Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Kyle Kolquist Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Been just casually running and biking. 3-5 times per week. Struggled with a hamstring injury last year and am hoping it gets better. Almost there, but not quite. 

Your Races

• Escape From Alcatraz, 6/3/2018 
  • Ironman Chattanooga (2018-09-30) #IMChatt_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/18/2017
  • On 12/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/14/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner (Intermediate Option) OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 06/10/2018
  • On 6/11/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/24/2018
  • On 6/25/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 11/18/2018
  • On 11/19/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/30/2018

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/rxtvo14165?embedType=iframe&amp;seo=false&amp;videoFoam=true&amp;videoWidth=400&nbsp;

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

2019 Season Road Map

IMWI 70.3 June 9 (B Race)

Grandma's Marathon June 20

Lifetime Tri Minneapolis July 13

IMAZ Nov 24 (A Race)

• Options

Is this where I post and get my season road map for 2019?

• Options

See post from Nov 26 with my races

• Options

@Kyle Kolquist you are supposed to post races here: http://bit.ly/yourraces

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 5:27PM

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I agree...you are ready! Will be nice to see how you perform on a flat course for both the Bike and the Run, you sure do like those hills! 🤣

I see the year as split into two different focuses -- Running Early, Biking Later.

I'd still like to see you maintain the run you've built in the second half of the year using frequency (you'll have done quite a bit of run volume for the Marathon). The main focus will be on building / using the bike for fitness, but let's not lose that run!

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin (2019-06-16) #70.3WI_19
    • 06/22/2019 Grandma's Marathon
    • 7/13/2019 LifeTime Triathlon
    • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/22/2018
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the    EN*Half (Run Focused) to end on 06/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the last Week of the Marathon plan to taper into Grandma's on 6/23 (modify for race date)
    • On 6/24/19 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 7/7/2019
    • On 7/1/2019  Load the    Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/14/2019
    • On 7/15/2019 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 8/25/2019
    • On 8/26/2019 Load the  -- EN*Full Run Focused to end on 11/24/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/22/2019

Your Notes

• 2015 IM Canada and IM Lake Tahoe,2016 IM CDA, 2017 IM Lake Placid, 2018 IMCHOO
    • 2-4 workouts per week since IMCHOO. I did Run Durability for one month in NovemberRunning and biking 2-4 times a week. I'm ready to get going

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Coach P. I noticed that One race was missing. I’m doing IM 70.3 Wisconsin on June 9. Do we want to alter this plan? We probably need to a bit. Sorry!

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 5:28PM

Ok, totally updated for you now!!! Sorry for the confusion!

~ Coach P

• Options

Where do I find the updated version?

• Options

Sorry for the confusion! It’s up at the top of this thread, I simply updated the guidance to include the 70.3 and transitioned you out of the outfield in a little earlier to accommodate the change. Just scroll back up to the top of it and you’ll see it. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Options

Racing with you tomorrow at IMAZ. Godspeed! I just uploaded my season roadmap for 2020. I thought I already did it a few weeks ago...anyhow, let me know if you got it. I posted IM St. George as my “A” race, but I have to add IM WI 70.3 on 6/14/2020. And also a 50K on 8/14/2020.

• Options
    I saw your note, and I replied to you yesterday from the plane. I want to
    learn more about what went down for you on race day and how that factors
    into our future plans together. Keep me posted!
  • Options

I got a solid six mile run in yesterday. My stomach is feeling better and my appetite is back. Hopefully start training soon.

• Options

Btw, how do I get rid of this silly picture of me at the bottom of my post????

• Options

@Kyle Kolquist - I have removed the picture, you are safe now!!!!

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman St. George - North American Championships (2020-05-02) #IMSG_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on November 08, 2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  12/8/2019
    • On 12/9/2019  Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/5/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/12/2020

>> Transition Early << 

• On 2/10/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  5/31/2020

Your Notes

Racing IMAZ this weekend planning on taking it slow for a couple of weeks before starting to train again for St. George

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Crazy times. Here is my updated race schedule:

IM WI 70.3 June14

Marquette 50K August 15

IM St. George September 19

• Options

@Kyle Kolquist - crazy times indeed! Hard to stay on top of everything, but here's a path I think that will make sense for you to move forward on. Essentially what we're gonna do here is training for the half, jump into a run focus plan for a bit, and then exit into the full Iron Man plan. That will give you a run focus block that is ultra specific but still allow you to train as a multi sport athlete.

In the event that the 70.3 is canceled, you can and that according to the timeline where the ultra plan would normally begin and pick things up there. Essentially each of these plans will be a steppingstone to the next. I have lined it up so that you'll be exiting some early but she does earlier races be canceled, you were just follow the starting date of the next plan as the official start.

• On 3/23/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  6/14/2020
    • On 6/15/2020  Load the  -- UltraRun 50k Plan, Beginner/Intermediate [12 Weeks] to end on  8/16/2020
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 7/12/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  9/20/2020
    • On 9/21/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  10/4/2020
    • On 10/5/2020  Load the  -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/1/2020

Adjustment Notes

• ** note if the 70.3 is cancelled follow the 70.3 plan to 5/24 and then load up the 50k plan to start on On 5/25/2020.
    • ** note if the 50k is cancelled exit the 70.3 on 6/28 and load the Full plan to start on 6/29 for IMSG part deux.

• Options

@Kyle Kolquist - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Super hard to tell whether not you're gonna be racing this season, as you know. So much is changing right now. I think the work you're doing is really important from a macro level perspective. You're building a fitness that we need to not only be successful in the short term, but that will help carry your overall progression into the future. The key is making sure you have the right motivations in place so the decisions you're making on a daily basis or healthy.

If you find yourself starting to get worn down, or if motivation becomes an issue, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm here to help walk you through some modifications as needed to keep you on track.

Stay healthy!

~ Coach P

As a reminder, Kyle Kolquist Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: To know whether or not I’m racing IM St George

Extra help request: Keep up the good work