Home General Training Discussions
Options

Vasa Swim Trainer vs Swim Erg

I’m looking at improving my dry land swim training. I currently use swim cords while laying down on a small ottoman. Based on my life I can reasonably make the Monday and Tuesday morning swims. By the time Friday comes I am so far into the sleep deprivation hole that I miss more Friday swims than I’d like. 

Afternoon swims are sketchy as 30% of the time afternoon thundershowers shut down the pool. 

So im thinking to replace some/most of my Friday swims with dry land work.  My choices are 

cords + ottoman (free)
Vasa swim trainer ($1k)
Vasa erg ($2k)

what is the benefit to go from one level to the next?  Other choices I have for the triathlon dollar are bike wheels, stryd, save it for the family. 

My sport goals are to KQ one day (or legacy in) 

My swim is the suck (1:45 IM, 41 HIM PR). Mostly because I just can’t/don’t make it to a pool often enough.  I’m looking for ways to build fitness that fit my life’s realities. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I bought the Vasa erg about a month ago.  LOVE it.  I am a mop/bopper adult swimmer - consistent.  6 IM - swim times are always around 1:31-1:36 except choo (current)  

5+ different coaches and I have come to the conclusion to get better/faster I'd need to spend a shit ton more time in the pool and more core work and ultimately I think I need more strength. I live 45 min from pool and have gone to 3 different masters groups - clearly I am an old dog that likes different tricks. :)  I'd way rather spend time on biking and running then swimming.

Pros- you can jump on any time and get yards in.  No travel time to pool.  I LOVE gadgets. I have figured out how to program my garmin to beep for yards and workouts again - gadget girl.  Patience as it's hard - I am not strong so I am on the lowest setting but I am feeling stronger and I now 'GET' how it's supposed to feel in the pool.  The ERG allows me to have fun and create workouts to switch up the workout - i.e. ladders, 50s 100s or what ever I can think up.  put the music on and GO swim.

Cons - bigger footprint in house - cost.  

So I am 4 weeks out from IMAZ.  I am doing Vasa 3-4 times a week and only going to pool ONE time per week.  The one time I plan on doing 4K yards just to 'see' where I am.  If you want to wait until Nov 19 to make a decision - happy to share more thoughts.

you can check me out on Strava.  Read the other VASA threads too - GREAT information there.  Though for me I think it does actually help my form in the pool.

• Options
    Okay @AnnSloan I’ll be watching. I’m on the fence. It looks like you got the Erg which doesn’t have power … correct?
  • Options
    yes @Sheila Leard it has the power... :)

• Options
    @all - not always easy to find and not shippable, but check out craigslist, etc for used Vasa Ergs. I found one in Denver, again not shippable, but Stephanie Stevens picked it up for $850. I then found one in CT about an hour or so drive from me and got that for $1000. I can tell you the WKOs are hard, but I am looking forward to using it all winter, I have no doubt I'll be getting stronger. 
  • Options
    Is the erg worth the extra $1k over the vasa without power?
  • Options
    Is the erg worth the extra $1k over the vasa without power?
    yes
  • Options
    Question to @Ian Kurth @Coach Patrick @Jenn Edwards
    what type of cadence should one be "swimming" with on the Vasa as compared to swimming?
    I've seen videos where there seem to be those who are using the same cadence as they do in the water; EG: longer, harder pull, and videos where people are clearly going at a higher cadence.. 

Finding this machine incredibly hard on even the easiest setting, but trying to work up to 3000m, finally got to 2000 in sets of 100/150s on Sunday. 3rd "swim" coming up tomorrow AM
  • Options
    Hey Scott -

If there is a "should" cadence I'm not aware of it though I would think closer to real-life would be better.  Maybe even higher so it translates realistically in the water.  Of course, when in doubt prioritize form.  For me that means I'm still on DD3, tops. 

I will say that that VASA does take some working up to for many so don't be discouraged.  MAN O MAN those shoulders burned badly for the first few sessions!  

Hope you're "enjoying" it?   :D
  • Options
    Scott Dinhofer said:
    Question to @Ian Kurth @Coach Patrick @Jenn Edwards
    what type of cadence should one be "swimming" with on the Vasa as compared to swimming?
    I've seen videos where there seem to be those who are using the same cadence as they do in the water; EG: longer, harder pull, and videos where people are clearly going at a higher cadence.. 

Finding this machine incredibly hard on even the easiest setting, but trying to work up to 3000m, finally got to 2000 in sets of 100/150s on Sunday. 3rd "swim" coming up tomorrow AM
    @Scott Dinhofer - I don't know of a "should" cadence.  From my understanding, a sustainable higher cadence is desired especially for OWS.  I have done various workouts specifically trying to increase my cadence.  FWIW I use a metronome when doing these types of sets.  Here is an example:

STROKE RATE

Focus today is sustainable high SPM

3-5 min warm mix pull patterns.

4 rounds of the following
    DD#1
    1 min SPM 50
    15 sec passive rest
    1 min SPM 55
    15 sec passive rest
    1 min SPM 60
    :30 sec passive rest
    30 sec SPM 65
    :30 sec passive rest
    :30 sec SPM 70 OUCH!
    1 min passive rest

• Options
    @AnnSloan
    Still thinking about getting a VASA.
    Are you predicting that your swim at IMAZ will improve with your VASA work or .... the VASA was more of a time saver for swim training and will have a similar IM swim split?

@Ian Kurth
    A local (respected) swim coach said the VASA won't help in timing and rotation. He's not a fan. Do you feel that is a limiter for the VASA? 
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard - the consistent reviews are that the vasa build strength and does not help form (it may even hurt it)
    i have it at my GFs house and can only access it 1-2 days per week. I started "swimming" on it after Louisville and in the first few go arounds I could only do 1500 or so meters in sets of 100s & 150s. I am now doing 3000 meters and mostly as 400s and even did a 4x500; 2x350 on Monday morning. My goal is to get in the water at least one day a week and work on building a better high elbow catch stroke, which I should be able to do now that those muscles are stronger... 
    my $.02 is that if you have to work on form, the Vasa can help you build strength, but you still must do 1-2 sessions per week in the water. 
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard Thanks for asking the question as just did my analysis on my numbers as I did have a bit of a panic this week in doing my 4K rehearsal.  After looking at the numbers I am feeling better as I can see I haven't really dropped that much time on my long swims. ;)  

Looking at my numbers I am guessing I'll be right around where I ALWAYS am in IM swims - i.e. between 1:33 and 1:38 depending on conditions.  

While my initial 'plan' was to swim more times per week on the VASA and do a pool swim each week - I think in my mind I wanted to do the basic to be able to see if I just did a minimum how would that work.  So for me - time saver, but now I have a baseline so will be able to play a bit more in the outseason to see about improving time / strength.

Things that may impact my 'lack' of speed on Race Day:
    1) I did not 'swim' more than two times per week.
    2) I did no interval work on the vasa - really was putting in just the yards and feel.
    3) vasa swim yards are prob a bit high as i took breaks which added a few yards as the wheel continues to spin.
    4) I took a month off from the pool which is a risk as you lose the feel of the 'water'.
    5) still on Damper Door #0 !!  - this is like swimming with current....so lots of 'growth' opportunity here which in turn will most likely help with speed.

The numbers:
    For the month of October/Nov here is my breakdown.
    Arizona  2016:
    Sept: 35,611 yds - 17 swims

Oct/Nov
    29,284 yards - 15 swims.
    RR swim 10/21 - 4200 = 2:20
    RR swim 10/29 - 3400 = 2:11
    ------
    Arizona  2017:
    Sept: 17,389 yds - 8 swims
    of the 8 swims: 
     - VASA - 3,438 - 2 swims

Oct/Nov
    39,213 yards - 17 swims.
    POOL yards = 14,800
    RR swim 10/6 - 4400 = 2:11
    RR swim 10/12 - 4400 = 2:11
    RR swim 11/10 - 4000 = 2:14

VASA - 24,413 - 13 swims

Sunday will be interesting! :)
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard - good question. Vasa does not help with rotation, water feel, kick timing etc. However, that doesn’t mean it is not helpful...  It certainly helps improve swim specific strength and endurance which when applied to water sessions can help make those workouts much more effective. Can it be used to REPLACE water workouts? Yes... I have taken on that experiment  and I am satisfied that I can be fitter (not necessarily faster) in the water in much less training time. However, I think the general consensus is that it is best used to SUPPLEMENT swimming, and the amount of supplementation necessary to drive satisfactory improvements depends on the baseline skill level of swimming. 
  • Options
    @Ian Kurth @AnnSloan @Scott Dinhofer . Thank you for the feedback.

I'm currently being filmed in an Endless Pool. Each week we break down my stroke and this week it  was revealed that  I have poor timing on getting my head down after I take a breath. Therefore, when I try to get a high elbow I'm not squared up to effectively pull with power. This is where a Vasa trainer could really help ... strength! I have the stretch cords for dry land and will continue those to create muscle memory for the high elbow. I just need to get my body in position to do a high elbow. Practicing one arm drill with non-pulling arm at side. Goals!
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard

First time I broke 1:30 - did 1:29. I was efficient on the swim no issues...
    -Yesterday per Garmin swam 4316 - so 2:04. 
    Lake Placid - was a long swim for me and it was 1:31 - per Garmin swam 4613 - 2:02.
    AZ last year - per Garmin - 4,422 2:07 - official:1:33:26
    I felt super strong and never felt like I usually feel - the holy crap am I done yet?  felt really solid.  I am looking forward to playing more and pushing the envelope.

• Options
    @AnnSloan Thanks for the feedback. And Congratulations in your race! I know that feeling of 'am I done yet' ? :)