Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2018 USAT National Champs - Planning Thread

Posting this up to see who has qualified for and would be interested in doing an EN group for the Short course (OLY & Sprint) National Championships August 11 & 12, 2018 in Cleveland. 
We can discuss the idea of an AirBnB or hotels and see who is in. One thing I learned is that while you still have time to qualify, they do sell out, so if you think there is a good chance you may go, you should register. 

People who have expressed an interest in a Facebook discssion (and I will start a group there as Bruce Thompson, no longer a member, has expressed interest)
@Scott Dinhofer
@Al Truscott
@Laura Becker
@Shaughn Simmons
@Sabra Gonzalez
@Danielle Santucci
@Derrek Sanks

if you are NOT going to do this, let me know and I will remove you from the list, if you want to be added, please post below.
Congrats to all who have qualified. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Scott - I searched on ITU grand finals last night and they are always around mid-Sep.   I've blocked Sep/Oct 2019 on my planning calendar for my 40th reunion at the Air Force Academy ... they won't set the actual date until after the Fall 2019 football schedule is released.  So there's no point for me to race in Cleveland next summer since the only reason for going is to try and qualify for the grand final.  I know I would enjoy racing with the team, but I would rather hold the 2 days off I would need to take and add on to another trip.   Congrats to you and everyone else, and best of luck next summer!
  • Options
    I should be in as I came in 2nd in my AG on 9/24 and still waiting for those results to be posted on the USAT site...
  • Options
    Just noticed that IM 70.3 Steelhead is also August 12.  Dang.
  • Options
    I've qualified and interested.
  • Options
    Qualified, but we're doing Steelhead!
  • Options
    qualified and am booked!   Likely do a June HIM or X-Terra in build up but would be interested in a USAT NATS Mojo group like OS.  After 2x IMs this year is x-train and speed work LOL.  
  • Options
    I noticed that some folks do both the Olympic race on Saturday and the Sprint distance on Sunday.  Anyone planning for both?  I'm leaning towards just the Oly race
  • Options
    I've never done both, only the Oly. My thinking: this is not my primary season focus; I'm not at heart a short-course racer, I have longer fish to fry. And (maybe more important), I want to get home on Sunday, at a leisurely pace, not have to worry about logistics of checking out of lodging, dealing with bike, late flights, etc, all while also racing the same day.

Side note: if you qualify for Team USA on the Standard (Oly) squad, you will usually be asked if you want to also sign up for the Sprint ITU (World) championship as well, at least in the older AG's - usually, theres no need to separately qualify for the Sprint squad.
  • Options
    I'm in for the Olympic.
  • Options
    Awww...ONE day I hope to qualify for some sort of championship!  :'(
  • Options
    Havent seen any action on this thread....
    How is the USAT NATs Training going?
    Do we have a good list?
    Anyone know the area? My wife and I will be there for SUN-not racing and likely in THRS out MON..... so will have some free time to look around. We are both food-wine explorers ;)
    Any thoughts on a meet up area?