Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Daniel Molina Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Coach P, I'm coming off IMAZ with my slowest time (12:04) in past 3 years (11:15 and 11:04). My fitness was affected by injury (concussion and broken ribs) after crash at Redman 70.3 in late September. I'm below average swimmer (1h 27min PR for 2.4 miles), stronger bike FTP 260-290, average run (4hr 2min PR for IM 26.2). 2018 plan is Oklahoma Memorial Half Marathon on 4/29/18, Lake Placid Training Camp 6/21-24/18, IMLP on 7/22/18 (second time, last done 2016), Redman 70.3 on 9/22/18, and IMAZ (5th consecutive time) on 11/18/18. For IMAZ I'm looking for a solid sub 11, with a stretch goal of sub 10. Sorry for all the detail.

Your Races

• Oklahoma Memorial Half Marathon on 4/29/18

• Lake Placid Training Camp 6/21-24/18

• IMLP on 7/22/18 (second time, last done 2016)

• Redman 70.3 on 9/22/18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017

•  11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017

• 12/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/21/2018

• 1/8/2018 Load the Advanced OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018

• 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018

• 4/30/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 7/22/2018

• 7/23/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/19/2018

• 8/12/18 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 9/22/2018

REST WEEK!

• 9/30/2018 Load the -- EN*FULL BIKE FOCUS PLAN to end on 11/18/2018      

Coach Notes

Thanks for the information! I'd like you to recover with the Run Durability Program now (build the run) and enter the Jan OutSeason Plan (build run even more). We can work in the 13.1 over Swim Camp and then look for you to work into the EN*Full Plan

With your FTP, the keys are body comp [weight in LBS divided by height in inches should be around 2.5] and run durability. You'll get faster will more frequent runs, even the short easy ones...I swear! 

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

Comments

• Options
    This looks great Patrick.  I'll set those plans and work on the body comp, using the head or tails to keep me honest.  I'm looking forward to the Lake Placid camp.  I'm not sure if you noted, but I will have IMAZ on the calendar again at the end of my year.  It wasn't on the acknowledged in your feedback.  Was that on purpose?
  • Options
    Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the results.

I didn’t put Arizona on there for now as it’s a long way away. Let’s see how you get through Placid which is the primary focus and then we can make adjustments as needed!
  • Options
    Hey Coach P!  Thanks for the mojo on the second loop at IMLP and checking in at the finish, because it always means a lot.  The race report has been submitted for tons of detail, but as a summary I had good race execution that allowed by race-self to honor my training-self.  My take aways for biggest areas of improvement were: missing the EN IMLP camp, improving body composition (8-10 lbs low for race weight; raced at 185 at 71 in tall) and bike power was lower than historically for me (FTP 250 vs FTP 280-300).  You asked that we check in after IMLP to look at the rest of the season and confirm our season plan, taking IMLP results into consideration.  This is what is left for 2018:

Redman 70.3  on 9/22/18

IMAZ 70.3 on 10/21/18  (Low priority race.  I'm having second thoughts about this one.  My wife Jasmine is doing this race as her second 70.3 ever and she talked me into joining her.  Maybe I might be better as a sherpa and earning major SAU with her.  It sure sounds like I'm looking for your blessing here to pass on this as a race doesn't it?) 

IMAZ  on  11/18/18

Thanks for the feedback coach and getting me through another IM!
  • Options
    @DANIEL MOLINA - yes, let's drop the 70.3 and be the super sherpa...really make it special for her, so cool. 

I have amended your plan ^above^ so reflect the IMAZ selection.

I think we have a chance here to lock in some of your lessons learned from LP, specifically: 

• Body Comp...what can we do nutritionally to get you on track? 
    • Focusing on Mid Week intervals (2 x intervals) and just keeping the weekend ride super easy....this will let you get stronger without the cost of riding hard AND long.
    What do you think? If you are in Final Surge, I can help make some edits or a template week. 

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options
    @Coach Patrick thanks for the feedback.  I've noted your changes and should set myself up on Final Surge.

I like the concept of the mid week intervals.  Just being a self-experimenter by nature, I looked back at what I was doing when I had my FTP in the 290+ range a couple of years ago now.  I am a big fan of the Sufferfest platform, and I was religiously doing "Extra shot" which was a 20 intense. just above threshold ride.  I was doing it almost daily, more as a routine first thing in the morning.  I think it's the same concept you're suggesting. 
  • Options
    I agree.  One of the benefits of doing that higher intensity work is that they not only makes you stronger but it also accelerates burning calories as well. The double whammy. 

Is that something you want to do twice a week? I want to make sure that I’ve got you set up with the right work that’s going to motivate you. Let me know.
  • Options
    Indeed, this is something I want to incorporate twice a week.  I think any strategy that generates strength and increases calorie burning is a win for me, and thus a motivator.  Let's do this!
  • Options
    @DANIEL MOLINA - done and added to Fridays. Took out a swim (not worried about that!) and also moved plan "forward" a day as you set it to end on a Saturday which threw the week off. I have adjusted that race week for you to make it a Saturday focus. 

Onwards!

~ Coach P
  • Options

@DANIEL MOLINA --

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Sorry to hear about AZ...but it was a LONG YEAR BROBEANS! I think you need to make sure you are recharged...so giving you plenty of time between now and Jan OS.

The goal of the OS isn't lifetime bike strength (we can aim for that in that phase 4 weeks of the OS) rather it's consistency of training. You need to get the frequent runs and rides in such that you are a machine. This is what will make you strong and lean along the way.

To put it another way, I don't want you to work super hard in the first part of the 2019 OS as you'll still be building up.

The OS will have you ready for the OKMHalf, so no worries there. Once the warmer weather hits, we need to have you outside and doing some early bike volume weekends to transition your OS work into IM work. Maybe find a May/June Century or similar event you can piggy back on? Let me know!

Your Races

• 04/28/2019 (Running) Oklahoma Memorial Half Marathon
    • Ironman Canada (2019-07-28) #IMCanada_19   
    • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMArizona_19   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/28/2018
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 4/29/2019 Load the EN*Full Run Focused to end on 7/28/2019
    • On 7/29/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/25/2019

Your Notes

Hey Coach P. I just wrapped up IMAZ with my all time slowest race there (5th consecutive year) 12:28. My fastest has been 11:04, two years ago. For this year body weight (172 vs 190) was up and bike fitness was down (FTP 290s vs 230). Not proud of that but eager to improve. Did IMLP in July with time of 12:34, was (180 lb and FTP 255). Ready to hit the off season and rebuild my bike to historic levels and build some run durability.Current fitness is intermediate for me. Like I said, just finished IMAZ a week ago. And will be loading up the post IM plan. I hate that I just clicked on intermediate, since I know that I am capable of a solid sub 11 time, but I want to be realistic and overachieve. Plan for 2019 is Oklahoma Memorial Half (want to PR), IM Canada and IM Arizona.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach P,

Thank again as always for you insight. I agree that 2019 seemed like an incredibly long season, and a mental clearing was/is needed. Excited to transition in a good way!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 04/26/2020 (Running) Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon
    • Ironman St. George - North American Championships (2020-05-02) #IMSG_20
    • Ironman Arizona (TBD) #IMAZ_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on December 09, 2019
    • 12/9/2019  Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/5/2020
    • 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020
    • 2/3/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  5/3/2020
    • 5/4/2020  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on  8/9/2020
    • On 8/10/2020  Load the    EN Full Run Focused to end on  11/22/2020
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  12/20/2020
    • On 12/21/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/17/2021
    • On 1/18/2021  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  2/14/2021
    • On 2/15/2021  Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  3/14/2021

Your Notes

I am fresh off of IMAZ. This was a tough year, with some medical diagnoses out of my control, including a heart work up that resulted in a diagnosis of Endurance Heart Syndrome. My cardiologist is an avid triathlete and has raced Kona so we worked very closely through this along the way. Everything happened to me in July, so I wasn't cleared to do IM Canada and my fitness nose dived, as this was required by my cardiologist. I ended up getting a clearance to resume training, with bottom line risk that I have a 7% chance to sudden cardiac arrest. Sitting on the couch is a higher chance of slow cardiac death in my book, so resumed training in October and muscled through IMAZ with a 12:22 (which included an 80 minute mechanical on the bike). Ready for a better 2020!!!I've been following the EN Outseason Plan, followed by Run Durability Focus, then IM Race Prep through EN for the past 5 years.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks for the feedback Patrick! I'm digging the video response, cool deal. Can't wait to see you and the crew in St. George.

• Options

Thanks man I really appreciate it! Have a great holiday and I look forward to seeing you in May too!