Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Justeen Paul Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Currently I have been in run durability phase and running 4-5 days per week now at 15 miles per week. I have increased now from 10 to 15 miles per week. I am doing some *minor strength (30 min per week) light weights for upper body and stretching/yoga. 

Your Races

• 06/10/2018 Esprit de She in Naperville, IL 
  • Ironman 70.3 Muncie (2018-07-14) #703muncie_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

Last updated by Coach on 12/11/2017

• On 12/11/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/7/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Beginner Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 06/10/2018
  • On 5/28/2017 Load the Beginner EN*Half to end on 09/19/2018
  • On 9/20/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/3/2018
  • On 10/4/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/31/2018

Coach Notes

Ok, thanks for the Season stuff...time to transition to more bike/run...and to train with an eye towards the OutSeason®. You'll start the OutSeason Plan on 1/8, and drive that into Swim Camp. Then a brief detour to build bike fitness (we'll swim here to have you Esprit ready) and then on to the EN*Half Plan  plan. Going to be a great year!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Coach P!
    I'm looking forward to this race year! 
  • Options

@Justeen Paul --

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Justeen, Super excited to have you back on track, and seeing your eyes towards the future. Before I get too specific with individual workouts, given your current situation I'd like to connect with you on the phone to make sure I'm giving you the best possible guidance. I don't want to misconstrue anything by just typing.

Here's a link you can use to a call: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min if you don't have any times that work for you, please let me know!

My guess is that your program is going to have to be highly dependent both your adherence to your physical therapy protocol as well as avoiding any significantly jarring activity. Clearly this is not something we want to go through again.

Your Races

• 07/14/2019 IM 70.3 Muncie
    • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/14/2018
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 4/29/2019 Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 07/14/2019
    • On 7/15/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 07/28/201
    • On 7/29/2019 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/24/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/22/2019

Your Notes

I completed IM Muncie 70.3 in July 2018 , had surgery the next week and just getting back into fitness and riding my indoor trainer a couple weeks ago. No running since. I am in PT for my degenerative disc/cervical spine issues and finishing that up in Jan 2019.I just started on the indoor trainer doing about 30min 3 days a week and 90 min ride once a week.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Justeen Paul Thanks for the call!!!! Great to get some real info on where you are at.

Here are my notes for you:

First, let's remember that ride frequency matters...you are at About three rides per week...so here's what I am thinking for you:

• 12/24: 3 rides
    • 12/31: 3 rides
    • 01/07: 4 rides
    • 01/14: 3 rides
    • 01/21: 4 rides
    • 01/28: 4 rides

I like the FatBike ride on the weekend, and encourage it. If you could go M/W/F for the ROUVY rides, then your can FATBIKE as you like. Might be some nice variety if the weather is playing nice.

Second, remember that sustained time on your feet is also important. So this could be walking on the other days, or longer hikes on the weekends (when weather permits). I encourage you go log this in strava (use your Garmin?) even if you think it's not worth it. This stuff is all bonus, so you do it when you want to do it...no need to have a schedule per se.

All the miles count, and it would be nice to see you building something over time towards that "I get to run" date!!

Sound good?

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thank you Coach. This all sounds good to me. I will make sure all workouts are uploaded to Strava. I use my Garmin every day so it makes it easy.
    Thanks again,
    Justeen.
  • Options

Great!! Happy New Year 🎊🎈🎆

• Options
    Thank you, Happy New Year!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Muncie (2020-07-11) #70.3Muncie_20
    • Ironman Arizona (TBD) #IMAZ_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on November 29, 2019
    • ✅ On 12/1/2019 Load the    Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 12/28/2019
    • ✅ On 12/29/2019 Load the    Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 1/25/2020
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020-
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 7/12/2020
    • On 7/13/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/26/2020
    • On 7/27/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 9/6/2020
    • On 8/24/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/22/2020
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/20/2020
    • On 12/21/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/17/2021
    • On 1/18/2021 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/14/2021
    • On 2/15/2021 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 3/14/2021

Your Notes

I have completed 4 Ironman 70.3 races (Augusta, Racine, Muncie , and Ohio). All around 7 to 7:30. I have raced in 5 full Ironman races. 2014 IMWI 17:03 (just missed cutoff) , 2015 IMCHOO DNF, 2016 IMCHOO 15:50, 2017 IMWI DNF, 2019 IMAZ DNF

I struggle with open water swimming (sighting and staying course, panic) and on bike nutrition that ends up throwing off my whole run. Just competed in IMAZ so fitness level is high right now. I sustained an avulsion fracture in two places in my ankle 6 weeks ago. After a week i was able to get on the indoor trainer and pool but not much running. Only walking. I am back running a little.

I do all of my bike training on an indoor smart trainer and Rouvy Virtual rides. I only have a lap pool for swim training.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thank you so much!! I see the video but there is no sound. Is there a way to re send it? I have tried on my computer and phone to see if either made a difference.

• Options
    JP -

Just want to check in and see how things are going for you for the holidays
    and into the new year. Sorry about that video problem we had back in the
    day, but I want you to know that despite my technical errors I’m here to
    support you! Drop me a note when you can.

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Justeen Paul Happy new year! Let’s get to work…

• Options

Happy New Year!!

• Options
    Same to you! Let’s make it a great one. 👍
  • Options

Hi Coach!

I sent a message in the monthly check in but wanted to make sure I sent a message here. I just had knee surgery, Meniscus Repair, so I am out for sure 3-4 months in recovery. I still am not weight bearing at all and in PT. I deferred my entry to IMAZ 2020 to 2021 so that will be my plan. I am not looking to be able to run until March. Hopefully bike sooner in Nov. Is it possible for me to take a break or temp suspend my membership for a couple months. And if so since my husband and I are on the couples plan will that affect his fees?

thanks

Justeen

• Options

@Justeen Paul - hey!! Forums first, check in laters..so THANKS for double posting. SORRY to hear about the knee, but hope you will be strong in all the broken places. Yes, you can take two months right away...I will have have Brenda reach to you to make it happen. And now, your hubs is 100% safe!!!

What does your recovery timeline look like for PT, etc?

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I am in PT once per week for the first four weeks then twice per week for 4 more then re evaluate. I should be out of the brace in a couple more weeks. I have most my work at home doing my therapy 3 times per day and ankle flexes and quad flexes every hour. I am in a locked brace with 90 degree bend max when not walking. And I am at up to 50% weight bearing on my right leg. Because it was a meniscus repair it will be slow.

• Options

@Justeen Paul Hey, it's been a few weeks by now. How are you progressing? Will you be able to trick-or-treat at 100% 🤣?? Seriously though, please get me an update, and feel free to schedule a call with me when you think you are close to getting back to activity: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

• Options

Hi Coach!

lol definitely may have candy 🍬

So I am weaning of my crutches and knee brace now in PT with the goal of next week without both and at 100% weight bearing. Still limited activity and 50% weight bearing but getting there. My PT is planned through the end on November at this point. They wont let me on the bike stationary until i have been full weight bearing for at least a week and my range if motion is beyond 90%. Hopefully by end if month.

• Options

@Justeen Paul - sounds like you and I or two of a kind. I think you should definitely play up the injury so that all the candy is delivered to you. Even if you're healthy by then! 🤣 Seriously though, that plan sounds good. I am glad to hear that you have really been working the rehab...

Can't stress enough how effective it is of getting back on track missing sessions or stopping early or getting the rails can do session back.

Remember you have a great deal of fitness infrastructure already in place so your body is prepared for this level of work. I can't wait to see a picture of you on a bike‼️ 👍

~ Coach Patrick