Home Coach*EN 🔒

Shannon Ueunten Official Coach Thread

edited January 2, 2018 6:27PM in Coach*EN 🔒

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

After my last Ironman July 2016 I have not been doing much at all! I am just now getting back which feels like starting from zero 

Your Races

• 10/07/2018 Ironman Barcelona 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/02/2018   
  • On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018
  • On 1/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/25/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 2/5/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Follow L1 Workouts) Plan, 14wks to end on 5/13/2018
  • On 5/14/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 5/27/2018
  • On 5/28/2018 Load the Beginner Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/8/2018
  • On 6/18/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Full to end on 10/7/2018
  • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/4/2018
  • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018
  • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018

Coach Notes

Shannon, sorry this took so long to get to you....crazy holidays!  The best way to get restarted is on our Run Durability Program, where you can join the Run Durability on GroupMe for accountability and fun. You'll do this for five weeks and then exit early into the Beginner OutSeason Plan where you'll follow the L1 workouts. Two weeks of recovery in Swim Camp before the Bike Focus Plan (maybe a local century?) and then into the actual EN*Full Plan

Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

Comments

• @Shannon Ueunten - Great to have you back on the Team!!!! The guidance for IMBarcelona is still as listed above...the only difference is that you are closer to race day. Once you get connected to FinalSurge we can post your plan and start training...in the meantime, please set up a coach call with me when you get the chance ( https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min ) This will allow us to catch up and get you on the right track ASAP.

~ Coach P
  • @shannon Ueunten - so good to talk with you today...thanks for making it happen!!! So here are my notes for you: 

• I added mileage to the Saturday Bike Rides so you can see the targets. 
    • I adjusted the first week of your travel; remember not worried about the swim. If you can only do one session a day, keep all the bikes and run on the other days and forget the swim stuff. 
    • I would like to add a longer brick run to Sundays and have you take Mondays off entirely. If you are okay with this please let me know. This is a common slower runner strategy. 

Your Homework

• I want you to work towards a 4/1 run walk now in the second run. By August you should be close to a 5/1. Sept is 7/1, and in Oct we should finish with 8/1 or 9/1. If you can move faster than that trend line, go for it. 
    • I'd appreciate a picture of you on your bike so I Can see the set up (and your fit). 
    • Unrelated to you/me is you working with Sheila on the new nutrition stuff. Keep me posted. 
    Chat soon!!!

~ Coach P

Ps you can book your call for me when you get back from vacation online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min 

• @shannon Ueunten Just want to check in with you here in the forms to see how everything is going. Remember, you have that phone call link above do you want to set up an appointment with me. I want to make sure that you’re on track!
  • @shannon Ueunten - Great to chat today...thanks for taking the time! Here are my notes for you from the call...

• Superfrog is on. I have adapted the plan to make sure you are good to do the race. Even though you aren't training for a 70.3™, I still want you to taper (albeit briefly) and race the race as best you can. 
    • Swim Focus - Straighter is better. Work on the right hand slightly out to the right after each breath...that's 1 x per 6 strokes...should do it. Play around with placement of hand if required. 
    • Bike Focus - Spend time in the aerobars...comfort is king. Try different cadences...could be that 85 feels better than 90 or 95 in certain situations. Only one way to find out!
    • Race Wheels - Let's put those on just before Superfrog so you get used to them (and we know they work, etc). 
    As for your timing, I was thinking we should plan for a worst case scenario. According to the site the swim is 8:20 to 08:50...and you have 9h 10m to be off the bike...so a combined Swim + T1 + Bike that ends by 6pm. You have to be off the bike by 6pm local...so have the local time on your watch!!!

That should be a 1:50 swim and a 10' transition...call it 2 hours. That gets you 7:10 to do the bike, or 2:23 per KM, or 15.6mph. If you swim and T1 faster than 2 hours, then you can afford to ride a bit slower, but we don't want to relax too much. 

When you start the bike, you start your bike computer, and this ride time is what you will use to 
    • 39km = 1:33 Ride Time 
    • 75km = 3:08 Ride Time
    • 111km = 4:24 Ride Time
    • 147km = 5:50 Ride Time
    • 177km = 7:01 Ride Time (this is the half lap so kinda funky)

Very excited to follow your training. When you have a chance, please book your call with me for early September!  https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min 

Onwards!

~ Coach P
  • @shannon Ueunten - OMG, new bike course. 😡 Nothing like last minute. Hills arent terrible...they aren't as windy and you do get to "rest" on the descent. You just have to get up them.

Good news is the "hill" is like 1.25% to 1.75% grade...max. Not even 2%...so it's not killer. And road quality looks good!

Given the new layout, here are the times for the "end" points... Out / Back / Out ... I didn't include times for the "hill" section as it falls in the middle and could get pretty confusing!

• 56km: 2h 14m
    • 90km: 3h 35m
    • 142km: 5h 38m

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P

This discussion has been closed.