Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Michelle Swanson Official Coach Thread

edited October 27, 2017 11:23PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes (Intermediate)

Running about 3-4 times per week, Trail and road

Was biking 2-3 times per week but will soon be down to once or no road biking. finished the season with the CRW Cranberry Century Oct 1st

No swimming

Injury to shoulder in  July. Am finally in PT

Playing hockey 1-2 per week. 

Your Races

• 06/03/2018  Rev 3 Quassy 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/23/2017 
  • On 10/23/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/19/2017
  • On 11/20/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/17/2017
  • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 3/19/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/1/2018
  • On 4/2/2018 Load the intermediate EN*Fill plam to end on 07/24/2018
  • On 6/4/2018 Load the -- Post Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/21/2018

Coach Notes

How to Train This (And Every Fall) Inside Endurance NationGroupMe Chat for RDP 

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/vzufas2boo

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Not sure why my (A) race did not show up.
    I am doing  IM Lake Placid  July 2018 

Queasy HIM ,June 
    IMLP,July

You have me doing  Beginer HIM training which is fine. However I have been doing intermediate for the past 3-4 years now.  
    Cheers, 
    Michelle 

• Options
    @Michelle Swanson - Sorry about the survey mixup, I will fix it later today. I’m going to be changing the plans for 2018, so you can choose whichever one you want just have an open mind!
  • Options
    Thanks Coach Patrick!

Question. this/below is for Quassy and L.P., right?
    For post IM  should the date be 8/04/18?
    I'm figuring  it is, but need to verify.

• On 4/2/2018 Load the intermediate EN*Fill plam to end on 07/24/2018
    • On 6/4/2018 Load the -- Post Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/21/2018 
    Is there anyway I can get my past years training posts so I can see what and when I was training?
    If I click on "my session" I only get the servey

Thank you!
    Michelle
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2018 11:09AM
    @Coach Patrick
    I'm doing Quassy on June 3rd as my prep race for IMLP I was wondering how I should approach the Race with training. Should change any of that weeks workouts? Should I take Saturday June2nd off ? What about the Monday after the Race? 
    Thanks, Michelle
  • Options
    @Michelle Swanson - hey hey!!

We have guidance for this in the resources section under the self coaching guide. The general recommendation is that you do your normal training week through Wednesday. We don’t need to do the long run on Thursday as that will happen during the race itself. This gives you a Saturday off so you can eat pancakes and get ready.

Friday is your bike and run day – something the order of 60 minutes with 3 by 5 minutes at race pace  And a 30 minute run off the bike at TRP.

I recommend Thursday is a long swim today. If you have time to get in 3 to 5 mile run with all the packing you need to do, that would be great.

After the race, Monday is off, Tuesday is swim only, Wednesday is bike run but more for time 10 intensity. Thursday we are back to the grind with the schedule long run!!

I hope that helps!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  This is perfect.!  Thank you❣
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    I will be heading back to Lake Placid for my final race rehearsal this coming weekend, July 7/8th, Week 18 of the Full Plan.   The last time I did LP I did a big day training  Full swim distance, full bike distance, and then a 60 min run. Then I was done and ready for Taper. This year's plan gives me the option of doing this big training day but then followed by an ABP ride on Sunday.  
  • Options

@Michelle Swanson - I think there’s some kind of a time machine problem here? The post that you just posted a Nov 30, 2014 Lake Placid happened. When you get a chance, write back to me and let me know what’s really going on!

• Options

New Training plan

Hi Coach Patrick, Gosh it has been a while since I needed to update my training plan! I hope this is where I submit my new season racing info?

• Options

Hi Coach Patrick,

I figured it out and submitted my new reaces in the Planning Your Season - The Endurance Nation Season RoadMap Survey.

I hope you receive it?

Thanks,

Michelle

• Options

I have it! Will get to it this week.

• Options

Great! Thank you 😀

• Options

@Michelle Swanson looks like you clicked "Do Not Process" ...which means it skips me. Dn't do that next time! 🤣

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Okay, so time to look at your year. My apologies for the mixup before sorting this out.

I like how the year lays out w/ running and two HIMs. I think it will be a nice combination for you coming off an IM year.

The challenge Levi's and making sure you're getting one consistency now and volume leader to be able to handle watching want to do in the ultra. According to the regular progress, I have you hit the policies and training plans to get started, But that likely is not sufficient.

What I suggest you do is modify the OS plan where you plan on doing a regular bike Workouts on Tuesday and Thursday but your weekends are specifically running focused. You can do an easy ride is active recovery, perhaps, but most will be some form back-to-back runs. 8 and 8, 10 and 10, 14 and 8, etc. This approach would essentially allow you to get the best of both worlds: bike fitness during the week with some shorter runs that are frequent, and then run endurance on the weekend.

How about you take a minute out what you were thinking for the long runs and I and help adjust accordingly?

Your Races

• 02/02/2019 Ultra Trail Race / Tarc Winter Yeti planing on running 30-40 miles
    • 06/02/2019 IM 70.3 CONNECTICUT (Quassy)
    • 09/08/2019 70.3 Pumpkin man

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/07/2018
    • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 06/02/2019
    • On 6/3/2019 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/28/2019
    • On 7/15/2019 Load the -- EN*Half Run Focused to end on 9/8/2019
    • On 9/9/2019 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/22/2019
    • On 9/23/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/20/2019

Your Notes

N/A

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options
    Hi Coach Patrick
    Sorry about clicking "Do not process" I won't do that again 😂

Thank you for planning my "new" season!
    I like what you recommend for Ultra training. Using my weekends for long
    back to back runs. I have been doing this for the most part. However I
    wasn't on my bike for most of Oct/Nov😯
    But I'm back in the saddle now. Ouch! 😂

I forgot to mention that I did 2 ultra trail races this fall! 30miles at
    Tarc Fall Classic and 45 miles at Ghost Train!

Cheers,
    Michelle
  • Options

I want ultra run pictures please!

• Options

Hi Coach Patrick,

I have a change to my racing schedule. As it turns out Brianna's graduation ceremony is the same day as IM 70.3 CONNECTICUT (Quassy)06/02/2019. I will not be able to participate in this race.

I am currently on a wait list for the Patriot Half for 06/15/19. I will not know if I will be able to race until sometime in May. Once I know if I am or not racing Patriot, I will make a decision about moving forward with a HIM before the end of June or not.

I pushed my HIM training ahead a week to reflect the new race day 06/15/19

On top of the race date issue. I have been having some health issues regarding my White Blood count . I am currently seeing a Hematologist. I am currently in a series of blood test. I have been getting in most of my training with the ability to reach my required zones/ or close to. However I have been struggling since February to keep the days/weeks consistent. I do what my body allows me to. Some days are great, some not so much. However, I have to say switching over to HIM off the OS has been positive. 😃

Thanks,

Michelle

• Options

@Michelle Swanson thank you for the heads up I can’t believe she is graduating! That is so awesome. Thank you for switching the plan to reflect your new races. Sounds like the higher intensity of the out season might’ve been a little bit too much for you. I am OK with you modifying the plan is needed. I think you kind a have two options here. You can either identify the sessions that are causing the issues, and we modify them, or we can just let you roll day to day.

Either way I’d like you to keep the key sessions of your long run, long ride and I want to swim. Outside of that Run frequency matters the most. I hope you can give me an update again soon.

And remember, you can also ask the team for advice as many of them have experience that could be helpful.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2019 12:54PM

@Coach Patrick Thanks for getting back to me. Brianna is so excited to graduate HS and move on to University! Although we are going to miss her terribly! it is the natural course of growing up. As parents we just have to accept it LOL 😉

I have yet to hear back from the Hematologist. I must have him stumped 🤔LOL

I think right now I would like to take the Day by day approach. I am experimenting with taking Amino Acids to help boost my recoveries. I am feeling positive moving forward and just accepting that I need to be respectful of my body and giving it the time required to heal. Not getting sick is the goal.

On a positive note I am very impressed at the strength I have gained over the OS! Although I think the intensity was a bit off the charts 😣 I would try and set myself up for success when training. 😀

Cheers,

Michelle

• Options

@Michelle Swanson thank you for the update. I give you full permission to bug the hematologist as much as needed. It is completely understandable that your health is you’re number one priority. Do not wait for someone else to prioritize it for you!

Once you get more information, feel free to reach out to me. More than happy to talk to you given your long-term commitment to the team! You can schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Wishing us both warmer weather!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Hi Coach Patrick
    I hope you and your family are all well and finding creative ways to get
    through these Covid19 days! I wanted to reach out to you personally to let
    you know that I have decided to change my EN account to Maintenance Mode.
    Heading into 2020 I made the decision to not participate in any
    Triathlons. The reason for this is because I want to put all my energy
    into Ultra Trail Running. However, I keep my EN account "open" as I wanted
    to see what EN was going to come up with in regards to Ultra training.
    Unfortunately, I feel the EN Ultra Running Plans do not meet my needs. I
    am currently using a couple of 100miles training plans which I used as I
    trained for 100 miles last year. And although I was successful in my
    training I gave up my weight training to help deal with the fatigue of
    running. This decision did not show its effects until race day where I
    ended up injured. I spent months in PT building back the strength I had
    lost. I am happy to report that I am back to running without pain since
    February. I have kept my weekly run mileage between 20-30mile and will
    begin 100mile training at the end of April. I Need to incorporate weekly
    strength/weight training as well as some bike rides for cross-training. I
    now find it hard to justify a full EN membership when I am not using any
    plans and as of right now I do not foresee me doing any long-distance
    triathlons such as 70.3 or IM in the future. Of course, this could change
    so I thought it would be prudent to put my account on Maintenance vs
    cancelling it. You and EN have been the source of my Triathlon success and
    there have been many. I consistently became stronger, smarter and
    ultimately faster with my IM quests year after year. I brought to the team
    many friends that signed up as members from the New England area and from
    the other Tri teams I am members of. I will continue to promote EN as the
    best tool in training for long-distance triathlon.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I am so grateful to you and the EN
    community for the many years of coaching and all that I have learned from
    the EN community!

Take care!
    XOXO
    Michelle
  • Options

@Michelle Swanson -- Thank you so much for reaching out and giving us some clarity on what it is you're looking for. I know that we re did our ultra training plans in December of last year to include different ability levels as well as one that was balanced, including cycling and running (hopefully you saw them?). This of course includes guidance from your teammates who regularly run ultra races as found on our ultrarunning page.

While our ultrarunning programs do not have strength training specifically, this is something that can easily be added. I understand that our plans don't work for everyone, but I do believe that these ultra training plans are some of the best ones available on the market given that they were created by your teammates who have done close to 100 of these events themselves. Heck, we even have learning events recorded on Ultra training, and a member Seminar this Wednesday night at 9pm led by our own Tim Cronk.

I would challenge you to find that level of support out there.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I support your decision 100% but I want to be clear that EN is absolutely committed to Ultrarunning and have some incredible resources and plans.

Best of luck to you,

~ Coach P