Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Craig Watson CoachEN Thread

edited August 6, 2019 5:06PM in Coach*EN 🔒

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes - ADVANCED LEVEL

• Running 3X/wk at 6 miles and 2x/wk at 15 miles
  • Cycling 1X/wk at 50 Miles and 2x/wk for 30 miles

Your Races

• 04/28/2018 Ironman Texas
  • 01/18/2018 Two Day 2X100 mile Charity Rides

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/08/2017 
  • On 10/30/2017 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/4/2018
  • Work In the Century Rides with Coach P
  • On 2/5/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/18/2018
  • On 2/19/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/13/2018

Coach Notes

Here we go...new OutSeason® Plans are live and new EN*Full plan coming soon...let's get to work!!!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Here is your 2019 CoachEN Thread!

*Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More...

I rarely swim and don’t particularly enjoy it nearly as much as bike/run. That said I can go to a pool (and have) and done an 4,000m swim in 50ish mins

Time invested in my swim has historically been low ROI as opposed to the bike and then run

*Your Injury / Difficulty History

Past 4 months has been thoracic pain from biking... have redone bike git, gone to ortho and done PT and is almost all gone when not on the bike

Typically have IT pain later in a running season but so far so good

Had minor heart attack 5 years ago that mentally caused me to stop my racing and rather coach others for their marathons but have had no issues since and does not effect me today

*Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career.

1) Consistency is the key... for the season, the month, and the run/ride as well... no big spikes of power/effort unless in the plan

2) Don’t spike your HR too early as your heart has a generalized governor on it so if you push it too high too early for some silly reason it will easily spike back up to that level as opposed to keeping a uniform progression.

3) It’s your race/workout not anyone else’s so your not racing/working out against anyone else, just you

3+) You don’t Have to do this, you Get to do this

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):

• 2019 IMFL Nov 2, 2019
    • 2020 Disney Marathon/Goofy Jan 2020 (Least important)
    • 2020IMTX Apr 25, 2020
    • 2020 IM Canada Aug 30th, 2020
  • Options

@Craig Watson -

Great to catch up with you today, and nicely done with the Challenge Ride today! 💪

Based on our conversation, here are my notes:

On The Race:

• Last several years had some injury and couldn't race / finish.
    • Goal 1: Get in and have a good race.
    • Goal 2: Put in a solid performance based on fitness (not just recent racing experience).

Scheduling:

• Friday and Sunday in the car 6 hours per day for kiddos. Long runs are ok....usually Saturday is long ride day.
    • The camp weekend Sunday max is three hours... UF.
    • One dedicated swim Monday thru Thursday.

Targets:

• 5 lbs more to lose by race day
    • Run in the 30-35 mpw range.
    • TSS in the 700 to 850 range.
    • Runing 5 to 6 times per week.

Changes to Final Surge

• Moved swims to Mon-Thu where needed, kept them light until the last few weeks.
    • Shuffled WKOs around for monday off, sometimes Friday, or at least OPTIONAL workouts on those days.
    • 9/28 and 10/19 are race simulation days, 10/13 is your longest run day.
    • I presume mid-week intervals and treadmill can be zwift + mill so you can do it as one session and be good.

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

~ Coach P

• Options

I think we're off to a good start! We'll watch day by day and week to week but for now I think it's the right approach... for now, time to go to work out there :)

• Options

Well, where do I begin other than saying that it is time to re-evaluate as we head into the last 9 weeks...

Spoke to you last during my first 120-mile challenge ride and that went very well! Shoulders were a mess afterwards and had seen the doctor and calf was giving me issues following the run-test the week prior but was in good spirits. Rehabbed a little on the calf with lots of stretching and warm-up prior to any runs.

The next few weeks went fairly well but as the calf grew less painful the shoulders came back to beyond painful even when not on the bike and was affecting my sleep. Went back to the doctor and got some Prednisone (anti-inflammation steriod) and Cyclobenzaprine (muscle Relaxer). Should has been getting better and calf had been getting better which allowed me to run .75 miles and walk .25 to keep going until.... this last weekend....

I am not sure if it was the heat (85-93 degrees with real feel of 87-108 by the end), my build-up light fatigue, or the muscle relaxer the night before but the 85-mile ride was just yucky. I had no power to give after 30 miles, was trying to drink but wasn't helping, and just couldn't keep up with the prescribed intervals. I ended up losing 5-6 pounds so not great but not terrible either considering 4+ hours. I chalke dit up to learning and just a bad day but then I had my long run on Sunday. Felt ok but at mile 3 the calf seized and felt like it was going to pull... Walk/ran the rest of the way and it the calf is definitely sensitive today while walking - no more or less than initially but back to worse than it has been for the last 3 weeks.

I am now debating whether to use the day off that is scheduled on the calendar for today or get that one swim a week we discussed. I have two bike sessions, 1 or 2 run sessions this week and then another 6-hour challenge ride on Friday. Currently I am scheduled to take the day off of work to get the 6-hours in but I just hope my body is back to have a great ride.

I am very open to feedback and suggestions. I am keeping positive that I would rather have these issues 9 weeks out than 1-2 weeks prior to the race but also want to make any adjustments as necessary.

Craig

• Options

Craig, sounds like you are being seriously tested right now. TBH, I think the best option for you is to really chill this week Mon to Thu. Easy short aerobic stuff is ok but the goal will be to be "back" on the horse by the weekend (note, that might mean Thu per your schedule).

What I am looking for here is your long swim, long bike and long run to be done this week. This will keep us rolling and allow you to re-build up next week.

I am curious to know if your calf bothers you as much post-bike day as it does on a run-only day. Again, concerned that bike might be aggravating nerve; so "test" that run-only option as you are able!

How can I help you "get through" such a light week?

~ Coach P

• Options

Goodness gracious do days off effect an athlete... i did swim 3200m per the 3000m plan on Monday and other than a few push offs things went fine (you know how much i love the black line swim).

Tues/Weds i have only done stretching and an easy walk in the morning but can definitely still feel the calf... it doesn’t hurt per se but when i push off the balls of my feet things tense up. Its the upper lateral part of the calf which is just a weird placement. I’m going to add some KT tape and see if that helps tomorrow.

I so badly want to do the long challenge 6 hour ride and the long run.... given the hurricane that is heading my way i will take Friday off of work and try a new route to go against the 15 mph winds out and then hopefully at my back on the way home. If things go well enough i will take Saturday off and run in the rain for a long run on Sunday but if i hurt push it to Monday for the long weekend.

I was growing and getting stronger at such a great pace... its frustrating but id’d rather have it now than in 9 weeks before IMFL....

i’m going to move forward with the plan unless i hear otherwise...

Thanks for being a great coach!

Watts

• Options

You are on the right path Watts, and I agree the rest is CRITICAL. Kudos to you actually listening to your body! 👍 Anxious to see the data today, send me a text! (617) 513-3830

~ Coach P

• Options

My big concern is the decreasing power all day. I think that we need to get focused more on re-allocating your power such that you build all day vs drop and then kick it in the last 30'. That said, 120 miles is FOREVER LONG, so I am not trying to be too Rigid.

One main reason why is the Variabilty Index (ratio of Norm Power to Avg Power) which shows how steady you were. As you tire, you get less and less steady (think coasting) and that means you are losing speed.

This is why we recommend an auto lap for 5 miles, with the field being current lap normalized power. This way you are always riding to create the right number.

Here is a totally unfair comparison with an 80 mile ride I did which is way easier to focus on, but you can see the differential in Power distribution over time and the VI data. I provide these as an example of what a power file could look like.

Note, I do EXPECT that your power will drop at the end of an IM. But I don't want it to come with the high VI -- smoother is faster!

Recover well,

~ Coach P

• Options

Ok, long swim last week..... check, 3200m

Ok, long bike.... check, 120 miles and lots of learnings to then see what I can do with whatever you put on the calendar for future rides

ok, long run/walk... check.... and now an update:

Spent yesterday in Normatecs and icing my calf, peroneal and achilles throughout the day. When stretching this morning could feel a very tight line running 2/3rds to the right from lower calf through knee and up into hamstrings. No pain but tight... continued stretching and using heating pad to ensure muscle was definitely warm before the run.

First mile was tender but ok and then seemed to settle in based on being very specific with foot placement. Any toe push off would tighten the calf. Landing too much on the heel would hurt on the outside. As I tried to relax things were ok until mile 5 and full tense/cramp up. Stretched and walked.. The longer the walk stride the more it kept bothering me so smaller strides for the walk. Then would run again and it actually felt fairly good over the course of the next 1/4-3/4 miles and would progressively get worse and edge on cramping. Kept this up at the same time I still saw 170+ bpm which is too high even when barely out there running too far.

Made 10.5 and 2 hrs with this combo. Calf is tender to touch but fine when just lying here. Will ice and rest today and swim tomorrow morning if the gym is going to open pre-hurricane. Lost 8 lbs out there today (with drinking) so working on getting hydrated again.

Long rant I know but unsure of where to go from here... What changes if any should we make to ensure I am whole, strong and kicking butt in Panama City?

Thanks Coach,

Watts

• Options

Thanks for being so patient with the calf...it's the right plan. And I love the self care stuff; gotta keep that up!

I have modified your next two weeks of training to eliminate the "interval" run and space out the long run on Sat and Sun (splitting them up, still back to back) in the hopes that gets us enough running but safely so.

Sound good?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Craig Watson - Just a few thoughts from our call...

Hyper Hydration From Skratch is online here...not sure about the passion fruit flavor but honestly anything with that much salt isn't super yumalicious anyway.

Graston option to add to foam roll; I use this tool with some Free Up lube quite a bit on my calves. It's a bit more than "just" foam rolling as I can adjust the angle of the tool and pressure. Figured I'd pass it along in case.

🔲 Check the bike cleats to see if we can move them backwards (mark them first before moving!).

🔲 Set a 14-day deadline of 9/17 to talk next steps if calf isn't improving.

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

Progress! Not much but progress....

Changes since our call and the hurricane in no particular order...

1) Got to the pool and swam the 4k+ well as opposed to another run.. yes, even I swam another time :)

2) Have been “stretch sock”ing every night and also icing at least one time a day the entire leg and shoulders

3) Bought new bike shoes and aero helmet to inspire me the next 8 weeks... P.S. I LOVE them!!! More to come

4) Based on weather and travel schedule. I moved my long run to Friday and did full long run instead of breaking up as described. Ran/ walked a little for 16 miles. Calf was a 6 out of 10 on sensitivity and cramping but never did a total cramp so became a thightning/high HR decision to walk and rest it out. Not great but progress and I actually feel “good” about it

5) Sick kid who was puking until 2:30 am so no sleep. The long ride was Saturday for 95 miles and WOW, I am feeling more positive. Not for the total ride but the first two hours were in the mid to high 70’s and I wasn’t pushing it and I felt human again. Ironman Human but human nonetheless. I rearranged the ride.. I wanted to get the total TSS prescribed but I wanted to show you increasing power over the ride so went .65 for 20 miles, .70 for 20 miles and then wanted to go .75 for 30 miles and then see from there. Because the course changed and wind changed I kept at .7 for the 30 miles and then the heat came back in the last 90 minutes at 90-95 with realfeel of 100+ .. that seems to be my power breaking point, :( .... That said, 210 TSS, 95 miles, and hope of a less hot day come race day. Either way I will CRUSH whoever thinks they can “out heat” my prep. Wish I actually cared about how others performed against me.

Helmet was perfect fit and ventilation was enough, Shoes are new but set the exact specs of old shoes but 1.5 mm down and now perfectly aligned to the balls of my feet. I also lowered my saddle height by 1.5mm and am not over-toeing my stroke.

Got decent sleep last night and will go to bed early tonight to attempt to overcome the lack of sleep.

I am hopeful... I have never had so many 90-100 miles ride pre-race so that should come in handy. My calf isn’t getting worse... my body is tired but my head is still positive. I think that’s a good place to be.

Thanks coach,

Watt

s

• Options

Press you luck.... Big Money, Big Money, No Whammy

So, last week’s workouts went well with some day swaps with travel. After the hurricane a few weeks ago we had another tropical storm sitting off the coast so made some changes as we were expecting 20+ and heavy heavy rain. Went for long ride on Friday... 50 miles in had an issue with the road (pothole) then messed up my rim bad enough that I blew three tubes and had to call someone to pick me up.

Got home, attempted to fix the rim but to no avail... Decided to just put on race wheels and try and recover (although 2.5 hrs from getting picked up). As soon as I got out there it became torrential rains and I came back in (good too as the race wheels need different brake pads). So, I went upstairs and got the on the train for another bout of fun.

Went for long run on Saturday... Good news is calf pain while running is almost all gone. First 6 miles were ok but felt like on dead legs. Next 6 were rough.. temps getting much higher and needed to run/walk.. losing water like nobody’s business. Problem arose as soon as I started to run even 1/8 mile my HR was shooting skyhigh and redlining no matter how fast or slow. I was also having severe bloating in my upper abdomnials but didn’t feel gassy. Never felt that before. Was happy the calf was ok but the HR didn’t allow me to really run. Last 4 were just a disaster trying to get home. No leg pain until 1 mile left and it almost felt like my glutes just released - weird feeling. As soon as I got home was icing icing and icing. My entire lateral sides of both legs were twitching with slight pains. I was shot and had no energy the rest of the day.

I was feeling down as I haven’t progressed much after trying to let my body recuperate it’s calf. Then I remembered that with 7 weeks left I am not supposed to be feeling good - In fact I know its going to get worse potentially for the next 3 weeks. Got to bed early for a longer attempt at sleep. Been two weeks with very low HR variability and 10bpm higher resting HR. Same thing again last night. Woke up today with not much renewed energy. That said, even though I had planned for a day off I just wanted to get out there to make up the time and TSS lost on the Long ride. I was just riding to hit the TSS and knew it would give me the time. Ride went well (41 miles and 120 TSS) so I haven’t lost anything this weekend.

Still tired and tomorrow is actual day off so hoping my body responds and starts to rejuvenate.

I’m trying to be positive and remember that things happen for us and not to us. I am not actually. “Injured” right now and am just teetering on the edge but considering I was hurt with shoulders and calf I think this is ok. I feel like I am exercising all of the bad things now before race day so race day can go well.

I know I’m on the edge and all were I am supposed to be. I know I should feel tired legs when going up and down stairs. I do want to feel full of energy and ready to take on the day and have another great workout. I also know I need recovery and need to see much higher HR variability and back down to much lower resting HR. This write-up is even more for me than for you coach but please take a look and let me know if there is anything I need to adjust or just stay the course.

Thanks Coach

Watts

• Options

Also, lost 6 lbs on Friday (drank 4 bottles), 11 on Saturday (drank 20 swallows of water from water fountain about every two miles) and 6 again today (drank 2 bottles).... temps over 83 degrees seem to trigger massive exhaustion and sweat loss

• Options

Craig, got the note (thanks for the bump). I really like where you are at. Your prep has been great and I think you Have made great strides.

My recommendations:

We need to get you mondays of for this week and next. You need a rest day. 

In exchange for that rest day we need to keep that long ride going. Ideally you are in Long Ride one day Long Run the next. 

On the long run, can we get you to run "steady" at 145 bpms? I am curious what that run will look like. IOW, I am okay with you pushing pace on brick runs (they are only a few miles, cost not egregious). But the long run of go and stop and go and stop might not — I am not sure — be the best prep for you. What do you get when you run at 145 bpms just steady so you don’t have to slow to walk? I know its not the muscular speed you want, but curious to see what we get in terms of performance. 

No adjustments to this week other than get the rest day in and get that rim back to 100%! Onwards!

• Options

Ok, even more "steady state" progress this past week...

Two good swims and then a wicked windy (17-25mph) ride... really tried to just execute... I wanted the first 30 miles to be at 170 watts and nailed each 5 mile lap, wanted the next 30 to be at 175 watts and nailed each of those) all of those were into the wind and going ever so slowly.... I figured going 25-30mph with a tailwind that needing to push watts was kind of futile when I was already going so fast so made a decision to utilize the timing and allow the next 30 miles to be each Zone 1 stuff (which was the prescription originally anyways)... at 90 miles I wanted to push things a bit harder since it was getting later in the day and much harder... again, direct correlation in my body. Wanted to do 175-180 watts and other than needing to consistently stop at traffic lights things went well. 6 hour ride, 7+ hours out there with wind and heat but in the books

Then the infamous run that you wanted 145 bpms (say what Coach????)... Well, as is usual, you are the man. We were aided by 5 lower degrees and slightly less humidity but first 6.5 miles went right at 145 beats with not a single problem other than my constant watch looking. The next 3 miles were 146-149 which I figured you wouldn't kill me and I really didn't have much choice. the final 3-4 miles were right at 155-160 but you can also see that's where temps were 85+ and I mean it just raises my HR without too much physical effort. Over the year I have learned that each degree over 80 equates to about 2 beats extra for me. Either way, consistent run with no walks, only the ever so slightly calf/peroneal tenderness afterwards so other than a miles less distance I am calling this a major win. It was maddening to shuffle out there at 145 instead of natural form but it worked out very well.

Now for this week... actually had two decent nights of sleep (which has been rarer lately) so feel ok.. I have a week of major work commitments with my entire team from the SouthEast US coming to town for three days of meetings that I am hosting. So I wanted to write this up before I forgot and got on the bike. I am planning on bike today, swim today, run tomorrow and thursday (early morning meetings and late night functions plus hotel bikes not conducive to great intentional workouts) and then since most of the team will fly back on Friday I will again attempt the 6 hr ride on Friday. Good news is winds will be single digits but heat will be 90+ the final two hours. So I am looking for a strong ride and then go pickup my daughter.

Open to any thoughts and feedback as always. Any more ideas for this week's long run?

Watts

• Options

#1 Ride was PERFECTLY executed. Even with the stops (aided by temps I am sure but still, the training effect is there).

#2 I can't say enough about how pumped I am for that run. Sure, I had to make that sacrifice to the run gods but it was totally worth it! 🤣

Look at that Normalized Graded Pace. Practically 2' faster Per mile than your typical long run. 💪 I think this is a fantastic step forward for your training; and the fact you had minimal peroneal issues makes it ten times better. Just a great weekend all around.

I see no changes for this week. Do what you can with your team in town, just something every day. If you were a slacker all week but replicated what you did last weekend i would still be a happy coach.

Have a great week with your team!

~ Coach P

• Options

Ok, we are going with positives and learnings again this week... And, looking for a happy coach which means a happy athlete and good race vibes 😎

Had a few of the team have a flight that got delayed so gave me an extra 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday so... Decided to do Tuesday’s ride and incorporate Thursday’s 4k race swim. The ride went well and the swim was amazing (for me at least)... Just did 4k straight and wanted to swim easy... My best 100m, 400m, 1000m, 1500m, and 4000m for me in quite a while if ever... I won’t be breaking any records but I was pumped and feel good.

Wednesday and Thursday I did morning runs.. Later nights (11pm for me) and a couple of drinks I’m sure had an effect later but generally felt ok through the week.

Friday did my 112 mile race sim and was mostly pumped... mostly... for 15 miles I really countered the hills and kept nice and steady, first 20, 40, 56, and 60 had 170-175 watts nailed and had exact same average watts as I did NP watts so was elated. Miles 60-80 were good and finished with only 1 watt difference. Miles 80-90 started to differ ever so slightly and I started to feel tired. At Mile 90 I didn’t feel like I had much strength (enough to finish yes but no power to draw upon).. It’s also when the hills started ever so slightly and obviously the heat was already 90+ from mile 70 on anyways. At mile 100 I decoupled... Bigger hills (for me) but I was able to handle them and start to push knowing there was only 12 left... At that point obviously my avg and NP came apart to 5 apart and .97 .... Finished well with one of my fastest 112 miles... overall lost 10 pounds again so can’t wait for less heat in the race to really perform well.

So, got showered and hopped in the car for a 6 hour drive to bring Ashlyn back to Orlando. Good rest time but when I got home I could really feel the climb up the stairs.. I’m normally tired after 110 miles but seemed more than normal. While I attempted to properly rehydrate in the car I started the next day still down 5 pounds.

Attempted to do your 145bpm run but it was impossible... I had dead legs for sure and i was there in 2 mins and it would require 10 min miles to get there or even below 150bpm. At mile 6 my legs started to cramp.. not the calf as an injury but literally my quads seized up and kept cramping at any time I started to try running. I walked 5.5 miles more home and called it a day. Had to run errands but was overwhelmed with absolute tiredness. Went to lay down at 6:30pm and the day was over.

Woke up this morning trying to focus on the great ride and swim from last week and glad I am not injured. Drove my 6 hours again and came back to a scheduled massage. I will normally have tight spots and knots to work out but today my muscles were just plain sore. It felt good to have the muscles flushed.. you know that feeling after a workout that pushed you and DOMS has set in? I haven’t had that feeling in years nor do I actually know why I would have that based on the previous few days but am choosing to believe Friday’s ride is making me stronger, right? No? Maybe? Thoughts?

So, less than 5 weeks left and in the strike zone of training... Excited and can’t wait to put this stuff all together and hopefully peak at the right time...

Can’t wait to catch up again,

Watts

• Options

@Craig Watson - So, you did a good job with the week...and the ride was great. But I see the cumulative fatigue combining with that long ride and dehydration really crushing you. Yes, the rides are making you stronger for sure, but we need to stay on top of your hydration (even if it's post ride) so that you can work out at a high level on the other days!

You might want to check out Skratch Hyper Hydration mix (day before big ride, part of post ride recovery) so that you can Prevent/reverse that situation.

We soldier on; just 2.5 more weeks of WORK to do before we can dial it back!!!

Hope the muscles have come around!

~ Coach P

• Options

Doooooode, it’s hot out there and if you can’t this advice for tomorrow...

This week went pretty well.. two good SST rides and another good 4k swim that set another record for me... the runs were ok but my focus has been on long swim, long bike and long run.

Thursday tried to hydrate well... skratch and gatorade endurance plus sipping water. Friday ride started well and I was executing the 170 watts through 30 miles and then 175-180 30-90. Pacing and effort was good but things don’t show well on the numbers after mile 70 (coincidentally also when it was 90 degrees and reelfeel of 97). I made some adjustments ... have been having issues taking in two bottles per hour but always did before until I realized at mile 30 that I have switched to a front aero straw that I sip frequently and used to take a bottle from a cage and drink a 1/3-1/2 bottle every 5 mile lap. I switched and that allowed me to take in 2 1/2 more bottles during the whole ride but needed to make a smart decision as I was seeing 97 degrees feeling like 108 and a heartbeat of 165 which is my absolute bike redline. The last 20-30 miles I focused on “trying” to be consistent but not going above the redline.

Ultimately I still had my fastest 112 in 7 years (by a few seconds) but overheating. I didn’t actually feel horrible but obviously the body was given red flags. I started 3 pounds overweight fueled before the ride and lost 6 total which is the lowest amount for me yet for a total loss of 3 pounds. I spent the rest of the day resting, Normatecing , and drinking. Did another Skratch, gatorade endurance and water, and went to be at 7pm.

Woke up today and felt like I could have a decent run. Went out to keep my hr at 145 but there was no way so decided to try for 150. Stopped at 2, 4, 6 miles to try and keep hr regulated but pace literally needed to be 9:45s was is horrible. No cramping today but hr instantly at 160-165 with rest being run/walk. Got back and lost 6.6 pounds

After I got home I got a message to try and flush the system. Sitting her with Normatec and trying to rehydrate with Skratch, endurance and water. I am contemplating either taking the day off as prescribed tomorrow, doing Tuesday’s 4k swim or maybe even try the run again. I really want to have at least one decent run heading into IMFL. Intellectually I know the lower temps of the race will allow me to do so much more and I am happy overall with the rides (8 100+ mile rides) but want/NEED a good run.

Thoughts?

Watts

• Options

I understand where your head is at but we need to appreciate (A) where your body is at and (B) what great changes you have made thus far.

You running 9:45s in that heat is like falling asleep at sub-9 pace on IM day, without the associated costs. I know that math does little to comfort you, but going again tomorrow is no bueno.

Your body needs a rest day. Two solid weeks, some solid riding (in solid temps) and just a few more key sessions to go. The lessons you have learned on hydration and fueling are epic and are 10x more important than the run.

I recommend a day off with a full night of sleep. Roll over (last time you did that was when????) and be active tomorrow doing something but not real training. This will set you up for a great week...only really 14 more days of work to go!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited October 13, 2019 3:16PM

Let me start by saying two things....1) watched you all day at IMWC and very proud and 2) WooHoo what a few degrees make to me :)

Good swim and SST rides this week. Spent a lot of time hydrating and focusing on sleep when allowed. Too the day before the long ride on Saturday and went into the ride 3.5 lbs heavier (part very late night dinner picking up Ashlyn) and hydration with Scratch and a good amount of water throughout the day. Oh, and the temps were at 70-80 degress from sunrise till about 11am so 80 miles. Had a good ride until mile 90 were I could start to feel the ride come in but I was also pushing higher watts (10-15 higher NP Watts than the last 4 months). I followed my new (actually old) hydration plan of using my bottle cages for fuel and my front end when I ran out so was able to drink 2 more bottles than before, had to pee at mile 20 and mile 40 and just felt good even knowing it should be cooler on race day so ended with a big smile :) I came in only 3 lbs down so essentially exactly my normal weight.

Went into today mentally scared as you have a 3:00 run /18m and I have been struggling with keeping HR down and cumulative fatigue. Also did as much hydration as I could and weather was agin starting at 70 degrees. I was holding back from mile 0-16 and felt good (other than at mile. 2 ran over sand and my ankle rolled and I gat scared as sh!t with my history but was generally find and we shall see later today). Kept HR at 145 for 9 miles and then went 150-155 for 6 but after that it went to 165 and caused issues.

I’m pumped- never felt like I was actually running but given that its my longest run in 2019 and have had such poor runs the last 3 months that I need this. Now, If we could also keep temps down for the race or in fact cool/cold I can crush it... if not, I will manage given my better adaptability than most on the course. I lost 7 pounds on the run given lack of lots of drinking spots (none) so cooler weather and aid stations can only help.

As always, interested in your thoughts :).

20 days until the race.. Any advice on what I should be doing differently? When do we speak again?

Watts

• Options

Interesting week (just like all of them I guess)...

Decent runs and great swim (fastest of all time for me)....

Had so many back to back meetings on Thursday even into the evening that hydration wasn’t my best focus. There has been lots of work stress that bled into the Friday ride as well. Ride was overcast and in the 70’s for the entire ride :) ... Given that temps were nice I decided to do a little testing on my wattage to see how much they were previously being effected by the 90+ degree temps since my early season rides while shorter had much higher power output when I wasn’t focused on a set IF and TSS. I also had to pull over multiple times to take work calls and in fact had to pull over to get interviewed for a position while sweaty and nasty. I was able to finish the ride with NP and avg watts 15-20 watts higher without feeling completely shelved like prior rides.

I had to go into work into the late evening as well which means I didn’t fuel or hydrate truly well so I know this is something to have prime focus on during race week. Didn’t sleep well and we had Tropical Storm Nestor pour down this morning with high 40 mph winds and gusts early this morning. I got on the treadmill for 30 mins and couldn’t face another 90 mins so decided to take it outside. Ran in the storm and while not pretty its at least done. The puddles and rain had an impact on shoe weight and stride. Could feel knee pain after an hour so paid special attention just to get the workout done.

Pretty non-eventful and not a happy weekend but I learned I can go a little higher on the watts but less than I did on Friday. I also learned how incredibly important several days of fueling and hydration will be for the full day race.

Would love to get on the calendar and come up with our proper coach-approved race plan.

Watts

• Options

Next step is absolutely a coach approved race plan. Let’s try and get a call set up for Wednesday, what does your day look like? Really excited to see the Fitness come around at just the right time. Not to mention all the lessons you’ve learned about pacing and nutrition.

• Options

@Craig Watson Some questions for you in order to create your race plan...

• Your current weight
    • Your current FTP
    • Your race set up: what width tires? front wheel is? Rear will is disc? What type of tubes will you use?
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2019 9:58PM

173lbs

250-255 Watts

I will be using either Reynolds AR58 or New Zipp NSW 808s

I race in Continental Attack and Force Tires 700cc 23-25

• Options

@Craig Watson Always good to talk! You are so ready...here are the numbers I mentioned for you on an Average day (Your BBS Split page: https://www.bestbikesplit.com/client/150578)

This translates into:

• 170 NP on the flats
    • 160 NP tailwind
    • 190 NP passing and cross head.

The more aggro version we discussed has these numbers, image below:

• Warm up 160-170 NP
    • 180 NP on the flats for 50 miles
    • 165 NP tailwind section
    • 155 NP cool down.

Looking forward to seeing those final workouts roll in! 💪

~ Coach P

• Options

So, the tale of Ironman Florida 2019 is not necessarily interesting per se but is one that I a proud of but more importantly learn from. Far from my first IM but one of an IM rebirth for me to set me up for the next chapter of my training progression.

Was good with nutrition and hydration for two days prior and was peeing constantly. Followed through with sipping throughout the morning and peed right before the beach.

Wave swim starts often seem like a good idea but it just means a constant flow of people for 1.5 miles. I seeded myself properly but started at a time much later than when it would be age group starting. Started off with that long 70 meter walk via low time and began swimming. First two minutes were great and I actually thought this might be my second best swim (my PR will always be IM NY when I swam in the Hudson swimming with the current 😎). Then.... then.... I got hit with slight panic (Seems to happen in first 10 mins of every swim) where my HR spiked to 175 and I just couldn’t get it down even floating on my back etc. Held on to a kayak so slow down the breathing and wasted 5 mins. I went back to swimming and two mins later the same thing happened right when I got stung by a jellyfish on my lip. I was about to throw in the towel on the day and quit and am so glad that to this day I haven’t done it. It cost me another 5 mins of 160-170 bpm. Held onto a boat and reminded myself why I was racing and that I get to do this! I sang “what a beautiful morning what a wonderful day” and relaxed into The rest of the 3000 meter swim. Not even close to by best swim but happy I didn’t give up and overcame the obstacle. Was only able to breathe on my right side to keep my HR down so felt slight pulling on my left ab but all was good. Finished in 1:33

Longer transition due to longer distance and putting on so much extra clothing for the 48 degrees and 12-15mph winds. Calf guards, arm warmers, long sleeve cycling jersey for another layer and makeshift gloves.

I was so happy to be on the bike and she sounded so stealthy I was loving to cool weather and passing people for the ENTIRE ride. Followed through with the McCrann/Watson aggro approach to the day and executed wattage to the lap. First 12 miles moderately easy At 165-170 and then 56 miles of 180 work against the wind or cross winds. Was drinking like plan with 2-3 bottles per hour which was soooo frustrating because I had to stop at mile 40 to pee and that cost me 4-5 mins as I review the ride and then again at mile 55 for another 4-5 mins and then at mile 90 on the path so only cost me 1 min. Couldn’t pee while riding as people were too close so as not to pee on them. So I was hydrating, I was sticking to the wattage plan and then mile 68 came and it was glorious. Tailwind and able to drop wattage way down to 155-165 and was still just flying by people while my power and HR took a major break and set me up for the run. Aid stations were used for stretching and other than slight tightness on front left hip flexor things were amazing! I have never had such a smooth and consistent IM ride where my body was really good and even better my head was totally in the right place and I was beyond ready for a great ride and day. Finished the ride in 5:41

Felt good in transition and things were smooth. Went out on the run course and really worked to keep to keep HR down to such low cycling HR of 135. Mile one was good and then it hit me. My lower back seized up so tight it stopped me in my tracks. I walked a bitand then tried running slowly again. The back seized up again and again and again especially on even moderate uphill. So when I walked I race walked at 12:50 miles and as soon as the back wasn’t just crushing me I went back to running/jogging. Did this the whole was. I was taking my nutrition cue... Tried stretching to no avail and only time things got better was ever so slightly after eating a banana as well as the Base salt on the course so I did that a few times. I also felt aa bit better getting into the port o let and peeing. I kept doing the math and even though 12 hours is no way close to a PR I desperately wanted to get that time with what happened. I kept the run/walk and figured at mile 20 I had nothing to lose - I was going to finish no mater what-so it wouldn’t matter if everything was going to seize and hurt. I finished the last 4 miles averaging 8:30 pace and was happy I was running better and I could suck it all up and finish running. Finished the run in 4:24

Finished the day in 11:54

Might have been the wrong way but I negative split each leg of the race. Swim because I settled in, bike because of the winds and conditions and run I just kept getting a little aster throughout.

Have NEVER had my lower back hurt much less seize up so I need to figure that out. Tweaked from the swim? Didn’t feel it on the bike and while aero the whole way I still took moments to stretch and felt great.

IMTX ahead of me and am prepared to get better in each discipline. Back is killing me today but I’ll take it as legs feel fresh.

Help me Obi-Wan Patrick, you’re my only hope on race diagnosis.

• Options

Thank you so much for the detailed report.I will be looking at your data today and will get you some more information!