Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Al Truscott Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

Update: End of Short Course Season, Start of final 10 weeks before IM AZ

Review of Summer Races: Three Sprints, three Olys. I won my AG in all with no real local competition. Takeaways - my biking remains very strong, compared not only to my AG competition, but also overall. E.g, most recent race was 15 miles, @ 0.96 IF over 45 minutes (1,000 elev gain). I was 19/230 OA, and 10th on the bike leg... the 28 y/o who was OA fastest, also fastest on the bike was 26% faster OA than me, but only 13% on the bike. Similar story at all the races. My swimming is worst of the three legs compared to overall field, but still faster than *most* of my AG. My run in the races was successful - cadence good @ 93, able to increase both my HR and my pace through to the end, and no knee pains while running or after. I still am apparently unwilling to open up the throttle all the way - like, I can't see myself doing a real road 5K anytime soon. But I think if I can continue to build my durability with longer runs, I will be able to handle the IM distance at a pace about 25% slower than I'm doing for the 10K Olympic: 10:2X compared to 8:1X. My Long Run paces are in the 9-9:20 range after a 1 mile warm-up; other runs can be 8:30-9, again minus the warm-up.

Upcoming Training Block (4 weeks): I've always viewed this as my final chance to "train to train". I'll be in Colorado for three of the four weeks. I think I should add a day a week swimming, to 3, and build to 45/60/90 for those sessions. It'll be a big change, as almost all of my swimming the past two months has been open water. At altitude, there is little chance or benefit in trying to work on speed, so It's just about getting the meters in to complete an IM swim in about 1:18. On the bike, I'll focus on getting in three rides of 4:30-5, with three 3-hr ABP rides, maybe twice doing doing hill intervals in the neighborhood, and several local mountain bike rides for a fun break.. Running I've learned not to make firm plans, although I do intend to do each of the long run days as planned for weeks 12-15. I've been able to handle 25-28 miles per week the past month, 5 runs a week, and would like to see that continue. Strides 2 days a week. While I have been using the races as my "speed" work, I don't know what I'll be able to manage at altitude.

Performance Management Chart: At the end of my camp in June, my CTL was @ 120. Here's the chart from the start of my Zwift build for Mallorca, March 15, through tomorrow:

The spike near the middle is the end of the CO camp. I took it easy for a week, then intended to start building again. But by the end of June, I'd developed some crippling irritation which I learned was from a bladder stone. I stopped swimming and running once that was diagnosed. I had it removed on July 23rd, and it took a week before I was able to run and swim again - explaining the fall-off down to the trough which ends on July 27. Since then, I've had steady success following the IM plan, modified by putting all intervals/speed work into one day a week, a race. I made it back up to a CTL of 122 a few days ago. I've been alternating between about 1050 and 870 CTL each week during that time. If I keep up that pace, I should arrive at 140 TSS/day by the end of October.

I could view this as being "5 weeks behind the curve", imagining what the graph would look like if I the last five weeks were folded over to follow @ the end of June. But I think your observation that the down time was probably good for me holds true. I've enjoyed the shorter races, and have yet to encounter any deep fatigue from training, all while keeping my weight stable (my usual problem is getting too lean before an IM).

• Options

Thank you so much for the update. It’s been fun following your progress this summer. I agree that the fact you can hold high and performances in a shorter distance is an good sign that the fatigue is low despite your current training load. Of course, at some point that will catch up with you but perhaps your plan to be a little more judicious at altitude will offset that. I’m not worried if the fatigue comes but it will just be another challenge to deal with.

I think the hardest part of your program will be that increase in swimming and doing it at altitude. I’m not sold on a 90 minute swim out of the gate. I might recommend doing two weeks of that cumulative amount of swim time put in for swims before you make the combination/leap into three swims with that longer session.

Out of curiosity, wondering why you haven’t considered a vasa at altitude? I think you might be able to get more work done on it if you are actually in the water and i’dimagine the strength benefits for muscle mass would also be good. Plus not having to rotate your head as much. I know there’s a period of acclamation to water for sure but it might be an interesting experiment for you. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I love seeing the split runs rolling in and your consistency there. As you know, your bike split plus a run that doesn’t slow down is the secret weapon. To that end, while you should keep up the strides for fast twitch stuff, I would like you to make sure you focus on that last 15 minutes of those long runs even if it’s just on making your form the best it can be.

no comments on the bike because you’re crushing it. I think the only other piece on my mind is perhaps the need for a rest break after this next five weeks black. Think of it as a midpoint three day recharge. Before you get into camp week and the final push. Just given how well we seen your progress, I can’t help but think that will be a beneficial addition to the plan. What do you think?

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for the insights.

Swimming - I appreciate the cautionary note, and will aim for 2.5-3 hours total per week while I am here in three sessions of 45-60 minutes. There's plenty of time to get a few long swims in when I get back. As ups probably remember, swimming was my first competitive sport, age 11-21 on AG, HS, and college teams (I was not very good, but got a lot of miles on my growing body and brain). And that's one reason why I probably won't ever get a Vasa. The other, more important, is that my wife and I go to the pool and swim together at least twice a week, so it's our thing, and I don't see giving that up. The pools here are in rec centers that also have good weight rooms, so I won't lose that swim.

Rest - Driving to CO gives me an automatic rest day, so I'm feeling good swimming and running today, looking forward to 12 hours of biking over the next three days. In the past I've usually gone a little extra while here, maybe 1300 CTL/week. But we have a few friends coming while we're here, so that should keep me in check, tog the 1000 or so I think I need. Then driving back home, I'll get another break, and be careful hoping back in.

• Options

I appreciate that perspective. I remember now you’re back around and I am 100% fine with you executing the swim like that. If it ain’t broke…

I think having friends come will be great for you with the overall training load. I’m OK with one or two bigger weeks, it’s just making sure that you have the commence her arrest that matters most. You got this!

• Options

OK, a month to go before IM Arizona. I just read your Kona report, and glommed onto this: "Think Outside the Box with Your Final Build -- Training plans are great tools, but ultimately they are just one way to make it to the starting line. If you have the experience and courage, there's nothing wrong with doing the "best possible" work for you vs just what's generally accepted."

I guess that's what I have been doing the past four weeks. Each of the three disciplines has followed a different path...

Swim: I haven't felt that doing "speed/hard" work was helping me as much as working on long, steady. I've been doing weekly 70' sessions of about 3600 yds (4-700 intervals) and one 85' of 700-1200 intervals. Interval times are constant, but I feel stronger and less fatigued as the weeks have gone by. Plan: keep this up another three weeks.

Bike: I have felt that a weekly hour+ Zwift race @ about 0.96IF has served me very well. My long rides have been weekly, 4 x 5 hrs, and 1 x 6 hrs. An additional 2-3 hour ABP ride. This sounds a lot like the Standard Plan.

Run: It's here I've made the biggest audibles. I have now done a half marathon race every weekend for the past three weeks. They have gotten progressively faster, and shown me I am building a fair reserve as I have been able to finish each of them stronger and faster. They were all FLAT - along river paved trails. SInce I HATE doing long runs, getting amongst other competitors really worked to goose me effort. These have been my long runs, about 14 miles in two hours including a warm-up 15-5 minutes prior to the gun. I really can;t do very much in the way of fast intervals. 800 meters x 6 (1-2' recovery) in 7:40, compared to finishing HM miles @ 8:12. 1-2 days with 4 strides @ the end of a 30-35' run. Total weekly miles last six weeks: 24/18/25/23/20/30. Seems a bit short on volume to me, but I am titrating it based on how my knee/right femur feels. I want to keep the muscle and knee joint fluid and strong, but not feel any sharp pains biking or running.

Next three weeks: continue the swimming 2-3 times a week (sometimes I add a 45' social session with my wife, getting in 2200 yds of progressive work in intervals of 600/500/400/300/200/100). Biking/running:

• This week, I will travel to San Diego to see my sister and do the Gran Fondo there which is a climb of Mt Palomar (7700' in 65 miles - I can add more miles mid-ride if it looks like it's needed to get to 6 hours). I'll try a Zwift race Wednesday, and a shakedown bike path ride Saturday afternoon in SD, 3 hours or so. Running: week off from the half marathon grind, instead do a 5K in San Diego Saturday AM, along with a few runs along the coast of 3-4 miles.

• Back home on Tuesday. Continue the swimming routine. Another Zwift 1 hr+ race @ FTP effort. If weather allows, might get another 5 hour bike done, otherwise, trainer time meaning 2 x Zwift's Four Horsemen @ HIM effort. Another half marathon race on Sunday.

• Pen-ultimate week: This is where I really go off the reservation. Mon-Wed, swim twice, and see what the weather allows for running and biking. Then, Thurs-Sat, travel to Miami for the MiamiMan Half Iron, to qualify for the 2019 ITU LC WC. All I have to do is finish the race to punch my ticket, but I intend to swim and bike strong, and run the 13 miles @ IM effort/pace, while WALKING all of every aid station.

• Final week: Hay's in the barn. Mon-Wed - Get in the pool, get in some trainer work, run a couple of 3 milers. Travel Thurs, race on Sunday. I've been to AZ 2008/9/10/11/13/14, so I think I know the course fairly well, and I have never had a bad race there. My race plan is yet to be written, but I am thinking about it with a positive outlook.

• Options

You are the person who gave me the courage to do what I wrote about, and it’s great to see you leading by example here again. I think your progression is perfect. As you know Race day is 80% mental and despite what your buddy says, you are full strength in that department. I like the idea of Miami man has a testing ground for how the run feels after a quality swim bike sessions. I think you’ll quickly find yourself “at home“ with what’s normal for you even if you haven’t raced long course in a while.

As usual, my concern for experienced asses like us is missing some small detail that we are used to solving when we race frequently. So when you get around to it, please drop me a line to your race plan. Also, have a blast this weekend in the grand Fondo I expect to see some pictures!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I'm refreshed after an idle week following Miami/AZ double. My race report is here:

and my 2018 season summary is here:

You can see a brief outline of my 2019 season plan in the sig line below.

My current thinking, which I'd like your thoughts on, for training through June is pretty simple. This week, follow week 2 of post IM transition. Next two weeks, off skiing in CO (great snow there already!), trying to run 2-3 miles daily if I can. I will not be skiing as hard or long as I have been the past 50 years, as I don't think my right knee osteoarthritis can handle it anymore. When I get back, it will be Dec 18 or so, and my thought is to fire up the half-iron plan to end May 4th, the date of the ITU long course champs in Spain. Remember, that's 3K/120K/30K

Several things about that. First off, I did pretty much the same thing this year, using 18-19 weeks of the IM plan instead of doing Get Faster, or a run or bike focus. No matter what plan I do, I of course will be modifying it, and I would rather have a progression working on longer than shorter for the endpoint. I foresee modifications to include: skiing Feb 3-22 again, with maybe just some running and possibly swimming during that time; daily 30 minute runs at least through January, with one hour max one day a week. After I return, stick with the daily runs, and build 10 minutes a week to a 2:45-ish run by first week of April (with at least one half marathon in March). I don't remember what the half-Iron plan has for bike frequency, but I foresee two hard Zwift sessions of 60-80' a week, race or workout, and a 2.5 hour weekend ride ABP, plus another weekly ride (probably the other weekend day of 60-90' @ IM pace. I followed the half IM plan in 2017 for the last time I did this race, and the swimming worked great - I need weekly one-hour swims to handle the distance, and then the interval work to build strength.

The one thing I need to nail down is: how do I modify the half IM long rides to get ready for 120 instead of 90K?

Then, after Spain, a week of transition, back to frequent running, and off to CO for three weeks. It will be a five week turn-around to get ready for IM Boulder which as you remember comes on the Sunday at the end of my camp. No need to for deep detail yet, but those 4-5 weeks will need some careful planning, I'd think. All the campers (save Paul Curtain) are returnees, and I'm sure they can do the work they need/want, and manage themselves pretty well, while I taper/peak.

If I don't KQ in Boulder, then I guess it's back to the drawing board for another attempt in July/Aug. Otherwise, I'm planning on the USAT Nat'l Champs for Olympic distance in Cleveland Aug 11 (to qualify for the worlds in Edmonton 2020), a return to CO the last three weeks of Sept, then on to Hawaii Oct 12 and IM AZ SIX weeks later. That's another story to plan that second season out, but let's get through the first half first, right?

• Options

@Coach Patrick Bumping, no reply last week...

• Options

@Al Truscott - I got the message..sorry...the bigger the message, the longer it takes for me to set aside the 30 minutes to do it right. Don't want to short change you, and since nothing was urgent, I've been marinating on it.

Outline

• Recover, ski, chill through 12/18/2019
    • HIM plan, tweaked, to May 4th, the date of the ITU long course champs in Spain. (3K/120K/30K)
    • NOTE -- skiing Feb 3-22 With some shorter runs, one weekly Hour Run
    • Rest week.
    • Five weeks to Boulder, including Al Camp.
    • USAT Nat'l Champs for Olympic distance in Cleveland Aug 11 (to qualify for the worlds in Edmonton 2020)
    • Return to CO the last three weeks of Sept (Kona Camp?).
    • Then on to Hawaii Oct 12
    • IM AZ SIX weeks later.

Questions

• I like the HIM plan as the focus, especially with the swim. But I have questions for you regarding the race itself. Specifically...(1) Bike Course Terrain (2) Run Course Terrain (3) Projected Race Temps
    • What, if anything, would you change about your build up to ITU based off of your lessons learned from last year?
    • I know you love to ski...are there any other winter Cross training stuff you like to do that would complement your aerobic fitness?

Recommendations

• Yes to the recovery period now...staying active and having fun with your fitness after a solid year is important (as you know). I'd like you to keep up the longer weekend ride as best you can on Zwift (fun!) and any other rides you want (bonus time now)...but maybe we dial in a basic weekly run Target for you?
    • We should plan for some bike volume before May, simply as part of the build to that race and into Boulder. Somewhere in late Feb / Early March would be a nice time for a big week of cycling (yes, Zwift).
    • I see the build going to ITU as quality, but post ITU we'll do a few individually longer rides, IM specific, to dial in that mindset and getting accustomed to that fatigue. You could even use part of the camp time to do some "motor pacing work" behind the crazy folks.
  • Options

Thanks for taking the time to give my upcoming year (specifically the first half of it) some thought. Responding to questions:

• Weather: avg is 65/51, meaning it will either be low 70s and sunny, with cool morning, or cloudy and high 50s. So a non-issue IMO. The latitude is just a touch farther than than Providence, RI (to give you a reference), so it's not even close to being a high tropical sun.

• Course terrain. Swim is in an estuary with presumably a bit of current. Bike is 113 km/ 3 loops of 37.5 km (so like an IM except KM instead of Miles). There are FIVE climbs in the loop - 15 total - about 7.7 km/5 miles of climbing each lap @ 4-7%. The map is pretty sketchy, and I can't translate it into a decent elevation profile. But it ain't flat! Run is FOUR loops of 7.5 km, with a small/short climb @ km 6, otherwise flat along the river.

• What did I learn from the build -up to the 2017 championships? Great question...First off, I think working 45-50' swims hard 2x a week, plus a 60-70' swim weekly at race pace worked great. I hit my mark of an hour spot-on with that approach.

• The biking was pre-zwift, but it consisted of a strong bike camp to kick off the final ten weeks of training, and then weekly 4+ hour rides in the mountains (2-2.5 up at a steady HIM pace). That gave me a very strong reserve to use on a final 5' climb, and going into the (HOT) run. I need to figure out how to replicate that during Feb-April. I'm planning on a Tucson bike camp early April with Tim C, basically a camp type long weekend. Early March, I'm sure I could throw down a week full of various Zwift efforts, probably something like I did in preparation both for Mallorca, and then Colorado this past Spring.

• In the final ten weeks, I averaged 5.5 runs, 4.1 hours, 27.5 miles, 2 8:53 min/mile, with 2 half marathons + 1 mi as my longest runs. Looking back, I think that was insufficient. I'd like to hit 6+ runs a week and go for 30-35 miles, with one 18 mile/2:45 run.

• Winter cross-training for aerobic fitness? More of the same, which is a daily dose of 30-45' of stretching and lower-body shock cord work, 3 x a week weight lifting, swimming with my wife, and Zwifting, along with the run durability program I'm tweaking. Truth be told, I do not believe that aerobic fitness is my limiter...my resting HR is 38-40, and it's been that way all my adult life, thanks to being on swim teams age 11-20. My bigger need is to build and then maintain muscular strength, in both large and small muscle groups.

• I am currently in week 5/20 of the HIM plan. I'm hitting all the work, and feeling confident I can build up in Jan/Feb to take advantage of a strong final 6-8 weeks in March/April. I am running EVERY DAY: doing the five days as listed in the HIM plan (not yet up to the 1.5 hr long run), and adding a 2 mile run the other two days. In addition, I have 2 x 25' weight sessions, 4 bikes, and 3 swims (starting this week), which means I'll have 2-a-days every day, and 3-a-day twice a week. After 20 years in this game, I'm positive I can manage rest very well via subjective signs and PMC (ramp + TSB).

• I'm not going to think about building for Boulder until May 5. Don't want to let that thought get in the way of a proper build and race-day @ the ITU, e.g, "Well, I won't do that 'cause I wanna save something for the IM on June 10. "

Key Questions:

1. Best time for a Zwift-Based Big Bike Week sometime on or after Feb 25? I'm also planning a 4-day camp in Tucson with Tim C; what would be the best timing for that with the race on May 4th?
    2. Maximum length run? My preference is to do 2-3 1/2 marathons mid-March-Early April, with at least two adding 5 miles/45 minutes as a second run in the afternoon.
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Thank you so much for somebody races. I know you have most of your training dialed in, so the route rather than getting too granular with you I'll just give you my input on your overall year. Since you have i'll plan already locked in, as well as volume opportunities at your disposal, I think your best path forward is to make sure that you are ready to really perform well on the bike.

You already have altitude in your back pocket, and you're confident on swift and your local roads.The course in Spain looks pretty legit in terms of total game and will require significant strength if you want to be competitive. To be more specific, strength and the ability to recover from using the strength before using it again. Oh, and then running. 🤣

At the end of the day, I'm not very concerned about your run. If you run steady, you will be a threat to those in your age Group. It's more a function of where can we put you at the end of the bike that matters most. I think it's a balance between do with some volume interspersed as well. If you can speak a little bit of that side I'd appreciate it.

I really feel like the run frequency piece is key for you Let's keep that rolling as your progress so far is epic. That weekly goal should be sufficient with a decent long run. Since you asked about, Think the recipe for the long run is to only have a few that are in the 13 mile range. I would prefer that most are split runs as 1:15 hour in the morning and 1:15 in the evening. That combined time would ideally get you closer to the 15 or 16 low range but without the cost associated with balance of a run. This can be done every 10 to 14 days (for now). Something in the 70 to 90 minute range, even if that's split In the first few weeks.

What has been your formula for success with regards to building your threshold power? I ask as that the lever we want to be pulling right now before we get over to doing more volume. Especially, as you mentioned above, focusing on Spain is critical.

You also asked me about inserting time for volume. I think Aiden four weeks out respectively would be best. This means first week of each month: The weeks of March 4 and April 1 are what I'm thinking. I'm assuming the camp with Tim would involve more time in all the disciplines where is it really can't be motorcycling focused, and I believe that's appropriate. Given those injections of volume, you don't have to ride super-long otherwise, I think the cruise and crush rides are perfect and I'd rather you focus on biding them at a higher intensity than simply riding longer.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

Your Races

• Other 05/04/2019 ITU Long Course World Championship Pontevedra Spain
    • 06/09/2019 Ironman Boulder
    • Ironman World Championship (2019-10-12) #IMKona_19
    • 11/24/2019 Ironman Arizona

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

AH, listened to most recent Coach Podcast, reminded me to do a Sunday Review

February, 1st three weeks were skiing. I always have great ambition to "run a little", but the combo of persistent snowfall and resultant tired legs once again foiled that. Also, I still haven't ever used the TACX smart trainer I have at the CO house. But most important, I ran into a couple of trees two and three weeks in, meeting one with my left knee, and the other with my right shoulder and right thigh. Also hit my head with zero ill effects thanks to my new helmet and face mask.

I'm now two weeks into ramping back up. First week was a heavy emphasis on cycling (as you had suggested, I threw in a Big Bike Week late Feb/Early March): 13.5 hrs, 240 miles, @ 0.75 IF OA avg, all on Zwift; 6 runs, 15 miles; 3 swims, 5000 yds. This past week, I increased the swim and run loads (5700 yds, 21.2 mi), dropped back to 9 hours cycling.

Here's where I'm currently at, ability-wise. It is probably a combo of the lay-off and the tree encounters, but both my swimming and running are hampered. Not with pain or bad form, but simply slower, and lack of any ability to go over Z2 effort. On top of that, compared to a similar point last fall prepping for A race, I am 1min& 20 sec/mile slower at my long runs, and 1.5 min/mile slower at swimming.

Cycling, however, is a bright spot. My FTP is nearly unchanged from last year, and the ski lay-off did not affect my endurance at all. I am back to following the HIM plan, in week 13 now, except I am topping up the Saturday long rides to reflect the 12 additional miles I will be going @ ITU in May. I am attempting to triangulate my targets for that ride to the same distance, time and KJ I hit during the previous ITU race in '17): 3:53, 74.5 mi, 2050 KJ; I've hit those targets the past two weeks.

My CTL today is 113, TSB neg 44, 1085 TSS for the week, and a Ramp of 9. That, plus a poor swim performance this morning, led me to drop a planned five mile run this afternoon and take a full 24 + hours until tomorrow's Max Effort bike ride.

You had suggested topping up the long runs in the plan to 1:15/1:15; last week, I hit 1:15/:40, albeit at 10:30 min/mile, compared to the 9:10-20 I was doing last fall at this time. I'm very interested in seeing how that plays out this week and next as I increase the afternoon session, whether, I can drop that to sub-10 and further in the next month.

Swimming, since I can't go fast yet, I have simply been doing long intervals, and once a week, seeing how far I can in a given time. 55' this past week, a hour this coming, up to a goal of 1:15 by the end of the month.

So, hopefully the next three weeks will start to fill my confidence meter for swimming and running. From March 26-Apr 1, I'll be down in Tucson with Tim C & Heather, for a Camp Week-end thing. Coming out of that, by my birthday on April 9, I should know much better where I stand for the May 4th race.

Vis-a-vis confidence...my son will be traveling with me to Spain, which helps in several ways. Obviously, it's great to have a familiar face around, But more important, through his connections, he has access to the same ticket deals airline employees get, so we will be traveling business class to Paris or Amsterdam, at minimal cost. It's the sleep, more than the $, that I'm looking forward to.

• Options

Thanks for the update. I’m pleased to hear about the cycling, I believe that is the main driver of your total fitness. I think that running in swimming or complementary to what you are building on the bike. The challenge is finding the means to which you can transfer that fitness To the other two sports. My basic perspective is that it takes time to move down the chain to the secondary and tertiary activities. I wouldn’t be concerned about her per se as you are definitely on the right path. If anything, I think consistency is the key fo to the other two sports. My basic perspective is that it takes time to move down the chain to the secondary and tertiary activities. I wouldn’t be concerned about her per se as you are definitely on the right path.

If I had a map it out it would be like Fitness first, followed by the swim improvements and finally the run. I wouldn’t expect a run to really “come around” until later in the season because you are increasing volume as your fitness is developing. I think those camps will really help you out, let me know if you want some input on those!

• Options

@Coach Patrick OK, I guess I thought I could race in Spain, then five weeks later in Boulder without your help, but clearly I was wrong.

So I'm going back to Kona, and the first order of business is a season training plan. Note I am signed up for AZ 7 weeks later, but I want to make Hawaii the target race, and the decision of whether and how to prep fo AZ should wait until the third week of Oct.

This week: transition/rest; next week, Hoff camp Vt, still just doing recovery mode.

Also, I am racing the USAT standard (Oly) nat'l champs Aug 11 so I can do the ITU WC in Edmonton 2020. N Aug, it's simply a matter of showing up and doing my thing, as top 15 go to the World's. Only a 4-5 day hole in training, IMO. Then train in CO Sep 8-29 or so.

My initial thought is fire up the IM plan to start first week of July, and finish on Oct 12, but I'm ready to consider your lead.

Also, I will be seeing a PT specialist who is a doctor of PT with special training/interest in rehabbing muscles weakened due to damaged joints. FYI my left/right pedal balance is about 56/44, showing how much weaker the damaged knee has made my quads on that side.

I'm ready to dedicate 3.5 months to the project of honoring the Hawaii course better than I did in Boulder, more like what I did in Spain, but with a bit more staying power.

(Truth be told, I do not think I was able to adequately pull off that double May 4/June 9 of two major very long distance races. Simply not enough volume time available in the three week interim between rest after the first and rest/taper before the second; I only had 14 miles in my legs. I did manage to run about half the distance after that - more complete analysis to come later this week shen I write full race report.)

• Options

I am on this stay tuned!!

• Options

@Al Truscott here Is my initial attempt at putting in some structure...please add in your points and we'll turn it over!

Notes: 

• Need to recover from the first half of the year.
    • Need to address L/R leg imbalance / functional strength.
    • Need to build up endurance for third time this season (!!)

Defined Recovered:

• Reduced knee swelling
    • Reduced / non-existent knee pain
    • Normal sleep patterns in place
    • 14 workouts in 14 days (no doubles) at aerobic pace to get loose and facilitate recovery. 
    • Target recovery end date JUNE 30th

Break Up the Year, Set Intermediate Goals

• July 1 to July 21: Initiation
      • Define weekly strength program, implement 3x a week.
      • Space out runs
      • Begin bike build to some intensity Mid July; long rides are ok
    • July 22 to August 11: USAT NAT CHAMPS
      • Peak Week, then Taper Week.
    • August 12 to Sept 8: Transition to Volume
      • Swim + Bike Week to Kick things off and recover from the run.
      • What can we do here On the bike to improve your chances?
    • Sept 9 to October 6: Kona Peak @ Altitude, etc
      • TBD
    • Race Week: usual taper, fun, etc.
  • Options

@Coach Patrick ...Writing from Inaugural Camp Hoff.

noting your comment that this is my second re-boot in two months has me thinking prudence for the current two weeks. I like the "14 activities in the first 14 days" after IM. That said, I did nothing the first five days, then weights, 1.5 hr bike, 45' OWS, weights, 20' run the next five. A swim, a run, and two bikes the next two days here in VT, putting me on track I think to get back in the mix by next week.

Strength: 4-6 days/week of stretching, and stretch cord work on hips, and weighted squats (40-50#). 3 x a week in weight room, 35': Pull downs, press, leg Ad-& ab-ductors, seated leg press, leg curls, delts, reverse curls, curls.

Running: " Your knee is your coach". My goal is daily short runs (3-5 mi), 4-5/week, with one long run starting @one hour building weekly by 10-15 minutes, and 0-1 interval session/week testing limits. I need to be aware that putting shorter runs after weight sessions is not a good idea, and within 24-30 hours after long or hard run also not so good. Also, I still wonder about the risk/reward of bricks during training. I shied away from them this past cycle, and wonder if that was good or bad come race day. I was only doing 25-30 miles max per week, and think that also may have been an issue come race day.

But ultimately, a different race day strategy might be an answer...longer walks of 60-90 seconds from the start in aid stations?

July...one weekly bike intensity on Zwift, race or wko; OR sprint or Oly Tri. I do not see the need for any taper before USAT Nats, as qualifying is the only goal, and that is a given IMO. Day of travel, and day to register should be enough. Race is on Saturday; I'm expecting travel + two days easy (weights, swim) ought to be enough after, for a one week hole in training plan.

Beyond that, I'm not ready to detail my expectations, but agree that volume becomes the focus.

My number one goal for Kona is to be running all the way to the top of Palani (mile 25) having only walked aid stations. Everything else is subserviant to that. E.g., they allow us 70+ athletes to wear a wet suit, and I intend to take advantage of that via either Speed Tube or DeSoto bib john, even though it means I won't qualify for the podium.

And as of now, I have drawn an Iron Curtain after Kona in my mind, and will not think about whether or how to do IM AZ until after I get back to the Mainland. So I assume this is my last IM, and want to honor that, not let myself down.

• Options

@Al Truscott - thanks for giving me some time to answer this stuff. I think that you have USAT stuff all dialed in, so I am focusing more on the bigger picture and the run.

Here is what comes to mind when I think of your week in terms of more rules for you. I'd like you to digest these and get me feedback before we go into full planning mode.

Running in General:

• All runs are on flat terrain, or a treadmill. We want knee friendly terrain. 
    • Short runs are the bomb dot com, especially through August.
    • Run off the bike every chance you get. 
    • Run to WARM UP for weights as you are able. 
    • You need a day off of running a week; eventually this will be post long run when that happens.

Re Run Distance / Durability:

• Weekly mileage needs to be 30 miles for 3 weeks before we start thinking about consolidating into longer runs. 
    • Runs over 5 miles should be 1 minute walk, 1 mile run, repeat over and over. 
    • Don’t just think of durability as running. You can do a long arduous hike and spend 4 to 5 hours on your feet…that’s just as good as a long run. How much of an option is this for you?

Strength:

• Any reason you aren’t doing leg extensions for the knee? 
    • Overall I like the routine; only addition would be core to the strength at home (4 to 6 days) as a few planks and push us (5 push ups, plans on elbows for 30 seconds, 5 push ups, side plank for 30 seconds, 5 push ups, side plan on other side for 30 seconds, 5 push ups, glute bridge).

• Options

@Coach Patrick I went to see a new PT today, and now have his insights and enthusiasm, along with Blood Flow Restriction Therapy (BFR) to try and build more strength and stability in my right leg. He also is pushing me to stay level on the runs.

• (Sigh) ... OK, I will commit to running at least twice a week off the bike

• I have been running BEFORE weights for a couple of years now, and will try and leave at least 24 hours after weights before running again

• The PT's assessment is the same as yours - my core sucks, so I have to concentrate on tightening my inner (pelvic) core muscles as I do the exercises he's prescribed. I'll try and add planks as I change into my new routine

• I hope to get ready for long runs by the end of July, giving me Aug & Sept to build my endurance there.

• Hiking may be a good idea - I'll look for SAU opportunities for both of us in the mountains this summer.

• Leg Extensions: Sports MD and Orthpod had nixed them. With the BFR, which I tried for the first time this AM, the PT feels and I agree that it's safe to do Right leg extensions with 3-5# ankle weights, not going to full extension. This is done while a BP cuff is used to restrict blood flow to the leg. Believe me, it hurts (in the muscle, not the joint) to do a full routine of that - as hard as any weight routine I've done. If you;re not familiar with BFR, I can send you some links.

• Options

Very excited to hear that you’ve gotten a second opinion and that we have some new modalities to try. New science plus your focus and discipline will absolutely have a positive impact.

For right now, I think our top priority should be mapping out what this basic week will look like for you, at least Monday through Friday understanding that your weekends are flex based off of hiking or racing or other situations.

Do you think you can sketch something up based off of these “rules?“

• Options

I never did like homework, or appointment books for that matter (although I spent 35 years chained to them), but here goes for July/August routine:

Daily (ie, 4-6 x/week): Stretching, PT exercises

Monday: Early AM Bike 60-75', either Recovery or FTP work (if no race the previous weekend), Weights (25'), Run 30-45' (3-5 Mi). 2-2.5 hrs

Tuesday: Swim (probably OWS 1 hour/3000 yds), Run 30-45 1.5-1.75 hrs

Wednesday: Weights, Run 50-60' c strides or "easy" intervals. 1-1.5 hrs

Thursday: Bike in the mountains 4-5 hours (minimum 2000 KJ) 4-5 hrs

Friday: Weights, ABP bike, 75-150', Run 30'. 2.25-3.5 hrs

Sat: Sprint or Oly Triathlon to cover Bike FT work, swim intervals/speed work and run brick. 1.25-2.75 hrs

Sun: Long Run, 60' until 3 weeks x 30 miles; or hike 1 hr

Total hours/week, including weight training, but not including PT and stretching: 13-18 hours; estimated TSS >> 700-1000. I'm starting at a CTL of 115 yesterday...

I found this helpful. The past three months, training has been repeatedly disrupted by the big races and camps I've done, and I've really been making it up as I go along, doing whatever seemed right at the time. Given that, since March 1, I've had 11 weeks of 15-17 hrs/week (including 2 x 20 weeks during camps), and 5 weeks @ 10-12, mostly taper before and recovery after races.

• Options

This is fantastic. I agree that you’ve done a lot of great work over the last four months, but I believe that there is a benefit to being a specific as possible with our plan.

The bigger the race or goal, and more specific the plan needs to be. We are juggling the need to get ready for the race and maintain your current health.

I have no data to support this, but I believe the people who are good at scheduling and following a schedule do far better at Endurance sports.

• Options

@Al Truscott moved this thread to the CoachEN forum now for focused communications. Let's get a call on the books for next week. https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min Let's make it "official!" 👍

• Options

Update in prep for next week's call:

1. Looking back, this will only be the third time(2006/12) I've actually done a full 12 week prep focused specifically on Hawaii; other years, I used it as an RR for Arizona. Not this year. I will toe the start line in Tempe, but what I do there is still TBD, and will remain so until I get back home from HI.
    2. My main goal for the day is to run the whole way, allowing for full aid station walking. A 12' mile pace is perfectly fine with me, as is a 15 hour total time.
    3. I am up to 950 TSS last week, with a CTL of 119 yesterday. Planning on 30 miles of running this week. I have a tentative idea to get to 140 by mid Sept, doing an 18 mile run that week.
    4. My knee is not getting worse as I try to hit 4 x 5 mi/week, with 1 longer and 1 shorter (brick) run as well.
    5. My biking is suffering a bit, as I have not been able to hit the mountains yet (it's RAINING as I type). I did get a volume pop June 19-23, and some speed from a sprint two weeks ago and Oly last weekend. This will be the third week of a 3.5-4 hr/50-60 mi/1800-2000kj ride. Hope to move up from there.
    6. I am up to 4000 yd OWS this week, and expect to maintain that @ 4-4500 weekly through Sept.
    7. Not that you need reminding, but I am discovering @ 70, that (a) it's very easy to do too much or too hard and (b) thus my tolerance for work, which I remember from, say, 10 years ago, is not the same. I think that's the #1 reason we slow so much in LD triathlon @ this point. Yeah, less testosterone and HGH, and joint fragility. But my limiter is not muscle soreness, and certainly not my cardiovascular systems (RHR still sub 40, BP still 110/60), just simple tiredness, in the limbs and overall. Also, its very easy to get behind on hydration from day to day. I realise I'm not special, just stubborn.
    8. I'd also be remiss if I didn't talk about longer range planing, for 2020/1. I will race at the ITU SC WC in Edmonton, Aug 23. AND, I just learned last week, that because I was on the podium at the ITU LC WC this year, I do not have to qualify to go back. Since it's in Almere (near Amsterdam), and I want to go back and see the Rembrandts there, as well as race that distance INSTEAD of doing anymore IMs, I've signed up for that race which is Sept 12. Then, somehow qualify for the 2021 70.3 WC in St. George.
  • Options

This is great...thanks @Al Truscott for all the detail!!

Until the call,

~ Patrick

• Options

@Al Truscott Ok, here are the notes from our call and for what I think a basic week looks like for you. Can you confirm so that I can then get to work in Final Surge? Also, how did you feel about the run / was progression? 

Homework Actions

• Compare past Kona races for HR and Time to see how they play out. 
    • What is the speed on the bike / effort that let's Al keep HR down and run well on Ali'i.

Current Run Training Status

• Running on cinder track / bike path to baby the knee. 
    • 30 miles last week but long run was 6miles. 

Definition of Success in Kona

• Running between all the aid stations (except Palani)…walk 1 minute in the aid station. 
    • Under 15 hours for the whole race. 

Challenges

• Bike is the big issue…can’t handle the heat, bike back from Waikoloa is brutal. Can’t fight through the wind.
    • Can’t get enough fluids in. 

Three Disciplines Thoughts as of 07/23/2019

• 2 x 1:15 (4000 yds now) - worries that in Sept and won't get in OWS....frequency can help here. What will he lose there? 
    • Currently at 3 to 3.5 hour rides; but looking to September as the chance to really blow that out.
    • Run - Frequency sessions. 3 to 4 miles a day; then two of those days will be a bit of speedwork, split long runs to build up the mileage. 

Rest Day: 

• two 30' easy sessions with some weights. 
    • Can take it week by week. 

Proposed Basic Week Layout at least through 8/31

• Mon - Zwift Race for about 45 minutes at .95, Run 2
    • Tues - OWS, Run 5
    • Wed - 1.5h ABP to 2h depending (No run)
    • Thu - Thursday 4 to 4.5 hours with buddies, Run 2 miles.
    • Fri - Friday Freight Train...good intensity bump but not quite ABP, Run 3 miles
    • Sat - Split Long Run Progression
    • Sun - OWS, Optional PM Run

Upcoming

Second Week of August: Olympic Distance (Thu / Sun Travel; Fri Admin, Sat Race)...

~ Coach P

• Options

While you were writing your note, I was taking a deep-ish dive into the lead up and race data from 4 of my last 5 IMs: Kona 2014, Kona 2015, MD 2016 and AZ 2018. Here's an executive summary of what I learned:

• Back in the 2014/15 era, I was racing without HR, so it's fruitless to learn anything from those races as to my run HR.

• MD 16 & AZ 18 do contain some lessons - or at least confirm what we already know.

• As I noted in our call, my KONA preparations were insufficient for a satisfactory race, either due to a short prep time (14), or a leg which was non functional (15). But the lead in to AZ 18 is helpful, I think.

I looked carefully at my race day HR data in MD and AZ. In MD, I had a "good" run, in that I was still running except for aid stations all the way thru, with two exceptions: there were "lakes", 11 of them' on the course, which I walked thru and @ about mile 11, I was giving up. I stopped and talked with my wife, who told me later she asked herself, "What would Patrick say?". She told me to eat something, so I took a few cookies at the next aid station, and over the next 1/2 hours, brought my pace back up. At Arizona, I was doing fine until about mile 20 or so, when I started walking a bit longer in the aid stations. Mile 21+, I threw up, and while I kept running mostly, I was slowing down.

I looked at the HR files for both the bike and run in each race. For MD, I have no HR data, but my run averaged 116 the whole way, with 115 in the first 30', and 120 the last 45'. The only dip was a slow build from 100 to 116 during that bad patch I had. My last 4-5 miles were about 30-45" slower than my first 4-5. I felt good about that run.

At Arizona, my HR on the bike started @ 100 for the first hour, and hit avg 113 for the last hour. But then on the run, the overall average (for the first 20 miles - battery died @ that point) was 113, but 122 for the first 20 minutes. Duh, the HR line goes steadily downwards from that point, hitting 106 in the fifteen minutes before the first extended (3'30") walk (wherein it was 91).

I think this is useful information to reinforce a strict adherance to the EN dogma about HR management over the bike/run during the race, as well as the need to keep strict control of effort all along Ali'i.

I've also got some thoughts also having reviewed the 12 weeks prior to each race (up to but not including the final taper week), but I;ve got to take my sister to the airport, so I'll be back at ya tomorrow.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Back with a summary of what I learned looking at my data during the twelve weeks before Kona '14, '15, LP '15, MD '16, AZ '17, and Boulder '19...there is a striking correlation with miles per week running, and my ability to successfully execute the run. The two Konas and Boulder, I was @ 21-22 and failed miserably. IM MD I was at 28+ mpw, and was able to execute. LP. I was @ 24.4 and ran 25 miles, faltering in the last one. IM AZ 18, I ran 23.5, and faltered in the last 4.

I went back to my hugely successful runs of about 10 years ago, and ofund that I was running 25-ish miles a week.

A main goal is to run enough, but just enough to have a successful run, without putting my knee into a hole during training. That number seems to be 25-28 mpw. Since at least two weeks will have 18-20 miles (next week, and the week of Sept 8), that means I need to shoot for 30 mpw otherwise. I am there now, and have not noticed any worsening of my knee pain or swelling.

This exercise has been useful to get me out of the house and onto the trail or track as needed to get my mileage in.

Current training status - Last week (week before IM LP, from your perspective):

Monday: Weight room 25'; run 3.33 mi

Tuesday: PT 75', Run Cruise intervals 4 x 1km @ 7:57 >> 7:36 pace; 70' social ride @ IF 0.73

Wednesday: OWS 53'; Run 2 mi @ 22', bike 100' @ 0.7

Thursday: Mountain Goats, 5600'/50 mi/4 hr 10' with a 60' interval @ 0.9/2200', OA 0.74

Friday: Zwift recovery ride 75' @ 0.65; Run 4 mi/38'; Weights 25'

Saturday: Split Long Run 6.7/68', 4.8/50'

Sunday: Swim 30 x 25, 8 x 50 > 1750 yds/52'; Run 3.1/28'

Total TSS: 962 (Last six weeks: 1,027, 821, 807, 933, 897). Peak CTL: 124, trough TSB: -27; Peak Ramp 6.8

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Weekly Update:

Overview - This past week I have felt much better than the previous two weeks, despite a new high TSS.

•Less sense of overall fatigue,

• improved strength in my weaker leg,

• improving sense of capability in my right knee, with less pain there eg walking up/down stairs, running,

• Able to make it through to Monday (today) without feeling I needed a day off

• Beginning to see results in long workouts in all three disciplines.

PMC Stats: Peak CTL 129, today 127 (before any workouts); peak ramp today 6.5; peak TSS -31 today; total TSS for the week 1,138, most since last season/year.

Daily workouts:

Monday: 27' Zwift race on London Classique @ 1.027 IF; 25' weights (This is my "easy day")

Tuesday: OWS 4000 yds/1 hr 22'; Run 5 mi

Wed: Run Cruise Intervals 1 km (1') @ 7:50, 5 mi in 45'; Weights x 25'

Thursday: Mountain Ride 4 hr 7', 6050', Two climbing intervals, 1st @ VAM 650 x 57', 0.875 IF; ending climb of 1600'/6 mi in 47'@ 0.78 IF.

Friday: Zwift Recovery Ride x 60' (Pack Slackers Group); PT x 50'

Saturday: Split Long Run - 6 AM 8 mi/77'; Evening @ 7 PM 5 mi in 45:46; OWS @ 9 AM 3300 yds/62'

Sunday: Another Mountain bike ride, non-stop from 383' >> 5300' in 2 hr 23' @ 0.83 IF; Evening 2.1 mi run for frequency.

Total run miles this week 25.3 @ 30"/mi faster than previous week. Most of it was done on the track, with a big effort to take 30+ seconds each mile to drink, walk (water fountain there makes it easy). That flat running plus the morning PT I'm doing plus the more formal weekly PT sessions and the daily NormaTec I think are finally making a difference in how my knee is doing. I don;t want to give the impression that all is fine. The swelling is still there. It's still somewhat tender when I'm done running. But it feels better, and I'm running more (NOT faster) than at any point in the last 18+ months. If I keep this up, then any failures on the run on race day will be due to execution and nutrition/hydration errors, not fitness or knee capacity.

Upcoming week is a breather while I travel to Cleveland for the USAT SC Nat'l Champs, to get on Team USA for ITU WC next year in Canada. I expect a top ten finish (7-8-9), anything better than 7th will be a raging success IMO. It will be a good test of both execution patience, and run strength, as I try to run to my limits. (I intend to really work the bike right on the RPE red line for the final 60' after a 10' ramp-up.)

8 more weeks of pre-taper training, with increasing emphasis on long workouts in all three sports, and holding steady on the weekly TSS.

• Options

@Al Truscott - Ok, recapping your great notes above...

IM Run Race Lessons

- Early miles matter for HR

- This is 2x in Kona along Ali’i drive.

IM Run Training Lessons

- Target is 25 to 28 mpw, which translates to 30 mpw give or take into the race. 

- Flat running is critical for mileage and run "Safety"

- Recovery is essential.

In addition to the above, I would add:

• I’d prefer cruise intervals (4 x 1k) for "work" on the run vs any hill work whatsoever. I’ll flat running please. 
    • We have to keep the run / walk going for the longer stuff. It’s great practice for Kona on both discipline and hydration. And I think that it will help you build safely. 
    • I don’t want to miss out on the bike stuff as well…there should be on really long ride day in there, but easy. You are doing great hard work, but we need one day of easy riding but a long day…has to be flat. What would this look like for you and when could it fit? This big aerobic dose is a great low-cost boost to your fitness. 
    • One key workout I like folks with run focus to do into Ironman is modifying the traditional Sunday ABP ride to be 90 minutes, and then do a longer race pace brick off of it of 8 to 10 miles. 

I am just putting that out there ^above^ , I am not sure how it would fit and I don’t want to jeopardize the great flow you’ve established. Perhaps our next talking point?

Have a great race!!!

~ Coach P