Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IM Los Cabos Race Plan

Rich Stanbaugh 2017 IM Los Cabos Race Plan 

This will be my 10th Ironman, 2nd time at Los Cabos. 

Weight: 159lbs
FTP: 284w
VDOT: 45ish

2017 has been an interesting year. I've had a lot of fun, but training seems to have been interrupted for one reason or another throughout the season. Leading into IMMT in August, I was finally able to put together about 8 weeks of very consistent training. I felt pretty good physically after that race and signed up for IMLC because it gave me an 11-week block to try to do some good work and because I perennially forget how bad I hate November races!

I broke training into two blocks: The first was targeted at building bike strength while recovering the legs for running and the second was to build stamina on top of the new strength. I documented most of that process in this thread: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23738/stanbaughs-11-weeks-to-imlc#latest

I raced IMMT at ftp 270ish, below my 2016 high of 277 and it was reflected on the run. By the end of September, I felt good about the bike as I completed a 20-minute test at 299w. Running had recovered well; I was hitting 30+ miles per week and averaging between 5-6 days per week with a few of those runs being brick runs off the bike. Swimming is my weakest of the three sports, but I was starting to hit 3+ hours/wk on the Vasa and feeling stronger every day.

Then summer ended and it got dark and cold and I remembered why living in Michigan makes me hate November races.

My focused wavered a bit as I tried to move everything indoors to treadmills and trainers, so I booked a week's vacation to visit my mom in Southern Florida. This was fantastic... Heat Index above 100º every, 4 long rides, two short rides, 6 runs including a long run off the bike... Then I came back to the cold and the dark and have muddled through it all. So - who knows what to expect?!?

Changes for this race:

1. Bike Nutrition: I have been super focused on getting bike nutrition to two full EN bottles of GE and a total of about 530+ cal/hr. The calories are a little higher at the start fo the ride than the end of it. My stomach rebelled at first, but as I became accustomed to it I was finishing long rides with a lot more energy. I put this to the test in the Florida heat and was finishing the rides pretty fresh.
  2. Bike TSS: Even though I've increased my FTP since IMMT, the plan is to ride at similar watts and finish with a much lower TSS. If you believe the new FTP of 284, TSS should be about 240... if you believe the old FTP of 270, TSS should be about 250. In previous races, I have come out closer to 275-280... this should be a noticeable change.
  3. BBS Intervals: I have worked to build a BBS power plan for this race that: 1.) meets my TSS requirements in point 2, and 2.) does not excessively spike the watts. I have loaded the plan into Zwift and ridden it a few times and feel pretty comfortable with it. I also loaded this file into WKO4 to break the ride down (looking at how much work is done at various power levels). The plan looks good!
  4. Running: I haven't done any runs over 2hrs since IMMT. I have spent a lot of time at Target Race Heart rates, I've done some tempo runs and I've done several longer runs in the heat at slightly above race pace.
  5. Heat: This race is going to be miserably hot. It is going to be high 80s / low 90s with 60% humidity. But - I've got a couple tricks up my sleeves. IMLC has a reputation for running out of ice, sports drinks, etc... so in addition to the typical cooling strategies, I bought a case of the chemical ice packs that one gets when they sprain your ankle. I will start with one in my run-saver bag and one to put under my hat. I will put two more in RSN. I tested these bags out in Bikram last week and they stayed cool for more than 45 minutes. I will also put a couple of these in BSN in case it is too hot on the last climbs.

Swim
Just swim straight and get through it. It is going to be a non-wetsuit swim and I struggle with these. But - it is in saltwater, so that should help. I've built some strength on the Vasa, so that should also help. My swim thought (besides Dory saying keep on swimming keep on swimming) will be to keep my butt and legs up.

T1
Will definitely use the showers to get the salt water off. Speed suit under swim skin. Only thing in the bag will be Helmet and belt full of food (and shoes if we cannot leave them on the bike). Considering throwing a bottle of GE in to start the hydration after the swim in 80º water and before the climb to the road.

Bike
It is a pretty steep climb from the beach to the road. Also, from memory, the road is a little rough. Keep the watts down, keep the HR down and don't lose anything / pop a tire. After I get to the road, I'll drive HR down lower and start hydrating. The swim is going to be very warm and expect to be dehydrated more than usual. Will really need to focus on the fluids and the HR during the first hour to make sure that everything is in order. 

My Garmin is setup to show me the BBS Power target and the time to the next segment. I will ride these target providing HR stays in line. I should get on the bike (after a swim) and get HR to settle into upper 130s to lower 140s. Over the course of the ride, HR will drift to upper 140s.

The course is a coastal course with growing throughout the day from calm to ≈9-10mph. It is two loops of a headwind 'out,' a hot climb/descent inland, a tailwind 'back' and another hot climb/descent inland. Depending on the forecast, after setting into the ride, there is a strong argument for pushing a little harder on the first loop than the second in order to be able to ride that hot tailwind at the end of the ride at lower watts / keep core body temps lower.

T2
I'm considering a pair of running shorts and a tech cooling shirt vs continuing in the bike kit. Everything else apart from shoes & socks in a plastic bag. I will be generous with Glide on feet and ankles anticipating that everything is going to get 100% drenched on this run.

Run
This is a 4-loop, mostly flat run. I am thinking of it as 4 10k loops. Loop 1, settle into running and try to get stabilized in the heat. Loops 2-3, race (or survive), Loop 4 do whatever is needed to finish.

I will try to get HR stabilized in lower 140s on loop 1. First priority will be to get hydration going and to get some calories in my body, then getting into a rhythm running. Loops 2-3, HR should grow to upper 140s and approaching 150. Based on experience in Florida heat, I need to cap it at 152bpm until the last lap.

Run Nutrition: With the heat, it will mostly be about hydration. Considering carrying a bottle so that I can 'sip continuously' rather than drink at aid stations. The Athlete Guide doesn't have aid station info yet.. will be a game time decision.

Admin / Setup Items (list in process as I think through/learn more about the race)
Day Before Dressing Bike Setup
Charge Fenix 3 Bull Frog Sunscreen 2x CO2
Charge Garmin 820 Speed suit CO2 Nozzle
Prepare GE Swim Skin Spare Tube
24oz Feeder w/ 12 2oz servings Throw away flip flops Patch Kit with Chain Pin
24oz GE to fill integrated hydration Timing Chip Left Ankle Bike Tool
24oz GE for Pre Race Garmin Tire Wrench
16oz GE for after swim Garmin Tri HR Monitor Chip Tire Boot
Fenix 3 Garmin (on and sleeping)
Flip Flops (throw aways) Elastic band holding feeder bottle
Load Salt Stick Dispenser Sweat pants Salt Stick Dispenser
Load Gel flask w 8x PowerBar Gel Long Sleeve Shirt Baggie with Tylenol etc
Sweat bank on Aero bar
Bike Setup Bag Arm coolers rolled on aero bar
Gatorade Endurance Bottles Tires 100#
Pump Shoes rubber banded to pedals
Gel flask Big chainring / 2nd gear (keep chain on)
Tape SaltStick Dispenser
Garmin 820 Gel Flask
Bike Nutrition
Gel flask
Morning Bag GE in Integrated Hydration
Swim Goggles GE Feeder Bottle in cage
Head lamp Gatorlytes
Chamois Butt'r Salt Tablets in dispensor
Hydration Bottle
Energy Bar
Swim Cap
Swim Skin
Wet Suit
Glide
Can we put shoes on bikes?
Can we put helmets on bikes?
Should I wear Evade helmet rather than Aero?
What to do anticipating wet feet?
Wear race number on bike?
Hydration plan prior to race: 3 bottles GE/day vs using hyper hydration?
T1 Bag T2 Bag Bike Special Needs
Helmet w/ visor Shoes & Socks Chamois Butt'r Packet
Shoes rubber banded together Ziplock bak holding… Ice Pack
Bike Nutrition Belt w Number Race belt with number Tube
8x Honey Stingers Hat CO2
Baggie with Tylenol, salt etc 2x Ice Pack
Gatorlyte
4x Gels
Race Saver w/ ice pack in it
Sun glasses Run Special Needs
Ice pack for hat 2x Ice Pack
Extra Ziplock bag
Banana
Sun screen
Ziplock with wet wash cloth
Glide
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Rich Stanbaugh It was great to see the progress you made in 10 weeks on the bike while following your wko4 thread! 

Just a few thoughts:
    I really believe the work you did on the Vasa is going to pay off on the bike.  Assuming swim skin, your idea to focus on keeping you butt and legs up is great.

If you did not already try taking that many calories on the bike in Florida, I would be hesitant, but it looks like you are all set there.  Your comment of going harder on the first bike loop does not sound right to me.  It sounds like what got you at IMMT (if I remember correctly).  My recommendation would be to stick to your goal watts.

I am interested on how that ice pack works out.  I would also suggest going Patrick Lange style with the sponges if they have them.

Good luck Rich!
  • Options
    Rich,  Impressively hard work,focus and planning. Appreciate you sharing among the various threads. I have learned so much from your analyzing lately. If anything i think that which is  your strength could be also be your weakness. I know you are a student of science, technology, and data, but, Don't be afraid to let er rip based on how you feel :-).  Wishing you good skill in Mexico!
  • Options
    nothing to add, will be tracking you & sending you as much mojo as possible, excited to see the outcome!
  • Options
    Rich, We've got a saying here from our Pro Bowl quarterback, "The separation is in the preparation." I think you've prepared yourself quite well. Do not let your anticipated fears about the environment enter into your emotional data set. Like riding in November in MI, experiencing the heat/humidity in LC should just be background noise, right?

Some time ago (I think before your first IM), an ENer tried that ice pack protocol with good success. Make sure that you use the same ones you practiced with, so you are SURE you can crack them and get them to work.
  • Options
    Looks like you have a pretty good plan. A few things to remember. That climb to the airport is a bitch, and very hot, so save some energy for that on the second lap, but hit it hard on the second lap if you are able to (and not cramp). It's pretty much all downhill back down into transition from the top of that climb so you can get the HR down and do some drinking before the run. Also, the mileage I had last year was only 107. So don't save too much at the end thinking it will be 112. It's still a very hard bike course with the heat, wind, and elevation gains. I rode 5:38 there last year (although I had 2 flats which cost me about 8 min total). I rode KONA this year in 5:23, so I think Los Cabos is actually a tougher course. Have a great day, and do your best to get cooled down early on the run so you don't have to do too much walking like you will see MANY others out there doing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback - this is really helpful!
    @Brian Hagan - yes , I've been practicing those calories and drink volumes since IMMT. Florida was a good chance to see how it worked in the heat and I was good to go. I have some GatorLytes along and will work them in as well. I'm going to go with a 'feeder bottle' for the GE since it looks like they i) don't have GE and ii) sometimes run out fo sports drink on the course. wrt BBS, I hacked the file so that I do not ever exceed 225w - some of those big intervals were too scary.

@tim cronk  - will do my best to stay in the box this time. If I let 'er rip, I'll try to do it on the run rather than the middle 2hrs of the bike like last time  !?!

@Scott Dinhofer - will need the mojo... especially getting through a swim without a wet suit to hold my butt on the top of the water!

@Al Truscott - 1) I've prepped for the heat. 2) No one can really prep for this heat unless they live in it... it is what it is. @Anna Stanbaugh is bringing a big zip lock bag to bring me home in case I melt!

@Michael Collins - Great advice - thank you. My memories of this bike course are that by about 9:30 / 10:00 the sun is incredibly hot, it only gets worse after that and that airport climb is even hotter! Good catch on the 107mi - that is the course that we have been woking from to build the segments. Originally had a 112mi course - 107 is a nice relief on a hard course.
  • Options
    @Rich Stanbaugh - continually leading from the front!!! Thanks for posting this!