Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Bike intensity in a HIM Aquabike

I'm racing an aquabike this Saturday, 1.2 mi swim and a 58 mile bike.  I'm working on the assumption that, since I don't have to run 90+ minutes afterwards, I should be biking harder than the official HIM guidance.  My question is in what way should I be doing it.  Seems like there's a couple of ways to approach it

1. Pick the highest number on the mean max chart for the expected duration, bump it up a touch, and hold steady for the entire length
  2. Start at the high end of the HIM recommendation, and take it up according to feel
  3. Bike at 85%, with strategic surges at FTP predetermined, followed by a drive to the line.

I'd been considering #2, which would mean (for my 245 FTP) going roughly

210w miles 0-15

215w miles 16-30

220w miles 31-45

225w to the end

any thoughts appreciated!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    I would definitely start easy for the first 15-20 minutes, but then I would do the mean max thing (what is that for you?). Anything north of .87 is legit, coach p buying you beers type stuff (not to influence you in any way)!!! image
  • Options
    I kind of did you option 2 last year for a HIM distance AB. First 30 minutes at my HIM target watts (or gear 2) and then just tried to crush the rest, which in reality was only about 5-10 watts higher than the HIM target, but it sure felt tough. Worked out pretty well and got me a huge bike split PR.
  • Options

You don't have to run, I say hammer away.

We want to know how may people you pass in the last hour. image

• Options

Dude....  these are fun.  I would do something in the neighborhood of what Coach P said and start out with a warm up of at or a little under HIM intensity then get serious to hurting yourself at .87 to .90 or whatever you feel you can.  CRUSH IT !!!  there is no running to worry about. 

Good luck man and remember have fun with it!!

• Options
    P, my mean max chart is a bit whack, partly as a result of the inconsistent training over the last month. The 2:30 max for the group ride on the Mooseman course was about 210, which is probably a slight overstatement. For the last 30 days, it's down around 192, but I've cut some of the intensity out of a few rides so that's probably an understatement. So, mean max for a 2:30 ride given the style of training rides is probably about 200-205. I'm feeling like I can probably beat 210 in a straight TT effort, but not sure if I can hit 220.

I'll plan to start around 200-205 for 15 minutes, and then get to work. My goal is to drive it up to FTP for the final 20 minutes.

Thanks for all the fun wishes. This race is all about having fun. I'll definitely put together a race report afterwards.

Mike
  • Options

Mike,

It's a two loop course, right?  Let it rip and negative split that sucker!  Good luck.

Dave

• Options
    Yup, two loops, flat and fast. Last year, i averaged 21mph at around 180 watts. I also had no disc at that time. This is going to be fun!
  • Options
    FTP that right into T2 and ride your bike right over the finishline poppin' a wheelie! image Have fun!
  • Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 18 Jun 2010 02:53 PM

FTP that right into T2 and ride your bike right over the finishline poppin' a wheelie! Have fun!

Someone I know tried that once about a month ago, and what did he pop?

Rip it up Mike

• Options
    @ Steve...ouch. image

@ Mike...how'd it go???
  • Options
    So, I was going to write up a full race report, but clearly that isn't happening in a timely manner. Result was below my expectations from a week prior. However, i feel like I made the best I could have given the day.

Pre-race: Thursday night, I got three hours of sleep, due to some family circumstances (everything is fine, but didn't seem it at the time). Friday night, i got just over 4 hours of sleep, due to lack of planning on my part, and the need for an early rise to get to the race. I also managed to be ill-prepared to eat when i woke up, ended up eating a PB&J on English muffin, only about 220 calories (way less than the 600+ I target for race morning). Bottom line, i showed up to the race sleep-deprived and low on nutrition. Of course, i didn't think much of it, and assumed that everything else would proceed according to plan.

Race: the swim went well (until i saw the final time, 39:39 for "1.2"). As it turns out, that time was top 1/3 of the field, which never happens for me, so the swim drills clearly have been paying off. Got on the bike, targeting just under 200 watts (~81%) for the first 20 minutes or so, which i held. Plan was to take it up from there. Unfortunately, reality started to kick in around that time, and i couldn't kick it up, so i tried to hold on as long as possible. That didn't work out so well, either. By the end of the first loop, i knew I didn't have it that day. Decided to press on (having paid for the race and all), and did manage to push somewhere near .85 for the last 6 miles or so, with a colleague breathing down my neck. At the end of it all, I beat my boss by 18 seconds, after getting out of the water with a 4 minute lead. So, it was worth itimage.

IF on the bike was .77

Lesson learned: when life gives you lemons, you've gotta adjust your expectations (and FTP) down! And don't forget to eat enough!

Mike