Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Jeff K IMLOU Race Report - 48 minute PR!!!

After joining EN last year post IMLOU, I went into this year excited to see what a year of consistent work could net me. But more important than the race, was the time spent with the EN team over the course of the weekend. To be able to meet new teammates face to face for the first time and share stories and laughs with others made it an awesome time. I now kick myself for not joining sooner!!

Tale of the Tape:

2016                                                                           2017

Swim: 1:07:46                                                                       1:03:06                     

T1:      10:17                                                                          6:12

Bike:    5:55:15                                                                      5:45:02         

T2:      10:30                                                                          6:59

Run:    5:08:32                                                                      4:42:58         

Total:  12:32:20                                                                    11:44:15

48 Minute PR!!!

The Aggregation of Marginal Gains applies!! (Don't know what this is, Google it!!! It makes a difference!!!!)

Swim: 1:03:06

Very uneventful and only had minimal contact 3-4 times. I swam up the ride side of the channel, tight around the turn and downstream continued to stay right. Once I cross under the second bridge, I begin to work my way to the left to hit the swim exit. Hit the wetsuit strippers and I was off to T1. I was extremely pleased by my swim time and I know I can get a 59 handle is in the very near future.

T1:6:12

Unlike my last two IM’s I went into T1 with a plan and moved with purpose. I called my number, grabbed my bag and hit the tent. Dumped my gear, helmet on, waist pack on, socks on, and with shoes in my hand went and grabbed my bike. Since you have to run about 150-200 yards on concrete, I elected to put my shoes on out of the way right before the mount line. I wanted to mitigate slipping and falling or potentially breaking a cleat. There is still time to gain in this area with more focus.

Bike: 5:45:02

The goal for the bike was not do anything crazy or stupid and set myself up for the run. Mounted the bike with no issues and began to get myself situated. The ride out River Road was smooth and I began to get my HR down and keep my power low. Nutritionally, I wanted to consume a Clif bar and two bottles of GE within the first 60 minutes, which I accomplished.  Once out into the hills of the course I was very mindful of my nutrition, power, other riders and open sections of the course where you could get caught by wind gusts. Due to the road being a bit bumpy, I lost a portion of my Aero Fuel Vault off of my Giant Advanced Trinity Pro. I was rolling at about 23 mph at that point and was happy it didn’t end up jamming in my front tire and causing a crash. Part of me wished I grabbed it, but it is a race so..... Once I made the turn onto Ballard School Rd area, I went into the small chain ring given the spikey terrain of that area, I spun it out a few times up and down the hills but never had any issues like many other people did. This is were course recons are so important, over the last two years I have seen over 10 people go down in that section and at least another 15 walking their bikes up the hills. I was looking forward to the last 30 miles with the net negative down hill, but it became tenuous with the gusts (lots of white knuckles and stress). Once back on River Road, it was a bit sheltered and I was able to pick up some speed until the railroad tracks. From the tracks to bike dismount (about 2 miles) the wind gusts were crazy blowing in from left front. I was almost blown over 3 times and was actually leaning into the wind. It was here that I really backed off not wanting to chance the day and slowly brought it in (somewhere around 8-10MPH in this section). Dismounted the bike, shoes off and into T2. Overall, I was happy with the execution of the bike this year and am excited what another year of work will show.

T2: 6:59

With shoes in hand, passed bike off to volunteer and made my way towards my bag and the tent. Once inside, dumped contents and executed my T2 plan and was out the door with my “Go Bag”. There is still some time to be gained here as well.

Run: 4:42:58

Going into this year my focus was on building run durability and consistency. During the year I set PR’s in all my race distances so I knew I was on to something and I finally felt confident going into the run. My goal going into the race was a 4:15-4:20, which I knew could happen if everything went right, but this is an Ironman with crazy weather so it was a bit sketchy. Right away I went to work on getting my HR down to 135bmp and was going to keep it there for the first 6 miles. I went through the first 6 miles hitting the aid stations with a quick break and back at it I decided to keep at 135bmp for the next 6 mile to see how things would transpire as I continued to try and maintain my fueling. At this point in the race my legs began to feel a bit flat and heavy so I maintained 135bmp and took a bit longer walking break at the aid stations for the next 6 miles to bring me to “the line”. At this point, I started to really feel the accumulation of the day and began to suffer a bit (Even with the temps dropping, I misjudged my sweat rate and paid for it). It was here that I began to take into coke, which really helped. I decided to go strictly on Coke and broth to the Red Bull Station around mile 23. I hit the Red Bull for the next two aid stations. Around mile 24, I began to pick up the pace and “finish strong” which I did. During my build up for the race I really worked on last mile, fastest mile (LMFM) concept just for this reason, as this is where a lot of time can be lost. The best part of the run was seeing EN teammates around the course. This is really a game changer as you always get some encouragement from them just when you need it. I still have a lot of work to do on the run, but it will come.

Overall: 11:44:15

I am pleased with the outcome of the race, but especially proud to be part of a great team!! To be a part of all of what was accomplished (Tri Club Win, Paul’s KQ, Sabra's 1st out of the water and some 1st time finishers) this weekend was simply awesome, so thank you all - @Paul Curtin (no words, focus - simply amazing! - TERMINATOR!!), @Brian Smith (keep grinding!), @Bill Eckert (I only think - Brave Heart! beard and persistence!!!, Thank you!!), @Alan Brown (smiling when I needed it, thank you!), @Sabra Gonzalez (Swim Beast and gave me a shot when I needed it on the final miles of the run!! Thank you - a ton of potential!!), @Julian Cass (The Super Sherpa - a great guy, thoroughly enjoyed your company!!), @Dawn Cass(the potential - wow!), @Scott Dinhofer(experience is awesome, your time is near, really!), @Brian Hagan,(like me, we are in the hunt! - just need to pay our dues) @Francis Picard (humor is great, you are so close!), @Derrek Sanks (killer run and his pancakes were late!!!!!! only if they were on time...Stoic beast!!), @Dave Tallo (excellence in execution, a wealth of knowledge - who likes the beers!!) @Brian Harding (keep grinding!!!!!!), @Kellie Moran-Jones (Volunteer Boss and Dinner Champion!!!!  Thank you!!!). 

I am now in recovery mood and will begin a run durability/streak block (Friday)into the OS and look for new challenges in the future. Right now, the “A” race for 2018 is IM Maryland…..part 2 - 48 minute PR – Any takers??

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Wow, just running down each of the times, seeing such improvement at every stage, that must have felt great. 
  • Options
    @Al Truscott, it was a good feeling! However, I know there is some much more on the horizon!! Nothing comes easy and consistency is the name of the game. Wish I would have spent some time with you @BRC on the Mount Mitchell Day!!! 
  • Options
    @Jeff Kane - Congratulations on the huge PR! 48' is not easy, but work works! It was great meeting and getting to know you. Like you said, keep up the consistent work and "it" will come. Looking forward to seeing part 2 next year.
  • Options
    Wow!! Great race Jeff! 48' PR is HUGE. It was great to meet you and your wife and I wish you & yours nothing but the best this upcoming year. IM Maryland next year.... maybe I could start warming the idea of an east coast trip with the family.
  • Options
    Huge results !! and what a progression between the 2 races.. considering the weather we got !

consistency is the key to great results and you've seen proof of it !

Rest well and hope to race again with you ! and carefull not to hit again your head =)
  • Options
    Awesome job on a mentally tougher day than most IMs are. It was great to meet you this weekend and share the course with you. Seeing your strength on the run course helped me soldier on with own dilemma!
  • Options
    An excellent race @Jeff Kane, you executed perfectly!  Great move to keep the HR low past the 6-mile mark, that really enabled your strong finish.  And how awesome that you improved on all 5 split times!  You'll find a lot more speed the next time.

And yeah, there's something special about our EN team.  The camaraderie at Louisville was absolutely splendid.  It was great racing with you
  • Options
    IMLV is a special IM venue for me as it was my first IM and first event with EN.

A 48 minute PR really summarizes the day you had.

Congratulations IM!
  • Options
    Looks like you had a really well executed race.  48' is huge! 

And my guess is you'll be flirting with another 48'+ PR next yr...   I see ~5 mins you'll find in Transitions, ~25' on the flatter bike course with another year of training in your legs, then you run down that 4:20 mary...

Keep it up!
  • Options
    Great report Jeff.  I really enjoyed meeting you and the other EN teammates over the weekend.  I was looking for anyone EN on the run course because it gave me a lift to see them and say hello to them.  Congratulations on your 48' PR and I look forward to watching your progression as you continue your efforts to improve your race.
  • Options
    Savor that one, crushing 2016 numbers all the way down !  Wow congrats!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks @Brian Harding @Scott Dinhofer @Paul Curtin @Shaughn Simmons @John Withrow
    @Bill Eckert @tim cronk - Thanks for the feedback! As I work through my post race recovery I am currently mapping out the rest of the year and the 2018 campaign! Looking at a lot of specific goals and quarterly benchmarks. Details and planning set the conditions for success as well as the Aggregation of Marginal Gains! With the amount of knowledge I have gained from the team, I am looking to 2018 as a breakout year!
  • Options
    @Jeff Kane
    Jeff - Many congrats on a truly outstanding performance.  A PR like that is not easy to come by!  Knowing the conditions we faced on the day as well makes this even more impressive.  It was great to meet last week and hope you are now taking some time to enjoy your success and relax and recover.  Looking forward to hearing what is in store for you next!  Congrats again!
  • Options
    @Jeff Kane Wow!  Congratulations on such a massive PR!  It was awesome meeting you and your wife last weekend!  Yes, we are in the hunt.  We just need to follow the lead of these awesome people! 
  • Options
    Congratulations on a great race and the PR!  Really enjoyed meeting you this past weekend.
  • Options
    The trigger has been pulled!!