Home General Training Discussions
Options

Smart and Dumb Trainers: Updated with INSIDER Wahoo Deal thru NOON 11/20/17

UPDATE -- TOP SECRET INSIDER WAHOO DEAL THRU 11/20/17 ONLY

This is a 2018, 3rd Generation (new) Wahoo Kickr, yes with direct drive and compatible with the "climb" functionality.

The official retail price is $1199 + tax. 

Our insider price is $1050 with free shipping. ....so this deal saves you approximately $150 bucks. 

Not too shabby! Only catch is I need to know in the short term if you are IN so I can figure out how many to have ordered and then invoice you.

Here Are The Steps:

Rule #1 is no talking about the deal. If it goes outside the Team, we will be crushed. NO TALKING!!!

To get in on the deal, please complete this form online with your contact and personal info.

I will submit the number of trainers on Monday.

You will receive payment instructions and will need to pay no later than Friday 11/24/2017.

Your trainer will arrive in the mail in early December. Then you kick A$$ all winter.

Want to Know More about the Kickr?

Read about the Kickr online here

++++++++ Original Post from 10/17/17 ++++++++++

Aloha friends! 

Per OutSeason usual, I'm working on getting us a trainer deal. 

Last two years I just did whatever deals people would give us. But out of curiosity, what do you actually WANT?

Now before you go spouting off WAHOO, know that in all the years they have been around, they have NEVER done a deal outside of their marketing deals. They wouldn't even do one with Velofix or TriSports last year for us. However, I still want to know. 

Tell me your top TWO Dumb trainer options and your top TWO smart trainer options. 

I MAKE NO PROMISES!!! But its helpful for me to have this information. 

Not only what is the best but what would you actually purchase. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I am currently in the market for a smart trainer.  I am looking at a Wahoo and Trax.  So either would be good.  I am looking for something in the mid level price range. 
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2017 8:03PM
    Interesting topic.  The cool thing about Cycle Ops and Tacx is that they have several at different price levels.  Wahoo seems to be the most popular in the EN Zwift group, but I believe the Tacx Neo is the best, (but also most expensive $1600).  Tacx is a Dutch company and may not be the easiest to work with.  Cycleops has their high end "Hammer", but also a great line of dumb trainers.  All that said, If you cannot get Wahoo, I think Cycleops would be the best overall for the team. Great dumb trainers and a great smart trainer.  Plus, I believe they are partnering with Zwift.
  • Options
    Dumb trainer - STAC Zero Base. $350, quietest trainer out there, no tire wear. Smart (resistance-controllable) version coming next year and they say there will be an upgrade path.

Smart trainer - Elite Direto ($899) looks strong based on the DCRainmaker trainer guide.

What I would buy - STAC Zero. Only question is whether to get the dumb version now and upgrade later, or wait until next year when the smart one comes out.
  • Options
    I just went through the process of buying one and bought the Wahoo Kickr.

My choice was between the Kickr and the Tacx Neo. After a lot of research the final decision came to which one accommodated my tri bike (Specialized Transition) and Wahoo was the winner.

The main differences between both are:
    1. Tacx goes up to 2,500 watts and Kickr up to 2,000 - This makes no difference to me since there is no chance in this planet that I can even reach 1,000 watts
    2. Tacx goes up to 22% incline and Kickr up to 20% - There is only one hill close to my home that is above 20% and I freaking hate it so this bears no difference to me
    3. Tacx can simulate terrains like cobbles while Kickr dont - That's a cool feature I have to admit but I can live without
    4. Tacx cost $1,600 while Kickr cost $1,200

Other than that they are very similar. Here is a good article from slowtwitch comparing both.
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Stationary/Tacx_NEO_v_Wahoo_Kickr_6160.html
  • Options
    I am always a little early on purchasing something Mariah is working on.  Last year I bought the Kollector right before she worked her magic.  This year I bought a Elite Direto.  I think the Elite and the Tacx are currently leading the pack in smart trainers that have lots of features and the correct price range for most of us.  They both have cool software that allows you to ride real courses.

Speaking of that, does anyone have a Garmin file or video map of Lake Placid they want to share with me?  I'd like to try them out with the new trainer.  I'm not exactly sure how it works yet.  I bought the trainer so I could ride with all of the cool kids on Zwift.  :)
  • Options
    That Elite Direto looks pretty nice.  They're an Italian company.  Mariah - I'll volunteer to travel to Italy to meet with them in person
  • Options
    I have a history of being extremely hard on trainers.  While I have seen many consistent reviews of the high quality with Tacx, Cycle Ops, and Kicker smart trainers, I have elected to stay with the dumb trainer approach.

I employ and Cycle Ops fluid trainer, dual P1 PT pedals, laptop, usb extension cord and cell phone in my Zwift set up.  The Cycle Ops Fluid is low tech, almost impossible to destroy and effective.  After about 2 years I actually managed to break the fluid trainer and caused it to leak fluid in the back assembly.  Glad I was not replacing a smart trainer.  Saris simply sent me a new fluid trainer at no cost.  The P1 pedals seem to be very durable, accurate and allow me to flip to my other bike easily if I choose to ride outside.  Now I have comparable, consistent Power readings whether outside or inside as I am using the same tool.

SS
  • Options
    Its for that reason ^^^^ that I believe Cycle Ops would be great for the team.  Great service, and a great dumb trainers and the Cycle Ops Hammer has great reviews as a smart trainer.
  • Options
    Since it doesn't sound like Wahoo works with anyone, I would vote to try to get a deal with 1) Tacx - I got my trainer from them directly from Germany MUCH cheaper than I could get in the US, maybe they will give EN a good deal - they have a large number of trainers at different price points; 2) The Elite Direto looks great - its already at a good price and 3) Cycle Ops.  
  • Options
    Well, it looks like I'll have to add Germany to the travel itinerary ... perhaps there are French companies to meet with ... Spain would be okay too ... I'll do whatever it takes for the best discount ... it's what makes EN such a great team  B)
  • Options
    I wonder if Wahoo does bulk order discounts (i.e. for teamEN?).  I know that when I bought mine, granted first edition, my local bike shop did a bulk order for our local tri club at a huge discount but we had to have like 25 people sign up to order.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have ordered one at regular price.  
  • Options
    I am in the market for a smart trainer.  Am leaning towards the Wahoo kickr.  Found out recently from my local Velofix guy that he can get a trainer for me to test ride before I make the purchase decision.  Waiting to see what type deal EN may be able to get on smart trainers before considering following back up with Velofix
  • Options
    For those looking to buy a trainer (or power meter) now, Clever Training has a sale November 9-18 with 20% off most of them. Details here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/trainers-power-meters-fenix5-sale.html
  • Options
    Okay kids, updating you all here. I have worked a top-secret, insider deal on the 2018 Wahoo Kickr...see the first post at the top for details. 

There is a deadline to tell me if you want this deal -- Monday 11/20/2017 at Noon. This way we can place the order and be done with it. Don't delay!!! Details ^above^....
  • Options
    Rule #1 is no talking about the deal. If it goes outside the Team, we will be crushed. NO TALKING!!!
  • Options
    not in the market, but kudos to @Coach Patrick & @Mariah Bridges for pulling this off!
  • Options
    I'm in!  Thanks for setting this deal up!
  • Options
    @patrick brady you are welcome... Gotta make that EN membership pay off!!!  

I know many of you have talked about trainers..here's your chance to step up to a great machine and save money unlike the rest of the world buying the same dang thing.  B)
  • Options
    Thanks Coach Patrick and Mariah. Perfect timing for the OS!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2017 2:21PM

I love my EN and the work Mariah does for us, but its another $100 cheaper at REI.  $959.

Though I went with the Snap for $479.

• Options

I love my EN and the work Mariah does for us, but its another $100 cheaper at REI.  $959.

Brian - is the REI deal for the 2016 or 2018 version?? barely any 2018s out there, I think
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhoefer  It is a 20% off any one item, which applies to the new version with no shipping charges if you pick up in the store near you.  +$45 if you need it shiipped, plus tax.
  • Options

It is the new model.  Once you add tax, depending on your state/local sales tax, its pretty much a wash with the EN price.  My local price with tax came in at about $4 less than the EN price.  So essentially identical.  But like I said above, I went with the Kickr Snap. 

I'd of been happy with the Kickr if I could have gotten one of the 2016 refurb models from Wahoo on the cheap as the Climb isn't of interest to me.  But alas they sold out near instantly.  If they get more in I may grab one and utilize REI's return window on the Snap.

I ride multiple bikes on my trainer and I just think the wheel on will work out better for swapping back and forth, along with throwing my kids bike on there after he trains up a little on the dumb trainer.

• Options
    Damn just bought a Kickr couple weeks ago. But good stuff EN.
  • Options
    Remember my new rule, if you can afford it, every dollar you spend to make your Pain Cave functionally better will pay off in spades down the road.

Example: 
    • Old Skool Tri Guy: Saves to spend extra $400 on carbon vs aluminum aerobars, saving 175g.
    • New Skool Tri Guy: Spends that $400 on a Kickr vs a Snap, and upgrades 2 rides a week across 50 weeks...or 100+ experiences that builds the engine.

@Brian Terwilliger  @Gary Lewis  Where's the wahoo deal at REI? I can't find it...online the kickr there is $1200 and the only sale items for the trainer is on the Kurt Kinetic. Or is this a go into the store only deal, vs the convenience of an EN spreadsheet...giving you more time to train!  :D  

PSA reminder for everyone on the Team if you find an awesome deal I hope you would share it when you see it right here in the Gear Forum (as it saves your team money) vs just after we announce something!
  • Options
    Coach, if you are an REI member- $20 for a lifetime, a few times a year they send you a coupon for 20% off one item.  As a member you also receive a dividend of 1% for every dollar you spend.  So on that trainer, at the end of the year you also get a coupon for another $100.

I don't post this type of thing normally because I feel it negates you guys trying to support us, which I appreciate and take advantage of when possible.  I had already purchased an Elite trainer, because it was cheaper by a few hundred $, and does all of the same stuff.

I will try to post deals as I come across them from now on.

• Options
    And while they say "one item", in reality its one item per transaction.  You could get the Kickr today for 20% and buy another tomorrow for 20% off.  Or a different item.  Some things are excluded, such as GPS watches, their travel vacations, and a few other items.  
  • Options
    @Brian Terwilliger I'm not sure about that.  I think they track it with your membership number.  My son is also a member so we usually just use his number if we need two of something.

They also carry the Tacx Neo if someone wants 20% off of that unit.  Price is $1200 - 20% + tax + $35 shipping if you don't pick it up at a store.
  • Options
    @Gary Lewis @Brian Terwilliger ok,got it on the REai Membership deal. Very cool!