes a blur. Every mile became a process of managing a walk / run pace. The one thought I continually had as I saw some recognizable people including a guy in my AG who befriended me during check in go by, was how important it is to not work so hard on the bike but make it up on the run. All of these folks who I finished well ahead of on the bike were now passing me on the run.

I can go on about how I managed my run walk to the end, and how I only dropped from a peak of 8th place (at the end of the first out of the run, to 22nd in my AG and still finished in the top 10% of my AG, etc. But I will spare you all the details.

In hindsight, I don’t have answers, many questions and noting that for the 2nd year in a row I am having trouble putting together a good run on the heels of an overbiked 2nd IM in a year (IMWI 2016). In the case of 2016, I did do the Leadville 100MTB between LP & WI. The one thing that has been preached to me is that if you want Kona, you make that your priority. Did I not focus on the 2nd IM enough after LP?

• Body comp lost focus and it showed(that alone would not have solved the run  issue, I’d jut not have KQd, but would have had a better run.
  • training was haphazard
  • 2 week recovery from LP
  • 1 week of training rolling into a very fast half marathon and ensuing recovery messing with the next week
  • 1 huge training week at the end of August (18k Swim, 320miles Bike, 50 miles run)
  • 1 big bike week in CO capped off with an all out race performance in an OLY.

I think comparing 2016 with the Leadville interruption and the sporadic interruptions of this August & September, it’s clear why I didn’t have it to close out this race.

I have already gotten a fair amount of people providing me with what I view as consolation with a theme that let’s me know that when pushing the envelope, you take risks and that sometimes the risk is too high. I truly believe I did not execute with discipline on the first bike lap. Pushing the envelope is fine, having a plan of HOW you are doing that would reflect it. Sticking to that plan would reflect discipline.

On the positive note, I started this sport 7 years ago. I lost 2 seasons to what turned out to be a MIS-diagnosis of a pretty harrowing cardiac condition. I lost a season to a herniated disc. I came back and put myself in the front of the pack in every race I am doing. Look at the difference between my IM0-Lou stats ^^up there^^, the difference between IM #2 and #9. Even when I blow up, I am still in the front and there is a consistent theme that has developed and its up to me to get the discipline for the “last mile,” of training, body composition and execution. 

I was fortunate with the group we had as a team in Louisville. Some of whom I’ve met before and some I didn’t. In reflecting on the weekend I spent chatting with other EN members who came alone or with small contingents to Louisville, I’ve found inspiration on many levels. If you don’t connect with team members during the race weekends, you are missing the biggest opportunity to capitalize on the EN experience. We are much more of a team onsite at races (even the non-focus ones) than most local teams are that have their large contingents. Without calling anyone out (at the risk of leaving someone out) thank you all for sharing yourselves with me during this weekend. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    You have come a long way and have high expectations of yourself.  I've no doubt you will figure out the puzzle that is a KQ.  

I personally am amazed at the mental and physical toll I *think* a 2 IM season would take.  I've done IM and Long course worlds in the same year twice and that is why I have never done 2 IM's.  It is a tough prescription for this girl.  I admire that you have done it twice now and probably will again next year!  

Take a beat...absorb the work and process your approach and the day.  I LOVE that despite the day not going to plan, you shared your thoughts on the beauty of the team.  It's all true Jersey, all true! 
  • Options
    Well. "I truly believe I did not execute with discipline on the first bike lap. " To our dogma of Patience and Discipline, I have always added HUMILITY. The willingness to turn the "could" bike effort - which you were clearly doing the first hour or two - in the "should" effort. That is the kernel which results in Discipline, and the discipline enforces Patience.

2 IMs in a year? As one who signed up for 32 IMs between 2000 and 2016, I'll note that I did best when they were end of June (CDA) and mid-Nov (AZ), or nearly 6 months apart. (I've also noted that Boston and Kona are six months apart.)

Listen, my friend, at this point you know you can train yourself into superb bike and run fitness, you have elevated confidence in your ability to keep going when tired (trashed?). You're working on the body comp. You can see the next step, which is perfecting race execution. In the end, you're the only one you have to satisfy. (Certainly, not BBS.)
  • Options
    Well. "I truly believe I did not execute with discipline on the first bike lap. " To our dogma of Patience and Discipline, I have always added HUMILITY. The willingness to turn the "could" bike effort - which you were clearly doing the first hour or two - in the "should" effort. That is the kernel which results in Discipline, and the discipline enforces Patience.

This reminds me of the piece I forgot to add... 
    At LP this year, my numbers were fairly similar, given the spectacular run I had in LP, it's hard to fault the overpowered 3 hours on the bike, though in both cases, the way I felt on the 2nd lap, i know this is THE area I need to work on in executing my next race. It just doesn't answer the question of why i had no legs on the run course. 

Lake Placid 
    Bike power                                    194NP/187AP 1.03 Vi
    1st half power                                202NP/193AP
    2nd half power                               186NP/180AP

Louisville (Copied from above)
    Bike power                                    192NP/186AP 1.03 Vi
    1st half power                                206NP/196AP
    2nd half power                               182NP/176AP

• Options
    Great job, @Scott Dinhofer!! Cant thank you enough for your experience!! Your time will come!!
  • Options
    Scott...neighbor/weather guru/awesome super Sherpa..., it was great to finally meet and race with you. A big thanks for making this feel like an EN Team Race. You were the one spearheading all the team gatherings, which really made this a great race experience. You obviously have a lot of long course experience which you willingly shared with less experience teammates...Thanks! Someone said a great IM race is like solving a puzzle where you have to perfectly place all the pieces. Well, you definitely have all the pieces and I know you'll get them placed perfectly very soon. 
    I'm looking forward to racing with you at IMLP. 
  • Options
    Was nice to finally meet you ! You were a great asset this week end with all the experience sharing you did with us!

Doing 2 races/year is hard on the body and I think that on the 2nd race we focus mainly on what went wrong in the first but we forget to apply what went good in the 1st one so that can create some distortion between the 2 races

Your ultimate goal is really close, I am confident you will get it soon, you know what to do and just need to totally commit to these.

Rest well and see you next year at IMLP !
  • Options
    you know what to do and just need to totally commit to these.

I may print this out and tape it to my bathroom mirror... thanks for bringing it this past weekend on and off the course!
  • Options
    One thing to add to the usual great advice here.   This is one of, if not the most difficult thing to deal with it as it is basically totally out of our control.   Sometimes you just have a bad day.   Look at Frodeno on Saturday.....his bike and swim looked similar to all his other races....but the run just wasn't there.   We see this in training often on those days where our legs feel heavy then the next session we have a breakout.     In training it's not a big deal as you have many other points to validate what you are capable of.    But when you spend months, and thousands of dollars preparing for a singular event and it ends up being an 'off day' you instinctively want to believe it's because of something you did.  

You'll get there my friend.  Patience, discipline, and persistence.
  • Options
    It's hard to keep a passionate animal like a Dinhofer in a box.  I myself am speaking from making the same damn mistake at IMMT on the bike....After 8 IMs I know better than that....

Just know that your learnings posted here help a community of others in a BIG way and extend well beyond yourself.

You know you are a badass when a Sub 11:15 IM is a bad day.......hope that puts in all in perspective.

Followed you on the tracker through every turn.....Congratulations on a strong Bad day Ironman!

SS
  • Options
    It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person Scott. You have the passion and perseverance that will land you a KQ in short order. I look forward to tracking your progress next year. It's within finger's reach and you got this!

Congratulations on #9 and rest well Ironman. 
  • Options

It was a pleasure to meet you and race with you.  You did a fantastic job being the Super Sherpa and creating the opportunities for the team to gather.  I really enjoyed every moment.  I was super amazed that you had taken on the role of Super Sherpa when I heard your goals for this race.  What amazed me even more was the way that you were even able to encourage me while you had your own race to deal with.  As soon as I got back to my room I started checking times for everyone to see how they had done.  When I saw your finish, I knew you had not had the day that you wanted and I was so bummed for you.  It was good seeing you at the ceremonies and even given your rough day you said some things to me at the awards ceremony that really hit home and I really appreciate it.  Scott, you are a great team mate and a terrific person.  I know that you will achieve your goals because I could see the fierce competitive spirit in you after meeting you.  I look forward to watching you take this and use it as a learning experience to build from and continue working toward your ultimate goal.

• Options
    Scott I think you executed the best that you could for what you brought to that day and we cant ask anymore than that.  You should be happy with that outcome which is not what you wanted but damn good.  Of course we can ask what went wrong, and how can I fix it going forward.  In your bullet points below you've already noted , I see a recurring theme in your RR's and season's.

{Did I not focus on the 2nd IM enough after LP?

• Body comp lost focus and it showed(that alone would not have solved the run  issue, I’d jut not have KQd, but would have had a better run.
    • training was haphazard
    • 2 week recovery from LP
    • 1 week of training rolling into a very fast half marathon and ensuing recovery messing with the next week
    • 1 huge training week at the end of August (18k Swim, 320miles Bike, 50 miles run)
    • 1 big bike week in CO capped off with an all out race performance in an OLY.

I think comparing 2016 with the Leadville interruption and the sporadic interruptions of this August & September, it’s clear why I didn’t have it to close out this race.}

You know my thoughts on the above as we have had this discussion before and we have started it again, will continue it privately.... I am one of your biggest cheerleaders and believers... I want to see you succeed in that KQ goal by addressing what you know to be true above.... 

Back to this race and some numbers.

BIKE- While I dont believe you over rode the first half of the bike that much vs. the second half , it was a touch hotter with a bigger spread than you did at IMLP ride... Once we get to a certain point that 5-10 watts above or below really does make a difference.  So there certainly could be part of the picture...

RUN- I did not see any short walk breaks on the run file beginning at mile 1.  Did you incorporate those or just wait till later?

I'd like to see some correlation's of the data... BIKE- Power/HR for the 1st half and Power/HR for the 2nd half.... RUN- Pace/HR for the 1st  half vs. Pace/HR for the 2nd half.

HUGE Congrats on that swim and transitions :-)

• Options
    You have dissected this race like a pro. And the WSMs have added a lot to think about. Here's to a 2018 that provides the answers!

Nice Race!
  • Options
    @tim cronk - updated the original post with HR data for B & R as well as pace data for run.
    the run breaks in the 1st  8 miles were mostly aid stations, but they are visible in the TP file linked above as well. 

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer  Looks like HR on the bike was a bit off at the beginning.  Looking at the graph it looks to drop a touch in the second half.  But even if you remove the low section at the beginning I got 136 avg for the first half and 134 for the second half.  Seems to me the power dropped but the effort did not...No real decoupling... Not sure what your avg HR is on a 5.5hr training ride but again I dont thing you over did that bike "too" much.... TSS was just under 300 and not sure how that compares to normal IM's.... The run was was clear, HR dropped right along with pace... Nothing take away from this... You even started out with the first 7 miles right at the HR you had at the end of your bike...
  • Options
    tim cronk said:
    @Scott Dinhofer  Looks like HR on the bike was a bit off at the beginning.
    Good catch @tim cronk - Early on I looked down at my new Wahoo computer and saw that HR was the same as my cadence. I actually thought that I had cadence in two fields, one is labeled BPM and the other RPM... and the labels are small... I then realized that my HR monitor was around my waist! I had to pull over to rectify, somewhere around mile 10 or so... 

at the end of the day - I think Jeremy's comments resonated the most, just not my day. I think the execution was "fair" on the bike. If one wants to say I allowed myself to push harder, because I was trying to have a big day, I can live with that. If the outcome was a top 10 performance with a great run, even not a KQ, we'd all be saying I pushed the bike appropriately enough to push the envelope... I am looking for a "reason" on why the blow up happened. 

I think the reason lies as I said in our private email, compare the shape of my PMC in the 9 weeks before LP vs the 9 weeks before LV, and there is an answer. Inconsistent training, partially due to stacking events in the calendar.
    The half marathon & OLY would have been fine if they were executed as training events and not races requiring some recovery. The big tri week AND the Al week in CO were probably too much. Had I gone to CO and just executed a "normal" training week, that probably would have been better. I can say that since doing the trail run in Middlebury 2 weeks before the race, my legs never felt right, after that. 

The good news is that I (and anyone else) just needs to compare the #s on the 2011 race vs last weekend's race to see the huge progress one can make(recognize that there were 2 separate year long breaks in that time as well). I also need to reflect on the fact that 4 years ago I was being scheduled to have an cardiac defibrillator implanted & that turned out to be way wrong. I am playing a great game at practically the highest level and have the confidence to try and make the KQ happen.

Now, I need to get that last piece of low hanging fruit - body comp inline and focus on another year of similar training and ensuring no distractions. 

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer Thanks again for taking the lead in keeping us together as a team for the weekend with you super sherpa role.  I know it helped keep me calm and focused, but I also had so much fun.  I learned a lot from you and everyone else this weekend.  I agree with what you wrote at the end of your RR^^, "If you don’t connect with team members during the race weekends, you are missing the biggest opportunity to capitalize on the EN experience. We are much more of a team onsite at races (even the non-focus ones) than most local teams are that have their large contingents."

I am confident that you know what you need to do to KQ, and you certainly have the ability to do it. Like @"Shaughn Simmons" said "You know you are a badass when a Sub 11:15 IM is a bad day".  You have received great advice from everyone above!

I look forward to crossing paths with you again!

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer - I know we are talking soon but wanted to put this out there...

• Looking back at your IMLP report (here for reference)
    • Your bike was identical in terms of Watts and HR, only in #IMLP you were steadier than at IMLou...so less bandwidth to handle "harder" early work in later race of the year...I know what that feels like.  :wink:
    • Your run HR started off the same as well, but quickly faded...
    • From the two points ^above^ that tells me your execution wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either...I think there are two factors here: 
    • First, you just did too much work between the races with the peak volume stuff and Al camp...no need to go that big after an already big year.
    • Second, yo continue to chase a bike split vs riding your split. IMLou was still 294 TSS, which I would only recommend for sub-3 marathoners on the perfect race day to attempt. When you use BBS, you need to set the TSS model version and put that at 260 or 265 and ride THAT time, then run. 
    Big picture wise, you are spot on. You are in a new zip code, but that only means things get harder. Not as in "work a ton harder" but rather "doing the right work at the right time". I think you likely have some valuable lessons on what not to do (bike pacing) and on fatigue (review your CTL numbers, etc) relative to performance. For example, your TSB for placid was good, but for Lou not so much. 

More on the call!!!!

~ Coach P 

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer - You have really done a phenomenal job and grown a lot over the last two years. There is no way to see what you have accomplished other than success... you will get there, no doubt!

Two things to consider:

1. Wind. I've found that windy rides cost me more than the power meter shows. One can spend a lot of energy keeping the bike straight, fighting gusts, just generally not having the relaxed ride that could be had on a typical day. These watts do not show up on the Garmin or the TSS... but they have a big physiological impact. A technical course can also play into stress that doesn't show up on the power meter - WI is one of those courses that costs more than the TSS you see. I haven't done Louisville, but expect it is the same. Even though the watts are about the same, I believe this ride on a completely fresh body would 'cost' you more than your LP ride cost you.

2. Second IM: I've done 3xIM in one calendar year 2x. At one point, I had 4x IM in 365 days + 2 half IMs... I've found that after a race I can bounce back with strength and big power numbers for shorter durations, but the disruption that an IM causes to my training routine impacts my ability to carry intensity at longer durations. In 2015, I raced IMMT, CHOO and IMFL - it felt like my target power needed to drop about 5w for each of those races. probably needed to drop 10w for IMFL (based on performance). I am struggling with the same issue now going from IMMT to Cabo... my FTP is up, but my ability to hold watts over 5hrs is not. 

I think that @Al Truscott is spot on with needing a longer time period between races so that one can have a full training cycle with a high degree of consistency over ≈10wks.
    No matter how you cut it - you are doing a great job!

Congrats!!
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2017 9:36PM
    @Scott DinhoferI really enjoyed meeting you this weekend.  You really did a great job creating opportunities for the team to get together.  Loved your choices too.  Will definitely go back to those places in the future.  Sooooo much great advice ^^up there^^.  I could see the fire in you and I know that as you continue to work that you will have the race that you are looking for.
  • Options
    a little update here.. 

I've been scratching my head on how did I F this race up so badly. 
    the one thing I left off my report was the hip thing that was going on.. I can recall somewhere early on the run, feeling a pain in my hip and consciously saying to myself, "That's not normal & that's not something I've felt before." 

Fast forward six weeks. I recovered, started running, did a bit of biking and was supposed to do the CIM (Sacramento Mary) this coming Sunday. Not happening.

I've had hamstring pain in both legs, that finally dissipated in the left to call it normal, but my right is a mess. Have a combo of hamstring/glute/groin pain, and something going on with my hip. It's always worse when i get up from sitting, it never hurts when i run or bike. I've gone full stop on running, and as of this AM, only doing some Z3 work on Zwift, and no races. 

been to my ART guy, Dr Stu 1x and going back Friday, Seeing an orthopedic on Friday as well. It is very clear to me that I likely did something to my hip prior to KY and that it expressed itself after a hard bike. While I am annoyed & concerned about my hip, it gives me much more confidence in my abilities once I figure this out and get healthy. 

in the meantime I am swimming (in a pool), VASAing when at Jill's, doing weight training 2 or more times a week and focusing on body comp in my weight challenge...