Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Josh Maylee Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes - Beginner

First off, I'm a big guy: 6'10" - 260 lbs, not fat just very tall :) I'm a 44 year old biology teacher.  I have completed  5 half Ironman's (all around the time of 6:30 - 6:50). I have also completed the following 4 Ironman's: 

• Florida        2010 Swim: 1:37, Bike: 7:14, Run: 5:37; Total - 14:57
  • Coeur d'Alene 2011 swim: 1:35, Bike: 7:10, Run: 6:21; Total - 15:33
  • Lake Placid 2014 Swim: :45*(shorten swim due to lighting), Bike: 7:33, Run: 6:09; Total- 14:37
  • Chatanooga 2015 Swim- 1:06, Bike: 6:46 (116 miles), Run- 6:41; Total- 14:56

Current Fitness:  

I have had a long layoff (all of 2016) and 2017 has been far and few in between, averaging a few times per month of running and weights and maybe a bike or two. To be honest, some months I did nothing at all. I feel like some of my fitness is still there, it just has to be worked on. I wouldn't say I was starting all over again because when I do focus on working out regularly it comes back a lot faster than one would expect but I'm out of shape. I've always been an all or nothing person and my biggest problem is finding a medium. 

For everyone of my Ironman"s I have followed one of EN's plans but I always go in spurts, either all out or missing several days in a row or a couple weeks and never quit get to the fitness level I want. I preach to my students consistency but I have a difficult time doing it over the duration of a training plan. Anyway,  My 44th birthday was Monday and I'm ready and very hungry (figuratively) to tackle an aggressive plan to have a break through season. 

So I guess you could treat me like a beginner who has 4 Ironman finishes under his belt, who has had a long, inconsistent layoff over the past couple years, just started running/biking again and wants to work extremely hard to see what his potential could be. 

Your Races

• Ironman Louisville (2018-10-14) #IMLou_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/03/17
  • Complete the Trial Testing Week, save your Bike and Run Zones to the My Zones Page.
  • On 10/30/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/26/2017
  • On 11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017
  • On 12/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/21/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 10/14/2018
  • On 10/15/2018 Load the Intermediate Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/11/2018
  • On 11/12/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/9/2018

Coach Notes

How to Train This (And Every Fall) Inside Endurance NationGroupMe Chat for RDP 

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/1raqc33ika

Contact Points

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. You can schedule all calls with me for these times online here. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (to be announced)

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website
We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / 0-- First 30 Days on EN.  If you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out via the chat icon on the main Members website here.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Your Homework for Our Call

• How can we best get you consistent?
  • What are the constraints on your "regular" time? 
  • Do you have flexibility mid-year or not?

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Ok, now that my tech problems are over, ready to suffer:) I just did the 5k test today, data below: 
    29:46-treadmill...speed 6.0-6.5, incline 2.0 w/ a couple minutes at 1.0, HR: avg 149, max 167.
    I also entered it in the profile data. I haven't had a chance to do the bike test yet. I messaged you a quick question although I guess I should ask it here, correct? Not really sure how this works.

Anyway here's my question: 

Based on the season plan, I was supposed to start Run Durability Plan 1 last week (Oct 30) but the tech issues didn't allow me to see the plan until today. However, I did run 5x (20 minutes) last week and 3x this week including the 5k test today. Should I just jump into week 2 of Run Durability Plan 1 this week or start with week 1 this week or next?  

Thanks for your time, 

Josh
  • Options
    Josh - yes to asking me here thanks! You can totally jump ahead to get back on track no issues. 

And nice test! Looking forward to seeing what you can do this Winter!!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Weekly Update: 
    *I've been busy this week, at least with running, 6x including run test = 18.5 miles total 

*70' TRP 6 miles run very hilly (basically 3 miles downhill, then 3 miles up hill), Pace: 11:38 where my TRP is 11:33; HR avg: 129 where my TRP HR max is 122. I account most of this to the hills. I have noticed that the z1 warm up pace is almost hard to do because it's sooooo easy, but I guess that's the point right?  

*Bike Test: Wahoo Kickr 8.85 miles, avg speed 17.7, avg watts 221, HR avg last 20' was 142, max 151.  
    Well, on to week 3 RD 1, can I add another bike session since I'm not swimming or would it be too much too soon? 

-Josh
  • Options
    @Josh Maylee - Thanks for the update, and wait to stay as consistent as possible. Yes, you are welcome to add another bike session especially if it fits on the weekend.

We don’t have a ton of high expectations around the bike yet, but it is a great tool to build fitness safely and burn those calories!
  • Options

Update:

Week of 11/13- 19  (RD 1-week 3)   Ran x4 - 15.7 miles

11/20-26  (RD 1- week 4)  Ran x 4 - 16.7 miles

11/27-12/3 (RD 2- week 1) Ran x 5 - 21.5 miles

It’s been a busy couple of weeks but as you can see from the data above, I’ve been fairly consistent with the run. The running is progressing fairly well, I feel a lot stronger than I did a few weeks ago. I think my "in shape self" is inside me somewhere ready to emerge like a butterfly after a long, long metamorphosis.

A couple of questions:

*Should I retest for the run at the end of Run Plan 2 (in 3 weeks) or keep the same zones when I repeat RD 2?

*All my :70 runs involve a lot of hills and it’s hard to maintain the TRP without blowing up my heart rate and energy. I’ve been trying to maintain a modified pace (12:30ish instead of TRP of 11:30 uphill and faster downhill @ 11:00ish) to take in account for the hills. Is this a valid strategy or should I not worry about HR and keep strictly to the TRP regardless of the hills? Any suggestions?

• Options
    @Josh Maylee -  Thanks for the update! I think you’re making some great progress here… Instead of wrapping it up too much right now, I said we keep it consistent. My only fear is that you’re start chasing a number that we don’t need to chase… Especially this early.

Stick with the heart rate zones on the hills so you are steady, and continue to gradually build those miles. I can see you sitting around 25 miles per week by the end of December which I think would be perfect.
  • Options

@Josh Maylee

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory,  3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

We are looking forward to your answers!

~ Team EN

• Options

** Rankings **

***Since it's only my 3rd month in EN I feel like I'm still working on everything but here's my rankings: 

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory,  3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 1

• Bike Fitness: 1

• Run Fitness:  1.5

• Weight / Body Composition: 1

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? Since following the RDP, I would say the running

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?  Implementing a plan around a very busy schedule. 

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?  Yes

• Options
    @Josh Maylee

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.

• Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.

• We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.

• Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.

• You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.

• You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.

• If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.

• A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!

• Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.

• Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.

• 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options
    Greetings Coach P, 

Update: I've been beyond busy since mid-Jan with working a full-time teaching gig plus teaching evening college classes Monday through Thursday; where each day started at 5:30am and didn't even get home until 9:30-10pm. Needless to say I've sort of been more in survival mode rather than training mode. However, my running has been "consistent?". Here is the overall run data for Jan-April: 
      Jan     14.3 miles/week, 3 runs per week
      Feb     20.9 miles/week, 3.5 runs per week
      Mar     20.9 miles/week, 4 runs per week 
      Apr      16.9 miles/week, 3.75 runs per week

My bike and swim on the other hand have been almost not existent. It was simply a choice that I could only do one thing well and I decided running was most important. Believe it or not, I actually feel pretty good about my run fitness right now considering my schedule the last few months. I feel I've been more consistent with the run over the past six months than I've ever been in the past (silver lining right?) Anyway, good news because my night classes end this week so I'll be back to a new "normal schedule." 

My question is this: 

I have about 5 weeks until I start up the Full IM training plan. I was scheduled to do a swim camp and a bike block starting a few weeks ago through the first week of June. I was thinking about doing a hybrid of swim camp and a bike block while maintaining about 20 miles/week running. What do you think? Suggestions?  

Oh and full disclosure:   I'm doing the 70.3 in Hawaii on June 2nd!  (I know, I can hear you telling me you don't need to do a half while training for a full...... BUT...... the opportunity came up and its the weekend of the end of my school year and I've never been there and why not:)  Plus, I'm just going to treat it like a "training day" 
  • Options
    @Josh Maylee -   Man, I’m exhausted just reading about your schedule! I’m so happy you were able to keep up the run consistency. It’s not only critical to your run fitness and running health, but it does set the stage for the rest of the year and all the other sports. Good for you!

Given that you were doing a half, why not just load up the half I am planning to follow that for now? That woman surgery getting in the long run and long ride but you need to you right now. You may even need to break up then run into two parts, half of the morning half in the evening to make it work.

Let’s start with that as a baseline and we can go from there. Let me know what your questions are! 
  • Options
    Ok, so Hawaii 70.3 went about as I expected (Swim- :51, Bike- 3:45 and Run WALK- 3:44; 8:42 Total) I actually ended up in the med tent with an IV after (another first). Based on this I was about to get extremely down on myself then I analyzed the data and realized a few key points: 
    * This year so far has been one of the hardest I've had in my professional career and personal life (no exaggeration) 
    * From Feb to May I only rode (9 times) and swam (7 times)...how's that for inconsistent:) 
    * Not an easy course, my nutrition was way off, and it was HOT and windy
    *Actually didn't feel too bad on the swim and the bike all things considered

So, now I'm on summer break and have unlimited time so I need some advise: 

There are 18 weeks left before IM Louisville, I'm supposed to be on week 3 of the 20 week IM Full - Run focus. My question is what should be my course of action from here out?  I see a couple of options:
    *Start on week 3 of the 20wks IM Full-run focus and forget the past and train hard
                                      OR
    *Do the 12 week IM Full starting  in six weeks and in the meantime do a modified swim camp/bike focus block where I could do multiple things a day for six weeks. 

I want to take advantage of my free time for the next 7 weeks but I'm feeling kinda lost as to what exactly to do. 

• Options
     Sorry to hear about the race, but it sounds like it was not unexpected. Good execution can fix lots of problems, but it can’t overcome the lack of training. Most importantly, you have survived a really challenging start to your year and are ready to get to work! 

I agree with you, let’s hold off on the race prep until 12 weeks to go. Anytime, please load the bike focus plan for the next six weeks. Follow the first two weeks as written and then over the last four weeks please try to get a daily run in. Even if it’s just one mail. That frequency will really get you ready for the final push.

Also, if there’s a chance to do a longer ride for fun, like a century ride, feel free to add it in.
  • Options
    Ok, this is going to be a long one:) I had a big week and need input on a couple of big thing. 

1) For the past 3 split runs I've done on the treadmill, I had an issue. I take a gel and water right before I start. I do the 10 minute warmup @ z1 pace then somewhere around the 12-25 minute mark @ TRP I get totally fatigued, almost like I've never ran before. My heart rate is normal, I just don't have any energy. I then stop and sit for 2-4 minutes then get up and almost literally the rest of the run is fine, no issues. The second run this doesn't happen or for any of the other runs during the week, only at the beginning of the long run. It happens regardless of where I'm doing the long run treadmill or outside. Advice? 
    ======================================================================

2) I did my Big Day # 1 and did the following extensive breakdown. I would like to get your feedback/advice based on it. I plan to Big Day # 2 in two weeks. Thanks 

Swim: 1hr- 2524 yds Total; 1000yd TT  21:00, 2:06/100yds w/ wetsuit, cool rainy morning, Temp: 81

Bike: 75.66 miles indoors, 4:00-kikr trainer, (wu :30 @ 140W small ring, 2x50(10’)@ 190W big ring, remainder @ 140W small ring),  Speed: 18.9 avg, Power: 153 avg, HR: 113 avg, Cadence: 77 avg, 2189 cal, Temp: 75

Run: 5 miles, :60, 12:02/mile, HR: 140 avg, Cadence: 73/foot , 835 cal, Temp: 88 avg

Comments:

Swim- I was surprised at how well the wetsuit helped overall versus without it. I basically did the same workout from monday and several things stood out: 1) With the wetsuit, my arms were barely tired & while doing the TT I dropped roughly 13 minutes compared to the swim from monday in which I wear just a pair of running shorts!, 2) The small of my back did hurt a little towards the end of the TT but that was about it. Nutrition: I eat a bowl of cereal, cup of coffee (breakfast) and a gel right before starting. I felt a little wobbly coming out of the water and very thirsty. I drank 30 oz driving back to the home and before I got on the bike. (T1 time: 17 minutes)

Bike(indoor kikr trainer)- I used two water bottles every hour (1 gatorade endurance formula & 1 regular water). I eat a gel every :30 minutes.

Beginning weight: 245.8 lbs

0- 1 hour:  I felt ok, the first part was a little rough because my legs felt dead and started to warm up during the beginning of the main set. I used the big ring on purpose during the main set @ z3-z4 to simulate the hills a little rather than just plain flat. Eat a gel (80 cal) at :30 mark, was drinking about every :10 or so, alternating water & gatorade. I stopped at :60 mark and filled up both bottles, eat a gel (80 cal) and to pee.

1-2 hour: eat another gel (80 cal) at the 1:30 mark, drank another bottle of both by two hour mark. I felt a little better but still kind of fatigued getting towards the heavy side. My main issue was my left big toe was hurting. I think it’s sliding around WAY too much. I actually think my shoe is too big. Ok I wear a size 17 shoe, might need to go to a smaller size, something I never thought I would be saying.

2-3 hour: Stopped again to refuel the same at 2 hour mark, eat a small chicken & cheese wrap as well. Stopped at 2:30 mark to eat a gel blast (180 cal) most of it but had to force it, didn’t feel like eating at all, finished the last little bit at 2:50ish. All the while I was still drinking roughly a bottle of each during each hour. I was in z2 and doing ok, feet still hurting more than I would like.

3-4 hour: Stopped at the 3:00 mark to weigh for Indoor Sweat Test, Beginning weight 240 lbs. I eat another small wrap, refilled bottles. Eat a gel at 3:30 mark. I think I drank about 45 oz this hour. Weight after the last hour…...241 lbs (gained a 1 1bs). I know I’m a heavy, heavy sweater so something funky about that. My legs at the end were a little heavy but not too bad.  

Run- I felt ok considering it was very humid out and the course is basically a set of long gradual and short steep hill repeats. My heart rate was low (below 120) for the first couple of miles but then jumped up to 140-150 range once I got into the steep hills. I felt ok and actually was at TRP pace until about mile 3 and slowed way down. I stopped for about 2 minutes at the 33 minute mark because I had limited amount of water and was trying to conserve. I stopped again about :45 mark….was starting to redline at this point and was about 2 miles from home. I just stood there for a couple of minutes to recover otherwise I was about to walk and my day was going to be over. The last part was a true Ironman shuffle were my pace fell apart and my heart rate was about 150. In the last mile I even tried to run slow enough to make it drop to 140 or so and even though I was on a hilly part, I couldn’t get it below 152.  

Overall take-a-way: I’m glad I have a couple of months left to improve. This was Big Day # 1 so there’s still time. I think my nutrition is the biggest key for me. I know I can physically do the distance but I fall short in the nutrition part especially on the run. I think my nutrition on the bike is ok. I was thinking about taking 2x gels every 30 minutes instead of 1. This might be the extra calories I need for the run. I’m satisfied with eating the wraps at the 2:00 mark and maybe every hour after that. I have learned that I being a bigger guy I need the solid food after a couple of hours. I also think that I need to drink about 2 bottles (25 oz each) every hour on the bike. I don’t usually do that on a ride outside, nor do I ever pee during a ride outside. The run: I realize it’s a mistake to not drink enough on the run. I usually drink about 1 bottle (10z) every 30 minutes but today I drank only part of one for the whole hour because of a limited supply. In addition, I only had 1 gel (80 cal) at the start of the run and nothing else, didn’t feel like eating. I think I just have to force myself to eat.   

• Options

I have a three day weekend coming up this week. Could I do "Camp Week" this week 14 instead of week 15?

• Options

@Josh Maylee Yes, you absolutely can do that. The key is to make sure that you don’t do too much on the Thursday before the weekend. Let me know what you decide and we can go from there. Remember a large part of your success here is about pacing in Nutrition) so make sure you prioritized as you prepare for the weekend.

• Options

Camp weekend over...did A LOT of Hill work (4.5 hrs friday-outside, 4 hrs sat-wahoo kikr). I didn't get a run or quite the time/distance prescribed but I feel like the HARD hill work was worth it. I tried to simulate the IML course on sat trainer ride, actually over exaggerating the distance and % of the climbs. Nutrition and Pacing is going well, starting to develop a second nature habit especially for eating.

2 questions:

1) I average about 80 cal (gel) every 30 minutes and sip on gatorade endurance (~50oz/hr) and feel ok. Since I'm a big guy and a heavy sweater, should I double the gel amount? I haven't really tried that yet but thinking about it for this saturdays 1hr-5hr-1hr race rehearsal.

2) Split run .....How should I approach breaking up my last 3 long runs of 120, 120 & 180? Or is it not a wise to break up these?

• Options

Josh - I'll take your question for Coach P.

1. You might try experimenting with a few more calories to see if that helps you, but not too much. Over consumption of calories in an ironman can lead to gastric distress that you might not be able to fix other than via a reset (aka, vomiting). On the other hand, if you are feeling a little bonked, or feeling like you can't make it, that is a sign you may be underfueled, which is easily fixed by your onboard nutrition or the next aid station.
    2. Please review the split run guidance in the wiki. http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Understanding+the+Endurance+Nation+Split+Long+Run
  • Options

@Paul Hough Thanks for the response. In my mind I sort already knew the answer to my questions, it's just nice to be re-enforced that you're on the right track of thinking. Thanks again.

• Options

Due to weather I more than likely won't be able to do my bike race rehearsal outside and will be on the trainer this weekend. Should I just do z2-3 power the whole time -OR- try to simulate the Louisville course with inclines ( I have the whole course with inclines mapped out by the mile)?

• Options

Look at your plan. Some of the RRs are primarily designed to get you used to the long ride with as much time in the aerobars as possible. For a veteran Ironman, adding in the elevation profile would be a bonus, but if this is your first then the time goal is the principal objective. BTW, I did 6hrs indoors this past weekend ... brutal!

• Options

@Josh Maylee You should be on the strainer and writing study this weekend. Goal is to spend time in the aero bars and focusing on your nutrition execution. Lots of mental visualization as well. You can try and replicate the climbing sections but don’t go out of your way. If your body revolts after 4 1/2 hours you can hop off and do the run and call it a day. Only you know how much fatigue you are carrying.

• Options

@ Coach Patrick - I posted this as an individual post all ready but thought I would add it here as well.

=================================================================================

IM Louisville 2018 Race Report

Height: 6’10, Weight: ~235lbs, 5th Ironman

A Day of Firsts even though it was my 5th IM

Saturday:

On the advice/demand of my lovely wife, we got out of town (hour and half drive) and went to Mammoth Caves National Park for majority of day. I was beyond nervous-nauseous and couldn’t relax, but the caves were awesome and would recommend to anyone if you have time. I was eating and drinking constantly all day while doing a fair amount of light walking which in hindsight kept me loose. Dropped off my gear late afternoon (~4pm) and had to get my bike adjusted because it wouldn’t shift into the big ring, although I never ended up using it. I think it was a symptom of a potentially larger issue so glad I took the extra time and $16 later, no issues- small price to pay for success next day. Got back to the hotel and suddenly I was uncharacteristically calm….it just hit me and had the attitude of “I don’t care what happens tomorrow”, and for the first time ever the night before an IM, I eat a whole pizza and actually slept rather piecefully the whole night.     

Race Day:

Morning- got up at 5am, eat two small containers of liquid chobani yogurt, water and two small pieces of pizza. Took a pre-workout dose of Hammer Anti-fatigue and Endurance BCAA+. I wore my swim jammers, a shirt, and a pull over jacket because it was already raining pretty steady. I had planned to just wear my wetsuit from that point due to the rain but decided on my cycling rain pants instead. Left hotel about 5:35am. Got to transition around 6:15 am, decided to take off cycling rain pants and put in bike bag (just in case). I don’t know about anyone else but you ever have a seamily non significant moment that turns out to be a season changing action?....Well that decision was the best one I made since signing up for this race a year ago.   

Pre-Swim:

Got in wetsuit about 7:15am and waited in the rain, watched the “flooding” river, repeat. I did have one hammer nutrition gel and water about an hour before the start. Swim was shorten to .9mi due to the current, which was fine but I’m still counting this as a “Full IM” I don’t care what ANYONE says :), besides the swim is just a warm up, right? I didn’t start the swim until about 9:30ish.

Swim: Time: 7:35

Started swim and within two strokes my goggles fogged up, had to roll over, take them off and lick’em and put them back on and continue. It was a super fast swim although I had to sight off other people because I couldn’t see any boyes, only was able to see kayakers if I was right on them. I felt good on the swim (although short) but I had to concentrate to see the exit as fast as the water was moving. It would of easily sweep you away if you misjudged the exit and/or you were not a very strong swimmer at the end. I actually sprinted as hard as I could for about 200 yds at the end to get to the shore where I got away from the current a tad and could line up the exit.   

T1: Time: 13:54    (Projected ~ 10-15)

Was a sloppy...humid….dirty….mess. I knew this would be a slow process but I just needed to be smooth. It took a few seconds to find a seat and even then everyone’s crap was all over and wet, wet, wet. So instantly everything I took out and touched became wet. I had to make a critical decisions during this transition: 1) I was going to tape my left pinky toe because I’ve had a bruise on it since June and it normally hurts after about 3-4 hrs on the bike but tape was too wet. Skipped it. I had an extra insole in my bike shoes that helped prevent my foot from sliding around. 2) Wore my rainpaints and thought I could always take them off if it became too hot. ****Gold Star decision***

Bike: Time: 7:11 (Projected ~ 7:00-7:30)

It was cold and my feet were soaked immediately, but thanks to my aforementioned pants and riding jacket i was fairly warm. There was enough climbing that when you started to become really cold, you started climbing and warmed up. I was in my small ring all day with the goal of a HR cap of 140, my long ride avg HR is 125. So I tried to stay at that number on the flats and just spin up the hills and back off when it was over 140. I decided to ignore speed on the hills; instead focusing on HR and when I topped each hill, shift a few gears, give a few hard(er) pedal strokes and coast down the hill and repeat! I had scouted this course pretty hard by riding the wahoo Kikr using exaggerated grades % and lengths simulation.  Basically where 4hrs were twice as hard as 7-8 actual outside road hours. The first 30 miles were pretty good despite the heavy rain and wind. I was drinking 2 bottles of Skratch mix per hour and taking a hammer gel (~80-90 cal) every 30 minutes...in addition I was taking 2 anti-fatigue and Endurance BCAA+ pills every hour that were in separate plastic bags for each hour -stored in my bento box...exactly like I had done in training. My only issue was that the drink/gels I used were very difficult to reach when needed. I actually had to stop almost every time I needed a gel/skratch. I had them in ziplock bags due to the weather but with my jacket on it was difficult. Miles 33-45 were a little difficult and I hit a rough patch were I stopped on a long climb and checked my back brake because it felt like it was rubbing but nothing, it was just me slowing down. A little later before the turn for the second loop I was feeling a little fatigued and began to worry that this was the old familiar feeling of falling apart for the second lap. HOWEVER, another first occurred where I just kept moving, eating and drinking like planned and that feeling went away. I did miss taking a gel once or twice but I could tell at the time that my stomach wouldn’t of liked it anyway. The second lap felt much better and I peed at about mile 75 and when I got to the 80 mile mark or so I began to pick up the speed and I was nowhere near being gassed and that was reflexed in the increased speed. Last 10 flat miles I was picking up speed and mentally preparing for the unknown of an Ironman run, I was feeling kinda neutral about how I physically felt.

T2: Time: 12:02 (Projected: 10-15)

Hopped off bike, rather dismounted in a non-spectacular fashion and was running to my run bag and ACTUALLY my legs felt pretty good, good enough to run in my bike shoes:)  

Same scenario as T1 but more seats available and I noticed how many red bags were “still” on the ground outside because usually there aren’t a lot of them when I come through. (Starting to see a theme with my day?) Felt good to take off the bike shoes, no pinky toe issues the whole ride. Changed my shorts and emptied my bike nutrition from jersey but not much else, however I did keep my rain pants on for the run as well.   

Run: Time: 5:27 (Projected: 5:30-6:00)

I came out of the changing tent and started to run immediately and felt ok. I guess I missed where the timing mat was and I ended up starting my watch about 3/10ths of a mile late. I wanted to keep my heart rate at my long Ride Average (~125) but it was around 131-133 so I went with it. I ran with a lady for about 4 miles before dropping back and still felt pretty good - legs turning over well, heart rate steady at 133, drinking (skratch) and eating (gel blasts) until mile 6 or so. I didn’t even walk through the first 4 aid stations. I was a little hot and the jacket and pants felt bulky but made the decision that I would shed them around the halfway mark if it was still an issue. I did notice that after about six miles or so, that springy feeling I had was starting to decrease but settled in to my pace ~12:00/mile and just kept knocking out the miles, focusing on foot turn over and form. From mile 6-13 I started getting drink/food at the aid stations. Around mile 9 or so it started to get fairly cold and made the decision to keep my gear for the remainder of the run. I believe I peed at around the same mile 9 point (another first in an IM). The one mistake I might have made was not taking any gels or blasts after about milie 6 but I was drinking at each aid station. I don’t think my stomach was able to handle it and a few miles I just got water in hopes of settling it down to be able to take in more fuel. Eventually my stomach settled and I was able to take in drinks again.

At the halfway point I was in a semi-tired state but still focused, still doing 12:00/miles.  Got a little boost being on the second lap and basically kept drinking coke, red bull, and chicken broth at each aid station and preparing for mile 18.

Mile 18 came and went and I was feeling about the same, my pace dropped a little to around 13:00/mile, still NO walking except through the aid stations but no major fatigue or feeling like I can’t take another step...I was just running a little slower but still running.

Mile 20 was near the out turn-around, and started passing people just by a steady not slowing down any further pace. I kept waiting for a total break down in pace but never happened. I was just steady all the way back with the exception of my feet starting bothering me. Around mile 23 my left foot starting getting major blisters and ended up walking a couple hundred feet to get things sorted out but once again was able to run right after. It was awesome to have the feeling that anytime I stopped and walked through the aid stations, when I wanted to run again I was able to pick up right where I left off. I was still passing people who were walking even at mile 24-26, not sure how many people I passed on the last lap but it was quite a few, with hardly anyone passing me (both firsts on the day :)  Had the finishing shoot all to myself, which seemed appropriate considering I had ran the whole damn marathon :)

Overall thoughts: Time: 13:24

I actually enjoyed the weather overall, since I was born and raised in Oregon/Washington but have been in Texas for the last 18 years. It was a nice change from the scorched earth 100+ degree/90% humidity days I’ve trained in all summer; however I do sympathize with everyone because it was blind luck that I wore my rain pants on the bike.

I thought my bike nutrition and pacing worked out very well in comparison to past IM rides and courses- actually peed on the bike. I was actually fresh for the run, never in a million years would have guessed that and the time wasn’t that awful, especially since I only rode from June-Oct this year.

The run was my highlight because of two things: 1) my heart rate was steady the whole run as shown by the chart below and I felt pretty good most of the time.

2) Simply put…...I ran the whole *&$($ Marathon, never even did that in an individual marathon, let alone an Ironman:)

Ok,  I know I seem overly excited about a rather slow time but I’m a Triathlete trapped in a basketball players body (6’10, 235lbs). I run and bike like a giraffe- where physics is against me. My bike is the biggest around, if you saw a big old blue co-motion bike where the seat was at your chest level or so, that was mine. I have self proclaimed that I’m the “World’s Tallest Multiple Ironman Finisher” (un-officially of course, never got around to verifying it LOL). To be honest, most of you all intimidate/inspire me because you’re so small(er)/light(er) & fast(er) but when I crunch the numbers and figure this Gentle Giant beat close to 60% of the field on Sunday for his 5th IM finish, I guess I’m no slouch either. Thanks for all your support and I hope I did EN proud.  

• Options

Thank you so much for putting it here, sometimes I don’t see all of the race reports because my attention is needed elsewhere. I am so pumped for you I’m not racist. If race day is about making smart decisions then all of your decision set you up for the marathon. Yours is the first race report I’ve seen here or other where you actually ran well and close to what you expected. I attribute this to your focus on the bike and your adherence to the nutritional protocol.

Excellence has nothing to do with the finish in time, it has everything to do with how you put the race together. I think you can put a big healthy positive check in the box!

I hope you have some recovery planned and I look for to talking with you about a basic plan for the winter to prepare for number six!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/r64pzlcxj4

Your Races

TBD

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on October 30, 2019
    • On 9/30/2019  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  11/24/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  12/22/2019
    • On 12/23/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  1/19/2020

Your Notes

My season just ended with an Achilles tendon injury that plagued the last six weeks of training for IM Maryland 2019. It was a burning feeling in my Achilles above the ankle on almost every pedal stroke and mild discomfort on the run, thus reducing me to swim only for six weeks prior and hope for the best. I paid the price in IM Maryland where it progressively got more painful with every pedal stroke from mile 20-112, translating into stopping several times and about 5mph slower on average for the whole ride (needless to say it was the most painful ride I’ve done). I gave a futile attempt to save my Ironman and every step I tried to run resulted in a sharp, stabbing pain from the back of my ankle to my calf. Walking didn’t hurt but I felt it was only a matter of time and honestly I didn’t suffer on a treadmill, staring at the wall daily for 8 months to “walk/ hobble” 26 miles for 7+ hours with almost guaranteed of further damage. Subsequently, I pulled the plug at ½ mile of the run, a big shiny DNF.

So, 3 weeks later I’m serving hard time in workout jail after having been tired, convicted of what I can only surmise as overtraining & inconsistency this season. My Achilles doesn’t hurt despite being on my feet teaching all day, only feels “tight” every once in awhile and that could easily be my imagination/paranoia as well. I know it takes a long time to heal but real unsure what my first step is besides rest. With regards to the OS and next season, I feel like I need to be rebuilt with a complete overhaul and take a break from racing. I’m not sure if this would be the best way to progress, or even necessary. I say this because I envision a 5-7ish year goal of going from mid-back of the pack-er Ironman to possible age group contender (eventually for 50-55). I would at least like to see what level I could really push myself to with a long-term goal. Otherwise, I fear being stuck in the same cycle of on-off-on-off, season after season. It wouldn’t be the end-of the world if that never happens but I think it would help with the inconsistency across seasons. My immediate focus for the next year are as follows: Heal, strength training, body comp, TRP and improved bike pace. With that being said, rebuild me :)

see above statement

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P