Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Kori Martini's 2018 Coaching Thread

Hi there!
I've been doing an unofficial version of Run Durability for the past 5 weeks....I'm heading into week 6 now. I've stayed consistently at 30 miles per week and everything feels great. Paces are improving at similar HR as well.

I haven't swam in a couple months, but I did this same thing last year and was able to re-start swimming in Feb and still have a 1:07 swim split in Canada, so I'm not worried about that. Unless you think there's a need for me to restart swimming sooner?
I'm biking only 2-3 times a week for a total of about 3-5 hours/week right now.

Next year will likely be IM Canada again and potentially IM Wisconsin too. Yes, the knee is feeling great.
(Stem cell therapy takes up to a year to actually show significant improvement. I hit the one year mark about a month ago, so I was definitely jumping the gun last year hoping for accelerated improvement.)

I know I will have many more questions as the season takes shape, but for now my plans are such:

Team Betty Training Camp (March 8-10)
BRC Camp
Al T Camp
IM Canada (July 29 - ON my bday)
IM Wisco (not 100% sure yet)

I'm wondering what I should look to do in December....stay with 30/week and my current schedule? Increase? When should I start OS? Anything else I should note?
Thanks and hope you are doing well!!
K

Comments

• Options
    @Kori Martini -  thanks so much for checking in. It’s great to hear the progress you’re making. Very exciting and certainly bodes well for this upcoming season.

I love you at 30 miles a week. That’s a fantastic number which will be a good base for you. I see zero need to change it for December. If we want to add anything, perhaps we extend one or two of those weekend rides.

By one or two I mean every other weekend maybe ride three or four hours instead of just two. We want a little bit of stress but not a ton. Maybe we will even get you on Zwift at some point?
    I agree that your son will be 100% fine. Maybe if you don’t want to bike more you can add a little upper body strength work as an addition to your spin class days? I’m sure your body will respond to it pretty quickly so it’s not like this is a big time commitment for you.

In short, you are in a fantastic place and I’ll be want to do is keep this rolling as long as we can into January… When you start the out season on January 8!

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback on the current situation! 

For planning purposes, and considering the new 2018 OS plans, can you steer me in the right direction for which one to use? I would like to challenge myself, but I am not sure which discipline to focus on. I would like to maintain my run durability but start to build back some of that bike power I seem to have misplaced over the last couple of months. I apparently left it at the top of the final Hincapie QOM.....haven't seen it since.  :wink:

Zwift account is created, and the training room remodel is being finished this weekend, so I hope to join some group rides soon. I'm sure I missed info somewhere....is there a set schedule when you folks ride? We were hit by a massive snowpocalypse here so the Fire Dept is on OT and my attempt at joining your Zwift call kinda didn't happen. Can you point me to a forum post or recording where I can get more info? Appreciate ya.
  • Options
    @Kori Martini no worries...it’s all recorded in the Resources > Wiki > Bike page in the Zwift section. :)

i like you in the Run Focused OS plse; the bike will come back without tooo much work on it. I promise. Worst case, we “fix” it with the Camps. 

Best place ace for a schedule on Zwift is our GroupMe (muting recommended: You’re invited to my new group ‘EN Zwift Chat (PSA)’ on GroupMe. Click here to join: https://groupme.com/join_group/29902223/tGK5OF 

races during the week, 10am Sat and 8am sun (est) seems to be the regular way but groups form all the time in the chat. 

Looking forward to seeing you in there. 
  • Options

@Kori Martini

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Ok, here we go...I think we move to the Bike Focus plan...amended for Mallorca and whatever trips you come up with (let me know)...and then into the Full plan. You are well on your way, but this next few weeks is a great chance to boost the bike stuff. Let me know if you need help with Final Surge Stuff...once you load the plan I will make some edits.

In the short term, it would be nice for you to get in double ride weekends in the "combined" 4.5 hour range. 2.5+2 or 3+1.5, etc. Deal?

Your Races

• Ironman Lake Placid (2019-07-28) #IMLP_19
    • Ironman Wisconsin (2019-09-15) #IMWI_19
    • Hincapie Gran Fondo October 19, 2019

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/15/2019
    • On 3/11/2019 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 4/21/2019
    • On 4/22/2019 Load the    EN<em>Full Bike Focused  to end on 7/28/2019
    • On 7/29/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/25/2019
    • On 8/5/2019  Load the  -- EN</em>Full Run Focused to end on 9/8/2019
    • On 9/9/2019  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/6/2019
    • On 10/7/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/3/2019

Your Notes

I’ve done a lot of racing. :-)

I’m kinda fit. :-)

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Kori Martini Note I have updated the plans to be Bike Focus through Camp and Bike Focus Full through Placid!! 👍